BullOnParade's Bug Out LBV - Pic Heavy

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

BullOnParade's Bug Out LBV - Pic Heavy

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Okay. I think I'm ready for this. Over nine months on zombie squad, and I think I'm about due to post my Bug Out Vest. I know I'm in for a couple pages of ridicule, but I'm ready :P. My FAK is the first pouch I will be replacing, but in the mean time, I will take my lumps for only carrying a glorified boo-boo kit on my person (my car's FAK is a fair bit more advanced).

This is The front of the vest.
Admin Pouch,
Cell Headset,
Spare Car Keys,
Whistle,
Cap Light,
Hand Sanitizer,
Sunglasses,
Compass,
Fire Pouch.

Admin Pouch
Signal Mirror,
Magnifying lens,
Also provides somewhere to keep any camping permits.

Fire Pouch, as carried

Fire Pouch, Contents
Pen,
Swedish Firesteel,
Lighter,
Magnesium Fire starter,
Fire candle,
sawdust based fire starter x 2
Ignight-o fire starter packet.

Drop Leg Panel
Knife,
FAK
Cell phone Pouch
Pen + LED light

FAK

FAK Contents
Safe Mask,
Toe Warmers,
Triangular Bandage + Safety Pins,
Two days worth of Pain Killers,
Bobby Pins x 3,
Hair Ties x 2,
First aid Tape,
Gauze,
Tensor Bandage Wrap,
Scissors,
Band-Aids,
alcohol prep pads.

Back of Vest
Bandana,
Food Pouch,
Para-cord Wrapped glow stick x 2,
Para-cord x 30',
3m Duct Tape,
Dump Pouch,
Black Diamond Carabiner,
Gerber Sharpening Stone - Removed,
Duty Belt,
Expandable baton Sheath,
Foul Weather Gear,
Sleeping Bag.

Food Pouch (collapsed as food is used)

Food Pouch Contents
Cutlery,
Pot,
Camp-stove,
Oatmeal,
Rice,
Granola Bars,
Fruit Cup.

Dump Pouch contents
Urban Survival Pocket,
Toiletry Kit,
Survival Blanket,
Sewing Kit,
Contractor Garbage Bag.

Survival Pocket
$2 Rolled coin x 25,
Address book,
USB drive Photo ID.

Toiletry Kit
Deoderant,
Toothbrush,
Toothpaste,
Nailcare kit + p38 Can Opener,
soap,
Alcohol Wipes,
Razor,
Sharpening Stone,
Toilet Paper.

Foul Weather Gear
HH Rain Jacket,
UA Tuque,
Gloves.

So that's what I've got. It may not be perfect, but If I was told I had to evac. tonight, It would be coming with me. Tell me what you would change, I'm not afraid to answer any questions you might have. I'm sure there's a few things I'm missing, If I have it I will throw it in and update the list. Thanks in advance for your input everyone.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Re: BullOnParade's Bug Out LBV - Pic Heavy

Post by elkhills » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:21 pm

I never feel qualified to comment on this stuff, so I usually don't, but this looks pretty damn good to me!
Before I comment, a question, is this lbv rig meant to be used as a supplement to a larger system, or all on its own?

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:45 pm

looks good except for the canteen on a drop leg...."slosh, slosh, slosh"
“Blessed be God, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.”
Psalms 144;1

none1

Post by none1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:57 am

I like it, looks good. I do like having dual water storage, canteen + camelback.

For me, I don't like drop legs, they wear poorly, if you've hiked with one, and it works for you, cool.

Perhaps some water purification?

TP? OR a small pack of 15 "wet ones" that kill germs could double duty this and add to the sanitary pack.

How about adding the canteen cup + stove? Would fit in your canteen pouch, and give you something to boil water in. Not sure if this would be any better than your pot + camp stove, the pics you have are hard to see, but the pot looks small?

More food? again, I can't tell how much oatmeal and rice you have in there, or how many calories, but a couple snickers could up the length of time before you went really hungry. The question of course is "how long" do I need to live on this? Usually I think of a BOB as being for 3 days. Even with your vest, a relatively lite "TORNADO (fire, storm, etc.) GO TO HOTEL NOW" I'd want a full day of food, i.e. 2000ish calories.

zip tie or duct tape on the lighter, to prevent it from accidently being pushed down durring storage and letting all your fuel out? (I've had this happen to me :-) )

shelter? I see the sleeping bag, perhaps a small tarp, or even one of the "survival bivys"? Those are real light.

GL!!
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

EODTech256
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them

Post by EODTech256 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 am

Not a bad start. I would add some sort of water storage (since your canteen isn't whole). I would also say more food, a full MRE would work good. Thanks for sharing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." --Thomas Paine

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 am

elkhills wrote:I never feel qualified to comment on this stuff, so I usually don't, but this looks pretty damn good to me!
Before I comment, a question, is this lbv rig meant to be used as a supplement to a larger system, or all on its own?
This rig is meant to be used on its own. I would really like to purchase additional pouches to load with camping supplies so that when the time comes I want to go camping I can pull off the 5.11 10.6 drop pouch and put on another which will hold hammock, bug net, tarp (The 10.6 will hold these things, but not with what is currently in there). When I go camping I am not alone, but usually with at least one other person.
AgentBlack wrote:looks good except for the canteen on a drop leg...."slosh, slosh, slosh"
The canteen isn't a full canteen. I use the pouch for first aid items, and just cut the plastic canteen in half to cover the first aid items. No "slosh, slosh, slosh"
none1 wrote:I like it, looks good. I do like having dual water storage, canteen + camelback.

For me, I don't like drop legs, they wear poorly, if you've hiked with one, and it works for you, cool.

Perhaps some water purification?

TP? OR a small pack of 15 "wet ones" that kill germs could double duty this and add to the sanitary pack.

How about adding the canteen cup + stove? Would fit in your canteen pouch, and give you something to boil water in. Not sure if this would be any better than your pot + camp stove, the pics you have are hard to see, but the pot looks small?

More food? again, I can't tell how much oatmeal and rice you have in there, or how many calories, but a couple snickers could up the length of time before you went really hungry. The question of course is "how long" do I need to live on this? Usually I think of a BOB as being for 3 days. Even with your vest, a relatively lite "TORNADO (fire, storm, etc.) GO TO HOTEL NOW" I'd want a full day of food, i.e. 2000ish calories.

zip tie or duct tape on the lighter, to prevent it from accidently being pushed down durring storage and letting all your fuel out? (I've had this happen to me :-) )

shelter? I see the sleeping bag, perhaps a small tarp, or even one of the "survival bivys"? Those are real light.

GL!!
I forgot my water purification! Inside the bladder pocket is an emergency drinking straw, and a small drip bottle of bleach.
Inside of the toiletries bag is a small core-less roll of tp. It's inside of a cardboard tube, which is wrapped in black and camo duct tape. I call it my tactical tp.
I agree I could use more food, I'm planning on picking up a few energy bars and higher calorie foods next time I'm out, I have lots of room inside the food pouch. I am happy with my current stove and pot though, it holds enough for a moderately sized meal.
I'm not worried about the lighter in my fire pouch, just because of its design and location. I will likely take your advice when I throw a mini bic into my food pouch though.
I also agree with regards to shelter. A small survival bivy is on my list.
eodtech256 wrote:Not a bad start. I would add some sort of water storage (since your canteen isn't whole). I would also say more food, a full MRE would work good. Thanks for sharing.
It's a camelbak delta 5 tac vest. There's a 3L bladder built in. I also carry a camelbak better bottle as edc bringing my total water capacity to 4L. I would like to add an msr dromedary, but they seem to have disappeared from my local sporting stores, again, it's on the list.

Thanks for the input guys. I need you to recommend more stuff for me to ask for from my girlfriend for Christmas and my birthday 8).
BullOnParade

Spinich

Post by Spinich » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:04 am

Thank god for you prepared types with all your squared away highspeed gear.

One well placed shot and it becomes my highspeed gear fow free! :)

;)

Nice setup man.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

Spinich wrote:Thank god for you prepared types with all your squared away highspeed gear.

;)

Nice setup man.
Yes, but first you have to find me.

Anyone who will complain about a lack of tools or weapons,
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4&start=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That thread is on my pimped out collapsable baton, and I also have a Latin machete which I'm in the process of altering the handle.
BullOnParade

tilt

Post by tilt » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Spinich wrote:Thank god for you prepared types with all your squared away highspeed gear.

;)

Nice setup man.

You sure you're on the right website?
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

Diesel2
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them with the slow runners 8-)

Post by Diesel2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:02 am

Hey Bull, looks good. One 'weapon' you might want to add is some anti-mosquito/black fly dope. I recall you saying your BOL is in the 'hurst area, and man, as you know, they are nasty up there. I didn't make it up there this summer, but heard it was a banner year for the buzzin' wee bastards.

Is that a 'tactical' guitar case in the background? 8) Camo that amp bro!

Spinich from Flo Rida won't be hard to spot...'boots with the fur' in the summer will be the talk of the docks. Jeeze, some tourists.... :roll: :lol:
Nth90 wrote: "If you look at much of the data posted here things could get bumpy but not eat the household cat bumpy."

Spinich

Post by Spinich » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:20 am

I thought the ;) was self explanatory.

What's wrong with furry boots? My Ughs are ACU pattern and pretty darn tacticool if you ask me.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Bug spray added. Just a small spray bottle, but enough for a couple days worth.
BullOnParade

scarymonkey
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days

Post by scarymonkey » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:57 am

I think its pretty good...
Prepare for the worst and dare the good Lord to dissapoint you.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am

fruit cup made me wince.. If it were my gear, that would get squished and make everything icky, or would spoil and be rather alcoholic by the time I got around to eating it.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

larmus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything romero, classic "b" rated zombie movies

Post by larmus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Squirrley wrote:fruit cup made me wince.. If it were my gear, that would get squished and make everything icky, or would spoil and be rather alcoholic by the time I got around to eating it.
totally agree squirrley... i would replace the fruit cup with dried fruit, if ya want the fruit aspect...
"Time to nut up, or shut up" - tallahassee

ImageImage Credit goes to Morbid_Mistress

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:51 pm

The foods get swapped out several times a year, I wait for the things I keep in the bag to come on sale, or items of higher nutritional value/calories - For example I've upgraded the granola bars to Cliff Bars, and swapped out the sesames seed bars. Nothing is in there long enough to go unbearably stale or rot. And Ive added a large peanut butter jar to the food pouch to hold everything in, which should protect the oatmeal from getting wet in the rain, and keep anything else from getting squashed.
BullOnParade

JudgeDreadd

Post by JudgeDreadd » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:17 pm

I would really like to see it with your BOB, since they would be used together, I can't really comment since it's likely a lot of things i would suggest are inside your BOB now. Definitely preempted well with the first aid kit, yellowing gause = not sterile at all = bad mojo.

To me a tactical vest should carry things that you use quickly on the go while simultaneously walking, think of it like a policeman's belt. Things like a compass, multitool, pistol and magazines, minature map book, flashlight, knife, rubber soled or leather gloves, radio or cell phone, ect.

I think some things like a FAK, fire starting kit, and food should be part of the BOB since if you can probably spare the minute to take off your pack if you're bleeding and need to clean/stitch/bandage a wound or to build a fire.
by-the-throat wrote: I assume you've already screened your current associates for rabid rascism, pedophila, laziness and excessive tin foil hattery?
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:26 pm

JudgeDreadd wrote:I would really like to see it with your BOB, since they would be used together, I can't really comment since it's likely a lot of things i would suggest are inside your BOB now. Definitely preempted well with the first aid kit, yellowing gause = not sterile at all = bad mojo.

To me a tactical vest should carry things that you use quickly on the go while simultaneously walking, think of it like a policeman's belt. Things like a compass, multitool, pistol and magazines, minature map book, flashlight, knife, rubber soled or leather gloves, radio or cell phone, ect.

I think some things like a FAK, fire starting kit, and food should be part of the BOB since if you can probably spare the minute to take off your pack if you're bleeding and need to clean/stitch/bandage a wound or to build a fire.
It is what you see. The point of the pouches on my back are to replace the BOB. I've been reorganizing things recently as I'm back in the market for a few new pouches. Your logic is right, if I need something out of the back pouches (food, or to set up camp) then yes I can stop, take off the vest, and get the things I need, though a first aid kit will stay in the front, because I want access to these things AS SOON AS I need them.
BullOnParade

JudgeDreadd

Post by JudgeDreadd » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Interesting. I'd be interested to see how that works for you. Maybe try an overnight hiking trip (say 10 miles?) with only the vest and see how it goes? While I can definitely appreciate the added mobility and ease of access a vest offers, I'm not sure if you have enough storage space for a shelter and food. Good looking kit tho!
by-the-throat wrote: I assume you've already screened your current associates for rabid rascism, pedophila, laziness and excessive tin foil hattery?
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/zombie_how" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank

Post by Frank » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:55 pm

i thought that was a backpack :shock: :shock:

dude, there is way to much stuff dangling
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Poseidon wrote:

In the pic there are only three things dangling ... four if you count the bandana. And two of the three are under 8oz. I plan on updating some pics in a week or two, I'm waiting on new pouches.
BullOnParade

shoggoth80
Favorite Zombie Movies: Too many to list in total. The Romero films are classic... but Fido cracks me up!

Post by shoggoth80 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:38 am

The fact that you have a vest rig makes me jealous! Good looking for the most part I would say. Though being on a vest, I would opt for the lightest effective gear I could get my hands on. Budget, and local availability are factors of course. Just ideas. Take them as you will of course.

Things I would do:
Cut that toothbrush down.
Toothpowder is more compact, and lighter (generally) than tooth paste. A little goes a long way.
Unless the razor serves a purpose other than cleaning up your stubble, I'd pitch it.
The signal mirror is kind of big. That might not be an issue to you though. If you wanted to go quick, dirty, really light, and small, it is possible to improvise one from a CD or DVD.
Instead of the three piece cutlery set... perhaps get a titanium spork, or a Light My Fire polycarbonate multi-spork thing. Of course, the knife part on the multi-spork is limited, and there isn't one with a Ti spork. However, if you already carry a knife otherwise, and feel comfortable cutting your food with it... why not cut it down to one dedicated eating utensil?
If you don't have a canteen cup, get one. It can replace your pot... save you some space to pack something else in.
Not sure how big your camp stove is... but I know they make canteen stoves that go with the canteen/cut/carrier combo. Might save you some space as well. ESBIT maybe otherwise? Small, light, relatively compact. You can burn ESBIT tabs, Trioxane,or Hexamine on it. It does work to boil water... but you might want some tinfoil as a windbreak.

I'm not sure what sort of environment you live in, so you ultimately decide what gear you should carry. I'm just lending suggestions. The above suggestions that I gave are things I have done myself. In my hygiene kit, I have toothpowder (if you want a basic mix, PM, or google). a snubbed down toothbrush, a snubbed down comb. I had a snubbed down razor, but decided to pitch it, even though it weighs nothing. Shaving isn't as essential as having clean teeth. The small baggie of toothpowder weighs less than the travel toothpaste tube I had, and will likely last longer in terms of use.

Like I said, just suggestions... if you like them, and they suit your purpose, awesome. If not, well, no big deal. :lol:

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:20 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

In the pic there are only three things dangling ... four if you count the bandana. And two of the three are under 8oz. I plan on updating some pics in a week or two, I'm waiting on new pouches.
I'm not sure what weighs what, so I'll have to make this kind of generic, but- I'd set the back up with the heaviest item up between your shoulder blades. This will be your best location to keep heavy items nearest your center of gravity. I was taught this in the army, and at the same time, was told that women tend to have a lower COG than men, and do better with heavier loads closer to the waistline. Of course, everyone will be a little different, but as a general rule, I've found this to hold true- at least on the men's COG aspect of it. If I ever become a woman, I'll get back to y'all on that one :lol:
You can then put the lighter items below that heaviest, and I think you'll find the arrangement pretty comfortable. As heavier items often tend to be the largest as well, you might want to piggy back pouches with the MOLLE gear for ease of access. I've never used a camel-back, so take my suggestio0ns with a grain of salt- I'm not sure what, if any, effect this suggestion might have on a bladder mounted center back. Worth trying out tho- it's all movable, after all.
Does your vest have a belt line attached to it? I find a belt attached helps keep the load balanced when weight becomes a tad more in back than front, for instance. I assume you have a belt for the drop leg panel.
I like the BOVest idea, overall. 20 years ago or so, I purchased a Ranger's Vest with this idea in mind- they didn't have the tacti-cool stuff that's on the market now- this was back in the days before the internet :shock: The Ranger vest has a large pocket on the back, sort of a built in backpack, with a flap. I say 'sort of', because the entire idea was jam packed with fail. Any sort of load in the back just dragged the vest down like it wanted to be a saggy pair of pants. There was no belt attachment option. Balancing the weight in front meant overloading the teeny pockets, and inviting rips or seam failures. I eventually settled on a simple, low weight hunk of tarp folded up in the back pocket, some food and fishing gear in the front pockets, and a pistol belt for everything else. Overall, I never was happy with any configuration on that thing.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:09 pm

I've decided to order a Molle style butt pack (something like this. It should allow me to shift the 5.11 10x6 pouch up to the middle of my back, and stack the 5.11 dump pouch on top of that keeping food and some camp necessities higher up, while I throw the lighter items like clothes and non essentials hanging over my butt. If I can find a pack I like in my price range I can hopefully take the equipment for a mock bug out in mid- to late August.
BullOnParade

Return to “Bug Out Gear”