Shoes / Boots in BoB?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

1200RT-P

Shoes / Boots in BoB?

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 am

I searched around a bit, but i couldn't find a dedicated discussion about this topic ....

Do you guys pack an extra pair of shoes in your kit? If so, have you found a good lightweight, "small" solution?

Ideally, if I was grabbing my BOB in a hurry, I'd already have my daily wear shoes on .... boots, merrell "sneakers", etc. But what if it was the dead of night and I had to grab my kit in a hurry - no time to put shoes on? I've got a full change of clothes in the kit, including socks - but no shoes.

Discuss .... :!:

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Shoes / Boots in BoB?

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:21 am

For the most part, except in rare occurances, you will have the extra time you need to get your boots and put them on before leaving. For the times you don't have the time (3:00 am and you are in bed while your house catches fire) you can:

1) Make the "home" of your boots right next to your BOB.
2) Keep some old tennis shoes or some such in the BOB.

I have a really light but sturdy pair of Pumas in my BOB that I used to use as my bouncer shoes in early 2000s, but my BOB is dedicated to "my house is on fire" scenario and not a live in the woods scenario.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:24 am

ninja-elbow wrote:.... but my BOB is dedicated to "my house is on fire" scenario and not a live in the woods scenario.
Yeah - my "bob" is for the "there was just a huge earthquake and my house is destroyed" scenario. If the earthquake is bad enough for me to grab the BOB in the middle of the night, i doubt i'd have time to gear up.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 am

I just keep my boots next to my BOB as well as a ton of my other "adventure" gear. If I'm down seconds, I got them little Pumas and the kitty cat is on her own :x

Also, my truck is part of my BOB. Even if it is out of gas or I cannot drive it away from my house, I can keep stuff in there too (as my BOB has a key in it).
President ZSC011

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 am

ninja-elbow wrote:...... (as my BOB has a key in it).
funny you mention that .... i was just thinking about the lack of keys in my BOB. An extra house and car key could easily come in handy if I had to leave NOW.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 am

If I'm not actually wearing my boots, they stay next to the front door. The pair I own now are slip-on types, but I have an old pair of 10-eye Doc's that are tied together by the laces, which make for a quick throw over the shoulder, or a quick hooking on to a loop for hands free carrying. Heavy but sometimes needed.

I keep a pair of running shoes bagged up though, ready to go with me as I'm usually wearing my boots, or if it's a weekend day and nice out, I may be wearing sandals.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 am

1200RT-P wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:...... (as my BOB has a key in it).
funny you mention that .... i was just thinking about the lack of keys in my BOB. An extra house and car key could easily come in handy if I had to leave NOW.
Yes, spare keys are essential IMO. Also take this into consideration though: What if your BOB was stolen?
President ZSC011

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:03 pm

another option: a 2nd bag (maybe one of those cheap gym bags you can get for $1 at the thrift store) with a full change of clothes, including shoes. House on fire? throw the bag out the window along with your bob and follow them... change when you hit the ground.

Awkward? yeah... Fast? yeah.

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 pm

I keep extra shoes in the car kit, but not in the BOB. My Winter pulk based kit has back up boots, though.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Suizen wrote:another option: a 2nd bag (maybe one of those cheap gym bags you can get for $1 at the thrift store) with a full change of clothes, including shoes. House on fire? throw the bag out the window along with your bob and follow them... change when you hit the ground.

That's my plan:

house on fire
cat and her gear out window
my my "man bowl" and BOB, and whatever else has time, out window next
put on my clothes (assuming I'm in skivvies)
get all the "out the window" crap into the truck

BTW, "man bowl" is what I call the red bowl thing I have on my dresser that my pocket EDC stuff (knife, keys, wallet, cellphone, change) goes into at the end of the day.
President ZSC011

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:24 pm

My BOB has a change of clothes, but no shoes. My INCH has 2 changes of clothes and a pair of shoes. They're my previous pair, once I purchased my new shoes. They have maybe 25% of the life left in them. If I needed to wear them for a few weeks, they would last, but not be as comfortable as a new pair. Both packs are left right next to my exterior door, so I could evac with both, and then figure out what to do after I am away from the primary threat. I also keep my normal shoes and sandals right next to my bed, so if I have the extra 5-10 seconds, I could grab those as well.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm

I have a very comfy pair of old mocs in the bottom of my bag with a rubber sole. I keep a pair of boots in the car, which is where my bob kit lives pretty much full time.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:21 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
BTW, "man bowl" is what I call the red bowl thing I have on my dresser that my pocket EDC stuff (knife, keys, wallet, cellphone, change) goes into at the end of the day.
Yeah, I was about to ask what a man bowl was...Those are typically called Valets and most men (that wear watches, rings, money clips, etc) have had them for centuries. I've even got a 100 year old valet that I found in an old barn, that is basically a clothes hanger for your next days clothes (that back then the wife would lay out for you), and it has a cupped section to put your wallet and pocket watch and all that into.

A quick Google search, mine is something like this:

A modern (metro) version of your Man Bowl would be something like this:

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread, I was just trying to educate.
The Lonely Raven - The Halo Hides My Horns
http://www.FirespeedTactical.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Lonely Raven wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
Yeah, I was about to ask what a man bowl was...Those are typically called Valets and most men (that wear watches, rings, money clips, etc) have had them for centuries. I've even got a 100 year old valet that I found in an old barn, that is basically a clothes hanger for your next days clothes (that back then the wife would lay out for you), and it has a cupped section to put your wallet and pocket watch and all that into.

A quick Google search, mine is something like this:

A modern (metro) version of your Man Bowl would be something like this:

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread, I was just trying to educate.
I was thinking, last weekend, about how nice it would be to have exactly that, something to keep my stuff nearby and organized should I need it in the night and don't have time to run around gathering my stuff. Lately I've had my pants, with everything in the pockets, clipped to waistband, ready to go, on the floor next to the bed. There's a pair of boots there as well, and anything else I migh tneed is sitting on the nightstand nearby.

Thanks for sharing!

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 pm

LOL .... i'll derail my own thread as well.

I've got something similar as well ... mine looks like this.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:44 pm

I have a pair of old sneakers in the trunk of my car. which is good because if I had to leave the apartment in a hurry due to fire. I probably would be getting my cat and not worrying about the shoes so much.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:07 am

There's a thread in the "Other Gear" sub-forum on emergency footwear for your BOB with a LOT of excellent suggestions in it.

If your walking with your pack during a bug out, which most serious preppers consider very possible if not likely, and something catastrophic happens to one of your shoes you are royally screwed. You can go no further. Extra footwear in your BOB is ESSENTIAL! You can have all the water filtering, food, weapons, whatever...if you're forced to remain stationary you're not bugging out, you're bugging in place. Nothing worries me more about bugging out than becoming immobilized...trapped!

This was a glaring omission in my BOB until just recently when I attached a canvas sack with some good hiking shoes in it to my bag since there isn't room inside for them. I did a lot of research on strong, flexible, lightweight footwear and tried to order some Helly Hanson water shoes but the purchase fell through. I consider the extra hiking shoes too heavy, the way they are attached to my BOB too sloppy, and they are merely an expediant solution until I can find something durable yet lightweight that can fit in the BOB proper.

Vibram Five Fingers are highly recommended, though I've never tried them.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:18 am

I keep a pair of boots near my BOB but not actually in it. I also have a pair of boots in my truck. The only actual footwear packed inside any of my bags would be a pair of hiker/trail Crocs inside the INCH. They work great to cross streams or as a camp shoe though can be a bit slick once worn down.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:08 am

^ spam. :evil:

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 am

Boots are part of my BOB; though they don't actually go inside the bag, I'm still not leaving home without at least grabbing them.

Ghost_Jaws

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 am

On my last base I kept a few clothing items in my go bag just in case the rockets started coming in and I had to hit the bunker real quick in the middle of the night. As for shoes, they are between me and the door so the only time i wouldn't get them on my feet is if I don't make it to the door, in which case I've got bigger problems.

The artist formerly known as Agent_Jaws. RIP old profile...

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

larmus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything romero, classic "b" rated zombie movies

Post by larmus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:20 pm

has everyone replaced their shoe laces with 550 cord... if not highly recommended. they have a little breakin period in order to retain the "bow" shape but worth it in the end to have a little extra cordage...
"Time to nut up, or shut up" - tallahassee

ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:51 pm

I keep a pair of flip flops in my trunk and during the summer mesh river shoes. Not exactly hard use gear, but they're convenient when I forget them on a trip/camping etc. Every time I get a new pair, the old ones replace them so they don't get too worn out. I should add a pair of boots though, just one more thing on the list.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Suizen wrote:another option: a 2nd bag (maybe one of those cheap gym bags you can get for $1 at the thrift store) with a full change of clothes, including shoes. House on fire? throw the bag out the window along with your bob and follow them... change when you hit the ground.

This^. I do this and it works out pretty nicely, because for the size of BOBs I end up having there's no room for a change of clothes. I try and keep some extra water bottles and food in it too, cause why not.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”