Favorite piece of gear you've never used?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Favorite piece of gear you've never used?

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 am

I dumped BFKs last fall and am down to just my pukko-styled knives. I did start carrying an exe though and still plan to switch back and fourth between axe and Spetz shovel.

Oh, and as a PNWer, I always pack rain pants but have never really used them. Rain coat and a good base layer under my pants seem to work OK (or wool pants in the 4th season).
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:34 pm

I have and love various fixed-blade knives, but I have never needed to use one. I always bring a campstove and tent, and so have never needed wood or a pinebough bed.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Reading this thread inspired me to bust out my new KaBar and use it to butcher some pork, so I could vacuum pack it for freezer storage. Worked like a champ, though the factory razor edge fades quickly and takes awhile to get it to a smooth shaving edge. The factory edge, while being incredibly sharp, is also incredibly rough and jagged due to the grinding wheel being so rough. Before you can get the edge back to shaving, you have to smooth out the roughness first.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Fire piston. I've tried it out, but I have not started a fire with it yet.

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:24 pm

My compass that I spent $80 on ad absolutely love. I used it to get familiar with. Otherwise, never had the need.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 pm

I don't know...
Maybe my KBar TDI or the pair of Blackhawk! mag carriers I bought about a week before I stopped shooting IDPA. Or my box o' holsters, some of whom have never held a loaded firearm...

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:29 pm

I was going to say the piece of aluminum foil I kept folded up, but I ended up using that tonight for dinner. I guess we hadn't purchased another box, and we ran out. We had barbeque steaks (instead of ribs) tonight, saved by my 'crazy prepping'.

I suppose the backup gear I carry is the never used piece, as, thankfully, my primaries have not failed. (yet?)

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:20 am

Chalk up another one for the water filter. Brand-new MRX miniworks(? I think?) that I've never actually used.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Kukri. Just sitting there.....
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:43 pm

I have a footlocker of gear that I've aquired over the years that hasn't ever really been used.

Avalanche beacon: thankfully never had to use it to locate a buried person, or had it used to locate me.

Heatsheet: have opened one up and practiced making shelters with it, but never "used" it.

Knives: I have many duplicate knives so that each pack has a similar/identical knife setup in it without having to try and remember which pack had the knife in it last. This happened after going on a hunt to find out I only had a small slipjoint in my pocket to dress out the animal.

I need to start selling off some of the other items I've never used and now after having them sit there for years no longer even see a use for them.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

txKingfisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I am Legend, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by txKingfisher » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Squirrley wrote:Chalk up another one for the water filter. Brand-new MRX miniworks(? I think?) that I've never actually used.

I forgot all about my filter.... Katadyn Hiker
TEAM GREENWIRE

Moe

Post by Moe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:21 pm

SteamPunk wrote:My mossberg 500.

Got it last Christmas and still haven't shot it...

Glad I'm not the only one. I've got a mossy 500 sitting in the safe waiting... begging... to be taken out. I've been to the range a bunch of times since I picked it up, but I keep holding out for some perfect trip when I'll have all day to break it in. With three kids, it'll be in that safe for another ten years if I keep that shit up. I hereby pledge to get it out within the next month.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:29 pm

SOG SEAL Revolver. Brand new, unused except to slice a few sheets of paper when I got it. Why? Cause in the woods I either use my Bushman, which is the perfect camp/beater knife, or my mid sized folding saw which is bigger than the SEAL saw.
I should sell it.

Also, one more water filter non user here. Still glad to know it is there.

In the PNW as well and never used my rain poncho in my pack. Why not? Cause I always have a rain shell on or packed, so don't need it.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

johnwiseman

Post by johnwiseman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:32 pm

My riot gun.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”