B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok, my last thread helped me sort out some issues. Taking Gunny's advice, I went ahead and put together my own BOB thread.

Let me preface with the fact that an MSR stove and fuel bottles are in my near future. I also want a good flashlight that I can keep in here. (seperate from my EDC)

Here's the breakdown:

The pack: Med. ALICE on frame. I cut the troublesome continuous loop-straps and added side release buckles and sliders for easier opening of the storm flap. I also updated the suspension wit MOLLE II shoulder straps(yoke) & MOLLE II padded waistband & sleep system carrier.
On the outside you'll see a Cold Steel Recon Tanto, 1qt. canteen, & E-Tool.
Image
Image
Image
Image
The guts:
0* sleeping bag (I've actually used this bag in -10F worked like a champ!)
5'x7' camo tarp
Thermarest sleeping pad
Camp Saw
Extra stakes/paracord storage
Duct tape on business card (I'd really like to give proper credit for this idea, but he name escapes me at the moment. Needless to say it was another ZS'er)
Dynamo Flashlight
Nova light led task light
Honing steel
mag/spark bar
Fire paste
Emergency candle
Flagging tape
Monocular
Multi-tool
Nail clippers
Tweezers
Image
Image
USGI mess-kit
Fork/knife (I took cheapo kitchen utensils and popped off the bakelite scales)
Enamel/steel cup
TP
Black lawn and leaf bags (heating h20, poncho, covering gear, etc.)
white household garbage bags (waste disposal)
Asst. Ziploc bags & Aluminum foil
Bag of high energy candy
Q-tips
Clif bars
Image
Survival cards (if you don't have these, YOU NEED THEM!)
Wire saw
Heliograph
waterproof/water carrying bag
Survival set of fishing tackle
Snare wire
Potable Aqua tabs
Camillus pocket knife
Match safe full of 000 steel wool (for use as tinder)
Space blanket
Small bag with new Bic lighter and some dryer lint for tinder
Needle and thread (same as I use in the leather shop, very tough stuff)
Storm whistle
All kept in a USGI M-16 pouch...
Image
Modest FAK
FM 21-76
Pocket Ref. (you can rebuild society with this book. It's like having the internet in analog)
Nite Ize Figure 9's
Texsport pots and pans (pretty hi-speed little buggers)
Nalgene water purifier
NOAA weather alert radio
Image
Cammenga tritium marching compass
Garmin E-trex legend GPS
Image
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

User avatar
Chase The hero
* * * * *
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am
Location: College Station, The Empire of Texas

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by Chase The hero » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Looks like a good setup! one thing i did find though, it that those wire saws are pretty much crap. I have never found/used one that didnt snap on me while camping. It may be heavier, but try a folding saw instead (gerber one http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/405). I personally use a gerber back paxe (http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/182) and i really like it and its pretty lightweight for a hatchet.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

User avatar
Defeater
* * *
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:34 am
Location: On the KP, WA

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by Defeater » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Chase The hero wrote:Looks like a good setup! one thing i did find though, it that those wire saws are pretty much crap. I have never found/used one that didnt snap on me while camping. It may be heavier, but try a folding saw instead (gerber one http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/405). I personally use a gerber back paxe (http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/182) and i really like it and its pretty lightweight for a hatchet.
He says he already has a camp saw in there (which I will have to take his word for since I can't see any of the posted pics).
AK, .45 ACP (but aware 9mm will do the job), Red Wire, Pie, Seahawks.
Micro Survival Kit / Tactical Diaper Bag / Bugout First Aid Kit
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878

User avatar
Chase The hero
* * * * *
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:02 am
Location: College Station, The Empire of Texas

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by Chase The hero » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Defeater wrote:
Chase The hero wrote:Looks like a good setup! one thing i did find though, it that those wire saws are pretty much crap. I have never found/used one that didnt snap on me while camping. It may be heavier, but try a folding saw instead (gerber one http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/405). I personally use a gerber back paxe (http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/182) and i really like it and its pretty lightweight for a hatchet.
He says he already has a camp saw in there (which I will have to take his word for since I can't see any of the posted pics).
ah, ok. nevermind then. I just kinda breezed through it and saw wire saw and thought to myself "well he should be warned about them and how they typically suck". Thanks for the heads up.
Kommander wrote:
Hoot Harrington wrote:Kids, pizzas, same thing.
Well they are both tasty
RickOShea wrote: there are only three kinds of snake that I don't like: live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like snakes.

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Chase The hero wrote:
Defeater wrote:
Chase The hero wrote:Looks like a good setup! one thing i did find though, it that those wire saws are pretty much crap. I have never found/used one that didnt snap on me while camping. It may be heavier, but try a folding saw instead (gerber one http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/405). I personally use a gerber back paxe (http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/182) and i really like it and its pretty lightweight for a hatchet.
He says he already has a camp saw in there (which I will have to take his word for since I can't see any of the posted pics).
ah, ok. nevermind then. I just kinda breezed through it and saw wire saw and thought to myself "well he should be warned about them and how they typically suck". Thanks for the heads up.
I've had a couple go south on me before too. I did however see a cool trick where you attach the rings to both ends of a bent, green branch and, essentially make a bow-saw. Seemed pretty cool. I'll check out the Gerber too.
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Looking good so far. :D

I think perhaps there is a bit too much gear attached to the outside of the pack. Still it looks rather well compressed just the same.

Things I would dump:

1. Dynamo flashlight aka crank light.
2. Some of your pots. The USGI mess kit with a cup is enough.
3. Flagging tape.
4. If aluminum those tent stakes.
5. Maybe fire paste.
6. Light sticks.
7. Maybe nail clippers.
8. White household bags.

I would replace the crank light with an LED headlamp. Those Al tent stakes should be replaced with V-pegs or anything else that is bend resistant. I would add a little more food and consider some extra clothing/rain gear. I don’t trust inflatable pads 100% though use them for camping. Maybe consider a closed cell pad as these can’t fail. If that 5x7 tarp is for shelter consider a larger one. I guess there will be others along to offer advice too. I liked the mix of old school ALICE gear with Molle belt, shoulder straps and sleeping bag carrier.
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

none1
* * * *
Posts: 868
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by none1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Looks like a good set up.

Couple thoughts:
Do you only have one canteen for water? I like to have at least 3 liters full when hiking. GPS good, nice compass as backup, GREAT, I'd throw in a map protractor to use with the cammenga, and some maps of the arena. Compass is not a back up to the gps, compass + protractor + maps are, or vice versa. :)

to etool or not to etool - its a nice tool, but heavy .... lota folks go with a garden trowl, I got a decent one at home depot for $1.50, digs a decent cat hole.

I like to keep clothes in my BOB .... are you BO because house is on fire and you're in jammies? Are you at church or somewhere else and not in suitable BO clothes? Even if I'm dressed for a BO, I like to have a change of dry clothes and socks in the BOB, and hat gloves, etc if its cold.

Poncho or rain gear?

Looks like you are almost overly redundant on tinder.

Your sleep system looks nice and light, don't want the sleeping bag to get wet, I might add a waterproof bivy or larger tarp. I like bivy + tarp + bag combos.

Looks good so far!
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 am

Woods Walker wrote:Looking good so far. :D

I think perhaps there is a bit too much gear attached to the outside of the pack. Still it looks rather well compressed just the same.

Things I would dump:

1. Dynamo flashlight aka crank light.
2. Some of your pots. The USGI mess kit with a cup is enough.
3. Flagging tape.
4. If aluminum those tent stakes.
5. Maybe fire paste.
6. Light sticks.
7. Maybe nail clippers.
8. White household bags.

I would replace the crank light with an LED headlamp. Those Al tent stakes should be replaced with V-pegs or anything else that is bend resistant. I would add a little more food and consider some extra clothing/rain gear. I don’t trust inflatable pads 100% though use them for camping. Maybe consider a closed cell pad as these can’t fail. If that 5x7 tarp is for shelter consider a larger one. I guess there will be others along to offer advice too. I liked the mix of old school ALICE gear with Molle belt, shoulder straps and sleeping bag carrier.
Thanks for the advice! Funny, all the things you reccommended, I have here at home. I kinda' felt like I upgraded with the things I listed :?

I am heavily considering a larger tarp (seems to be a common reccomendation)
One thing I forgot tomention is I do have more food and clothing than what was pictured. I have, in the bag right now, a set of MarPats that I got from a friend of a friend, and 3 pairs of socks (which to me is the most important!) as well as about 1800-2000 calories of different canned goods. I will upgrade the food to MRE'd or something, but should I have to BO I'd hate to have no food if not designer food.
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

6UNF1GHTER
* * *
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:53 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.
Location: Mountain Hole, Idaho

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:06 am

Looks pretty good!
Have you taken it for a test run yet to see how it rides?
From the pictures your MSS carrier might be a little floppy, depending on how you routed the straps.

One thing I will say, the MOLLE straps do make a world of difference... even better when you decide to ditch the ALICE frame and go with the 1606 AC. There are some threads here regarding it.

The only thing I do first and front would be to drop the E-Tool.
I'm sure there will be more refining, from the other members here.


(edit.... one more suggestion from me is to dump the canned food.... weight factor.)

Oh, and get out there and test it out... you will figure out what needs to be worked on from there.
Damn good for a starter bag though...

The Gunfighter-
Image

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 am

none1 wrote:Looks like a good set up.
Couple thoughts:
Do you only have one canteen for water? I like to have at least 3 liters full when hiking. GPS good, nice compass as backup, GREAT, I'd throw in a map protractor to use with the cammenga, and some maps of the arena. Compass is not a back up to the gps, compass + protractor + maps are, or vice versa. :)
to etool or not to etool - its a nice tool, but heavy .... lota folks go with a garden trowl, I got a decent one at home depot for $1.50, digs a decent cat hole.
I like to keep clothes in my BOB .... are you BO because house is on fire and you're in jammies? Are you at church or somewhere else and not in suitable BO clothes? Even if I'm dressed for a BO, I like to have a change of dry clothes and socks in the BOB, and hat gloves, etc if its cold.
Poncho or rain gear?
Looks like you are almost overly redundant on tinder.
Your sleep system looks nice and light, don't want the sleeping bag to get wet, I might add a waterproof bivy or larger tarp. I like bivy + tarp + bag combos.
Looks good so far!
I actually keep about 18 gal. of H2o stored at the house alll divided between Jerrys, camelbaks, canteens, botas, and Nalgenes. Should i need to BO, I'll grab what I can. I just figured the 1qt was convenient to have on there.
I like the Idea of the protractor! Good call. I'm pretty experienced in orienteering, but I'm still learning the finer points of real land nav. I do actually have a local street map in the little vlcro flap FWIW.
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:14 am

6UNF1GHTER wrote:Looks pretty good!
Have you taken it for a test run yet to see how it rides?
From the pictures your MSS carrier might be a little floppy, depending on how you routed the straps.

One thing I will say, the MOLLE straps do make a world of difference... even better when you decide to ditch the ALICE frame and go with the 1606 AC. There are some threads here regarding it.

The only thing I do first and front would be to drop the E-Tool.
I'm sure there will be more refining, from the other members here.


(edit.... one more suggestion from me is to dump the canned food.... weight factor.)

Oh, and get out there and test it out... you will figure out what needs to be worked on from there.
Damn good for a starter bag though...

The Gunfighter-
One thing I can boast about, the bag feels like it was shrink wrapped for shipping... Nothing flops. At all. Maintains sound discipline too. She rides comfy, I've actually had/carried this pack for years. It's pretty just the loadout I've been tweaking lately. I'll weigh it asap. I'm curious what she's swinging right now anyway
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am

Yea don’t need anything expensive or fancy when it comes to food.

Image

Image

But keep away from cans if you intend to pack it. Just too heavy. Consider a poncho to protect from the rain and wind. One of the most important clothing items is a hat so get one of those too. Unless I missed it a bandanna is a great multi purpose gear item that is very UL.
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Heimdall
* * *
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:24 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any thing where the un dead are made more deader, and Sleepless in Seattle... what, I would totally do Meg Ryan in that flick.
Location: Beverly Hills of the Gheto

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by Heimdall » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:37 am

You have one tiny bottle of watter purification tablets and I assume the Nalgene water purifier is a watter bottle. Not bad but Id get some kind of small back packer watter filter system in that pack, and as said more capacity to carry it you'll be dehydrated in no time if you don't, or you'll have the shats, which will lead to dehydration. and on that note, I see you didn't forget the but wipe, you can use leaves but why would you.

Moist towels like at BBQ places are good to have to, if your walking around in the bush for a wile being clean will become a must, feet, pits, hands, nether region. Small travel size toothbrush, toothpaste and floss to, I hear a lot of people say its not important to keep your teeth clean but I beg to differ, ever heard of trench mouth. The floss can have other uses as well, ever see Macgyver?

A couple extra pair of socks are a must, try this wear the same pair of socks for the next 5 days, yea if you don't want to now, think how bad it will be when the falthy (yes I said Falthy) things are rubbing blisters in your feet. Being clean in the bush doesn't just make it a more pleasant experience, it also helps keep you healthy.

(Edit) I for got to mention, I couldn't agree more with you about the pocket reference, great item to have.
I might be in the basement. I'll go upstairs and check.
Image

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 am

I'd ditch the cup and the mess kit and replace both with a GI canteen cup. The GI canteen cup is lighter than a mess kit and can double as a cup. It'll also fit inside your canteen carrier thus freeing more room inside your rucksack and lessening your load.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Ok, so I took some of your advice, and there's only one solution...OPERATION: Backyard Bug-Out.

I have a decent sized back yard with a diverse mix of foliage. my wife has been doing gardening for the last two weeks, so there's a good mix of green and dry limbs for building/burning. I won't "seed" the yard with any additional items, but I feel that to keep things realistic, I should be able to use whatever is in my immediate AO. I will be "bugging out" around 6:00pm. I'll have my wife set my alarm for the exact time, so as to be a surprise. I've written down a dump/add list based on your reccomendations, but I will wait to change the loadout based on my observations. As far as pack weight goes, I've carried this hog much heavier than this before... but I guess to keep things on the up and up I could strap her on and walk around the block. I just got back from a camping trip so going to the woods is more than I'm commited to today... Any input?
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

User avatar
larmus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:04 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything romero, classic "b" rated zombie movies
Location: benson, arizona

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by larmus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:01 pm

sounds like a plan! i like the way your b.o.b is set up, good items to have, lots of good input from others... like ODA 226 said i would ditch the mess kit and go with just the canteen cup, very versitile food/drink, thats all i carry in my bob for eating outta cuz all drinking is done from my canteen or hydration pack...

pics of this outting would be cool or have her time you getting up till you have eveything you need to bugout with... just a suggestion...
"Time to nut up, or shut up" - tallahassee

ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:58 pm

larmus wrote:sounds like a plan! i like the way your b.o.b is set up, good items to have, lots of good input from others... like ODA 226 said i would ditch the mess kit and go with just the canteen cup, very versitile food/drink, thats all i carry in my bob for eating outta cuz all drinking is done from my canteen or hydration pack...

pics of this outting would be cool or have her time you getting up till you have eveything you need to bugout with... just a suggestion...
I actually keep a canteen cup in my bushcraft gear. It is versatile, I agree, but cooking is MUCH easier out of the mass kit. I'm still on the fence about the pots/pans...

We did discuss the timed bug-out. We're thinking 5mins. what do you guys think?

I will definitely take/post pics. Maybe the Mrs. will be lie a Bug-out journalist 8)
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:09 pm

My AO...
Image

Image
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

jake831
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:27 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by jake831 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:28 pm

you can definitley make use of the park bench ;) haha backyard mock-bugouts are great. Even just testing out equipment. I always try to test things out in a familiar area/situation a few times before really trusting it. Like when I got my MSS i went and slept out in the backyard with it. Your backyard may not be the Rocky's, but I'm willing to bet it has the same weather as the area you are bugging out to(especially if your humping it out with your BOB).

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 pm

jake831 wrote:you can definitley make use of the park bench ;) haha backyard mock-bugouts are great. Even just testing out equipment. I always try to test things out in a familiar area/situation a few times before really trusting it. Like when I got my MSS i went and slept out in the backyard with it. Your backyard may not be the Rocky's, but I'm willing to bet it has the same weather as the area you are bugging out to(especially if your humping it out with your BOB).
Roger that.
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

SouthPAW
* *
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:47 am

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by SouthPAW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:23 am

Survival cards (if you don't have these, YOU NEED THEM!)
Ok, what are they, and why do I need them? :wink:

DrunkWookiee
* * *
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:55 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead
Location: Oklahoma

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by DrunkWookiee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:27 am

Thats a nice, compact looking sleeping bag. What kind is it?

And how much does the BOB weigh?
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon.

DrunkWookiee's IFAK

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:04 am

SouthPAW wrote:
Survival cards (if you don't have these, YOU NEED THEM!)
Ok, what are they, and why do I need them? :wink:
They're weather proof printed cards, with basic info on surviving in different environments, illustrations for traps snares and fishing techniques, first aid, ground to air signals, etc. really pretty cool. I've had mine since I was like 6. The copyright date on mine is 1976. I'm pretty sure they're still around tho.
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

MadMatt
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Versus, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Night/Day/Land of the Dead. Oh yeah, and Return of the Living Dead
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Contact:

Re: B*O*B Quasi-dialed in...

Post by MadMatt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:10 am

DrunkWookiee wrote:Thats a nice, compact looking sleeping bag. What kind is it?

And how much does the BOB weigh?
Thanks, I think the brand is Suisse Sport. I picked it up at Big 5 sporting goods for $25. (normally $79) I've used it in -10*F and stayed comfy. It rolls out pretty big, great for tall folks (of which I'm not). One warning: a waifish female friend of mine bought the same bag and said that she froze on our last camping trip (35*F+) She always runs kinda cold, but you can make your descision.
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:ETA - pabst blue ribbon AND a machete! hard fucking core bro! 8)
Audaces Fortuna Iuvat
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”