It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:22 pm 

This is my first post to the forum. :clap:
My BOB is more of a get home/hunting bag. I am somewhat new to "prepping" and just starting making a preparation bag to keep in my truck. I live in on the Gulf Coast where hurricanes are common, so i wanted to stay prepared.
5.11 Rush 24.
In the first pic youll notice i havent put much in the main opening as of yet.
Extra bottle of water ( i keep a case in the bed of my truck)
Scent Killer, deoderant spray, shemagh and rain jacket not shown
Top concealed compartment:Rayban sunglasses with Zeiss glasses cleaner
Main compartment mesh:
FAK kit
Draw String:
Extra pair of RedHead lifetime warranty socks/compression undies/dry fit long sleeve shirt

Front opening(Interior):
Misc top pouch:
orange trail marking tape, floss,matches and extra set of keys
Middls pouch:
3 cliff bars, epic protein bar, 5 hr energy, electrolite/energy powder to add to water
Bottom pouch:
Toilet Paper, coffee filters, baby wipes, hand warmers and an emergency blanket.

Side pouch:
Gloves

Outside Top pouches:
Batteries, lighter and flash lights

Outside Main pouch:
Loaded .223/.45 acp/.380 mag for all of my ready to use guns (.380 is my cc, Colt commander 1911 .45 acp is my main pistol and my AR stays in the case at home with loaded mags)
hand sanatizer, pens, scissors, multitool, light sticks, survival tin
Maxped EDC can be easily put into BOB/GHB.
Please help me out since im new. What do i need that would make my bag better?

****for some reason my photos are over 850 pixels and they wont upload...anyone know how to resize these? I took them on my iPhone and uploaded to mobile photobucket****

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:49 am 

Here's my BOB/Backpacking kit as it currently stands, with small changes pending.

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

BOB - Kifaru Timberline 2 5,200 cu.in.

Main contents from top left to bottom right.
Top Row:
Snugpak Ionosphere 1 man tent
Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy 3 season Long 800 Fill in OR compression sack
Exped Downmat UL 7 LW with Shnozzle
Lake and Trail Camp Pillow - self-inflating, cost $10 and works great!
SOL Escape Bivvy - In case I need quick warmth, or I need to get below 20 degrees F.
Merino Base Layer, Poly Mid Layer, and 2 pair Merino Socks
Princeton Tec Fred Headlamp
Silva Polaris Compass (Maps not shown)
Two additional pair of thicker Merino Socks
Bottom Row:
Survival Solutions OPSEC Poncho in GGG pouch.
Water Filtration/Hydration Kit
Hand Warmers
Fire Kit
Carmex
Ear Plugs
2 x 25ft hanks of paracord
Med Kit/IFAK
Antibacterial Wipes
Dental Hygiene Kit
Chemlight
Matches
Gorilla Tape 1" x 25yds I think
Misc. Kit - Tweezers, nail clippers, Emergen-C, Chai and Green Tea
Snacks - Payday, granola bars, etc,.
Tera Cookset with Optimus Crux Stove
Pistol Cleaning Kit
3 x Mountain House
8oz Beef Jerky
Alpen BAK4 Monocular
Morakniv
Gerber Diesel Multi-tool to be replaced SOON!

Top Row:
Instapark Mercury 10 and external battery
Level 6 goretex top and bottom
4 x CR123
4 x AA
Surefire M1
PVS-14
Skullcrusher - also to be replaced with better option
Baofeng UV-5R

Expanded kit view:
2 x 1L Platypus - compatible with Sawyer
1 x 1L Sawyer soft bottle
Platypus hydration tube
Cutoff water bottle for scooping water
Sawyer Squeeze (Might replace with a Mini)
4L Platypus Dirty Bladder
3L Platypus Clean
Misc. dirty and clean hoses
Instapark Mercury 10 Solar Panel + 4 cleaning wipes
Homemade Mountain House Warmer/padded case for PVS-14
PVS-14 + J-Arm
Surefire M1
Tenergy 8000mah battery + cable

Tera Solo Cook Set
Primus 250g fuel
Optimus Crux Lite Stove
Mini Bic
Fire Kit Contents: Waterproof matches + striking pad, 3 x Wetfire, Ferro Rod, and petroleum jelly impregnated cotton balls in contact lens case.

Med Kit/IFAK:
4" IBD
Quikclot Combat Gauze
Misc./Boo boo kit
SAM Splint
Mini Shears

Boo boo kit includes everything from mole skin to antidiarrheal, ibuprofen, tape, gauze, pads, wipes, etc,.

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 pm 

I sure could use some help with my kit. Work in progress but household 6 has put out a frago saying the rooms must be cleaned up.

The bag shown below is my bag while my wifes bag is meant to cover the basics in case we are separated, but also compliment each other.

Another note, I plan to buy some land in Kentucky. Nothing off grid or anything, but it will have some self-sustainable living conditions. When everything is in order, I plan to finish the load plan of my Vehicle which is meant to get us to the land in Kentucky, as we will not live there until retirement, SHTF, or the twice a year get-away. Therefore, the vehicle will have 20 gals of fuel (using a tow hitch carrier so that fuel is outside), 20 gallons of water, 2-4 weeks worth of food, clothes, tools, better shelter, and a comprehensive first aid bag (similar to Paragons, luckily my wife is an ICU nurse, and I have some medical training from the military). The bug out bags will also go into the vehicle, but should cover the basics in case dismount is necessary. Basically, my bug out plan is to get me to Kentucky or be versatile enough to adapt to multiple situations.

My bag (Top down, left to right)
Eberlestock V69 Destroyer Bag
Walther P99 AS .40S&W
E-tool
Jet Boil
2 x 2liter Platypus filled water
MSR Water filter
3 x 1200 Cal Mayday bars
ACU Sleeping bag with patrol bag
Blow up sleeping mat
550 Cord
SOG Pup Knife
Vitamin C (used for supplement and making iodine treated water taste better)
Iodine (used for cleaning wounds and/or water treatment)
9 x Cliff bars (240 Cal each)
9 Honey Peanut Butter (190 Cal Each)
Modified IFAK
Ranger Beads (pace counter)
Map of Maryland area (need to add maps between Me and Kentucky)
Compass
9mm & 5.56 Cleaning Kit (need to make sure that .300 blackout and .40 cal is in this kit)
Gerber Multi Tool
Solar Panel AA & USB Battery Charger (I would be a fool to not utilize cell towers if it was still working)
AA Rechargeable Batteries (Pre-Charged out of the box)
Signal Mirror (inside Solar Bat Charger)
2 x Chem Lights
Yaesu FT-60r (have AA battery pack)
Multi Eat Tool
Strike Tool
Strike Anywhere Matches
Flash Light (Uses a single AA Battery)
Dried Cranberrys (I can't believe they expire this year)
Light Rain jackets and Rain Pants
Bic lighter (not in pic, was on desk)
Multi-Cam Poncho (underneath)
I also forgot the collapsible water bucket that was stuck inside the bag.

Modified IFAK upside down :(

Things this kit is missing:
I would like a better stove option, preferably alcohol base, or even as a second option. I have a bottle of Smirnoff which I think is great for disinfectant (both wounds and water), trade, fuel for fire, or even to just help relax from a stressful situation.
Probably another fuel can for the jet boil along with some Mountain Series food options since I probably wont eat those maydays.
Hygiene Kit
More clothes, specifically socks. Socks need to be replaced once a day. In Zip lock bags. Problem is everytime I buy boot socks for the bag, I end up using them for my daily clothes. But I'll buy some more and won't do that.
Petroleum Jelly Cotton Balls as that would help get a fire started
More Ammo
Smoke Grenade because I want one!... no seriously, I see multiuses here, especially if I'm resorting to backpack due to floods and aerial evac is an option... or other uses.
Eye Pro (because I can't find the pair I bought before my last TDY trip)
5hr energy or coffee grounds... maybe
Maps between my current area and my destination as well as the destination of a secondary plan)
Will look into life straw
Gloves

Originally, my clothes were Multi Cam and my pack was straight out of my military gear... I then realized I would rather look like a contractor than a Soldier, so I went with Columbia style gear and got the Eblerstock pack, where as my wife's is a Gregory pack. I have two Multi-Cam sets (since that was the orginal plan) which are now just part of the bags (instead of initially wearing them).

I also can't add too much without starting to take away. The bag shown is currently 40lbs on the dot. I don't want to go over that.

Any help greatly appreciated. I will listen to all feedback and will post a more comprehensive list when the several kits are in order.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:40 pm 

Heres My take on a multi tiered Bugout/survival kit
https://youtu.be/amYZCwE_ssU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:10 pm 

Just Posted my INCH Bag-
Enjoy
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=116615

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:57 am 

I just posted mine here: https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=116627

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:15 pm 

This is a nice set up, its a lot like my current set up I use for backpacking. I haven't been able to post my latest set up. My current set up is the result of several backpacking trips. I would like to say I have spotted one redundancy that I have learned while backpacking and you could save some weight and money. I used the canister stove, they are cool. As far as weight goes and usability they are not cool. Get an alcohol stove. They are great and very easy to get fuel for while trekking. I can refuel my simple alcohol stove at any convenient store, its far lighter and bomb proof. The solar charger may be OK for a bugout, I have one and I'm up in the air on bringing it backpacking, a back up lith-ion charger will keep my stuff working until I get near a power supply. For a bugout depending on conditions it could be a must have.
quote="Dragon80"]Here's my BOB/Backpacking kit as it currently stands, with small changes pending.

Top Row:
SOL Escape Bivvy - In case I need quick warmth, or I need to get below 20 degrees F.
Bottom Row:
Hand Warmers
Fire Kit
Carmex
Ear Plugs
Med Kit/IFAK
Antibacterial Wipes
Dental Hygiene Kit
Chemlight
Matches
Pistol Cleaning Kit
3 x Mountain House
8oz Beef Jerky
Alpen BAK4 Monocular
Morakniv

Top Row:
4 x CR123
4 x AA
Surefire M1
PVS-14
Baofeng UV-5R

Expanded kit view:
Platypus hydration tube
3L Platypus Clean
PVS-14 + J-Arm
Surefire M1

Tera Solo Cook Set
Primus 250g fuel
Optimus Crux Lite Stove
Mini Bic
Fire Kit Contents: Waterproof matches + striking pad, 3 x Wetfire, Ferro Rod, and petroleum jelly impregnated cotton balls in contact lens case.

Med Kit/IFAK:
4" IBD
Quikclot Combat Gauze
Misc./Boo boo kit
SAM Splint
Mini Shears

Boo boo kit includes everything from mole skin to antidiarrheal, ibuprofen, tape, gauze, pads, wipes, etc,.

Image[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:45 pm 

My advice: Go test it. If you want a real good experience testing it go to amicalola falls in Georgia
Start at the southern terminus trail, backpack north until you get to Blood mountain, go to the bottom of this mountain. There is a place there called the walasi yi center (I think that's what its called) Go in that store.
I think you will have gone 30+ miles at this point. If your going to quit, throw your shoes in the tree and sell your gear to the center. You need a new hobby (just kidding but a lot of people quit there). If not, keep going. It sounds like crazy advice, but your designing a bag for very harsh times. The trek I have described is difficult, in the store at the center you can weigh your gear and trade stuff for better stuff. you can also resupply on food, and there are cabins down the road with kitchens and showers you can stay in cheap. Shuttles can transport you back to amicalola from there if you quit there. Otherwise take your pack (hopefully improved at the center after a rigorous test) and move out from a rest at the cabins. Try to make it to Hiawassi and that's a good bit of backpacking, you should then have a pack full of gear you can count on. If you cant perform a trek like this, I suggest bugging "in" in a situation. The Walasi yi center is a great place to get gear, have gear repaired, and rest and talk to people. They have the lightest and strongest stuff, and they see all kinds of muddy tired hungry backpackers so they have tons of knowledge about the sport.
That's the best advice I can give you to develop your kit, and your confidence. other than loose those emergency rations those things are horrible and horrible. If you want the best food to carry on your back? its easy, just take the total calories and divide that by the weight of the total package its in. For example Knor pasta sides alfredo has 480 calories total, 240 calories per serving. 2 servings per pack, pack weighs 4.4 OZs that's about 109 calories per ounce. That's good, a single serving dannon yogert has 80 calories but weighs 6 ozs that's 13 calories per oz. Not good. You want to check out food that keeps for a while that gives you at least 100 calories per ounce. Some ultra light backpackers state it should be 130 calories per ounce, but those people don't seem to care about taste.
Knowing this rule of thumb however will keep food that is too heavy off your back.

lamontjb wrote:
I sure could use some help with my kit. Work in progress but household 6 has put out a frago saying the rooms must be cleaned up.

The bag shown below is my bag while my wifes bag is meant to cover the basics in case we are separated, but also compliment each other.

Another note, I plan to buy some land in Kentucky. Nothing off grid or anything, but it will have some self-sustainable living conditions. When everything is in order, I plan to finish the load plan of my Vehicle which is meant to get us to the land in Kentucky, as we will not live there until retirement, SHTF, or the twice a year get-away. Therefore, the vehicle will have 20 gals of fuel (using a tow hitch carrier so that fuel is outside), 20 gallons of water, 2-4 weeks worth of food, clothes, tools, better shelter, and a comprehensive first aid bag (similar to Paragons, luckily my wife is an ICU nurse, and I have some medical training from the military). The bug out bags will also go into the vehicle, but should cover the basics in case dismount is necessary. Basically, my bug out plan is to get me to Kentucky or be versatile enough to adapt to multiple situations.

My bag (Top down, left to right)
Eberlestock V69 Destroyer Bag
Walther P99 AS .40S&W
E-tool
Jet Boil
2 x 2liter Platypus filled water
MSR Water filter
3 x 1200 Cal Mayday bars
ACU Sleeping bag with patrol bag
Blow up sleeping mat
550 Cord
SOG Pup Knife
Vitamin C (used for supplement and making iodine treated water taste better)
Iodine (used for cleaning wounds and/or water treatment)
9 x Cliff bars (240 Cal each)
9 Honey Peanut Butter (190 Cal Each)
Modified IFAK
Ranger Beads (pace counter)
Map of Maryland area (need to add maps between Me and Kentucky)
Compass
9mm & 5.56 Cleaning Kit (need to make sure that .300 blackout and .40 cal is in this kit)
Gerber Multi Tool
Solar Panel AA & USB Battery Charger (I would be a fool to not utilize cell towers if it was still working)
AA Rechargeable Batteries (Pre-Charged out of the box)
Signal Mirror (inside Solar Bat Charger)
2 x Chem Lights
Yaesu FT-60r (have AA battery pack)
Multi Eat Tool
Strike Tool
Strike Anywhere Matches
Flash Light (Uses a single AA Battery)
Dried Cranberrys (I can't believe they expire this year)
Light Rain jackets and Rain Pants
Bic lighter (not in pic, was on desk)
Multi-Cam Poncho (underneath)
I also forgot the collapsible water bucket that was stuck inside the bag.

Modified IFAK upside down :(

Things this kit is missing:
I would like a better stove option, preferably alcohol base, or even as a second option. I have a bottle of Smirnoff which I think is great for disinfectant (both wounds and water), trade, fuel for fire, or even to just help relax from a stressful situation.
Probably another fuel can for the jet boil along with some Mountain Series food options since I probably wont eat those maydays.
Hygiene Kit
More clothes, specifically socks. Socks need to be replaced once a day. In Zip lock bags. Problem is everytime I buy boot socks for the bag, I end up using them for my daily clothes. But I'll buy some more and won't do that.
Petroleum Jelly Cotton Balls as that would help get a fire started
More Ammo
Smoke Grenade because I want one!... no seriously, I see multiuses here, especially if I'm resorting to backpack due to floods and aerial evac is an option... or other uses.
Eye Pro (because I can't find the pair I bought before my last TDY trip)
5hr energy or coffee grounds... maybe
Maps between my current area and my destination as well as the destination of a secondary plan)
Will look into life straw
Gloves

Originally, my clothes were Multi Cam and my pack was straight out of my military gear... I then realized I would rather look like a contractor than a Soldier, so I went with Columbia style gear and got the Eblerstock pack, where as my wife's is a Gregory pack. I have two Multi-Cam sets (since that was the orginal plan) which are now just part of the bags (instead of initially wearing them).

I also can't add too much without starting to take away. The bag shown is currently 40lbs on the dot. I don't want to go over that.

Any help greatly appreciated. I will listen to all feedback and will post a more comprehensive list when the several kits are in order.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:49 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:53 am 

Wow nice setup! I gotta ask, how do you like the Snugpak Ionosphere? I'm in the market for a good single person tent and that is one of my options.

Dragon80 wrote:
Here's my BOB/Backpacking kit as it currently stands, with small changes pending.

Top Row:
Bottom Row:
Hand Warmers
Fire Kit
Carmex
Ear Plugs
Med Kit/IFAK
Antibacterial Wipes
Dental Hygiene Kit
Chemlight
Matches
Pistol Cleaning Kit
3 x Mountain House
8oz Beef Jerky
Alpen BAK4 Monocular
Morakniv

Top Row:
4 x CR123
4 x AA
Surefire M1
PVS-14
Baofeng UV-5R

Expanded kit view:
Platypus hydration tube
3L Platypus Clean
PVS-14 + J-Arm
Surefire M1

Tera Solo Cook Set
Primus 250g fuel
Optimus Crux Lite Stove
Mini Bic

Med Kit/IFAK:
4" IBD
Quikclot Combat Gauze
Misc./Boo boo kit
SAM Splint
Mini Shears

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 pm 

OMark wrote:
Wow nice setup! I gotta ask, how do you like the Snugpak Ionosphere? I'm in the market for a good single person tent and that is one of my options.

Thanks, a lot has changed since then actually. It's a great 1 man tent for the size and weight. I just threw it on the scale in complete form, no weight shedding, meaning all the stakes, patch kit, stuff sack, and it was 47 ounces. You can shed quite a bit from that making it a very manageable weight. The interior size is amazing but awkward. I am 6'3" so I can't sit up in it which I dislike, but I can bring my pack into the tent with me and use it for a pillow and my feet don't touch the bottom of the inner tent wall. It has held up very well over nearly 3.5 years that I've owned it and I would replace it if something happened to it without a doubt.

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:20 pm 

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a new Canadian Forces Style (until 2009 when they went to a modular vest system) tac vest. This tac vest is my medium duty vest (I have a heavier modular vest and some lighter webbed gear) and would be used on it's own for day forays outside of the BOL, into the wilderness, etc. Would also be worn in conjunction with a ruck sack for bug out purposes. It is intended to hold enough basic gear to survive roughly for a period of time.

Canteen pouch contains a standard NATO canteen and heatable cup.

Small Pouch 1 contents: Water purification tabs, small sewing kit, spare batteries, cell phone recharger, wind/rain proof matches.

Grenade Pouch 1 contents: Engineers compass, 6x tight packed cloths

2AA Cell Mag flashlight in pouch on side of mag pouch.

4x Mag pouches can hold AR-15 or M14 mags or other ammo in boxes. Can hold CZ-858 or Type 81 mags but cannot be closed with them inside.

Grenade Pouch 2 contents: camp soap, bug spray, insect bite wipes, hand sanitizer, chap-stick.

Gear Pouch 1 contents: toilet paper, space blanket sleeping bag, fishing kit, fire starter kit, magnesium fire starter, Flit fire starter, small saw, waterproof matches, backup compass, Signal mirror.

2 knives on bayonet scabbard over zipper

Gear pouch 2 contents: Hexamine stove, stove tablets, survival candle hand warmers, compact pocket knife, survival whistle, compact fishing kit, pocketshot slingshot, spare pocketshot "rubbers", package of steel shot.

Small Pouch 2 contents: 4x Cliff Bars high energy food.

First Aid Pouch contents: Adventure Medical Kit 2.0 (1-4 people) augmented with an Emergency Medical Kit Quick-Clot Trauma kit and space Quick Clot Sponge, 6x glow sticks.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14