lets talk hiking pants...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Squirrley

Re: lets talk hiking pants...

Post by Squirrley » Sun May 09, 2010 2:35 pm

nateted4 wrote:... especially since with lighter synthetic fabrics it's easy to simply roll the legs up as necessary.
This, right here. Especially so since the weight and bulk of a zipper is so much more noticeable on lighter weight pants. Plus what happens when your cheap-o zip-off pants zippers break (cause honestly, who wants to pay >$100 for a pair of light pants) and you can't get your legs back on?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan » Sun May 09, 2010 3:25 pm

I personally like Craghoppers for hiking. http://www.us.craghoppers.com/webapp/wc ... 3052_26759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wanderingwaldo

Post by wanderingwaldo » Wed May 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Stop the TYRANNY!

http://www.kiltmen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha, this guy stopped me at his booth at some festival and asked me if I would like to try on the Utilikilt. Sure I said, so I tried it on, thought it was cool, and asked how much it was. $270. I guess it doesn't hurt to take my pants off before giving me a price like that.
Mere placation of the ordinary prevents one from becoming extra-ordinary.

The world is an onion made of spiderwebs.

"I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."
-Duke Leto Atredies

Fairweather8588
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, dawn of the dead ('04, but i think of it as more a comedy then a zombie flick)

Post by Fairweather8588 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:53 pm

http://mountainhardwear.com/Product.asp ... wAll=False" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've always loved my mountain hardwear pants, and I've worn these (without out the zip-off option) for along time. They've put up a pretty good fight against the az brush so far
Image Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength

Kerouac

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Columbia SilverRidge convertible. I purchased mine at REI, on clearance, because they were last years model (they had a different name but are functionally the same product). I don't think that they meet 100% of your criteria but they are pretty good for what they are.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:08 am

wanderingwaldo wrote: Sure I said, so I tried it on, thought it was cool, and asked how much it was. $270. I guess it doesn't hurt to take my pants off before giving me a price like that.
Damn, that's expensive. I can think of much cheaper ways of not wearing underwear.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 am

I have a couple pairs of ExOfficio Amphi Convertable Pants, and they're great hiking pants. They're a little pricey...I got mine on sale though, several years back.

They're comfortable and decently stylish. The "breen" color is a cross between brown and green...pretty nice "urban camo" that also blends well in the woods. Even though they're quick drying, and not too thick material (100% Nycott), they're pretty tough for withstanding against rips and tears from briars, saw palmettos and such.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

CyberpunkHero
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), 28 Days Later, Zombieland

Post by CyberpunkHero » Fri May 14, 2010 8:01 am

Hooligan wrote:I personally like Craghoppers for hiking. http://www.us.craghoppers.com/webapp/wc ... 3052_26759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll second that. I have a pair of regular Kiwi's, a pair of zip-off Kiwi's and a pair of the Bear Grylls trousers and they're all great, very comfy, practical and dry quickly. My only complaint would be that the Kiwi trousers only have a cargo pocket on the right leg.

Stumpalump

Post by Stumpalump » Fri May 14, 2010 11:56 am

I tried on every pair of hiking pants that were not convertable at REI the other day. I can't stand that zipper behing my knees or the extra bulk and weight. REI sells good stuff and had a huge assortment of brands and materials. I found 1 pair and the rest I would not even hual off. Most all had very shallow front pockets but I keep a cell phone in my front pocket so I can get at it if I crash and burn. I'd loose it easy in almost every pair they had and you can forget about keeping change or keys in them. The other problem and especially the Moutain hardware brand was that I felt like I acidently slipped on a pair of my wifes pants. Girl cut pants is what you get. The mountain hardware pants huged my hips like girl pants and turned into belle bottoms. Fag gear IMHO in all cases except one: https://www.kuhl.com/products/Kuhl-Jean.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Night and day difference and I won't feel like I'm heading off to a gay club wearing them. Not only that but they fit, I could move in them,they did not feel as flimsey as the rest and I don't look like Gene Simmons. Kinda like a verry light weight carhart istead of twisted nylon running pants like all the rest.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun May 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Stumpalump wrote: Fag gear IMHO in all cases except one: https://www.kuhl.com/products/Kuhl-Jean.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Night and day difference and I won't feel like I'm heading off to a gay club wearing them. Not only that but they fit, I could move in them,they did not feel as flimsey as the rest and I don't look like Gene Simmons. Kinda like a verry light weight carhart istead of twisted nylon running pants like all the rest.
Let's keep this thread polite. Using such terms as "fag" and "gay" in describing an item is a little harsh and could be considered offensive to some folks here.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Return to “Bug Out Gear”