Who carries Trioxane?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

G.I. Jarhead

Re: Who carries Trioxane?

Post by G.I. Jarhead » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:09 am

I used to carry trioxane but I've since changed over to the Esbit fuel with the folding stove mostly out of convenience (one of my distributors sells the Esbit stuff). Any differences aside, they both serve the same purpose (easily portable solid fuel) and I'll use either as the situation and my supplies dictate.

Your boy's not an artist, he's a KILLER! Throw him in the back of your rented VW, drape him in 50 yard of multicam fabric, stick a rifle in his hands, and put him on Jeriah's team. They can talk art in between tactical reloads. - Dannus Maximus

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:18 am

Necrodamus wrote:Aluminum is most definately linked to the disease ...
The Alzheimer's Association seem to think otherwise.
http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_m ... eimers.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (myth 4)
http://www.alz.org/news_and_events_alzh ... 2-2005.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As do the Alzheimers Scoiety.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scrip ... umentID=99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:08 pm

Necrodamus wrote:I used to carry them. They are fine for camping, poor for survival. I have opened up my fire kit and found three empty foil packs because the foil had a pinhole and the entire bar had evaporated in less than 6 months.

This is good to know. 2 of the packs I picked up were totally empty and I didnt know why. I contacted the guy I bought them from and told him to keep an eye out for any other empties. I didnt know they evaporate. Thanks for the info.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

Soulless
28 Weeks Later
I Am Legend

Post by Soulless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:32 pm

I carry 12 Esbit tabs blister packed as a backup to methyl alcohol (Yellow HEET) for my Vargo Titanium Triad XE stove.

All in all, I think the above setup is pretty perfect for an individual's BOB. Not for luxury camping. Not for UL backpacking. Not for a large family or group. And not for cooking an entire meal.

Rather, it is fairly ideal for a pure bug out scenario for one or two people. It should work in almost any temperature and altitude encountered. The stove, windscreen, fuel bottle, and Esbit tabs combined weigh in at less than 28.5 ounces and cost less than $40. And since the stove can run on either alcohol or Esbit, one should be able to find inexpensive fuel literally anytime and anywhere: gas station, drug store, grocery store, hardware store, sporting goods store, etc.
"A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have...any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with."
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on BOBs

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:32 pm

I carry Trioxane.

Hooray for army surplus store sales. Sixty cents per box. Three bars per box. Many boxes in a bigger box. Don't treat the trioxane bar like a Fun Dip Lik Em Stick, or snort it up your nose, and you should be fine. Break the bar into thirds while its in its container, open container neatly on one end, peel back until you can drop a piece in place. I wouldn't waste a pair of gloves to handle trioxane. You should be able to start a fire with just a third of a stick. My two cents.

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:54 pm

^^^

WOW .60 cents for a box. I thought I got a good deal at $2.00 a box. Looks like your set for a while.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:27 pm

G.I. Jarhead wrote:I used to carry trioxane but I've since changed over to the Esbit fuel with the folding stove mostly out of convenience (one of my distributors sells the Esbit stuff). Any differences aside, they both serve the same purpose (easily portable solid fuel) and I'll use either as the situation and my supplies dictate.
The hexamine in the esbit tabs has a lot more heat potential than trioxane as well.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Do they burn as long as trioxane and what about flame height?
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

"Why bring more, when you can take Les"

E&E belt kit thread- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77171

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:17 pm

olaf_yahoo wrote:Do they burn as long as trioxane and what about flame height?
As far as a cooking fuel... hexamine is flat out better than trioxane. (esbit is a proprietary hexamine blend) Hexamine is also sold as fuel tablets by several other retailers. Gander mountain sells some for fairly cheap. One major advantage of hexamine, is that when you're done cooking, you can blow it out and use what's left later. Trioxane turns to goo.

This site has answers to all of your questions:
http://zenstoves.net/SolidFuelBurner.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trioxane is going to get harder to find. The military is obviously going away from the canteen cup/stove configuration. Most servicepeople tend to carry camelbaks anyway. The Modular Individual Water Heater (LINKEY) is the long awaited replacement. The system will include a special water siphon that will draw water from a hydration bladder, heat it, and then output it to another recepticle. Who knows if they'll ever get it to work though.
All the best!
-Paul

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

olaf_yahoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Shaun of The Dead, Dawn of The Dead 76', Undead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of The Dead, The Walking Dead

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Damnit I was at Gander Mt. YESTERDAY and I didn't even think about it! Which of course is 3 1/2 hours away for the nearest one, maybe they'll mail it if I order from their site. I like the idea of being able to blow it out if I want too.
"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum"

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:30 pm

olaf_yahoo wrote:Damnit I was at Gander Mt. YESTERDAY and I didn't even think about it! Which of course is 3 1/2 hours away for the nearest one, maybe they'll mail it if I order from their site. I like the idea of being able to blow it out if I want too.
At gander mt they are exaxtly like the ones posted on the zenstoves site... the ones listed at stansport or outback. The packaging is their house brand though. I don't recall what that is. it was about $3-$4 last i checked.

look at this crazy crap i just found!
http://www.esbit.de/index.php?id=67" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by 111t on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Well I totally missed wherever they were, probably walked right by when I was near the lanterns and stuff. Sounds a little pricey though, if I can find trioxane cheaper I'll go with that.

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:38 pm

olaf_yahoo wrote:Well I totally missed wherever they were, probably walked right by when I was near the lanterns and stuff. Sounds a little pricey though, if I can find trioxane cheaper I'll go with that.
it's in the isle with the storm matches and all that cheap junk.

oh yeah, trioxane is cheaper, especially if you buy it in bulk from SG or some other site. It has roughly half the heat to bulk as hexamine. if you're looking to save money though your path will lead you first to alcohol stoves and then to kerosene/gasoline stoves.

I read somewhere that esbit tabs are only slightly cheaper than dilithium crystals :wink:

if you're using the tabs for firestarting, you can break the hexamine up into small bits. The remaining bits will not evaporate.
Last edited by 111t on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Well my interest is primarily as an alternative fire starter but I'll keep that in mind :wink:

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:49 pm

trioxane is easier to light than hexamine,esbit... you won't have a problem either way with a match or lighter. But if you needed to use a ferro rod you would definitely want to use trioxane.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:58 pm

here is a compact cookset based around an esbit stove:
The mess kit is French? Dutch? IDK.

I need to make an aluminum windscreen for it.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

olaf_yahoo

Post by olaf_yahoo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 pm

That's good to know 111t, I like to keep my options open :D

Krolus
28 Weeks Later
All the resident evil flicks

Post by Krolus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:13 am

Hi all

New to the boards and I thought id chip in

I dont see anyone mentioning bike inner tube on this board? I used to carry some on camping trips in the UK.

My original method was to cut an old tube into lengths and store them on the handle of my maglite, they make fantastic big rubber bands and keep your maglite warm to the touch and non slip.

If you cut a "band" tube into 1" x 3" lengths light with a bic lighter. Doesnt matter if the rubber gets wet, doesnt matter if its windy, Ive never had any blow out and it burns hot and long enough to dry out any less than ideal tinder. Ideal for BOB and EDC kits

On a plus note its cheap as chips and 1 tube will last ages 8)

Hope this helps

Kro

Gingersam

Post by Gingersam » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:23 am

Krolus wrote:Hi all

New to the boards and I thought id chip in

I dont see anyone mentioning bike inner tube on this board? I used to carry some on camping trips in the UK.

My original method was to cut an old tube into lengths and store them on the handle of my maglite, they make fantastic big rubber bands and keep your maglite warm to the touch and non slip.

If you cut a "band" tube into 1" x 3" lengths light with a bic lighter. Doesnt matter if the rubber gets wet, doesnt matter if its windy, Ive never had any blow out and it burns hot and long enough to dry out any less than ideal tinder. Ideal for BOB and EDC kits

On a plus note its cheap as chips and 1 tube will last ages 8)

Hope this helps

Kro
+1 I saw ray mears do it on tv so it must be good.

qwertyuiop
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by qwertyuiop » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:22 pm

I carry triox to dry out tinder if its super wet outside. I've found the best way to carry them without having them get munched up is to pack a couple into a travel soap dish. I fit about 5 or 6 in and now don't have to worry about them getting smashed up or having the foil get perforated. I also have been known to carry a mixture of shredded cottonballs and vaseline in a fancy pastry icing squeezer that has a cap on the end of the nozzle... Its no-mess and you can lay a bead of it down pretty easy.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”