Request: Post Your Bug Out Bags

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

XTimeBombX
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Romero Movies, Dead Alive, Dawn of the Dead remake, City of Rott, Shaun of the dead, The Resident Evil movies, Evil Dead movies.

Re: Request: Post Your Bug Out Bags

Post by XTimeBombX » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:22 pm

What the hell is a meteor hammer?

Um, those franklin knee pads are for volleyball, not being tacticool. And 2 walther p22's = good shotgun and ammo you could have bought instead. If they are even real.

So, this place your bugging out to, is it night time all day? Cause there is too much black gear, and then there is TOO MUCH BLACK GEAR. Anywhere you go, your going to stick out like Ronald McDonald in a brothel.

You are missing one key item that I am surprised nobody else caught.....phonecord. A survival ninjas best, and most used weapon.

seriously dude, WTF?
At least he's got some grey pants in the bag.lol

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:28 am

Repost from Kyles thread

First post comments welcome:

OK read rest of thread and rude not to do images - sorry.

BDU and armour.

Flecktarn combat field trousers

Cargo pockets (Right)
2x field dressing
1x clot dressing
1x burn dressing
1x strong painkiller in small ziplock with tape pull
3 x soup sachets in ziplock.

Cargo pockets (left)
1x spare socks in zip lock
1 x survival tin
Emergency mess tin as signal mirror with
whistle,
sewing kit,
snare wire
fish line kit,
water purifier,
blade,
flint and striker,
waterproof matches,
candle,
button compass,
wire saw,
sugar

The BDU pockets are balanced and the 1 pair of socks, survival tin and field dressings are comfortable in the cargos. They are not full. Waist bdu pockets are empty

Flecktarn field shirt

The shoulder pocket on the bdu shirt
1 x waterproof pen and pad

Neck or off webbing on right
Whistle is on a lanyard with the carabineerer compass and pace beads.

Breast pockets on the BDU shirt
1 x space blanket

Body armour

Double 2 ( 2 x15 layers aramid) inserts on neck and shoulder, 3 a inserts on front and back.

trauma pocket :
1 x small fighting Knife
glucose boiled sweets
Pack of beef jerky
1 X engineering compass
1x waterproof map small scale
1x tissues

Pack

bundeswehr lbe h harness 2x canteen pouch 2x entrenching tool pouch, small backpack

Top left canteen pouch

Powdered coffee
Sugar
Salt
Powdered soup mix
Powdered chocolate mix
Powdered beef mix
Electrolyte mix (glucose)
40 x multivitamins
paracetemol
Painkiller
Flu remedy sachets
diarrhea/laxative/nausea pills
Antibiotics
Sachet hot blackberry vitamins

I store this in a small stack system that screws together.

Thermal veil( wrapped around continer)

Top right canteen pouch

1x Olive Shemagh (towel, scarf - brilliant)
1x Flectarn sniper veil (hide veil)
1x Spoon

Centre

1x Lightweight camo three person dome tent & groundsheet
1x tube cover with attachments for lbe
2 x empty sandbags (spare load carrying capacity)
Spare bootlaces
Waterproof poncho stuffed in the top.

Entrenching tool pouch one (Left of pack on belt):

1xSmall Entrenching tool (collapsable pick,saw,spade, sharped spade edge)
1x PDA
ruggized pda
survival books,
personal account records etc,
gps,
gsm phone,
camera
ballisics software,
game, music,films
internet
2 x 2GB SD Cards
1x spare PDA battery &
1x small USB solar charger for PDA
1x Radio (wind up)
1x small headphone/mic
1x LED torch (wind up) (with low power single led mode)
1x Utility 14 function penknife in pouch
1x compact solar weather station

Lower Centre general Pack:
2xDehydrated noodle meals
Powdered pasta
Thinsulate gloves
Exterior gloves
Thinsulate balaclave (nothing worse than cold ears)
Paracord
Glow stick (emergency only)
Tinder kit
Zip lock bags
Zip cuffs
BW lid Canteen (lid holds small items primary mess tin)
2xpairs socks
First aid
Razor blade
scissor
Tweezers
alcohol wipes
suture
needle and thread
1 x ether pad
tourniquet
Respiration aid
Waterproof vetinary animal dressing
pins,safety pins
Milton tabs (water steraliser)
Phial hydrogen peroxide
etc

Last entrenching tool pouch lower right:
small seceteurs
Esbit and 30 Tabs
6 broad heads disassemled in 2 mini tubes
1xbowstring
Broadheads and string
screw in hooks
8 woodscrews
10 nails
3 x candles
camo waterproof tape
black insulating tape
tissues
Small pot shoe waterproof wax
3xSachets waterproofed glue (silicon)
2 Small nail/shoe brushes (1 hard one soft)
1 folding toothbrush
Small pot powdered toothpaste
1 bar odourless soap
2x lighters

Lightweight thermal camo sleeping bag &cover with attachment for lbe
1 set mountaineering long johns
1 set socks
Thermal sleep mat in waterproof cover
4x binbags

1 pair broken in boots

Normally a ruck cover on the back pack.

1x 20-60 x 80 spotting scope
has a baggie that clips to the lower center sack on the lbe.

Firearms

cleaning kit +oil bottle (pull through shotgun nylon, 22 pull through,brush,
multitool (allen keys, slot and philips head wirecutter pliers),s travel toothbrush in oil

.22LR 200 subsonic 200 hv
5 x button batteries
waterproof ballistics chart
light waterproof nylon gun cover

moa 10-40 x 50 1/8 MOA scope
1 x 1.5-7 30 mm tube slug scope /.22 red dot
Quick detach rings

2 compartment Flecktarn sling bag
Dragbag/long shoulder holster for shotgun

22lr semi
1x still no 5 silencer
Sling
2 x magazines
Compact removable iron sight

12 gage semi
QD flip up rear slug site
Receiver scope mount
1 x slug choke and key 60 rounds
Bandoleer sling

No Rucksack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want a nice light gortex set for it.

No Rucksack

Mixed load on back of lbe covered with ruck cover. One weapon system or the other choice because of weight. It’s a surprisingly light and comfortable setup due to the way the amour spreads the load. I don't use a bipod and prefer a sock.

Discomfort sucks and so does weight, this works for me and is reasonably light even with the tent. veterinary bandage and ether and very useful and very small and light things to have as is electrolyte powder.

I would not normally carry weapons with all this gear. The two combinations above I used to use when I was rough shooting and have about in good order. Silencers are legal and no big deal here.

Its designed for a large terrain I know well (wells etc). It's a game rich area (small dear, pheasants, rabbits and has a nice mic of pine and deciduous with heavy hedgerows dividing small pasture fields. Climate is not extreme. Very light rig that gets you a nice cosy and dry sleep with a full and warm belly with what you need to hunt and look after yourself and the gear so it lasts.

The kit has all been waterproofed.

The LBE is rubber lined pouches.

I hate and despise carrying heavy packs or being cold, hungry sick or uncomfortable.. It sucks your stamina and brainpower. I've used mixes of this kit for camping and hunting or photography from blinds, sometimes just a bag for shells. It's great because even if it get's covered in s**t it can be washed up, it can be stitched fixed. It's hard to cross ditches and streams (especially if there is old wire fencing around) on your own wearing anything heavier and walking in long grass with a heavy load is a killer on the legs. A kit to fix and clean your kit and boots is essential. So is kit to make a hide and hunt.

I had the misfortune to break and partially sever a finger once while out and trust me that the ability to knock back a painkiller, clean and the magic of vet tape means a lot when you need it.

Guns are heavy awkward things when you've gone any distance. The problem with centerfire is that it is going to make a mess of most small game if you want to eat it and signal to anyone within miles there is someone in hunting. Believe it or not most landowners don't want you in poaching and will react. I would be very unhappy with anyone I caught with a semi auto centerfire shooting my game.....

A lot of recent lbe/lbv are designed to move kit from the back so that vehicle travel and dismount is more practical. Similarly a lot of modern military kit is designed for rapid resupply or extraction and not staying put. The heavy ruck and piles of mags on the front will stop you cold getting over a ditch. You can't crawl or shoot prone with it. A lot is adapted for modern military operational needs but it is diverged from practically for a individual bug out situation. Unless you are in a try zone why carry so much water? MREs are great but if you are burning that much energy and food without resupply you are in trouble - we are not soldiers there is no logistic corps and lying still and slow walking is the reality of hunting - not humping 50kgs.

Finally here is an interesting and pertinent article on the infantry combat load :

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 85/IDC.htm

Footnotes:

All lbe gear latches that are not for immediate use should be taped to ensure they don't ever spill (think getting under wire fence), through brambles etc. Clothing and gear should be waterproofed (wash and spray treat).

You will get wet and uncomfortable. Count on it and make sure you can setup and get dry quickly.

Eats
Powdered Pasta, 'smash' potato mix, high proten beef powder, sachet soup, granulted coffee, powdered soup,cold remedy, powdered vitamin drinks, teabags (save till last becuase you can dry and reuse them), sugar, salt and noodles are all good. Remove from packaging and air seal (space and bulk are bad). Clingfilm and zip lock it. I use a stackable compartment tower to hold grub.

Stackable screw together compartment store, beef powder, tea, coffee, drugs, potato powder, salt etc

Bottom compartment - brew kit (coffee,tea,sugar packets wrapped in clingfilm)

In reality you only need 1 hot meal and some hot drink boosters a day if you are set in. If you can't get game by day 3 you have a problem, day 5 and it's really serious. If you are moving and doing heavy work you will need two hot meals a day. Kit to make a coffee/tea/etc and an Esbit stove are vital.

Always take gear not included, two squashed flat plastic drink bottles and a squashed flat plastic tub, light waterproof head/neck cover(I have an old russian bdu cloth, take your pick).

Extras
flask of brandy and tin of rough tobacco with small pipe,
shaving razor,
Girlfriend with a coat and a change of clothes 2x above food and a nice ass.

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Nice kit and level of detail. Although I'm not sure I know what's "best" for how one's pack and LBE are arranged, it does seem that you have optimized yours for a specific setting, and that takes a lot of thought and care.
What's the total, walking-out-the-door weight for all this?
Based upon the setting/scenario you're anticipating, is the armour worth the weight?

Carrying just a few broadheads and string makes lots of sense to me. I don't know anything about archery, but that seems like a simple, light, dense bit of contingency kit. Makes at least as much sense as the fishing gear in survival kits carried in the suburbs. I also admire the inclusion of a little glue - I keep forgetting to do that myself.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

mostlyharmless

Post by mostlyharmless » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:59 pm

The armour acts to make the LBE comfortable. If I did not have it I would have to buy pads. In addition I find it warm and comfortable....

I had some bad run ins with very nasty folk with 22s and shotguns many many years ago. A lot of eye contact and fear on both sides but thank God they were not stupid enough to start shooting. Another man in the locality was found dead after being hit several times in the back with a 22 though.

The worry is not some sort of stand up gunfight but some scumbag hittiing me in the back. I suppose in the 'it all gone to sh*t' scenario it would be extremely comforting indeed, it costs very little these days. MY general instinct is to just quietly avoid people and not be seen though.

In general though even if the armour was bullet transparent I would want a similar heavy windproof body warmer. Your torso needs to be kept warm or your body will start shuting down. Because the panels are sealed up in their waterproofing inside even when it get's soaked it does not increase in weight.

The broadheads are there for a couple of reasons:

1)Lots of small sharp blades/spearpoints
2)Trapping (Y stick spear trap)
3)Improvised archery
4)They are tiny and incredibly light.
In reality the range of an unseasoned cut staff bow is short (10-15M) and not accurate enough for small game. MAYBE (big maybe) it would be possible to take a small deer if you were very lucky. The bow will have a useful life of maybe a day though, not much more. Not sure that I'd like to get hit with one though.....

I've never had much luck with fishing but I don't have coast or big water. I guess leaving a line on a float and checking it along with snares/traps is a valid survial ploy, I've always though if I was desperate the hooks would be better spent getting birds, a vicious and old poachers trick.

I just like archery and enjoy improvised bows - never tried hunting with one.

A light net would be more practical (rabbiting, birds) ----must pick a pocketable one up.

Just to mix the two topics a broadhead with the blades off fwent through a level 2 vest that stops a .22LR (from a 28LB recurve...)...

The gear including BDU is about 35 pounds (at a guess).

I'm lucky, I don't have snakes, bears or extreme weather. I have wet and cold winds at most.

Your kit has to be for a particular terrain/climate. Otherwise you need a 4x4 packed and a support team.....

I don't think I've ever weighed it, its light enough to allow me to move readily.

The generality I would apply to any mix of kit for any terrain is to keep it light and tight, strip packaging, pack it tight and avoid over duplication of function except for compass, firelighting, etc and then just keep it to some basic first line backups that can cover you if you loose your LBE/Ruck.

Glow sticks are cool but they are bulky. I have one for signaling and incase of injury in the dark.

I can't see any reason that what's needed to make a cup of tea and an esbit should not be in a 'bug out bag'. That's universal (and cheap)! Most of the rest is to though. Space blankets, food, map compass, sleeping bag, small fm radio, cleaning kit, pocket knife. A warm drink is a must for me though. You could drop most of this into a carry all and it would be a big help if you were power out in a city for a week and relocated.
Esbit stove from the manufacturers site http://www.esbit.de/index.php?id=78

The metal sides fold down. The fuel tabets are hexamine. To light one easily enure air is good shave some off and light the shavings like kindling. It boils of water in in good time and the fuel tabs pack very small. Some folks call it a hexi or by the brand esbit, You could knock up your own burner with a few nails or a used can but the stove is an indestructable and wonderful piece of design. All you need for hot drinks, wash water and rehydrating eats. Extra hex habs are small and compact and taped and filmed into stacks take up very little space.

The silicon glue is great because if you need to stitch something you an waterproof it. The stuff is very useful.

Please don't experiment with trapping animals or game. Get someone who knows to show you how it is done (old boys are a mine of information). Snares and survival traps are a cruel way to do in an animal and only something for when you are desperate. Always check snares and don't leave snares or traps up if you are going to go - please :)

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Summer is here and that means nice weather and spending time outdoors. Our daytime temperatures will routinely hit the 100s (F) and dip into the 50s (F) at night depending on elevation. So the big threat is dehydration during the day and exposure at night.

Since the EDC bag and first aid kits have been gone through and tweaked, it was time to tackle the survival kits. I suffer from kit-making syndrome so there are too many bags, packs, kits, and related gear sitting around wasting space. I wanted to break those down and come up with something lightweight and waterproof. The goal was for it to be thrown into a day pack for a quick hike or trip while having the basics covered. It would supplement or take the place of the small survival kit in my EDC Pack Rat and leave lots of room (and weight) for water in the pack. Everything shown here fits into a Sea to Summit dry bag and weighs in at exactly 1.0 lbs. (453g) on the scale. Contents from L to R:

Petzl e+LITE Headlamp
LMF Scout Firesteel
REI Matches
Paracord (550#)
Micropur MP1 Tablets
Frontier Filter Straw
Silva Type III Compass
AMK Rescue Flash Mirror
Fox 40 Whistle
BiC Mini Lighter
WetFire Tinder
Spare CR2032 Batteries
AMK Bivvy
Snow Peak Ti 300 Mug

The contents are aimed at having clean water to drink, warmth & shelter, and signaling for rescue. There is no knife or multi-tool in the kit -- this is because I will have at least one of these on my person at all times as well as one in the pack. First aid is covered by a modified AMK Ultralight FAK. Any comments or thoughts welcome...

frogger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by frogger » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:23 pm

I just finished re-vamping my bag. It is still a work in progress. The big things I'd like to add are some more cash and a firearm, but those will have to wait until I can afford to do it.

All stored in a medium sized backpack

Front Bottom Pocket

1 Pull Over Fleece Jacket

Front Top Pocket

1 Crank Powered Splashproof Radio and Light
1 Black Sharpie
1 Silver Sharpie
1 Black Ball Point Pen
3 Snack Size Zip-Loc Bags
3 Sandwich Size Zip-Loc Bags
3 Quart Size zip-Loc Bags
3 Gallon Size Zip-Loc Bags
2 Tall Kitchen Garbage Bags

Middle Top Pocket

1 Front Pocket Wallet containing...
- $10 Pre-Paid AT&T Phone Card
- Xerox copy of NC CHL, NC DL, Vehicle Registration Card, Vehicle Insurance Card, Social Security Card & Health Insurance Card
- $20 Cash (10 $1's & 2 $5's)

1 Pair Spare Eye Glasses
1 Wide Brim Hat
6 Servings of Protein Powder
16 0.28 oz. Slim Jims
1 Bottle of Rem Oil
1 Deck of Playing Cards

Right Side Pocket

2 20oz. bottles of Purified Water

Left Side Pocket

2 20oz. bottles of Purified Water

Main Compartment

1 Pair of Sneakers
2 Pair of clean, dry underwear
2 Pair of clean, dry athletic socks
1 Roll of Toilet Paper
1 Fixed Blade Benchmade Griptilian Knife in Sheath
1 Qt. Size Canteen (empty)

1 Clear Toiletry Bag containing...
- 1 Comb
- 1 Travel Pack of Plackers (Floss/Toothpick)
- 5 Oral-B Brush-Ups
- 12 Zeiss Lens Cloths
- 1 Travel Size 30 SPF Sunscreen
- 1 Tube of Burt's Bees Lip Balm
- 1 Emergency Survival Blanket
- 1 Signaling Mirror
- 1 Travel Size Insect Repellent
- 1 Travel Size Gold Bond
- 1 Travel Size Pack of Q-tips
- 1 Travel Pack of Antibacterial Wet-Ones
- 1 Pair of Nail Clippers
- 1 Tin of Caffeinated Mints

1 Clear Toiletry Bag containing...
- 1 Small Pack of Coffee Filters
- Assorted Sizes of Cable Ties
- 100 feet of 550 Para cord
- 6 pack of 6 Hour Foot Warmers
- 1 Water Resistant "Stuff" Bag
- 2 Emergency Rain Ponchos
- 4 pack of Bic Mini Lighters
- 1 2AA LED Mini-Maglite w/ Holster
- 4 pack of AA Batteries
- 1 Gerber Multi-Tool
- 1 Knife Sharpener
- 1 Compass
- 1 5-in-1 Survival Tool (Emergency Whistle, Compass, Cord, Mirror & Matches)
- $8.85 in loose change
- 1 Bottle of Water Purification Tablets
- 1 Camp Towel

1 Small Clear Toiletry Bag (First Aid Kit) containing...
- 1 Johnson & Johnson First Aid Guide
- 12 Johnson & Johnson Antiseptic Wipes
- 1 Neosporin Neo-To-Go
- 1 Waterproof Container of Motrin & Tylenol
- 1 Snake Bite Kit
- 1 Roll of Sterile Gauze
- 1 Roll of Surgical Tape
- 1 Pack of assorted sized Band-Aids
- 3 Packs of First Aid Burn Cream
- 1 Pair of Surgical Gloves
- 1 Pair of Surgical Scissors
- 1 Pair of Tweezers

1 File Folder containing...
- 1 copy of the Survival, Evasion and Recovery Manual
- 1 Steno Pad
- 1 Rand McNally Pocket Size Road Atlas
- 1 Rand McNally Laminated NC Map
- 1 Pack of Note Cards
- 1 Gel Pen
••••••••••••••••••••
"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

scarymonkey
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days

Post by scarymonkey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:25 am

Front Top Pocket

1 Crank Powered Splashproof Radio and Light
1 Black Sharpie
1 Silver Sharpie
1 Black Ball Point Pen
3 Snack Size Zip-Loc Bags
3 Sandwich Size Zip-Loc Bags
3 Quart Size zip-Loc Bags
3 Gallon Size Zip-Loc Bags
2 Tall Kitchen Garbage Bags

Whats a sharpie,excuse my ignorance,but I live in Ozz and dont have a clue what that is....
Prepare for the worst and dare the good Lord to dissapoint you.

Flex
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later FTW

Post by Flex » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 am

scarymonkey wrote:Whats a sharpie,excuse my ignorance,but I live in Ozz and dont have a clue what that is....
Permanent marker best used for drawing on roommates whilst they are in a drunken stupor.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erat, tum soli proscript catapultas habeunt.

scarymonkey

Post by scarymonkey » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 pm

ok thanks,,the common name in Ozz is "texta",,texta colour was a brand name back in the 60's and its commonly used for all marker type pens.

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:43 pm

New guy here! I'm gonna like this place. I like to keep my bag lean. More about minimal survival than comfort. This could keep me going for 72 hours to a week most places...

livehistory_alnc

Post by livehistory_alnc » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:04 pm

scarymonkey

Post by scarymonkey » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi live history.....dont those cans of food get a bit heavy ????

HowItEnds
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Land of The Dead.

Post by HowItEnds » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:07 pm

I've covered all the basics, now it's time to start considering entertainment.

(seriously though, I'll have pics of my BOB when it's done... soon!)
Popcorn is BS
THIS IS HOW ROBOTS TYPE

TheDavid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombyland and Sean of the dead, the walking dead

Post by TheDavid » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:02 pm

HowItEnds wrote:Image

I've covered all the basics, now it's time to start considering entertainment.

(seriously though, I'll have pics of my BOB when it's done... soon!)
The phone cord is the entertainment
"Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state."
Thomas Jefferson

"When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Fenris wrote:Nah, the spinny thingy is a rip off of the Blade replica, made with folding blades like a lock-back, the object that looks like a black shovel w/ metal rings on the "handle" is a scabbard for the Blade Sword replica.

And for what its worth, more corrective critism: What does anyone expect to do with those little ninja throwing "nails"? TerryGecko, get some practice with the well made P22 you claim to own, and yet call a slingshot, a shotty, and more, wait, no... ALL the survival gear previously mentioned.

-fenris-
I expect nothing with those "nails" since they would be no where near me during a Bug Out Scenario. I will admit that I deserve every comment and joke you guys made on my behalf. After all, it was my fault. That post was meant for another zombie site I belong to. It is all on the same photobucket account and I got confused until I looked today.

I realize that Katana's are controversial but rest assure I won't be bringing the Blade Replica sword along.

EDIT:

Real pic of BOB.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Arch

Post by Arch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:52 pm

TerryGecko wrote:
Fenris wrote:Nah, the spinny thingy is a rip off of the Blade replica, made with folding blades like a lock-back, the object that looks like a black shovel w/ metal rings on the "handle" is a scabbard for the Blade Sword replica.

And for what its worth, more corrective critism: What does anyone expect to do with those little ninja throwing "nails"? TerryGecko, get some practice with the well made P22 you claim to own, and yet call a slingshot, a shotty, and more, wait, no... ALL the survival gear previously mentioned.

-fenris-
I expect nothing with those "nails" since they would be no where near me during a Bug Out Scenario. I will admit that I deserve every comment and joke you guys made on my behalf. After all, it was my fault. That post was meant for another zombie site I belong to. It is all on the same photobucket account and I got confused until I looked today.

I realize that Katana's are controversial but rest assure I won't be bringing the Blade Replica sword along.

EDIT:

Real pic of BOB.
Terry,

Much better than the last post :D

Remember the basics:

Fire - I see a lighter, but you should also consider adding a Swedish Fire Steel ($15)
Water - Nalgene bottles, USGI canteens, filter, purification tablets, canteen cup to boil water, etc.
Shelter - Plastic sheet, Poncho, tarp, etc.
FAK - start with basics and build a trauma kit.

Welcome back!
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:52 am

Arch wrote:
Terry,

Remember the basics:

Fire - I see a lighter, but you should also consider adding a Swedish Fire Steel ($15)
Water - Nalgene bottles, USGI canteens, filter, purification tablets, canteen cup to boil water, etc.

Welcome back!
It's funny. Those last pics were for another forum, making fun of people who would think to bring that useless stuff along.
Then I forgot I posted here because I signed up for a few forums at once. You guys must have thought I was incredibly stupid. I'm embarrassed really.

I realize my BOB needs a lot of work. I have been researching firearms so much and spent so much money on it, I forgot about the other stuff I need.

Working on getting a tarp and a tent for my 3 day BOB
I have waterproof matches but realize I need flint also
I have a Nalgene water bottle, as well as a bladder for my bag but I certainly need more.
A mess kit is something I will be getting soon as well.

Thanks for your help.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Arch

Post by Arch » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:01 am

TerryGecko wrote:
Arch wrote:
Terry,

Remember the basics:

Welcome back!
It's funny. Those last pics were for another forum, making fun of people who would think to bring that useless stuff along.
Then I forgot I posted here because I signed up for a few forums at once. You guys must have thought I was incredibly stupid. I'm embarrassed really.

I realize my BOB needs a lot of work. I have been researching firearms so much and spent so much money on it, I forgot about the other stuff I need.

Working on getting a tarp and a tent for my 3 day BOB
I have waterproof matches but realize I need flint also
I have a Nalgene water bottle, as well as a bladder for my bag but I certainly need more.
A mess kit is something I will be getting soon as well.

Thanks for your help.
Don't worry about the first post - you're doing right by us now 8) .

I completely understand about firearms - when I first started prepping 25 years ago....all I was really interested in was guns and military field gear. A couple of quality firearms is DEFINITELY where I'd start. I also recommend that people split their funds after they get the basic firearms needs covered:

Primary - preferably a semi-auto military inspired rifle but a shotgun will suffice if necessary
Secondary - quality / concealable handgun that is chambered in a "common" round (like your 9mm)
22 Rifle - cheap practice (especially important for someone new to firearms) and easy to stockpile ammo for (WalMart has 550 rounds for $15).

On a limited budget, its easy to continue with just firearms and accessories at this point...but once those three items above are covered (and a reasonable amount of ammunition and magazines are purchased) I always tell people to start investing in the "mundane" parts of self-reliance.

To me, First Aid is BORING, but all of the high-speed-low-drag gear in the world is useless if you get cut and bleed out on Day One. I have........fairly extensive..........prep's but my FAK-fu has always been lacking...so I'm focusing on that particular area.

Take a look at the EDC/GHB, BOB, and INCH links in my sig-line for ideas about the Mess Kit you mentioned. I prefer German 3-Pc aluminum kits. My wife and I use them in all of our kits and with our "recreational camping and hiking" gear. They are cheap, light, and strong. Of course, a USGI stainless steel canteen cup (nests on the bottom of a USGI 1 quart) is also invaluable.

Good luck,
Arch
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

TerryGecko

Post by TerryGecko » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:13 am

Damn you have great stuff. I've been looking for a vest like the one in that link for a while.

Thanks again for all your help.

My wife is a Pharm Student and she is going to be getting the first aid stuff together for her BOB. We've been putting it off for too long now. We're more prepared than most common people but you guys are light years ahead of us.

Here is some updated photo's.

I'm still missing food, tent, navigation (compass/maps/gps), sleeping bag, etc...

List goes as:
SOG Seal Pup knife
2 other fixed blade knives
1 Diamond Knife Sharpener
Rope
Saw Trimmer combo
Clothes
Gloves
Mask
Garbage bags
Flashlight
Multi Tool
Climbing rope with climbing carabiner
FNP 9mm
Paddle Holster
Magazine Holster
Wet Ones
8x10 Tarp
Razor, shaving cream, soap, deodorant
First Aid Kit
Notebook
Goody's Medicine
Lighters
Flint striker
Q tips
Small whittling kit
Candle

EDIT:

I just wanted to add a picture of my newest B.O.B. purchase.

I went to BassPro yesterday and found this Surefire light. It is the cheapest model they make, I'm sure, as it was only $38.99 but it is pretty damn bright. It feels very well put together. I also purchased the sheath for it (pictured below) and an extra set of batteries for $5.99. Overall, I'm happy that I bought it. I needed a nice flashlight.

Last edited by TerryGecko on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Violent Torpedo of Truth

Kimber_45

Post by Kimber_45 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 pm

That is the MOLLE Rifleman Ruck.

1EyedDeath wrote:My INCH/BOB bag..
Right now I'm packing for me and the wife..She will carry the food,and clothing..we were at the A/N store and had her find a pack she liked..She liked a cfp-90 I beleive it is..

quick run down on the major stuff
2 man pup tent
1 sleeping bag,big enough for the both of us
1 GI mess kit
1 soda can stove
compass and maglight on retractable lanyards..I drop stuff with gloves on..Too many stitches in fingers.. :?:
M9 bayonet,wrapped with kevlar rope..Secured to the molle with the belt clip and velcro..
2 adjustable hiking poles..need to lash them to the frame..
allot of other stuff in there

Rosco
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of the living dead (Punk running zombies), Night of the Comet, Red Neck Zombies, 28 weeks Later, Land of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead(both old and new), Day of the Dead (Old only), Night of the Living Dead (New more then old), Omega Man, Atomic Zombies (1950s b movie), Zombie Diaries (Hard to follow but decent), Shaun of the Dead,...I can go on for hours.

Post by Rosco » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:43 pm

I hate this time of year.
Time to switch from my warm season get me home bag,

To my winter season bag.
If I'm 30 to 40 miles away from home, this bag should get me back to my main gear.
Here are the contents
Moving left to right, top to bottom
-Poncho and Poncho liner
-Machete
-Small Canvas Ruck
-Iso-mat
-Knit hat and ski gloves
-Green long johns
-Gortex woodland camo coat
-Green Hoodie
-Black t-shirt
-Cargo Pants
-Extra Socks
-Snow Peak self lighting white gas stove
-Two canisters of gas
-Snow peak cook set w/ spork
-Hobo tool
-Lighter and matches
-Canned food (2000 cal.)
-Ramon Noodles (Tons of salt)
-Energy Bars (2000 cal)
-Hot Coco powder
-Toilet tissue
-nylon cord
-Flood Light w/ extra battery
-Foil (Space) blanket sleeping bag
-Simple first aid kit
-Quick clot
- Trauma sheers
-multi-tool
-Midland Radio w/ Hazard station
-Extra batteries
-Glock 17
-Two extra high cap mags
-Simple bandoleer holster (Not Shown)
-100 rounds of 9mm

I just hate cramming all this stuff into this little bag.
"Your not a crazy person when the shit really does hit the fan." -My old man.
"You know, for a pacifist...you sure are an A-Hole!"- An ex-Girl Friend.

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:25 pm

all the regulars. Theres a sleeping system, and some spare softgoods that arent pictured. The SAW pouch there, is filled with shotshells. The funny lookin pouch on the right hand side, houses my handgun, a light and a spare mag.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Kace,

What kind of pack is that? And do you have a list of items? Looks great BTW.
KaceCoyote wrote:Image

all the regulars. Theres a sleeping system, and some spare softgoods that arent pictured. The SAW pouch there, is filled with shotshells. The funny lookin pouch on the right hand side, houses my handgun, a light and a spare mag.

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:27 pm

Stormrider wrote:Kace,

What kind of pack is that? And do you have a list of items? Looks great BTW.
Pack is a Eberlestock Halftrack
Item list:
20 deg mummy bag, 2 man tent not pictured
1 full change of clothes not pictured

Bout 200ft of 550 cord
grappling hook
4 mountain house meals
1 Mountain house desert
25 clif bars(I got'em on sale so sue me)
MSR sweet water
Swedish stove kit, with its own fire making stuff and a folding spork
5 lighters
magnesium block with bird'n trout knife for kndling work
SOG powerlock multitool
Rat-3
CZ-P01 XTI procyon tactical light +1 mag
Map
instant coffee in the little tube there
FAK
blowout pouch on the outside
Light group, candle lantern(in the yellow case) with again its own lighter, snaplight and 2 spare candles
Big red/silver survival tarp/groundcloth/whatever
Shemagh
2 Nalgenes
Squishybowls
Poncho
compass(nother on my watch, nother on my sternum strap)
notebook, pen
toothbrush
colgate whisps
TP
solarcaine
soap!
Pipe
pipe TOBACCO
3 roadflares
Surefire G2 (same batteries as my XTI procyon)

Stuff to come: more batteries, maybe a machete or an axe I dunno, shotshells and shotgun. Still slowly working on my ham license, and then will rock a ham and a J-pole or something similar.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Return to “Bug Out Gear”