It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:09 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

so today i was able to get out and use some of the info/ideas from blackdogs thread. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=65909

SPECIAL THANKS to blackdog, woodwalker, and northernexposure for all the info they provided!

( i made a video of all this, but i cant get it to post to photobucket :cry: )

the setup i have uses a camo 7x9 poly tarp from harbor feight. i plan on getting a silnylon tarp in the near future. i also have a mosquito net made by stansport. its the "double". i want to add a ground sheet to this setup as well. it will be made out of a tarp and will be cut to fit inside the mosquito net. im going to attach grommets to it and reinforce them with webbing. it will be staked out at all four corners with the mosquito net. the tarp and all hardware weighs 2 lbs. 3oz. ( not inc the net, which is pretty light ) once i get my ground sheet built ill weigh the whole thing again to get a final weight. all of the cord/stakes/hardware are kept in a bag and rolled up in the tarp.

as you can see it was pretty windy today. this ridgeline/stake setup held everything in place just fine.

the ridge line uses a carabiner and a loop knot to attach to one tree. then the ridgeline runs under the tarp and attaches to the other tree with a niteize figure 9 aluminum carabiner. attached to the ridgeline are two prussik knots attached to carabiners that pull the tarp tight. i needed to install grommets to the center of the tarp for this setup as there are none along the center line of the tarp from the factory.

the prussik knot is super easy to tie and allows the tarp to be fully adjusted as tight, or loose, and any where along the ridgeline you want. the niteize figure 9 carabiner holds the ridgeline nice and tight. i was a bit skeptical, but it really does work well.

the stakes are aluminum from coghlans. i removed the crappy white cord and replaced it with 550. ive attached a small carabiner so i can pull my guy lines through and attach to figure 9's. this allows me to adjust the tension on all four corners. the cord is attached to the tarp corners using loop knots. i felt like the cord was slipping in the small figure 9's. all i did to fix that was run my cord back to the carabiner and tied to it using a slip knot...problem solved.

here are some shots of the mosquito net. there is enough room for two people and some gear along the sides if needed, and plenty of room if only one person was using the shelter.

two new pieces of gear i took along with me were my kobalt ax. i only used it to pound the stakes into the ground. i used my new anza knife to cut cord.

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:43 pm 

if you have a kenmore or singer sewing machine handy, remove all the grommets around the perimeter of the tarp, fold the edge over 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch and hem with the longest stitch on the machine and then stitch in loops out of webbing strap every 2 ft. around the tarp and your tarp will handle high winds a lot better. the loops can e stitched in with a double pass of nylon upholstery thread and they will be strong. there is a poly string in the factory finished edge. stitching over the string will make the loops even tougher.

if you are very patient and like to sew, the hemmed edge can even be tripled by folding once and the again and working with the needle down all the way around. burying the needle after each sewing run allows you to pull tension on the fabric and make your double hem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:03 pm 

Nice setup!

Could you PM me a link to where you bought that knife? Every time you post a picture of it I like it more and more.

I'm curious where to go to own some women, myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

i think i got the video worked out. :?

i said "ground pad" a couple of times, but meant ground sheet. i also think i called a slip knot a loop knot... :lol: :oops:

this is my first ever video posted on a forum. 8)

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:29 pm 

Looks great, Darkside!

Carabiners offer a LOT of utility and ease for setup, but they also add a lot of weight.

I don't know how much weight you could drop, but a few sections of your current setup (such as the connection to the ground stakes) could be done without them. Example, threading a looped stake through the pull out loop on your guyline.

NXP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

can any body tell me if the video link works ( it works for me ), also are you able to view all the photos in my album??? i have it set to private. :?

its not like i have photos of me having sex with a goat or anything like that :oops: ...just curious.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

northernxposure wrote:
Looks great, Darkside!

Carabiners offer a LOT of utility and ease for setup, but they also add a lot of weight.

I don't know how much weight you could drop, but a few sections of your current setup (such as the connection to the ground stakes) could be done without them. Example, threading a looped stake through the pull out loop on your guyline.

NXP

thanks for the comment NXP!

yeah the biners are cool, but add up in weight. i could ditch the 4 i have on the stakes no doubt, and ive already considered doing that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

wyominglostandfound wrote:
if you have a kenmore or singer sewing machine handy, remove all the grommets around the perimeter of the tarp, fold the edge over 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch and hem with the longest stitch on the machine and then stitch in loops out of webbing strap every 2 ft. around the tarp and your tarp will handle high winds a lot better. the loops can e stitched in with a double pass of nylon upholstery thread and they will be strong. there is a poly string in the factory finished edge. stitching over the string will make the loops even tougher.

if you are very patient and like to sew, the hemmed edge can even be tripled by folding once and the again and working with the needle down all the way around. burying the needle after each sewing run allows you to pull tension on the fabric and make your double hem.

thanks for all the info. i dont own a sewing machine , but i think my mom does. i didnt think i would mod this tarp as i am in the market for a sil tarp. i was thinking equinox. i think this winter im gonna try tarp camping and leave the tent at home. i did pick up a eureka spitfire2 that i have not even set up yet. :shock:

actually now that im thinking about the silnylon tarp PM sent...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Banka87 wrote:
Nice setup!

Could you PM me a link to where you bought that knife? Every time you post a picture of it I like it more and more.

thanks for the comment.

i picked up my anza from a local gun show, but he has a website. it is an awesome knife IMO. i will be buying at least one more of his knives.

http://www.anzaknives.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:03 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
can any body tell me if the video link works ( it works for me ), also are you able to view all the photos in my album??? i have it set to private. :?

The video links works and looks cool. Thanks for posting it and for the post in general Darkside awesome job.

BTW - Nice pictures of molesting that goat :shock: .....just kidding! :lol: I can't see any of your albums, I tried cause you asked. :wink:

I can hear you out there now...."But mister Blackdog these wispy wind shirts are not uber tough and able to fend off meteors and wolfs". I say baaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they are really useful, pack real small and harder to F up than you might think and there is always duct tape. High on my things I like list.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Machinist wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:

The video links works and looks cool. Thanks for posting it and for the post in general Darkside awesome job.

BTW - Nice pictures of molesting that goat :shock: .....just kidding! :lol: I can't see any of your albums, I tried cause you asked. :wink:

thanks for the comment. the goat somehow ended up at my bachelor party. i was drunk which really makes it ok! :lol:

thanks for checking that out for me and responding!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:02 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Great Post! Thanks for sharing! I think we might try this out with our G.S. Troop sometime. :mrgreen:

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

NoAmnesty wrote:
Great Post! Thanks for sharing! I think we might try this out with our G.S. Troop sometime. :mrgreen:

what? pitching tarps, molesting goats, or both? :lol:

thanks for the comment!, but blackdog, northerexposure, and woodswalker are who set me straight with the tarp pitching skills. :wink:

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:11 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
NoAmnesty wrote:

what? pitching tarps, molesting goats, or both? :lol:

:shock: Most certainly pitching tarps! :shock:
There are no badges for molesting goats, silly! :lol:

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

NoAmnesty wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
NoAmnesty wrote:

what? pitching tarps, molesting goats, or both?

:shock: Most certainly pitching tarps! :shock:
There are no badges for molesting goats, silly! :lol:

yeah just playin :wink: if you do it post up the pics.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:55 pm 

Nice setup :D

Where did you get that bug net ? Looks easy to setup .... I need one as I live in black fly country.

*edit* Nevermind, found it :oops:

Last edited by Craig67 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:02 pm 

this thread has made me look at my 5lb tent on the back of my bob in a whole new light. I got to pick up a tarp and some knot knowledge and give this a try. -TBS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Craig67 wrote:
Nice setup :D

Where did you get that bug net ? Looks easy to setup .... I need one as I live in black fly country.

thanks for the comment!

i got mine from dicks. i was at the store in WPB and they were all out. guy said the boy scouts went in and cleaned them out. he said he could order it for me and have it shipped to my house. i seemed not interested. i asked how much shipping was and he said he would check the computer. it was like another 8.00 to ship it to my house. then i seemed really not interested. he asked his manager to come over and his manger punched in a code and like magic the shipping went away! along with the shipping so did the tax! i paid 24.99 shipped to my door. they waived the shipping, and some how waived the tax! :D :lol:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... Id=4055619

BTW- every person that walked by me at dicks asked if i needed help finding something, or if i had any questions about what i was looking at. when i seemed not interested the guy helping me went above and beyond to get me the item i wanted! dicks prices are not the best, but i will be more than happy to give them some more of my business in the future!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:22 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

thebigstick wrote:
this thread has made me look at my 5lb tent on the back of my bob in a whole new light. I got to pick up a tarp and some knot knowledge and give this a try. -TBS

i weighed it again with the mosquito net and stuffed them in a green ( middle size outdoor products dry bag, which rocks BTW ) and its at 2lbs 13oz. all i need to do now is built the ground sheet and its done. if i ditch the 4 carabiners from the stakes it may just be right at 3lbs give or take and ounce or so. i could drop a good deal of weight if/when i switch to a silnylon tarp.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:29 pm 

Its late & I do not see the video link ??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:29 am 

aa1pr wrote:

the link is the bottom pic 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:55 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I like the bug net setup. Is it no-see-um proof?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:09 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

aa1pr wrote:

click on this image.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:10 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Woods Walker wrote:
I like the bug net setup. Is it no-see-um proof?

cut from dicks web site

Mildew-resistant polyethylene
No-See-Um-size netting keeps out even the smallest biting creatures
Completely covers cot for a carefree night's sleep
Top ring can easily be hung from any tree branch
Dimensions: L 7'10" x W 4'3" x H 5'6"