My cousins christmas present...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Big and Daft

My cousins christmas present...

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:34 am

I was undecided as to wether I should post this here, other gear or maybe even off-topic - if this is the wrong place, please move,cheers! Sorry for the crappy photos all I had was a mobile phone to take photos.

This is a basic zombie survival bag I put together for my cousin for christmas. He is very much into horror and zombie films and when we get together and get drunk, we chat about survival and outbreaks. So I put this together for him, stuff he will like and that will hopfully get him thinking a bit more seriously about preperation.

This is the bag, the contents, a DVD and a book.

Food and water is, 500ml of water and a block of emergency rations made my Seven Oceans. 2,500 kcal per block and is similar to Datrex/Mainstay bars, but easier to get hold of in the UK.

Here is a little FAK with pretty basic contents, a FFD, a box of waterproof matches and a BCB Survival Kit

A 400mm machete with sheath and 3 different coloured light sticks.

The bag, a simple canvas bag bought from eBay, hes also getting [REC] on DVD and WWZ.

And here is the bag, fully packed with the machete attached.

And here is a picture of my Marlin 1894c .357 and my Pietta 1858 .44 - just because I can!

I hope he likes it, i'm pretty sure he will though - Just thought i'd post it up here and show everyone.

Giacomo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead, Day of the dead, and Shaun of the Dead

Re: My cousins christmas present...

Post by Giacomo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:46 am

DUDE! YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT! I just found out we're cousins through the uhh... find you cousin network... yah... I'll just leave my address and you can surprise me for christmas.
EvilTOJ wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: I'm beginning to realize that you guys are all fucking nuts. :shock:
And a forum dedicated to preparing for a zombpocalypse wasn't your first clue we're all slightly mad? :lol:
PistolPete wrote:And you always wear a suit when you are granted audience with Kyle. He's generally naked, but everyone is too scared to bring it up.

mithuth

Post by mithuth » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:55 pm

Giacomo wrote:DUDE! YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT! I just found out we're cousins through the uhh... find you cousin network... yah... I'll just leave my address and you can surprise me for christmas.
Well played sir, well played indeed. lol

Looks like a pretty nice starter kit, hopefully it takes, and he goes all bat-shit crazy like the rest of us. lol
03 Jeep Wrangler: ZS Fleet # ZS0058

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:24 pm

I like it! Zombie enough to be fun, but all useful and perfectly valid gear items. (well, the machete probably isn't horribly useful, but hey :P)

What's this REC movie?

Oh and pshaw WWZ - get him DBDA! Support your local raptorman!
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Squirrley wrote:I like it! Zombie enough to be fun, but all useful and perfectly valid gear items. (well, the machete probably isn't horribly useful, but hey :P)

What's this REC movie?

Oh and pshaw WWZ - get him DBDA! Support your local raptorman!
If i'm not mistaken, REC is the movie that was remade last year as "Quarentine", of course, you need to stick to the originals.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Everyone back off....he's MY cousin!!

Giacomo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead, Day of the dead, and Shaun of the Dead

Post by Giacomo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:13 pm

BethDeath wrote:Everyone back off....he's MY cousin!!
The hell he is, I called dibs first. Step down woman. :wink:
EvilTOJ wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: I'm beginning to realize that you guys are all fucking nuts. :shock:
And a forum dedicated to preparing for a zombpocalypse wasn't your first clue we're all slightly mad? :lol:
PistolPete wrote:And you always wear a suit when you are granted audience with Kyle. He's generally naked, but everyone is too scared to bring it up.

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Giacomo wrote:
I have boobs. I win.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

that's awesome. you're a righteous cousin. :) I have to ask... why a machette instead of something more useful like a pocket knife? is it for the zombie apoc realism? and why the RGB glowsticks, but not a flashlight? are glowticks a zombie thing I'm unaware of?

oh, and lots of folks are gonna be jealous that you have Rec. supposed to be much better than Doomsday and it's not available here. :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 pm

BethDeath wrote:I have boobs. I win.
like, at everything. ;)

QOTD'd.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Giacomo

Post by Giacomo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:08 am

BethDeath wrote:
Giacomo wrote:
I have boobs. I win.
Damnit I always lose at the genetics game. I'm gonna go scarf lard and get some moobs, then I'll be unstoppable.
EvilTOJ wrote:

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:12 am

Thats an awesome and very creative christmas present. If someone bought me that stuff (and i didnt already have it all :)) I would be a very happy camper!
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:18 am

All my cousins died in a freak housefire last night. :cry: Can I be your cousin?

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:19 am

Ellie With An Axe wrote:All my cousins died in a freak housefire last night. :cry: Can I be your cousin?
It doesn't count since YOU started the fire!!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:26 am

Y.T. wrote:the RGB glowsticks, but not a flashlight? are glowticks a zombie thing I'm unaware of?

oh, and lots of folks are gonna be jealous that you have Rec. supposed to be much better than Doomsday and it's not available here. :)

Maybe he's a raver? OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS

Always need some glowsticks, right?

REC and Doomsday are pretty much, shot-for-shot, the same movie.

While REC gets points for being original, Doomsday gets points for not making me read subtitles while I'm trying to be scared at a movie.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 am

crypto wrote:
Y.T. wrote:the RGB glowsticks, but not a flashlight? are glowticks a zombie thing I'm unaware of?

Maybe he's a raver? OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS

REC and Doomsday are pretty much, shot-for-shot, the same movie.

While REC gets points for being original, Doomsday gets points for not making me read subtitles while I'm trying to be scared at a movie.
Not to be a noodge, but Quarantine is the movie that was a remake of REC...Doomsday was the suck-tastic apocalyptic movie that stole bits and pieces from lots of good apocalyptic movies...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:41 am

BethDeath wrote:
Ellie With An Axe wrote:All my cousins died in a freak housefire last night. :cry: Can I be your cousin?
There's absolutely no evidence of that. Now go play in the street. <3

Giacomo

Post by Giacomo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:48 am

Ellie With An Axe wrote:
BethDeath wrote:
There's absolutely no evidence of that. Now go play in the street. <3
Wasn't there a youtube video showing you burning it down, I think at one point you even went "HAHAHAHA NOBODY ON ZOMBIE SQUAD WILL KNOW I BURNED DOWN MY COUSIN'S HOUSE".
EvilTOJ wrote:

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:51 am

crypto wrote:Maybe he's a raver? OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS

crypto gets the magic bonus points of the day for actually being about to write out that sound. I could hear that. spooky.
crypto wrote:While REC gets points for being original, Doomsday gets points for not making me read subtitles while I'm trying to be scared at a movie.
valid and meaningful point. ;)
nfa wrote:Not to be a noodge, but Quarantine is the movie that was a remake of REC...Doomsday was the suck-tastic apocalyptic movie that stole bits and pieces from lots of good apocalyptic movies...
really? dang I could've sworn it was the other. not that I've seen any of them to actually know. I base my information solely on third party accounts from totally unknown and questionably reliable people on teh interwebs. it makes me feel warm and fuzzy. ;)

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:04 pm

Y.T. wrote:
crypto wrote:Maybe he's a raver? OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS

crypto gets the magic bonus points of the day for actually being about to write out that sound. I could hear that. spooky.
not sure if you can imbed (aparently not) but Crypto you totally reminded me of this...lmao..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1eDmuYQg8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as for the bag. AWESOME! Took me long enough to get the wife on board the preparedness wagon. Glad your cousin is already stepping in the right direction. thats always a good start!
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:31 pm

BethDeath wrote:
Giacomo wrote:
I have boobs. I win.
I sat here for like 5 minutes trying to think of a witty reply to this and I cant come up with anything.

There is nothing to be said, she wins.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:37 am

Aikidoka wrote:
BethDeath wrote:
Giacomo wrote:
I have boobs. I win.
I sat here for like 5 minutes trying to think of a witty reply to this and I cant come up with anything.

There is nothing to be said, she wins.
Cousin's boobs? Eww.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Webboy

Post by Webboy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:45 am

sheddi wrote: Cousin's boobs? Eww.
Epic come back :lol:

I don’t see the connection between rec and doomsday :?

rec: similar to cloverfied, "self shot" style, Spanish made, all shot in an apartment block sealed off

Doomsday: British made, set near future, not zombies, just a death plague, most scens are shot outside, truely crazy creative to make the survivors either medieval or punk :lol:

Ow yes, the bag.. Awesome idea, why don’t you slip in a zombie squad leaflet as a subtle hint :)
Aim for the head? shit its missing, now what?

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:26 am

Thats a badass christmas present! :D

Return to “Bug Out Gear”