It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:18 pm 

I just found one of these at a 1/3 price on Craigslist. I've always been fascinated w the folding boat design, and I would have to agree with the other reviews on them; very stable, good weight capacity, great way for a person to access water, w out owning a pickup or a boat trailer. I own a pickup, but the price of gas has it parked most of the time. i own two other boats, but this is going on top of my toyota prius. These fold down to 4" and can be hung on a garage wall or behind a couch. I made a video today. These are offered in 8,10,12, & 14 ft models. Mine is the 8 ft, and is closer to 9', and weighs in at a little over 50#'s. Handles small gas engines or electric trollers. I have a 50# electric, and a 2 hp gas went with it. Official stats are on porta botes' website.
http://youtu.be/G3gB7eQ3RNU

These would be great for bugging out in a car to a river or lake.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 pm 

http://www.wyominglostandfound.com

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 pm 

www.wyominglostandfound.com

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:01 pm 

Really contemplating getting one of those tipi's.

Looking good!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:53 pm 

CorpsmanUp wrote:
Really contemplating getting one of those tipi's.

Looking good!

Might I suggest sending Wyoming a message and find out how :far behind" he is before you order.... There have been some questions as of late that were never answered concerning some orders placed with him.

The last thread concerning this issue was locked before explanations were made... :? Kifaru makes a great Tipi as well :D

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Just in time for Mother's Day, I received my new Wyoming Lost and Found Tarp Tipi, generously donated by Brian as a prize in the 2012 Fall Mock Bug-out Contest. Between a pregnancy, new born and being laid up from the past month or so with dental surgery, I haven't had a chance to field test it yet, but we took the first chance we had to put it up in the front yard this weekend.

Here it is rolled up beside my BG knife for a size perspective. Sorry, scales are banned from our house, so I have no idea how much it weighs. (It does weigh less than my 12 pound 4 month old, if that helps at all.) Here's the manufacturer's specs:

Small 6 sided Tipi

Weight: (w/ stakes and pole) 3.5 lbs.
Diameter: 11 ft.
Center Height: 5 1/2 ft.

This the most pack-friendly way we found to pack it, was rolled up with stakes and rope inside, secured with some spiffy ranger bands. It's a poly tarp, and folds up just as you'd expect one of those too. You just need to compensate for the pointy top and stove jack. We'll keep playing with it to try to find a better configuration:
Not apologizing for the knife, you BG/Gerber haters. It was a very thoughtful Mother's Day gift from my kids this year!

Unrolled, and folded in half:

My young Cub Scout had a bit of trouble getting his line in the tree just right...

...so we ended up with part of the tipi in the trunk, but it was good enough for our first look see. There is a tie-out on the top of the tipi, to use for suspending it from a tree or ridge pole/line. We connected to it by putting a carabiner on the end of our pitching rope with a bowline, and then tied the pitching rope off to the tree with a simple cow hitch-slip knot thingy* since we were playing with pitching heights. (*Knot patent pending. Excited nine year olds. Geesh!)

Bottom zipper open:

Zipper stitching and tie outs. There is a tie out on both sides of the door, so you can easily secure the doors open better more light or air flow:
Here you can also see the outside seam where two pannels meet.

Double stitching between top of door and top of tipi:

Stove Jack:

Note: On the inside shot, you can see one of the interior tie-outs. There are four - one on each of the non-door and non-stove jack pannels, I assume either for a gear loft or something to do with the stove chimney.

First impressions? This is a neat piece of gear and I'm very grateful to Brian for donating it. Thanks Brian! I can't wait to sleep under the stars with it. The kids have already claimed for their summer mock bug-out.

It's basically a silver and blue poly tarp, or probably a couple, that have been cut and sewn into a six-sided tipi. It has one door with a zipper, grommets like a regular tarp (didn't count/measure them, sorry, but it looks like there's one in the middle of every (6) panel. You can see them in the pic above, where the tip I is hanging) and seven tie-outs for stakes or guy lines at the corner of each panel. All closed up, it's pretty bright inside on a sunny day. Even only semi-pitched, it is plenty big enough for my son and I and our gear, and maybe one more adult, depending on how we pitch it.

Ours didn't come with a centre pole or stakes, so I can't comment on them but It's really easy to put up by hanging it from a tree, and I really like that it's adjustable that way. We raised it and got some nice air flow from the bottom, and lowered it, so my son could easily reach to the top of the door opening to pull down the zipper. I've got a 6 ft oak walking stick that I'm going to try to rig up as a centre poll, but I'm liking the tree hanging because it's just so simple. My nine year put it up by himself, no problem.

Not being a tent stove user, I can't comment on the stove jack. I have no idea about them at all. It does seem like it would do it's job and keep the rain out as it is though. With my camping track record, it should pour rain the first time we take it out and I'll come back with a review then. ;)

Here's a link to the Tarp Tipi specs on the Wyoming Lost and Found wesbite: http://wyominglostandfound.com/tipi.html

Thanks again, Brian!

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:37 am 

I'll just leave this here. I love finding and making good reviews of products, so I hope to make more this summer.

Maxpedition Fatty Pocket Organizer

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=99188

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:52 am 

http://www.wyominglostandfound.com

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Used my BOB for our Anniversary weekend stay in Manhattan. Told my wife not to pack her bag but to put her 35 #'s of 'neccesities in mine
Osprey Exo 46, great bag, used it for actual bug out after Sandy, several hunting trips and now as pack mule for my lovely wife :)

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The BG Ultimate Survival Knife (fine blade) is something I want to hate. It was a gift from my kids for Mother''s Day this year so I love it for that reason alone, but there’s a moment of shame when I bring it out around other people. That said, I like it more and more every time I use it. For the past couple of weeks, we've battoned campfire wood with it, and used it to make wood shavings and feather sticks. I preferred using my CRKT folder for making whittling, but it rocked the battoning, pitch and fatwood hunting, and I like the fire steel.

It wasn't sharp enough out of the box for my liking, and I haven't sharpened it yet, but it's done everything I asked of it so far. I am a total noob to knife sharpening so I'm not going to use the one built into the sheath on anything other than old beat up don't care about 'em knives for now.

It's a bigger and heavier knife than I've ever carried. This past weekend wasn't a "need a fixed blade on your belt" kind of camp, but after spending the weekend with it, I'm not sure it's ever going to fill that role for me. I hiked with it on my belt for an hour or so on Sunday morning, and I much preferred tucking into my belt at the small of my back, or better yet, leaving it in the pack except when we were us it.

I wish the ferro rod was a little longer but it works just fine if you pull the ferro rod across the knife instead of vice versa.

Almost forgot: on the back of the sheath, there is a pictograph of emergency signals. It's a little rubbery/plastic thing, and it's sewn on to form a little pocket. I carry a charred lamp wick wrapped in tin foil in mine. After I got home I read one of Woods Walker's post about using a lamp wick and had a "Duh,!" moment when he said he chars both ends of his. Mine's now charred on both ends too. :-)

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Esbit Pocket Stove + Outbound Robson Anodized Aluminum Cook-set (.8L pot + lid)

I forgot my windscreen, so needed a tab and a half of Esbit cubes to boil .8L. Forgot to time it but it couldn't have taken much more than 10 minutes to come to a rolling boil.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:21 pm 

From recent outings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:14 pm 

Using my Hill People Gear Kit Bag (chest mounted) while conducting a map check on the Yellow Trail between Bushnell Flats and Little Marcy in the ADK High Peaks Region (South).

I like this bag as it allows me to carry my "high-use possibles" (camera, GPS, maps, TP, bug spray, sun screen, ect.) in a convenient place.

Normally, this gear would be relegated to the lid of my pack which meant taking the pack off to get at it, which can be cumbersome and time-consuming at times.

Fanny packs (AKA "nut rucks") and waist belt mounted pouches didn't work for me, nor did they have the volume I needed.

I live vicariously through my own memories.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 pm 

Not a great picture but I'm not a picture person so I'm lucky to even have this one! Indiana in February, 29 degrees, light snow, with 20-35mph wind gusts. Gear list as follows.

F'jall Raven soft shell - Better waterproofing and wind breaking than almost all other soft shells I've used.
Blackhawk ITS Pants - Thicker material is great for cooler weather but these pants are not built with movement in mind.
Merrell Chameleon 4 Mid Ventilator Boots - Gore Tex is great for this type of weather, not warm weather, they retain too much heat.
T.A.D. Lite Speed Backpack - Best backpack I've owned yet. Nothing I've used matches the suspension and comfort as well as the versatility. If T.A.D. made a 2,500+ cu.in. pack, I'd buy it over Kifaru or Mystery Ranch.

This was only a short trip. Hiked 12.5 miles then went back home, so no tent, hammock, or sleeping bag pics.

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:09 pm 

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/20/ymybu9ud.jpg[/img]
Got marooned, Jack Sparrow style. AKA paddled out to this spot I know with a ladyfriend to beat the heat and crowds.

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/20/4ynaqady.jpg[/img]
Goal Zero panel charging the battery pack thing and my phone, Paktowl keeping my HPG Mountain Serape dry(ish) and my Miox standing by to purify water I just collected.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:55 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:36 pm 

California, when it hits the fan, will be thick with zombies and a quick escape to the high sierra may be an option.

Mosquito net hats and camping up on windy rock slabs to reduce bug proximity with lots of DEET.
BearVault bear cans to protect food when sleeping and as
convenient 3 gallon water jugs to minimize trips down to the creek.
2 DIY Caldera Cone alcohol stoves with minimal cooking utensils -4 people
trekking poles sleeping bags and pads.

Some predawn coffee brewing and pancake cooking eventually woke them all up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Car stored Spyderco slicing and dicing Zombie sausage and toe cheese in Bennington VT

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm 

Cockroach wrote:
Car stored Spyderco slicing and dicing Zombie sausage and toe cheese in Bennington VT

Are you on the trail?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Rahjahk wrote:
Cockroach wrote:

Are you on the trail?

Unfortunately not. That was at a" pick your own " berry farm. The locally produced cheese and pepperoni was exquisite tho...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:09 pm 

Some shots from the last week:

Since it is summer the small pack comes out. It is a Kifaru MOLLEX. There is a medium pocket attached to the bottom to hold all the foul weather gear for quick access. Two long pockets, one on each side, contain everything for the shelter along with a light pair of sandals for swimming and being in camp. A back pouch, mounted horizontally, holds all the food and cooking equipment. A organizer and a side pocket on the waist belt hold little odds and ends - flashlight, rope etc.. The top has a medium pod attached to it, though it is mostly empty here, for some extra space if required for food etc.. The green bag holds some things for the radio. Inside is the sleeping kit, med kit, and a utility bag with candles, rope, emergency supplies, extra batteries, and 3L of water in the camelbak.

The march to the camp begins by first ascending the cliff overlooking the city - nice weather for the kilt:

The shelter is set up in some cedar trees giving shade from morning 'til night. The pack hangs in the tree to make it easy to drink from the camelbak. That is a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker. Very comfortable and cool for summer sleeping. I bought one of these after reading and seeing some photos in a post made my Woods Walker.

After staying in the above spot for the night we marched to another; the camp is in some pines making for a cool space during the summer heat. You can see now what was in the green bag: a home made yaggi antenna - a tape measure yaggi:

Another shot of the antenna - it is made for 2 metres; I did not glue the pvc pipe that makes up the boom; so, the antenna pops apart for storage in the green antenna sack. It is attached to a Yaesu VX8/DR (I first read about this radio here on the ZS forum); I just passed my HAM test too so I'm now legit for propagating a few hundred watts:

With the antenna above my friend and I - who has a Baofang handheld attached to a similar homemade yaggi - have been able to talk simplex to a distance of 32 km! I tried to hit the local igate to send myself an email using the VX8R's packet modem using a small tri-band whip from a distance of 35 km (as measured by my gps); no joy - no email showed up on my smartphone. I switched to the Yaggi and re-sent the email packet; within 3 minutes my phone reported that I had a new email. That's a good distance to go with only 5 watt handhelds through bush over hilly terrain; that antenna - cheap and easy to make, makes a massive difference in what the radio can achieve - so, it is a good thing to have around or know how to make.

For the third night we marched down to a spot near the lake, again in the cedars for cool shade. You can see two Hennessy hammocks, one with a top, zip entry and one with the older bottom entry. I would not recommend the bottom entry - the top loading zip entry makes life so much easier. You can also see my friend's yaggi - built on wood. And in the background you can see a white cable running vertically from the camp's lamp line: that's a 20 foot long dipole that I rigged up for listening to shortwave - though I think I need to recalculate the length for optimal performance though I really only intended it for reception.

A closer shot of the hanging dipole:

A final shot of my shelter:

Some dry bags hang off the suspension line. The thermarest makes for soft insulation and my latest acquisition, a Kifaru woobie - kept my more than warm enough all night.

Now I just need to get out some more!

MT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:36 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Coleman hexi stove + Mora LMF Fireknife + coffee can + giant tin mug for a lid = boiled water in no time!

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

bacpacjac wrote:
Coleman hexi stove + Mora LMF Fireknife + coffee can + giant tin mug for a lid = boiled water in no time!

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Love it, great hack on a coffee can!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Took my kids to the river to play today. It wasn't a bushcrafty kind of day but we had a little picnic while we were there:

My son's cook kit in action: Blackthorn USA Nalgene with compass lid and my Coleman hexi stove boiling water in a good 'ol Timmies can with a big tin cup for a lid

He got the fire going using his SAK Camper and ferro rod, using some cattail fluff and a little bird's nest we found blown out of the tree:
(Yup. He used the long blade on the SAK instead of the awl. He was more comfortable with it and it gives us a good excuse to work on our knife sharpening skills.)

Our afternoon snack with a classic - PB & bananas in wraps. Used my Mora LMF Fireknife to cut and spread. The banana case and little lexan dish with lid worked beautifully.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next