Superglue to strengthen custom sewing / molle webbing etc?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gillis

Superglue to strengthen custom sewing / molle webbing etc?

Post by gillis » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 pm

I have a Maxpedition Pigmy Falcon II pack that I sewed extra molle style webbing to. I have a buddy at work that suggested that I strengthen the stitching with superglue? Does anyone have experience with this or know of a better glue or epoxy to use? Perhaps something that wouldn't leave a white bubbly film afterwards?

Thanks in advance

northernxposure

Re: Superglue to strengthen custom sewing / molle webbing etc?

Post by northernxposure » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Superglue (aka CA glue) dries brittle, something I'd not want on fabric personally. The reason it turns white/bubbly is because of excessive moisture when the glue sets. You can avoid this by doing the gluing in a relatively dry area or using an accelerant to speed the set time before the moisture can get into it.

Epoxy will hold, but again it drys hard and needs to be worked into the fabric a bit to bind the surfaces.

Silicon works great, but it can change fabric's texture and color sometimes.

My recommendation is to just sew the links like you want, and secure the ends with something like GOOP or shoe-goo between the webbing/fabric layer and then sew the layers together. If sewn correctly, it's completely unnecessary. If not, well, it'll hold - and be ugly, but it'll hold.

NXP

gillis

Post by gillis » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:31 pm

northernxposure wrote:Superglue (aka CA glue) dries brittle, something I'd not want on fabric personally. The reason it turns white/bubbly is because of excessive moisture when the glue sets. You can avoid this by doing the gluing in a relatively dry area or using an accelerant to speed the set time before the moisture can get into it.

Epoxy will hold, but again it drys hard and needs to be worked into the fabric a bit to bind the surfaces.

Silicon works great, but it can change fabric's texture and color sometimes.

My recommendation is to just sew the links like you want, and secure the ends with something like GOOP or shoe-goo between the webbing/fabric layer and then sew the layers together. If sewn correctly, it's completely unnecessary. If not, well, it'll hold - and be ugly, but it'll hold.

NXP
Thanks NXP

Frank

Post by Frank » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:48 pm

use fabric specif glue like this stuff
http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-BBCS12FT4- ... B00178MNFO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
specific for clothing, it has a great level of strength and flexibility
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Bad Penny 08
Favorite Zombie Movies: The good ones.
Contrary to popular belief by the tasteless millions you CAN have realism in fiction.
But if you like being spoon fed crap...go right ahead.

Post by Bad Penny 08 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:21 am

There are any number of tent seam sealer or industrial textile adhesives that would be significantly better.

I would suggest employing your best Google-fu.
Deanimator - Bust-a-Bin - zombie-survival-outbreak | IMFDB.Com| Service Manuals
FAL/AR/AK neutral,M-37,.40S&W,CompM3 2MOA,cheesecake,Blue wire,bayonet ambivalent
Comic books are not real life...get over it! | Tuff guy of the year award: "You're really not listening, accountant."

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:32 am

I have used sho-goo successfully.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:15 am

Why not use kevlar thread to start with, shouldnt need to strengthen afterwards.

Kevlar

Spectra

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 am

Back in the day when I made a ghillie suit, I reinforced the stitching with a hot glue gun, it worked great
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

HCH

Post by HCH » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:16 am

Another great thread is 80# spiderwire. It fits in the eye of a needle and is tough.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:42 am

A trick that I used when repairing a leather holster was to rub some bee's wax into the thread prior to the sewning process.

I cover my junk with shoe goo.

mikieg
BANNED

Post by mikieg » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 am

super glue will make the nylon brittle and it will break like a piece of plastic. epoxy will do the same thing. if you were to try to glue the material together and then try to sew it, you are going to have big troubles. the glue will make your needle bind up your string. it really wreaks havoc on your sewing machine! god help you if it gets down into your bobbin case.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 am

Use a thread that is the same material as that which you are sewing. This way, it can remain flexible, and will be of approximately equal strength as the cloth. Having your stitching stronger than the cloth means that, should something break the join, your cloth is what gives out, not the much easier to replace stitching. Gluing with anything that makes the cloth stiff or brittle is just asking for that to be the weak point, and again, it makes for a bigger hole, which you now have to repair. Again.

Personally, I'd rather replace the stitching several times than have to repair a big hole in the cloth, which would likely not be as strong as the original fabric.
aa1pr wrote:A trick that I used when repairing a leather holster was to rub some bee's wax into the thread prior to the sewning process.
An excellent waterproofer, which will help keep the natural fiber threads from premature rot.
I cover my junk with shoe goo.
That just sounds.....wrong- and extremely painful, if you want to remove it :lol:
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

feuer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the comet
28 days/weeks later
Shaun of the dead

Post by feuer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 am

Superglue is probably too brittle.

I've used hotglue with mixed results, it can dry out and crack.

Shoegoo is awesome stuff, and i've used it on two ghillies and a pack with no further issues. It's water resistant and stays fairly flexible.

Tent seam sealer should work well too, but i've never tried using it for anything other than tent repair.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 am

I made mag pouches and actually used super glue to attach the fabric belt loops. That was around 6 months ago, they still work fine and haven't failed.

gillis

Post by gillis » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 am

Excellent tips here. Thanks guys. Nice thought on the Kevlar string Necro. I'm stuck with glue for now since I have already sewn it. I'm not talking just molle webbing. I have sewn all kinds of stuff on it.. Pics to come later. For the record the string I am using is off of a CheaperThanDirt German sewing kit order. The string is pretty tough although I don'k know the # break rate.

joekaveh

Post by joekaveh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:47 am

Necrodamus wrote:Why not use kevlar thread to start with, shouldnt need to strengthen afterwards.

Kevlar

Spectra

+1 on that idea
here's a tip: learn to swim

Donate Blood: http://www.redcross.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my bob: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=49972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 pm

I am putting together some MOLLE/PALS webbing as well, and I am not going to use any glue. I don't feel it is necessary. A midwidth buttonhole stitch alone or flanking a straight stitch should suffice. I'm using 69 strength nylon thread and a #18 denim needle.
BUT the stitch width adjustment on my sewing machine does not work!!! Time to take apart. Muwahahahaha!
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

Omega Storm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Omega Storm » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:37 pm

+1 on the Kevlar. Countycomm sold me mine and I have used it to sew a lot of stuff that needed to stand up to lots of wear.
When I made my ghillie cape and cover some years back I used all-purpose indoor/outdoor Amazing Goop. Dries clear, stays flexible, mildew resistant, and UV stable. They don't sell that exact kind anymore but I think the sport & outdoor is what they replaced it with. Anybody used the new stuff? I still have a few tubes of the old i/o stuff so I haven't had to try the new kind out.
Tavor/Glock/Stamps/AKM/Yummy Pie/Wire Neutral/Fast Zombies
Bearcat wrote:I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.
RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:59 pm

I used the kevlar thread from countycomm to fix a hole in my pillow where stuffing was coming out.

One thing I am disappointed with from county comm is the leather wallet. It isn't secure. I lost my license because of it. I will not be using that wallet anymore.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Or, you know, you could just learn to sew :roll:
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:05 am

I'm gonna say NO!!
Last week I got some super glue on a pair of cargo shorts, by they end of the day I had a hole instead of a glue spot.

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:49 am

tjsjr wrote:I'm gonna say NO!!
Last week I got some super glue on a pair of cargo shorts, by they end of the day I had a hole instead of a glue spot.
Discovered when I was 11: Superglue + styrofoam cup = nuclear meltdown :shock:
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:39 am

TAB wrote:
tjsjr wrote:I'm gonna say NO!!
Discovered when I was 11: Superglue + styrofoam cup = nuclear meltdown :shock:
I didn't have any tape or elmers so I super glued paper together and it got warm and a fume clound showed. Works good in ace of a bandaid though.

congochris

Post by congochris » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:36 am

aa1pr wrote:I cover my junk with shoe goo.
:shock: Ouch.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”