Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Thu May 27, 2010 9:48 am

Enganacious wrote:That is freaking epic man, I am totally getting one of those E&E bags.

Question: can you hook that E&E Bag to a chest rig like you would a hydration carrier? might make for a very handy or cool setup.
I've never heard of anyone sucsessfully integrating a small pack into a chest rig or LBE.
Think about it, you'll have to take off your chest rig every time you want to get something out of your pack.

User avatar
Enganacious
*
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm
Location: The Deagle's Nest

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Enganacious » Thu May 27, 2010 10:16 am

Yeah but if your wearing a rig/pack you'd have to do the same thing anyhow (EDIT: If you put the rig on after the pack, not so if vice-versa), one only way out of that is if you could somehow get it on one of those RBAV style zipper panels they put on the back and make some monkey knots with 550.

I think attaching the two together would simply to facilitate grab-n-go so you don't have to hold onto two seperate items, one handle, all your stuff.

EDIT: If nothing else I would probably tape it together or something so I can snatch it as a single item (E&E + Chest Rig) have all my essentials ready and maybe setup so it can unsnap/buckle at the side straps or whatever and get it on/off quickly until I can get them seperate and put the bag on over the rig. Or tape the E&E Bag straps to the body and hook it up to the chest rig like a hydration carrier or something.

User avatar
Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 18722
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Jeriah » Thu May 27, 2010 10:34 am

Enganacious wrote:That is freaking epic man, I am totally getting one of those E&E bags.

Question: can you hook that E&E Bag to a chest rig like you would a hydration carrier? might make for a very handy or cool setup.
If the chest rig has PALS webbing on the back, you can attach the slotted, female end of the dock-and-lock buckles to the PALS, and then plug the E&E into those.

If the chest rig does not have pals, you may be able to rig something up using Grimlocks.

Worst case of course you could just wear it by the shoulder straps.
Image

User avatar
Enganacious
*
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm
Location: The Deagle's Nest

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Enganacious » Thu May 27, 2010 10:43 am

You could use any MOLLE/PALS hydration carrier to hook up the E&E bag but it would probably slouch like a mofo, although you could just tie the top and mid section down to a static limit with 550 cord.

550 cord and 100mph tape can do anything.

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Thu May 27, 2010 10:58 am

Enganacious wrote:Yeah but if your wearing a rig/pack you'd have to do the same thing anyhow (EDIT: If you put the rig on after the pack, not so if vice-versa), one only way out of that is if you could somehow get it on one of those RBAV style zipper panels they put on the back and make some monkey knots with 550.

I think attaching the two together would simply to facilitate grab-n-go so you don't have to hold onto two seperate items, one handle, all your stuff.

EDIT: If nothing else I would probably tape it together or something so I can snatch it as a single item (E&E + Chest Rig) have all my essentials ready and maybe setup so it can unsnap/buckle at the side straps or whatever and get it on/off quickly until I can get them seperate and put the bag on over the rig. Or tape the E&E Bag straps to the body and hook it up to the chest rig like a hydration carrier or something.
Hmmmmm.....
Now there are lots of people that know a lot more than me about chest rigs and how they wear so bear with me.
I run an S.O.E. Patrol Vest with 12 M4 mags, 5 1911 mags, B.O.K. and radio. If I wanted to keep it and the E&E within reach together I'd hook the drag handle to the pack handle with a snap link.
Just a couple of questions. Are you Military? I ask this because the people I know deployed have to wear armor inside the wire. For those with separate armor and gear it's no problem. Others that have integrated armor and gear they have to wear everything around. If you have and integrated armor, gear and pack do you think you'regoing to be comfortable?

User avatar
Enganacious
*
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:52 pm
Location: The Deagle's Nest

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Enganacious » Thu May 27, 2010 11:51 am

I am.

If I'm wearing armor I'm not going to run a chest rig, I just attach pouches to my armor, and if I carry a bag I'm not prone to walking about long-distance with it, I usually just use an old ALICE pack as a go ruck and throw it in the truck.

But I'm talking for non-military purposes.

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Thu May 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Enganacious wrote:I am.

If I'm wearing armor I'm not going to run a chest rig, I just attach pouches to my armor, and if I carry a bag I'm not prone to walking about long-distance with it, I usually just use an old ALICE pack as a go ruck and throw it in the truck.

But I'm talking for non-military purposes.
Thank you for your service.

I think you'll be better off with using the sholder straps rather than trying to dock a pack to your rig. A few companies tried to intergrated a pack onto a survival-type vest. It looked good on paper but it didn't work.

User avatar
PWA2600
* *
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/28 Weeks Later.
The Walking Dead TV Series.
Resident Evil Series.
Others.
Location: New York

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by PWA2600 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 pm

HBAR,

I really like your setup! From my experience attempting to attach the Skilcrap hydration system and vest to my IBA back in the day it was difficult for one, and two it looked like shit. The problem I ran into was the accessibility of my gear while it was attached; it was difficult to do just about anything except change mags. If at all possible I would try and do what Jeriah mentioned as attaching it to pals with dock and lock system. Aside from that I think if you could find a pal modular panel attachable to the two back 1in shoulder webbing, and attach it; that might solve your problem.

Hope this helps!
"You do not truly own anything that you can't carry in both arms at a dead run"
- Robert A. Heinlein

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
- Emiliano Zapata Salazar

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Sat May 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

keeper
*
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by keeper » Sat May 29, 2010 8:23 pm

I hadn't seen the "Side Kick" belt pouch before - do you have information on the supplier?

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Sat May 29, 2010 9:22 pm

keeper wrote:I hadn't seen the "Side Kick" belt pouch before - do you have information on the supplier?
I got that from Brigade Quartermasters but I don't think they carry them anymore.
It measures 6 x 4.25 x 2
54 ci.

User avatar
bark-eater
* * *
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: mainely maine

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by bark-eater » Sun May 30, 2010 9:30 am

Your E+E kit got me all inspired...But I ended up ordering a G1 Express, so I can carry a similar kit inside a pack, and have room for a poncho, liner, some socks, water and lunch.
" The 'bricoleur' is adept at performing a large number of diverse tasks; but, unlike the engineer, he does not subordinate each of them to the availability of raw materials and tools conceived and procured for the purpose of the project." Claude Lévi-Strauss

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Woods Walker wrote:HBAR.

I would like to see your Marauder setup. :D

DBR.

I work out too but gotta say that 25 lbs supported by just shoulder straps is more onerous than 40 lbs in which the majority of the load is supported by a proper waist belt. Naturally we are talking about comfort levels which can be subjective.
Well?
:wink:

sarky
* * * * *
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by sarky » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:32 pm

One question, why the maurader instead of the Navigator? I went with the navigator for a couple of reasons, 1: extra cargo space for shelter system, 2: longer so it puts the hip belt where it belongs and the shoulder straps simply support balance.
I don't have any extra pouches on the Navigator, but I do on my E&E pack.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 pm

sarky wrote:One question, why the maurader instead of the Navigator? I went with the navigator for a couple of reasons, 1: extra cargo space for shelter system, 2: longer so it puts the hip belt where it belongs and the shoulder straps simply support balance.
I don't have any extra pouches on the Navigator, but I do on my E&E pack.
My decision on using the Marauder instead of the Navigator is based on the way I've got my gear organized.
The EMR has the clothing, sleeping bag, extra medical, shelter, food, stove and fuel.
The Marauder has equipment - weapons support, communication, etc.
The E&E has the essentials.
Kind of a layered or phased organization.
You must be a lot longer in the torso than I am because the hip belt sits on me fine.

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:50 pm

HBAR wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:HBAR.

I would like to see your Marauder setup. :D

DBR.

I work out too but gotta say that 25 lbs supported by just shoulder straps is more onerous than 40 lbs in which the majority of the load is supported by a proper waist belt. Naturally we are talking about comfort levels which can be subjective.
Well?
:wink:
Our methodologies are a bit different and that’s ok in my book. I prefer less pockets and gear hung on the outside of any pack. I like the SOE Blow out Kit. Why the M3? I am going to post an update to my UL E&E thread within the week.
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
HBAR wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:HBAR.

I would like to see your Marauder setup. :D

DBR.

I work out too but gotta say that 25 lbs supported by just shoulder straps is more onerous than 40 lbs in which the majority of the load is supported by a proper waist belt. Naturally we are talking about comfort levels which can be subjective.
Well?
:wink:
Our methodologies are a bit different and that’s ok in my book. I prefer less pockets and gear hung on the outside of any pack. I like the SOE Blow out Kit. Why the M3? I am going to post an update to my UL E&E thread within the week.
The M3 uses the same lamp as the M910A-IR on my M4.

User avatar
KMAC179
* * *
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 pm
Location: Denial
Contact:

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by KMAC179 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:05 pm

is it strange that i am slightly turned on by the E&E kit?...

seriously though, one of the best set ups I have ever seen...I wish I could put something like this together.
Your semi-friendly resident CBRNE and TCCC specialist.

"Remember when you were a kid and held your breath when you walked past the cemetery?...Just leave that man alone"

User avatar
Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 9404
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: CT

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:41 pm

The M3 uses the same lamp as the M910A-IR on my M4.
Ok.

I mostly go with something a bit smaller for a pack flashlight. Got some single battery lights but these are my most used larger ones, if they could be called larger being 2xCR123/2XAA.

Image
Image

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

User avatar
Blackdog
* * * * *
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:27 am
Location: Off the Grid

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Blackdog » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 am

DBR wrote:
Jeriah wrote:
I'm pretty well sold on this now. Thanks!
If you get the matches and the matchsafe, let me know how you like them.
I don't have the matches (next time I order from REI I guess I will give their matches a go) but I have the Matchsafe. Good to go piece of gear if you ask me. I carry mine in a nylon knife sheath and have in it a few water tabs and fire starter. Kind of a last ditch on the belt mini kit.

Image
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Squirrley
* * * * *
Posts: 6672
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:35 pm
Location: Boulder, CO/Trinidad, CO

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by Squirrley » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:09 am

HBAR wrote: Image
Got any pics with this on you? Looks like the CG is way too far away from your spine/you'd be un-balanced towards the ass to me...
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!
Image

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Got any pics with this on you? Looks like the CG is way too far away from your spine/you'd be un-balanced towards the ass to me...
I'll have to find someone to run the camera for me.
I had the same thoughts when I read footrat's posts about his EMR/Marauder/E&E combo. But, he was right. If the packs are loaded right, with the weight distributed right, it'll let you carry a lot of gear.

sarky
* * * * *
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by sarky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:16 pm

I don't have a chest rig, but i do have a CamelBak load bearing vest to which I attach my E&E pack to via the dock and lock system.
20 years USN
SERE Instructor
P-3 Flight Engineer
Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor

HBAR
*
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm
Location: Central IL

Re: Kifaru E&E setup and loadout

Post by HBAR » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 am

sarky wrote:I don't have a chest rig, but i do have a CamelBak load bearing vest to which I attach my E&E pack to via the dock and lock system.
Interesting, I haven't seen those before. I guess I should check out Camelbak more often.
How much stuff do you put in the E&E? How much does it weigh?
Does the vest want to ride up in the front with the weight in the back?
Can you wear a bigger pack with that vest with the bladder full?
I''d like to see the gear you use. As a SERE instructor I'm sure you have a special insight on equipment.

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”