It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bug Out Bag...w/Wheels?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:07 pm 

I've got this idea I can't quite flesh out.

I'm reading a story and part of it's about about a family bugging out with a kids wagon. It wont roll in the dirt, a wheel falls off, etc.
It got me thinking...my luggage has wheels and a handle on it...could it be done?
Maybe some 12" bike tires (truth: the bigger the tire the smaller the bump) and a short axle (spanning the width of the bag)? Any handy stick could serve as a pole/handle lashed on. Maybe it would be better to have a third wheel up front and drag the thing with a rope?

I don't know, there a lots of possibilities- like a light framed wagon, rickshaw, travois. I'm thinking light, small, parts in the bag and assembled on the spot as needed. Any thoughts?

Mag Pouch PSK Contest
My Knife

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:48 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:59 pm 

ETA: not me or anyone i know

I think you need a smaller BOB if you need wheels

my blog: GarandThumb.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 pm 

Maybe they should have gotten one of the beefier radio flyers with the off-road style tires.... 8)

My dad has a cart he uses around his shop, it has two mountain bike style tires on it and works pretty darned good on rocky soil as long as the tires stay inflated. Myself tho, if I am bugging out with wheels, those wheels would be turning under their own power.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:06 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

elkhills wrote:
I'm reading a story and part of it's about about a family bugging out with a kids wagon. It wont roll in the dirt, a wheel falls off, etc.

A garden cart would work better for them. This one has 12" wheels:

I've got one like this, which looks more "fun" but only has 8" pneumatic tyres. They're OK, but 12" would be better:

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:41 pm 

There are plenty of carts that would do, the ones sold to carry deer, or canoe carts, all have a couple nice big tires.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:25 pm 

Okay, this is about 10 minutes worth of prototyping.

The wheels and axle off a BBQ that needs to go to the dump.
Why am I mounting wheels to a Bug Out Bag and not going to the Dump? Mind your own business! Did my wife get to you?

The axle fits perfectly through the bottom holes of the MOLLE Ruck frame. A little too long by about 2 inches but could be easily cut down if I decide I like the concept.

The waist and shoulder straps are dragging/in the way, so I looped the waist belt up through the top handle and looped the shoulder straps around the sustainment pouches. And the canteens had to come off, I don't like that.

I cut a random stick about an inch thick with my Bug Out Machete and wormed it down between the ruck and frame as a handle. A snug fit but I think I would lash it with a little paracord clove hitch before trying it out for real.

These proof of concept wheels measure 7 x 1.5 inches and weigh next to nothing. They do fit fine in the pack, and the axle slid nice right next to the machete. I used the cotter pin to clip it to a loop of paracord.

It works, at least for a stroll around the back yard. And it might be nice to have the option of getting 45 lbs off my back from time to time, at least on smooth trails and roads.

Mag Pouch PSK Contest
My Knife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:50 pm 

I actually really like the garden cart idea! I have been pondering how to move my kids if my car is removed from the equation. The mesh sides could have rolled up tents and sleeping bags and such. It sounded silly at first but now I am wondering.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:15 pm 

Dixon Rollerpack

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:42 am 

Dudes, he's talking about a pack with wheels and you are throwing carts and wagons at him.
There's another thread called "carts" somewhere, check it out.

OP, I had to get me a folding luggage cart last time I went traveling by jet, couldn't handle all the carry on and run for next flight. DFW is a big airport.
And they sell some nice packs with wheels on them. Some wheels look like skateboard or inline ones. Make sure your BBQ wheels can handle the weight. I overloaded a wagon and all the plastic wheels crumbled. Replaced with steel wheels/bearings. Also might use some spacers so wheels won't move and rub on pack.

And, yes, I've thought about carts and wagons before. Was on a yahoo group, we had some great ideas for stuff, bike trailers, jogging strollers, garden carts, deer haulers, even a big red wagon with six wheels on it (cost $400). But, then they started talking about eating people, so I left.
I'm sure if we bug out there will be kids, need something to carry cases of water, food and kids when they're sleeping. I got a deer drag strap to help pull whatever we wind up with. Might need to get some more and hook kids to wagon like a team of horses.

-fenris-

Veritas wrote:
My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:31 pm 

I like the idea you have there elks... but I was thinking that if the BOB is too heavy why not reduce the weight... but then I thought maybe you have a bad back or a member of your party might have a bad back or other physical issues.

I like this a lot but are you sure the wheels will hold up on and off road?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:42 pm 

Finch wrote:

Hey gun kid is that you? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:45 pm 

liberty45 wrote:
but then I thought maybe you have a bad back

Dude, did you ever wonder why they make baby strollers?? I mean the baby only weighs 20 pounds, right?? Carry that little tot all day, changing arms that ache and when it goes to sleep try not to wake it, maybe then you'll figure out what the strollers are for.
Really, can you carry a loaded pack all day long?? Never putting it down?? There's loads of guys bragging about they can carry 80-100 pound packs, running down the trail. But all day, all week, till you get to where ever?? I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, do you guys think that when TSHTF, we'll just go out in the forest with our BOBs and camp for three days till FEMA shows up to take care of us???? What if it takes four days to get to the forest? What if there's no forest? What if you never get out of town? What if, horror of horrors, FEMA doesn't show?? And there's 100s or 1000s of people in the forest? Each with their own two trees for their tarp and hammock. And all the caches you put away have been found and raided or you had to take another route because of some reason.
WTF then, your BOB becomes an INCH magically??

-fenris-

Veritas wrote:
My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:38 pm 

I don't know if this is helpful to you but this is my exploratory post on a very similar idea. I hope that you find this useful. Zac
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=39846&start=0

raptor wrote:
Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:42 pm 

bltjr1951 wrote:
liberty45 wrote:
but then I thought maybe you have a bad back

Really, can you carry a loaded pack all day long?? Never putting it down?? There's loads of guys bragging about they can carry 80-100 pound packs, running down the trail. But all day, all week, till you get to where ever?? I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, do you guys think that when TSHTF, we'll just go out in the forest with our BOBs and camp for three days till FEMA shows up to take care of us???? What if it takes four days to get to the forest? What if there's no forest? What if you never get out of town? What if, horror of horrors, FEMA doesn't show?? And there's 100s or 1000s of people in the forest? Each with their own two trees for their tarp and hammock. And all the caches you put away have been found and raided or you had to take another route because of some reason.
WTF then, your BOB becomes an INCH magically??

Exactly! You guys get it. Bugging out on foot is the last resort for me anyway, probably because the house is burned down/run through with zombies, and who knows what to expect out there? Or for how long? And why make things harder than they have to be, ie. toting a heavy pack on your shoulders when you know there's a better way?

liberty45 wrote:
I like the idea you have there elks... but I was thinking that if the BOB is too heavy why not reduce the weight... but then I thought maybe you have a bad back or a member of your party might have a bad back or other physical issues.

I like this a lot but are you sure the wheels will hold up on and off road?

I probably will upgrade to lighter stuff eventually, but this is what I've got for now. And you're right, some of us do have back issues and toting a heavy pack around probably wont help that.
These plastic BBQ wheels are just to prove the point that it could be done, I don't think they would hold up well long term. I'm just trying to see if there is potential here to pursue. Already I can see it needs more ground clearance, ie. bigger wheels.

Towanda wrote:

Now that's what I'm talking about, but not for $300. Not for me, anyway.
I'm thinking along the lines of what you see at the airport, carryable bags that can convert as needed.

What do you guys think, is this worth putting more thought into? If so, how much on road vs. off road travel would you expect to see? Would inline skate type wheels work (small, light, strong- on road only though)?

Mag Pouch PSK Contest
My Knife

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:54 pm 

unslung wrote:
I don't know if this is helpful to you but this is my exploratory post on a very similar idea. I hope that you find this useful. Zac

Thanks! Good stuff, I should search better before I post, huh? The golf bag and deer cart ideas have got me thinking...

Mag Pouch PSK Contest
My Knife

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:32 pm 

Well, like post #2 says...

The hero in "The Road" used a grocery cart. :shock:

One of the rodeo games is to have a race with grocery carts in the arena dirt.
I think one year the winner just picked the cart up and ran.

-fenris-

Veritas wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:53 pm 

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive
bltjr1951 wrote:
OP, I had to get me a folding luggage cart last time I went traveling by jet,
I keep a small collapsible 2-wheel luggage cart in my trunk to help carry water, gas, or supplies for a GHB. Similar reasons elkhills has mentioned. FWIW, I once used those large 4 wheel collapsible grocery/laundry carts (the kinds of things common in urban cities) "off-road" on somewhat firm dirt, probably the equivalent of a yard with sparse grass.

bltjr1951 wrote:
Was on a yahoo group, we had some great ideas for stuff, bike trailers, jogging strollers, garden carts, deer haulers,
I I think all of those would work well. Garden carts and deer haulers are meant to hold more weight so those might be better. However, bike trailers and jogging strollers are lighter and typically smaller when collapsed.

bltjr1951 wrote:
But, then they started talking about eating people, so I left.
:shock:

bltjr1951 wrote:
Might need to get some more and hook kids to wagon like a team of horses.
Win!

unslung wrote:
I was going to suggest that same thread. :)

elkhills wrote:
Okay, this is about 10 minutes worth of prototyping.
The wheels and axle off a BBQ that needs to go to the dump.
that. is. awesome. very impressed. way to MacGyver.

Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:11 am 

Finch wrote:
A Good Example of "Armed to the Teeth" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:41 am 

Towanda wrote:

:shock: Wow, I can't wait for people to start getting these out here. I'm gonna laugh my ass off when they get pulled down the side of the mountain by their backwards wheelbarrow pack.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 am 

What really works well is a Polaris 6x6 with a trailer...

I have a set of kid's bike training wheels just for a project like the one with the bbq axle/wheels, but with a plywood frame. Can modify the bracket that holds the wheels and use 26" mtn bike wheels or small garden tractor balloon tires? Maybe use 2 sets of brackets, (find them all the time at thrift/resale shops), and make a wagon.

Wheelbarrow actually is a pretty decent tool Rubbermaid livestock troughs mounted on a framework or carriage are even better for lightweight, UV resistant and waterproof (duh)...

A mountainbike with front & rear racks can each hold a backpack, rig a set of panniers front & rear also and push your way to safety... Then there are the covered kiddie bike trailers if you really want to lug a load.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:59 am 

Finch wrote:

NOW THAT'S FUNNY.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:54 am 

you could try a hard sided Golf Travel Bag
they have wheels a handle and locks or clip to close
plus they are four to five feet long
you could load long gun and a lot of stuff in

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:34 pm 

Elkhills I am highly interested in your idea with the Molle and wheels. I think the MOLLE 3 frame would hold up to the torque better though and you can snag one of those off eBay pretty cheap.

Maybe this will start the ideas flowing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-New-10 ... 2254wt_792

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wonder-Wheeler-WIDE ... _684wt_995

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stowamatic-LITE-Tra ... 4956wt_995

Dundee Rig 2.0