Hope my Sleeping Bag is Decent or Pick These?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KarnEdge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Hope my Sleeping Bag is Decent or Pick These?

Post by KarnEdge » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Currently I have an Eddie Bauer 0 to 30 Sleeping Bag but I still have the ability to return it. It's a rather large sleeping bag and doesn't have a decent compression sack much less the straps to make even smaller. I got it for $45 at Target and I think its even discontinued as I cannot seem to find a good link for it.

I found a guy on Craigslist selling the REI Shasta +15 Sleeping Bag - Men's Regular for $35 OBO. Post states:
Excellent condition.
Bought this new a couple years ago, and went on a 2 day camping trip.
Other than that, it has never left the house.
He's also selling:
Camp 7 "The Latte" sleeping bag...Hand MADE IN THE USA!
Excellent condition....looks brand new.
It might be THE WARMEST SLEEPING BAG ever made... hahha!...It has to be 0 degree synthetic bag.
Size tag says 32" x 80"... but it is a regular size bag...for someone up to 6ft.
Super compressible....this is a fantastic bag, and fantastic deal.
I bought this bag years ago for my wife, and it has NEVER LEFT THE HOUSE!
It was EXPENSIVE new...(I think like $250 new.)
Comes with a sack....(not a compression bag)
$55 obo.
I cannot for the life of me find this bag anywhere to find out more. I've sent him an email to get pictures and this may be a better deal especially if it's in such a great condition but I don't know anything about it other than what's said.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments on this as it would be much appreciated to the ZS community.
"What if Pinocchio said 'My nose will grow'?"
- Philosoraptor
[Introduction Post]

sirenmoses

Re: Hope my Sleeping Bag is Decent or Pick These?

Post by sirenmoses » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:04 pm

I'd return the Eddie Bauer and pick up the REI bag: much easier to return later on it you aren't happy w/it.

As for the Camp 7: ask how it's been stored over the past few years. The brand was sold to an independant shop in the 70's. http://www.oregonphotos.com/Alp-Sport1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my 2c.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Buy them both - sell/return the ones you dont want.

There were/are two companies named Camp7. The first made outstanding products but went out of business a long time ago. The other, I have no idea about but it is unrelated to the first. The fact that it comes in a sack and not a stuff sack is promising however. Unless its just a trash bag its been stored in... but even then, that shows "proper" care techniques of a synthetic bag.

REI makes good stuff and if the bag hasnt been abused or stuffed/unstuffed/stuffed/unstuffed then it should be GTG. Regardless, if YOU dont like it, you can return it to REI for a full refund of the original price (really!)

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Get that REI bag just for the oppurtunity of a return. The worst that'll happen is that you get store credit. Other than that, "REI brand" is typically not crappy.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

KarnEdge

Post by KarnEdge » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:51 pm

sirenmoses wrote:I'd return the Eddie Bauer and pick up the REI bag: much easier to return later on it you aren't happy w/it.

As for the Camp 7: ask how it's been stored over the past few years. The brand was sold to an independant shop in the 70's. http://www.oregonphotos.com/Alp-Sport1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my 2c.
You're definitely correct. I do know how great REI is about returns so I at least grab that bag. While I'm there I will check out the Camp7 and find out about its storage and care.
KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:Buy them both - sell/return the ones you dont want.

There were/are two companies named Camp7. The first made outstanding products but went out of business a long time ago. The other, I have no idea about but it is unrelated to the first. The fact that it comes in a sack and not a stuff sack is promising however. Unless its just a trash bag its been stored in... but even then, that shows "proper" care techniques of a synthetic bag.

REI makes good stuff and if the bag hasnt been abused or stuffed/unstuffed/stuffed/unstuffed then it should be GTG. Regardless, if YOU dont like it, you can return it to REI for a full refund of the original price (really!)
Dully noted, sir.
- Philosoraptor
[Introduction Post]

KarnEdge

Post by KarnEdge » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Finally got a reply with the dreaded "its sold" message, so no go on the REI bag sadly.

I did find however someone selling a 0 degree Wiggy's bag for $50 that was supposedly used twice times but in excellent condition otherwise. I asked him to clarify but I assume he's talking about this one:
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ ... N=28419838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've actually never heard of Wiggy's before now, anyone have any thoughts on their brand?
- Philosoraptor
[Introduction Post]

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:51 pm

KarnEdge wrote:I've actually never heard of Wiggy's before now, anyone have any thoughts on their brand?
Like Momma always said, if you dont have anything nice to say................

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:40 am

KarnEdge wrote:Finally got a reply with the dreaded "its sold" message, so no go on the REI bag sadly.

I did find however someone selling a 0 degree Wiggy's bag for $50 that was supposedly used twice times but in excellent condition otherwise. I asked him to clarify but I assume he's talking about this one:
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ ... N=28419838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've actually never heard of Wiggy's before now, anyone have any thoughts on their brand?
Wiggys is known as the "finest outdoor gear manufacturer in the world" :wink: : http://www.wiggys.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... I'd go for it.
President ZSC011

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:45 am

ninja-elbow wrote:Wiggys is known as the "finest outdoor gear manufacturer in the world" :wink:
Says...... who? :wink:

Seriously, Ive got lots of experience with JWs bags and nowadays wouldnt insult my asshole by using them as toilet paper.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:56 am

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:Wiggys is known as the "finest outdoor gear manufacturer in the world" :wink:
Says...... who? :wink:
Why ... wiggy of course. :P

At $50 though, I'd do it just to have a spare sleeping bag.
President ZSC011

KarnEdge

Post by KarnEdge » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:17 pm

I suppose I'll take the responses as a resounding no. haha

:) Thanks though... damn wish I got that REI bag. bah
- Philosoraptor
[Introduction Post]

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Well, for $50 you can't go wrong. Wiggy's gear was awesome a long time ago but they just never got out of 20-30 years ago. I'd get it and use it as a spare, car camping, over-nighter out of town bag. The internet bore personalities and the access thereof for makers of gear and open communication between manufacturers sometimes turns into pissy-cock matches. What was once nice gear (when all you had was a picture and marketing statement from the maker on a tag on the item you bought) turns shitty when you see some f'ed-up comment by the same guy on some other manufacturer's forum or something.

You could do a lot worse for a backpacking sleeping bag with $50 though. I have. :)
President ZSC011

Return to “Bug Out Gear”