Favorite piece of gear you've never used?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ghost_Jaws

Favorite piece of gear you've never used?

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:42 am

So here's a funny question for you guys: What's your favorite piece of bug-out gear that you've acquired, but never really used? And using that shiney new knife to cut open letters doesn't count as using it :p

For me it's going to be my RAT RC-4. I have had it here in Iraq for a few months now and still haven't really had to really use it, but it is still a very nice piece of kit that will likely be an EDC item in the field. About the most stressful use it's seen so far is cutting open cases of water or 550 cord, so in a way it makes me sad that such a stout item has seen so little use. Well I take it back, I did use it to cut up a steak one day :D

So what's your favorite piece of awesomely under-utilized gear?

The artist formerly known as Agent_Jaws. RIP old profile...

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

AZMedic

Re: Favorite piece of gear you've never used?

Post by AZMedic » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:45 am

My basecamp water filter or one of my multi backpacks that are meant for more than car camping
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Ghost_Jaws

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:59 am

A water filter was one of the last things I'd expect to see on this list haha, aside from my camp axe it's been on the top of my "most used" list.

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:02 am

My Silcock key.

:lol:

Seriously though, my FAK. Aside from stealing an aspirin or two (when not on a hike) I have never used the first aid kit I haul around everywhere. Almost 2 pounds of stuff, still in the original wrappers.

...not that I WANT to have to use a Hyfin chest seal...

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:02 am

I just always bring more than enough water..I mean when ya keep a flat of water in your car at all times then 7 gallons for just an overnighter...can ya really run out?
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:06 am

My solar charger. I've used it to charge my dingoo (hand held game system), but never for batteries for my flashlight or anything.

I haven't used my RC-4 yet either, but it's more from a lack of going outdoors once it gets into the 90s as opposed to a desire to use it. Yes, I know Iraq is hot as hell.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:57 am

All my water purification gear: the MSR Miniworks, the purification tabs (three different kinds), the coffee filters, and the two full seven gallon Reliance containers. I've never had to use them, but it's a relief to know I can.

Next would be my pry-bar and bolt cutters.

I've never shot a person with my Glock, but I shoot at the range so I guess it doesn't count.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Pansy

Post by Pansy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:04 am

Condoms! :shock:

I kid, I kid... Don't be a fool, wrap your tool!

Seriously, I expect some first aid items would top the list for most people. Fortunately I have never had to use a tourniquet or as Mister Dark mentioned, a chest seal.

Ghost_Jaws

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:17 am

Yeah good point about the first aid items, I guess I was thinking of stuff you picked up expecting to use but it just didn't happen.

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:09 am

My body armor, worn it, never had to use it.

Other than that, hmm, can't really think of anything I haven't used, don't have any fancy knives or really nice gear that I'd deem as a "favorite" I've used all the higher dollar stuff I can think of, besides some of the "oh shit" items in the FAK, but not sure that really counts.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:19 am

I would have to agree with the water purification stuff. It seems that everything else I have used before :mrgreen: I have a frontier straw and aqua mira water bottle, both still in package :?
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

The Sarge

Post by The Sarge » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:21 am

My load bearing vest, I've worn it plenty of times for something like a dress-up (not with gear on it) but never actually gotten around to using it to carry all that much
When you think about it, the end of Romeo & Juliet is acutally pretty funny. (Note that some of the females in my class called me quite a few things when I said this, none of them nice)
Jeriah wrote:A sword is like a sling: useless unless you also pack the stones necessary to actually use the thing.

che4rev

Post by che4rev » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:02 pm

I know this sounds crazy because I live in the North West, but the things in my BOB that I haven't used are my ponchos. I keep two, one for a ground mat and the other to keep above my tent to supplement my rainfly. I guess I don't camp when it is rainy, which is a shortcoming on my part.
Pacifism is just self righteous complicity.

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:25 pm

My LBE. Had every intent of bringing my new coyote brown FLC vest so I could mount canteens and utility pockets near my hips and away from my back and I got overruled again about how I shouldn't wear anything military while I'm too near the border. Low and behold, six other guys in the crew are using all kinds of milsurp and one guy has a big ACU tactical bag with a set of khaki deuce gear with M1956 pouches on it. Stuff just makes so much sense for extended outings, such as doing geological surveying in the desert in >100 degree heat for three more weeks. A full camelbak just won't cut it.

Beyond that, my kershaw assisted folder, etool, and I've never once used my poncho in the field, though I've used it in public on a number of occasions just because an umbrella just wouldn't do.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Any of the BFKs I got. I bought them with intentions to use them but, other than the kukri machete in some brush clearing volunteer work, I never use a huge belt knife regularly.

I used to always get a new mess kit every year and ended up just using a GSI stainless cup and a plastic bowl from the Jet Boil.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:05 pm

I have only put 50 rounds through my XD40...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:06 pm

SAM splint

Water filter (always end up just using Katadyn MicroPure tablets).
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...

Post by SwampRat » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Katadyn Base Camp water filter, used it once on 8 months... Sadness.
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:55 pm

I have to admit I try every thing out at least once, so I can not do that.

EDIT: I have yet to use the AMK bivvy bag or the AMK spaceblanket for 2. I can nto see myself repacking these as small as they came.
Last edited by aa1pr on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteamPunk

Post by SteamPunk » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:13 pm

My mossberg 500.

Got it last Christmas and still haven't shot it...
Your... merciful God. He destroyed His own beloved, rather than let a mediocrity share in the smallest part of His glory.
-Salieri

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Gerber LMF II. I really like but it is always either too big or heavy.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Ghost_Jaws

Post by Ghost_Jaws » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:43 am

Seems like for a lot of us it's some "essential" piece of gear that we're not using. Like not using a poncho in the northwest seems weird to me, I lived there for years and it was always wet. Living in Arizona, not using any water purification also seems weird to me, but then I hike to my camp sites (not drive :p ).

As mentioned before, first aid stuff is stuff that you go out hoping not to use, so I'm not really counting that stuff. While I haven't used everything in it, I have used my first aid kit fairly frequently. But that's mostly because I travel a lot and keep simple things like headache meds and anti-itch cream in there in addition to the trauma pads. Therefore, I consider my first aid kit as a "frequently used" item.

I have also put a decent amount of range/field time in with my guns, despite never having shot a human with them. I figure as long as you've put a decent amount of rounds through them, that counts as used.

For the stuff you haven't used, have you considered taking them out of your kit or are you sure you'll need it at some point? For me, every time I go out I try to think of what I don't use that I can ditch to lose weight. Sad part is I haven't had the chance to go out for quite a while, but I'll get back to that eventually.

Jaws' Junk:
BOB testing thread
Underwear thread
Knife & Tool thread
IFAK post
My Site

Gullars

Post by Gullars » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:02 am

Waterpurification tablets probably! The mountain water here in Norway is probably as clean as it gets. Still bring it, you never know when you really need it! Far from that I have some field rations from the Norwegian Army just in case. Barely ever used, but nice to have!

txKingfisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I am Legend, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by txKingfisher » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:10 am

My Robinson Arms XCR 556........... I've had it for 9 months now and I've only shot it twice. :( I took it on a hog hunt but I ended up doing the dirty deed with a Remington 700. A small part of me wishes for some red dawn action to really break in my XCR :lol:

(Also I have an 1895 Mauser that I have had for about 6 months and still havent gotten around to shooting it yet)
TEAM GREENWIRE

Return to “Bug Out Gear”