tear mender

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

tear mender

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sun May 02, 2010 5:14 pm

i am sure most of you have seen this stuff but i put this up anyways.... this is great for tent/gear repairs and for your clothes too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd2QMfq50qA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wyominglostandfound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hunt therfore I am

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: tear mender

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun May 02, 2010 5:26 pm

wyominglostandfound wrote:i am sure most of you have seen this stuff but i put this up anyways.... this is great for tent/gear repairs and for your clothes too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd2QMfq50qA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wyominglostandfound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have you used it? it seems to good to be true, just like the wax that removes scratches from the paint on your car... :roll:

if it works like they says it does, it would be great on your bag.

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sun May 02, 2010 5:28 pm

as a matter of fact, i have.... i used to be a steel worker and our pants would wear out fast crawling beams and it saved me a lot of money. it is really good stuff.
I hunt therfore I am

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Sun May 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Ive used that stuff quite a bit. It works pretty good in short term applications, or when you dont care what it looks like. If you are trying to mend clothes and dont want bleed through, the patches will usually fall apart due to not enough adhesion.

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Sun May 02, 2010 7:56 pm

I feel like I've tried a few of these including the "patch attach" ones. The tear menders for tent-type and tarp-type fabrics work pretty well but work best when there's a tape adhesive used in conjunction with it. The problem is the frayed edges. Fabrics - like a load-bearing backpack - or clothes... well, they usually break or tear at the places that are most worn. So, if you can attach something to it, great. Best solution is to use this as a short-term and then stitch. I find that if you use this along the stitch line, you get a really tight seal and it's water proof, or whatever quality the fabric had. Just these products by themselves though won't last.

Of course, I say all this from testing them out on clothes that actually wore out. I have yet to have a Maxpedition bag or something expensive give out to really test it on.

Torvald
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Fido, Shawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, Army of Darkness (may not count)

Post by Torvald » Sun May 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Tear-Mender is a liquid latex like substance that will "glue" the fabric together it will hold as long as there is no stress on the tear. I have used it several time and for best results I use it to hold the repair in place as I sew it.
It will work for a temp fix until a better fix can be made. It will NOT wash off it will soak into the fabric and stay there forever.

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sun May 02, 2010 8:21 pm

i agree, this stuff along with a stitch to reinforce is one tough fix. just be sure to get it right before it is dry because you won't be able to get it unstuck without doing more harm to the item being fixed.
I hunt therfore I am

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sat May 08, 2010 9:47 am

Whats the problem with just sewing it to begin with, if you're gonna have to sew it anyways?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sat May 08, 2010 9:12 pm

i usually don't have a sewing machine with me in the field. this is a field repair item and i would not trust a hand stitch as much as this stuff. if you have used this stuff in the past you know that it is very durable and worth it to take along. i will continue using it in the field. when i get home then another fix option will be available.
I hunt therfore I am

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sat May 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Carry some real needles and some decent thread and learn to sew. Its not that hard. And it means you can actually fix your stuff with your repair kit, which is kinda the point isn't it?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sat May 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Dude, Squirlley!!!!

Where the hell you been hiding dude??!?
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

AeroNautiCal

Post by AeroNautiCal » Sun May 09, 2010 8:43 am

wyominglostandfound wrote:i usually don't have a sewing machine with me in the field.
Now you can! :lol:

http://www.alpackaraft.com
  • Alpacka Raft: The Bug Out Packrafts!

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sun May 09, 2010 11:22 am

Squirrley wrote:Carry some real needles and some decent thread and learn to sew. Its not that hard. And it means you can actually fix your stuff with your repair kit, which is kinda the point isn't it?

i wish i woulda paid more attention in home ec. now.
I hunt therfore I am

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun May 09, 2010 12:15 pm

All I made in Home Ec. was a skateboard shaped pillow. Strangely, I was the only guy who came into the class knowing how to sew.. :lol:

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sun May 09, 2010 2:15 pm

I was about as bad off as you, but besides the pillows, we did other simple things like sewing and removing buttons, learned how to use a seam ripper, and make a pocket. I still need to force Mom and my grandmother to seriously sit down with me and teach me more practical things up to making a custom pair of pants or something so I can do these sorts of things on my own later. Flat lock stitching is a big thing for me.

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan » Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 am

congochris wrote:All I made in Home Ec. was a skateboard shaped pillow. Strangely, I was the only guy who came into the class knowing how to sew.. :lol:
LoL i made that same pillow. I think that is the standard guy sewing pillow in home ec.

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 pm

i took home ec. because that's where all the womens was.
I hunt therfore I am

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon May 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I was one of two guys in the class. And sadly, I could sew better than all but one of the girls in class. Granted, this was middle school. Int he high school I went to "Home Ec" was basically "parenting for all the girls GI's knocked up" instead of your usual cooking and sewing stuff.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”