Your Gear in Action. Field Pics and Reviews Only.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Janissary

Re: Your Gear in Action. Field Pics and Reviews Only.

Post by Janissary » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:05 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yeniceri/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wasteland.Soldier

Post by Wasteland.Soldier » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:58 am

ninja-elbow wrote:Folding bucket, Sea to Summit 10 litre: http://www.rei.com/product/782973/sea-t ... -10-liters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was kind of an expensive impulse buy, now something I end up using often on my trips out in the dirt. Folds up into it's little zipper pouch and fits in the utility pocket of my bottle pouch/canteen rig. Just make sure you put it on something level when it is full of water ... or hang it.

Took one of these along with me for the first time while doing the Chilkoot Trail in Alaska and the Yukon this summer. I used it to let the silt fall out of suspension in the water so it wouldn't clog my filter. Works like a dream and I haven't filtered without it since. My mum was on another backpacking trip out there recently and one day forgot to use her folding bucket. Just pumped straight from the river. Bam! Filter got clogged and locked up on her. Good thing she had friends with filters of their own, or she would have had a nasty choice between Giardia and thirst.

Deuter Air Contact 65+10L Backpack serves as my backpacking/camping bag, as well as my BOB when I'm not already out. It's expensive as all hell, but works like a charm. I can carry 60+ lbs with it for many miles, even on 45 degree scrambles with zero problems.

For backpacking or bug out, a pair of good light shoes that will dry reasonably quickly are essential in case you need to get your feet wet. I keep my Keens strapped to my backpack. They're also super comfortable and they're a joy to have on around camp. I've tried more "sandal" style shoes, and had the straps tear open and the shoes get lost when crossing really fast moving streams. I can't see that happening with my Keens.

They're so comfortable I managed to hike with them for about 5 miles of rough terrain with 50lbs on my back when my boots unexpectedly caused my Achilles tendon to swell up and start hurting something awful. As you can see I wasn't loving life by the end (the tendon running along the top of my foot started hurting a fair bit), but it got me to camp where I was able to fashion a heel lift out of lots of toilet paper well enough to get me out of there.

In that picture you can also see how I attach my bear spray to the front of my backpack with a carabiner when I'm not wearing a load bearing vest. I don't like to wear my load bearing vest unless I'm in the backcountry and don't expect to see people I don't know.

spoolup

Post by spoolup » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Some from this year

Kifaru 8man for the elk hunt

Hennessy hammock

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Garmin 76CSX w/ RAM Mount:

Motorola MS350R

Fiskars Hatchet worked pretty good at chopping down that smallish tree:

*disclaimer: the the best knowledge of the OP no photos were taken while the vehicle was in motion...
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:06 pm

You guys inspired me to bust out my gear this morning for a simple lunch...

Here's some Heinz Beans being cooked up in my USGI Chow Kit on a Sterno Folding Stove. These are nice alternatives/back-up to propane systems and are good for vehicle camping, where you can carry a few cans, or bugging in, say a power outage in the winter. Not in the field, per-se, but I wanted to illustrate that this get-up is safe enough to use in a house. The folding stove runs about $7 and folds completely flat, making it easy to store, or store multiple stoves. Uses the 7 oz. cans.

Finished meal; A little pepper thrown in with some bread to scrape the sauce up with.

You don't have to stock up on Sterno. I've got a small stash of it, enough for a couple days of feeding my family, just buying the odd cans/3-packs when ever I can find them on sale.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Here's my sterno folding stove making some coffee in an authentic Italian perculator...this is the best way to make coffee, and the only way to get a true homemade Italian cappuccino.

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:06 pm

the strongest tent ever made.

http://www.wyominglostandfound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hunt therfore I am

jimdawg

Post by jimdawg » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Husky tool holster at Home Depot makes a great little flashlight storage holster. lol 1 mini mag, 1 of the tac lights (2 for $10 at Home Depot), 2 underwater kinetics 4AA lights, underwater kinetics 2AA light, and an underwater kinetics 2AAA light with hat/belt clip. And there is still a large empty pouch behind all of them.

LED flashlight/lantern from Home Depot for $15. Lantern also has a red light in it too. Not too bad. Good lighting but the lantern sometimes cuts in and out due to a loose connection between the battery pack and contact points. Gonna tear it apart and see if I can remedy this. A little shake and it lights right up. Only happened once in the 20 some times I've turned it on. Also has a bungee lanyard that un clips from the side of it and clips to the top to create a hanging point for camp use.

Big Gulp
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Zombie land

Post by Big Gulp » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:51 am

Here is my ghillie suit!!!

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid."
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm

http://www.wyominglostandfound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hunt therfore I am

PlayingSoldiers

Post by PlayingSoldiers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi, this is a hasty review of the pack I use for short hikes:

http://playingsoldiers.blogspot.com/201 ... kpack.html

Contents vary from time to time, basically the essentials, hydration and a PCU suit in case the weather goes foul. Sorry for the airsoft rifle, but it's enough for trouble where I live ;-)
Visit my blog http://playingsoldiers.blogspot.com for airsoft and outdoor gear reviews

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Kifaru paratipi on the AT.

parastove.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 pm

i aint posted on this thread in a while so here goes! :)

mossberg plinkster .22lr shooting 32 grain CCI stingers...

primus Litech kettle with homemade wood/alcohol stove...

anza knife with cocobolo scales, LMF scout model firesteel along with fatwood and dried/dead palm frond tinder...

eureka spitfire2...

old hickory paring knife with forced patina, stained handle, and silva tin sharpening kit...

fire kits...

CRKT folts minimalist with fatwood shavings...

gerber LMF...

MSR 1 gallon dromedary with optional bite valve and hose...

katadyn hiker along with my water kit...

gerber profile...

MSR pocket rocket with large coleman cook pot...

MOLLE 3 day patrol pack with USGI poncho liner on top...

magellan triton 400...

ZS nalgene with MSR sweetwater purification drops...

grundig G6 aviator AM/FM shortwave radio with homemade clip on antenna...

UCO candle lantern, wyominglostandfound multicam tark, mosquito net, and thermarest pad...

modified cheap harbor freight woodland camo poly tarp...

coleman MAX headlamp with cobra 2 way NOAA radios...

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:58 am

Here is a oldie but goodie. I guess we can call this a 40 plus year review. My uncle who was a back country outfitter and veteran of the big one gave this to me when I was about 12 years old. I have been thru a lot of long forgotten knives but this one lives on. Handy size, easy to sharpen and light weight. Whats not to like? It worked for my uncle for many years and still works for me today. The original sheath has long since gone to leather heaven.

I am guessing that it is a Western Baby Shark, but you know what I could be wrong. The thing is that all those knives of our grand fathers still work and carry some history, maybe even a ghost or two.

Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:40 am

Mrs. BD (on the right) happily slicing away with her world famous Mora. She has other knives but clings to the Mora, I guess because she is comfortable making it quite sharp enough. Not bad for a (ex) city girl.

Right click for video.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

PlayingSoldiers

Post by PlayingSoldiers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:37 am

Wrote a small review on this inexpensive yet very useful piece of kit:

This folding saw weighs nothing, yet it allows you to build a campfire or gather takeaway fuel in minutes. At first I thought it would shatter or dull after a few strokes, however it is holding up fine after splitting +100Kg of wood :shock:

Full review here:
http://playingsoldiers.blogspot.com/201 ... g-saw.html
Visit my blog http://playingsoldiers.blogspot.com for airsoft and outdoor gear reviews

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Wenzel 2 man Tent $21 delivered from Amazon. Weight is 3.4 lbs and occupies 18x4x4" of space.
This will come with me on the next Mock Bug Out.
I put it up in about 5 minutes and sprayed it with Kiwi Camp Dry. It was very windy today and I couldn't feel any wind inside the tent. When they say two man, that's it. My son and I chilled out a minute in the tent and it was comfortable.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Buck Camp Saw and Cabela's Outdoor Pants:

Henry Survival Rife (AR7):
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

brownwaterwarrior

Post by brownwaterwarrior » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 pm

My new Hennessy Hammock Explorer A-Sym Zip. I had a lack of options for set up so I decided to set up using what I had so here it is:

I was testing kit and was using the USGI Multicam Poncho Liner as an underquilt.

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 am

The basic of gear in action pic -melting snow for drinking water.

The next morning this fire had melted a crater 4 feet down to the ground and
difficult to make use of so we started a new one on top of the snow.

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:37 am

My current favored winter set up. A Snugpak Antarctica sleeping bag, Integral Designs Bivy, Wiggy's ground mat (in the bivy), a reindeer hide (under the bivy) and my ruck under my feet for just a little more insulation. This was cold enough to give the snugpak a good test, and it passed.

Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Tue May 22, 2012 6:08 pm

My son used his Gerber BG fire starter this weekend. It worked well and he's really getting the hang of it. It fits well in his hand too:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... G_0181.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... G_0183.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... G_0182.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fire!
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... G_0184.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PROBLEM?!
When he went to put it way, he slid the scraper into the rod end and it got stuck. Not all the way in but jammed in there good. He didn't seem to do anything wrong but the angle obviously didn't line up. I had a very hard time getting them apart again. It has been tough to get back in and I don't know if this is something that will loosen with use or if it'll be a constant problem but.... we're going to get him a new ferro rod ASAP.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 074408.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

homerj109
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead

Post by homerj109 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Eno double hammock and a Magellan Outdoors Scout Tent (Academy Sports line):

I love the hammock, its light weight and packs into itself while not taking up much space. Its big enough for two, I also pack an Eno rain tarp (not pictured) that is pretty lightweight and durable.

I got this tent because it was light and cheap but it doesn't breathe well and was too hot in there to use. I am 6.1 and barely fit in it length wise, although it is a single person tent, width wise, my wife and I can fit although its pretty cramped. I still haven't tested it in wet weather so I can't vouch for how it will hold up. I will probably end up keeping this in a secondary BOB until winter.

Bear Grylls Survival Knife:

I don't care for the color or the big BG logo but its a pretty good camp knife, I love the built in fire starter. Its sharp and stays sharp even after some heavy use batoning through wood. So far this knife is holding up pretty well, the handle isn't coming apart or anything else going wrong that I have read about in negative reviews,

Ready2Fish Backpacking Fishing Pole:

I picked this up at a Sportsman's Warehouse for $30, the rod telescopes, comes with a reel, carrying case with a sling, and a compact little tackle box with some basic hooks and lures. Its light and sturdy when it is locked into the fully expanded position, it casts pretty well, although I haven't caught anything with it yet I am pretty optimistic it won't be snapping on me. I got it caught on a few underwater branches and had to pull on the line to break it free with no bending or damage. So far I love this thing and how I can fit everything into a compact little case and sling it over my shoulder or rig it to my rucksack, everything packed together is around a pound and there is still some room to put some extra line or other fishing gear. The velcro on the carrying case is pretty shoddy and I don't trust it, but wrapping some 550 cord around it secures everything inside it.

wyomingiscold

Post by wyomingiscold » Sat May 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Me and BigDumbDog in the southern part of Bridger National Forest.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”