B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by TAB » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:38 pm

The MOLLE belt is upside down. Please correct me if there is a reason you like it better the way it is pictured.
Last edited by TAB on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:41 pm

6UNF1GHTER wrote:
One thing I will say, the MOLLE straps do make a world of difference... even better when you decide to ditch the ALICE frame and go with the 1606 AC.
Does the 1606 have a cargo frame like the ALICE does?
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing

DrunkWookiee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead

Post by DrunkWookiee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:30 pm

MadMatt wrote:
DrunkWookiee wrote:Thats a nice, compact looking sleeping bag. What kind is it?

And how much does the BOB weigh?
Thanks, I think the brand is Suisse Sport. I picked it up at Big 5 sporting goods for $25. (normally $79) I've used it in -10*F and stayed comfy. It rolls out pretty big, great for tall folks (of which I'm not). One warning: a waifish female friend of mine bought the same bag and said that she froze on our last camping trip (35*F+) She always runs kinda cold, but you can make your descision.
Suisse Sport. Thanx for the info, Matt. Great looking BOB :)
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon.

DrunkWookiee's IFAK

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead

Post by MadMatt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:42 pm

TAB wrote:The MOLLE belt is upside down. Please correct me if there is a reason you like it better the way it is pictured.
Actually I had no idea... It seemed like a huge upgrade from the older ALICE belt, so I gave no second thought. I guess logically when I put it on, I figured the more Lumbar support the better... I can't seem to find a difinitive answer online. (I've seen it pictured both ways) But hell, I'll flip 'er over and se how she rides :wink:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:09 pm

TAB is right.... your waistbelt is on upside-down. I'm not sure why it goes that way, but I've always hooked them up with the hump at the bottom. Have heard of people doing them the other way though, and ending up with a hotspot/chafing/blisters and general discomfort.
Somewhere I had a link to the manual, I'll see if I can locate it.

I would be curious if it does work out for you though.
TAB wrote:
6UNF1GHTER wrote:
One thing I will say, the MOLLE straps do make a world of difference... even better when you decide to ditch the ALICE frame and go with the 1606 AC.
Does the 1606 have a cargo frame like the ALICE does?
It does not have a cargo shelf like the ALICE, and the LC one does not fit it.
Here is what one of my 1606's look like:

That is, really the only downfall to frame that I can see with the 1606 frame... that I can see. Kinda wish there was something for that.

Let us know how it works out Matt! (and get us a weight on the setup too)
The Gunfighter-

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead

Post by MadMatt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:29 pm

I've had the pack set up like this going on 3 years. No hotspots, granted I don't typically backpack more than 3 miles. I also never had a good weight discipline. if it fit, I carried it. The new,older, me is watching the weight of my pack discomfort isn't a necessity. With watching weight, and flipping the pack, who knows, might actually enjoy backpacking!

As far as weight goes, I don't have a scale. I have dozens of knives, several flashlights, about 10 compasses, enough tools to fix the space shuttle... but I am embarrassed to say that I don't have a bathroom scale. I need to hit up the thrift store this weekend and pick one up. Some things I just don't want to buy new, I don't care who's bathroom floor it was on. :lol:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MadMatt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:39 pm

Oh, yeah, and thank all of you guys for taking the time to read and reply to my thread!
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...

Post by SwampRat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:12 am

You can get a nifty little Fishing scale for around 5 or 10 bucks at fishing stores or even a wally mart, just hook ur pack or what ever to it and ta-da. Lots of backpackers use them to test their loads. Just a thought.
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MadMatt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 am

SwampRat wrote:You can get a nifty little Fishing scale for around 5 or 10 bucks at fishing stores or even a wally mart, just hook ur pack or what ever to it and ta-da. Lots of backpackers use them to test their loads. Just a thought.
Good call!
We're hitting the thrif stores in about an hour or so. If I get skunked, fish scale is the weigh to go! :lol:
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MadMatt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Well, I done did it! I found a packable shelter, for 12 Bucks! and here she is:

No leaks, some minor care was needed. All in all, I'm a happy camper!
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

SwampRat
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(the remake), any of the resident evil films, 28 days later, armies of darkness, dead snow... ah hell it's like pickin a favorite child...

Post by SwampRat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:37 pm

MadMatt wrote:We're hitting the thrif stores in about an hour or so. If I get skunked, fish scale is the weigh to go! :lol:
Nice 8)

Thats a pretty swift little tent for 12 bucks.

I got that Alice Pack you sent me in the Mail today. Me got a Happy!

I'll re-post this in the feedback thread but I'm sitting here with it, I just want to let anyone who might be reading this know that I can vouch for this guy. If your considering buying something off his trading post thread, feel free to proceed without fear, very fast shipping and no deception.
Upon reading one of my posts you should assume that before I post I reread my posts twice and then often again after I post to check and recheck for spelling and grammatical errors. And I still miss most of them because, as it turns out, when you are home-schooled, you are only as smart as your mom.

TAB

Post by TAB » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:05 pm

MadMatt wrote:Well, I done did it! I found a packable shelter, for 12 Bucks! and here she is:

No leaks, some minor care was needed. All in all, I'm a happy camper!
It looks like I have that exact same tent. I had a seamstress sew velcro at the opening as there is no zipper and the only way to close it was with a few black ties that are sewn on. Mine was not waterproof, so I sealed the seams and sprayed the top heavily with waterproofer.

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MadMatt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:19 pm

SwampRat Thanks a bunch for the feedback. That was above and beyond... I'm glad you liked your gear. I'll be posting some new stuff in the next few days so stand by...

Tab Yeah sounds like the same one. Texsport? Good call on the velcro, I'll look into it. even tied, after a hevy deluge with the hose she stayed dry. You'll notice that yours probably has plastic pins at the top of the poles... One of mine was broken, so I replaced them both with brass tubing. I took two concentrically different sized tubes to double the wall thickness for durability and put them thu a 7/32 hole I drilled and secured the whole mess with glue. seems pretty solid for what it is. I also flipped the waist belt on the pack. after some adjustments, all seems well. I cant feel a major difference, but it will save me from embarrassment in future picture posts :mrgreen:
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

TAB

Post by TAB » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:17 pm

MadMatt wrote:SwampRat Thanks a bunch for the feedback. That was above and beyond... I'm glad you liked your gear. I'll be posting some new stuff in the next few days so stand by...

Tab Yeah sounds like the same one. Texsport? Good call on the velcro, I'll look into it. even tied, after a hevy deluge with the hose she stayed dry. You'll notice that yours probably has plastic pins at the top of the poles... One of mine was broken, so I replaced them both with brass tubing. I took two concentrically different sized tubes to double the wall thickness for durability and put them thu a 7/32 hole I drilled and secured the whole mess with glue. seems pretty solid for what it is. I also flipped the waist belt on the pack. after some adjustments, all seems well. I cant feel a major difference, but it will save me from embarrassment in future picture posts :mrgreen:
I camped out in it one night, and the only place I could find clear of sharp rocks was a slightly depressed area. I did not realize this until halfway during a very rainy night... I literally woke up in a little swimming pool. My sleeping bag was completely soaked. We threw a nice big tree stump on the fire which produced enough heat to dry my bag in minutes as I held it open even with all that rain still coming down, but I spent the rest of the night in my truck. I'm telling you this because mine seemed waterproof enough too when I first got it. Its a great little tent though; very simple and roomy.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Dedicated poles? Can you use trekking poles for tent poles?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MadMatt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Squirrley wrote:Dedicated poles? Can you use trekking poles for tent poles?
I suppose you could... I've never carried the alumium trekking poles before though. I don't feel too bad about carrying the supplied poles...
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:03 am

You should try, it was an eye-opening experience when I started using poles. going uphill is so much easier, faster/can go longer etc.. Plus multi-use items ftw
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”