lets talk hiking pants...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

lets talk hiking pants...

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri May 07, 2010 9:24 pm

last weekend i did another section on the FT which can be seen here... http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=60318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you read the update to my thread then you saw that i had a little run in with stinging nettle. ive needed some light wight pants for the trail for a while. normally i wear cotton cargo pants, which works well in cooler months, but last weekend i chose to wear cargo shorts because of the heat/humidity. well i paid for it with a couple nasty stings, so i though i would try and prevent this in the future by always wearing pants, and by looking were im walking. :lol:

so these are the pants im going with for now, unless for some reason they dont work out, but i think they will be just fine. they are "reel legends" designed for fishing. here are some of the stats...

- upf 50+
- 100% nylon
- zip-off legs
- security pockets
- key ring
- mesh drain pockets

they also have a little pocket on the inside of the waist band. so here is a photo. they are OD green. any comments/input would be cool. i would also like to know if you guys are hiking similar type pants on the trail, or if not, what are you hiking in? im also looking into getting a few columbia sportswear shirts.

offcamber

Re: lets talk hiking pants...

Post by offcamber » Fri May 07, 2010 9:34 pm

My shoulder season hiking/backpacking pants are ripstop zip-offs (from REI).. that way I can pull the legs off when its hot, but put them back on when I need a little lower leg protection from the environment or bugs. I also made sure to buy a pair that the removable lowers fit over my hiking boots so I don't have to take them on and off to the attach/unzip the pant legs.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri May 07, 2010 9:42 pm

offcamber wrote:My shoulder season hiking/backpacking pants are ripstop zip-offs (from REI).. that way I can pull the legs off when its hot, but put them back on when I need a little lower leg protection from the environment or bugs. I also made sure to buy a pair that the removable lowers fit over my hiking boots so I don't have to take them on and off to the attach/unzip the pant legs.

got a link to what you are hiking? thanks for the feedback!

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:47 pm

I always wear lightweight synthetics when hiking/camping and often just around town. I have found that it is best to have actual belt loops as opposed the chintzy draw-cord/nylon strap thing. I've ditched convertible pants, as I can just as easily roll up the leg and the zipper makes for a bulky spot in the fabric. Also, beige is much less mall-ninja-tastic than green or olive drab.

I'm neither hear nor there on cargo pockets, but I've found that I can certainly live without them. Recently I've been rocking:
http://www.rei.com/product/782737

My favorite of all time was a pair of non-convertable cargos in green that I got at the REI garage sale. They were ripped when I bought 'em on the cargo pocket, but I machine patched them with heavy cordura and nylon thread. Those things lasted like that through several years, but eventually the thinner fabric gives up the ghost en masse.
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

VeniVidiVici

Post by VeniVidiVici » Fri May 07, 2010 9:55 pm

http://www.gussetclothing.com/dme.html
These suck for hiking in wet climates because they are impossible to dry after moisture gets them but, these are the only pants I've found to be comfortable for longer hikes. I don't the swoosh swoosh swoosh sound most water resistant fabrics make. My perfect set of pants would be denim with a good water resistant coating.

Edit: corrected link & fixed some errors( college has me burnt out :lol: )
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." ~Mary Gardiner Brainard

Cummins/Knight's Armament Company/Colt/Barrett/

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:18 pm

VeniVidiVici wrote:http://www.gussetclothing.com/dme.html
These suck for hiking in wet climates because they are impossible to dry after moisture gets them ...
This wouldn't fly in OR/WA :lol:
Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

congochris

Post by congochris » Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 pm

If you happen to wander into a Sportsman's warehouse and see some zip-offs for sale with the brand name "Kodiak" - walk away. Unless they're $5, they ain't worth it. Almost all of the seams are "threading" apart, the "net" pockets are rediculously annoying and too small. The plastic snaps completely suck, and the zippers are surprisingly chintzy.

Truthfully, the only things I like about them is the hidden back pockets.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri May 07, 2010 11:01 pm

nateted4 - interesting. they look like dress pants to me. :?

offcamber - just did a test run with mine, and im able to remove the legs with my boots on since they have a zipper from the ankle up towads the zipper that allows you to remove the leg.

VeniVidiVici - they look like denim. they would be freakin hot here in FL, and as you mentioned dont do well when wet. i hate wearing wet pants, and i rarely wear demin pants/jeans. funny you mention the "swoosh swoosh" the ones i have make some noise...not much, but not near as much noise as the parachute pants did from back in the day. :lol: ahh the 80's :roll:

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri May 07, 2010 11:07 pm

congochris wrote:If you happen to wander into a Sportsman's warehouse and see some zip-offs for sale with the brand name "Kodiak" - walk away. Unless they're $5, they ain't worth it. Almost all of the seams are "threading" apart, the "net" pockets are rediculously annoying and too small. The plastic snaps completely suck, and the zippers are surprisingly chintzy.

Truthfully, the only things I like about them is the hidden back pockets.
that sucks, thanks for the heads up.

i compared these to the columbia sportswear zip-offs side by side, and could not see a difference in quality from the mesh, pocket size, zippers, or stiching. there are some differences as far as the pocket configurations go. these were about 10.00 less that the columbias which run 50.00 here local.

Dr D

Post by Dr D » Fri May 07, 2010 11:09 pm

I have patagonia rock guide pants and shorts. For trails they're fine. Not a fan of cargo pockets when they aren't necessary. Though these have one you can put some paper or something small into.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:13 pm

Howabout a Kilt? I have 3 now. A Green Mocker, a Black workman, and another Black one...

http://www.utilikilts.com/company/produ ... ts/mocker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ventilation is great and lets the boys hang free with no chafe. No chafe is a Good thing!
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

congochris

Post by congochris » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Howabout a Kilt? I have 3 now. A Green Mocker, a Black workman, and another Black one...

http://www.utilikilts.com/company/produ ... ts/mocker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ventilation is great and lets the boys hang free with no chafe. No chafe is a Good thing!
I'd second kilts.. except he's looking for long pants to protect against stinging and annoying plants.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri May 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Howabout a Kilt? I have 3 now. A Green Mocker, a Black workman, and another Black one...

youre f*&^*%g with me right.... :lol:

while i will admit they look comfortable since the boys could breath i dont have the balls to do it...no pun intended! :lol:

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Fri May 07, 2010 11:36 pm

congochris wrote:

I'd second kilts.. except he's looking for long pants to protect against stinging and annoying plants.
Yeah, kilts--especially Utilikilts--are awesome, but I think they are better suited to more urban environments. I've actually thought about this before. Anyone agree/disagree?

ETA: Darkside, you're missing out, dude. Seriously. Why the hesitation?
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sat May 08, 2010 12:04 am

i guess im just scared that the wind will blow up from behind me and my hiking buddies will see my thong. :oops:

i never see anyone wearing kilts. are you guys REALLY wearing kilts out like normal clothes? the few friends i have would rag on me untill the day i die if i showed up wearing one. if you wear one its cool with me, i just dont think their for me. i could carry a man purse before i could wear a kilt, but maybe i am missing something.

a man purse, and a kilt? :? :lol:

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sat May 08, 2010 12:09 am

I don't wear one all the time or anything, but hiking and camping in the desert, and to Burning Man Events it's on a lot. They are heavy enough not to blow up in a 40 mph wind. and that breeze up under there on a hot day is Like a York peppermint patty...

I buried my car in a wash last year at like 4AM and was digging it out when La Migra showed up... Dude in green was like, is that a Kilt? I'm like yeah? and his female partner got a funny look on her face... So I lied and told her I had underwear on...

And they towed me out and said have a nice day!
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 am

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
i guess im just scared that the wind will blow up from behind me and my hiking buddies will see my thong. :oops:

i never see anyone wearing kilts. are you guys REALLY wearing kilts out like normal clothes? the few friends i have would rag on me untill the day i die if i showed up wearing one. if you wear one its cool with me, i just dont think their for me. i could carry a man purse before i could wear a kilt, but maybe i am missing something.

a man purse, and a kilt? :? :lol:
If you're wearing a thong, then...well...nevermind. :lol:

But, yeah, folks wear Utilikilts like "normal" clothes because they *are* normal clothes. Granted, they aren't common, but seeing a guy wearing one isn't exactly like spotting a sasquatch. Are you telling me you've never seen a dude rocking a UK in all of Florida? Because I've seen a fair few in my much less populated state. (And not just in the mirror). Why would your friends rag on you for being awesome? Maybe you need new friends? :?
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Dawgboy » Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 am

Stop the TYRANNY!

http://www.kiltmen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My homebrew stove kit
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Kelvar » Sat May 08, 2010 12:44 am

I think we're getting a bit off-topic here. The OP is asking about trousers, and I think it is hard to dispute that trousers are better for hiking in rough terrain. Kilts are awesome for having a pint at the pub or for otherwise hanging out in an urban environment, but is there any real debate that trousers are better for getting down and dirty in the woods?

ETA: Btw, I am more than willing to be proven wrong. 8)

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sat May 08, 2010 12:52 am

If you're wearing a thong, then...well...nevermind.

But, yeah, folks wear Utilikilts like "normal" clothes because they *are* normal clothes. Granted, they aren't common, but seeing a guy wearing one isn't exactly like spotting a sasquatch. Are you telling me you've never seen a dude rocking a UK in all of Florida? Because I've seen a fair few in my much less populated state. (And not just in the mirror). Why would your friends rag on you for being awesome? Maybe you need new friends?
yeah getting off topic, but hey its an option for the trial for some people so its all good i guess.

now that you mention it i did see two guys wearing kilts at a festival a few months back, and could figure out why. it was an italian festival, so go figure? :? i should mention that these guys were huge! i wouldnt make fun of them to their faces... :lol:

and yeah long pants would be better than kilts in the FL scrub. :)

none1

Post by none1 » Sat May 08, 2010 1:16 am

REI sahara convertible pants. Light, wear tough, and dry fast. I do like the cargo pockets. I do like ziping the legs off when I want shorts, and on when I want more warmth. Have been on a number of hikes, fallen down a few times, and no rips yet.
http://www.rei.com/product/794407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Civilian Scout

Post by Civilian Scout » Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 am

For hiking pants, I like UPF, I like 100% nylon, I like DWR-type finishes and I like belt loops as opposed to drawstrings. I don't like zip-off convertibles. I find the zipper uncomfortable. I don't like dozens of pockets. Two front, two back, maybe one cargo is enough. I prefer nylon to cotton because I find it cooler (more breathable), more resistant to tears and abrasion, and it dries quicker when it gets wet.

My go-to pants are TNF Paramounts. I have a 100% nylon pair that I wear when it's warm out. In cooler temps I can wear a lightweight base layer (fancy term for long underwear :)) under them. In cold temps, I have a pair that's pretty much identical but fleece-lined. In really cold temps, I wear the fleece-lined pair with base layer under. Two pairs of pants to meet any weather conditions. These are really no better or worse than similar pants from companies like Patagonia or Columbia, but I bought these because I got them on clearance and scored a great deal. I think the kind I have are discontinued.

When it comes time to replace them, I will probably be shopping here: http://www.railriders.com/. Awesome stuff. Just haven't bought any pants yet since I don't really need them. Trying to cut down on frivolous spending. :roll:
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

Red Cell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Red Cell » Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 am

RR extreme adventure pants. Can' say anything bad
about them after two years of abuse. I haven't found anything better.
http://www.railriders.com/extreme-adven ... th=104_110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
END THE FED

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:11 pm

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:nateted4 - interesting. they look like dress pants to me. :?
I won't lie, I wear 'em in town and on the trail. Like I said, the convertible pants some people are fond of have negative utility to me, that is, the extra zipper makes for a bigger hassle than I ever gain from being able to zip off the legs; especially since with lighter synthetic fabrics it's easy to simply roll the legs up as necessary. I own some of these, but I don't think I'll ever buy them again.

Cargo pockets that have more than a couple of ounces of gear annoy me after a few miles, and heavier fabrics may last much longer, but just don't dry off as fast. I'll be the guy in the PAW walking around with a civilian pack (again, may not last as long, but way more comfortable/ergonomic) and dress pants. I should find a collared synthetic shirt to complete my Eddie Bauer catalog look! :lol:

-Nate

Return to “Bug Out Gear”