It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:59 pm 

I am a fool.

Trying to save money for a down payment for a house & while I have this :

Quote:
NorthFace Backtrack 70

Avg Weight
8 lbs 7 oz (3830 g)
Volume
total: 4250 in³
(70 liters), daypack: 800 in³
(13 liters)
Dimensions
28"
x 15"
x 7"
(71 cm x 38 cm x 17 cm)
Fit Range
17"
-20"
(43 cm-50 cm)
Removable Daypack Dimensions
15" x 11" x 6" (38cm x 28cm x 15cm)
Fabric
300 HT ripstop Cordura®
nylon, 630D nylon, 1680D Ballistics, phthalate-free TPE fabric laminate

Included Rain cover Stored in base of pack that doubles over and zips Straps closed for airplanes.

And as I overpacked the Northface - (its just a bit too big for a B.O.B.) I went out looking and just ordered THIS :

Eberlestock Halftrack in Coyote Brown.

PLEASE NOTE .... LAPolicegear.com has them on for 199.00 including FREE shipping + PLUS another 10% OFF with coupon code ' Tweet' right now. (hence the moment of weakness - $205.00 to my door ?.... DAMNIT - ok !)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:16 am 

DEADBEAT wrote:
Also, mentioned was the compact size of the 22 round. That in conjunction with a Henry Survival rifle, you could have a compact gun with an abundance of ammo, worthy of survival hunting and covert suburban carry. I've held this rifle, and though its stock is a bit wide feeling, it is fully collapsible and self contained in the stock...(maybe watertight also?) it can hold TWO 8-round magazines (included) in the stock along with the barrel and receiver portion(Which is now ribbed to accept a scope). This seems like a valuable and cheap option for a dual purpose tool that any B.O.B. could find room for.
(2.5 Lbs. & only 16" collapsed, Semi-Automatic & does NOT need tools to assemble!!!)

If any of my info is incorrect, I apologize, just a few things of interest that you could further research, just figured I'd give you guys and gals a lead!!!

Rifle: http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

When it first came out, it was the quickly famous AR-7 survival rifle. Henry now manufactures them, and the scope rail is the only noticeable difference- a welcome one, IMHO. The (loaded) magazine, barrel, trigger assembly all slide into the buttstock, and yes, it IS a watertight seal, but only within reason- an accidental dunking wont bother it, but deep sea diving isn't what it's designed for. I was looking at getting another one, and found that Gander Mtn has them for a little over $230.00US. Look up the manufacturer's website to find dealers near you (http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm). I've liked these for a survival piece ever since they first came onto the market- by no means, a man-stopper weapon, but it CAN keep you fed, and Recondo makes excellent point on the weight/cost ratio to the AR-15 ammo, as he does in all his posts!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 pm 

I found this on eham.net and thought someone might like to use it for a Bug Out Bag???

Reviews Summary for Voltaic Systems Backpack
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $229
Description: A small range of bags and backpacks that feature built in solarpanels, battery storage and wire management
Product is in production.
More info: http://www.voltaicsystems.com/
Email Subscription
You are not subscribed to this review.
Subscribe!
My Subscriptions
Subscriptions Help

You can write your own review of the Voltaic Systems Backpack.

EVERALM Rating: 3/5 Aug 24, 2005 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Possible highly useful for QRP or emergency work Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Haven't usd it personally, however a friend has who uses it for various MP3, IPOD and other power guzzlers when he is out hiking etc.
Below are the details as provided from the vendor.

The Voltaic™ solar bags are mobile power generators, designed to charge your devices without tying you to a power outlet, which makes them ideal for traveling.

Just plug a standard car charger into the bag and recharge most small electronic devices including: cell phones, cameras, two way radios, PDA's, and MP3s. Note: it is not designed to charge laptops.

If you don't have a car charger, the bags come with a set of 11 standard adaptors for common cell phones and other devices. We also offer a full range of optional adaptors.

Embedded in the outside of the bags are three lightweight, tough, waterproof solar panels which generate up to 4 watts of power. This means quicker charge times!

Inside each bag is a Li Ion battery pack which stores any surplus power generated, so it is available when you need it, not just when the sun is up. The battery pack can also be charged using an AC travel charger or car charger (both included). This makes the Voltaic™ bags just as useful on the grid as off.

To my mind add a gell pack or a couple of the vendor Li-Ion packs in series and a serious contendor for the QRP, Yaesu-817 crowd

----------------------------------------

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:45 am 

I discovered this forum while searching for and reading reviews for the FailZero BCG and have read with interest most of the posts concerning BOBs...But IMHO, most have missed the real purpose of a BOB. Its real intended purpose is to provide the minimum vital equipment to get you back to your main cache containing the necessary provisions for long term survivability, both physically and psychological. If you think you're going to carry all that weight on your back...better reconsider, I can guarantee you'll ditch most of it before the day is out...I've been there. It was never intended to carry everything you'll ever need on your body / back. My overall philosophy of survival is multi-tiered depending on the extent and severity of the situation (Slight, Moderate, Intermediate, Severe, Catastrophic and last but not least...Apocalyptic.

Tier #1 - As stated, my BOB contains the bare essentials to provide Water, Food, Personal Defense and Shelter for a maximum of three days. I can also use the same stuff when I reach my Tier 2 Intermediate gear.

Tier #2 - Intermediate Gear - This is located in my vehicle is two separate roller duffle bags, first duffle for food and water...the second duffle contains my shelter, spare clothes, enhanced personal defense (AR15) and comfort items for an extended stay of a minimum of seven days...or course this depends on how far and where I'm located at the time. If I'm reasonably local to home (within 50 miles) I reduce the amount I carry. This provides enough (I hope) incase I'm be hindered in reaching my home due to evacuation traffic jams or any other obstructive causes.

Tier #3 - Home Cache - This provides a Long Term Survivability option for a minimum of 30 days because either one of two possibilities have happened. #1 - FEMA / NG have arrived and restored order and a reasonable supply of food, water and vital city services / resources. #2 - They Can't or Aren’t coming, in which case I've Bugged Out to my "Term Life" location

Tier #4 - "Term Life" - This is the location where I'll live out the rest of my life...generally Off the grid in a place where I have family and I'm well known by the "normal" residents. I and they can provide the necessary provisions for life.

Regards,
Gunny Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 am 

Gunny Al wrote:
I discovered this forum while searching for and reading reviews for the FailZero BCG and have read with interest most of the posts concerning BOBs...But IMHO, most have missed the real purpose of a BOB. Its real intended purpose is to provide the minimum vital equipment to get you back to your main cache containing the necessary provisions for long term survivability, both physically and psychological. If you think you're going to carry all that weight on your back...better reconsider, I can guarantee you'll ditch most of it before the day is out...I've been there. It was never intended to carry everything you'll ever need on your body / back. My overall philosophy of survival is multi-tiered depending on the extent and severity of the situation (Slight, Moderate, Intermediate, Severe, Catastrophic and last but not least...Apocalyptic.

Tier #1 - As stated, my BOB contains the bare essentials to provide Water, Food, Personal Defense and Shelter for a maximum of three days. I can also use the same stuff when I reach my Tier 2 Intermediate gear.

Tier #2 - Intermediate Gear - This is located in my vehicle is two separate roller duffle bags, first duffle for food and water...the second duffle contains my shelter, spare clothes, enhanced personal defense (AR15) and comfort items for an extended stay of a minimum of seven days...or course this depends on how far and where I'm located at the time. If I'm reasonably local to home (within 50 miles) I reduce the amount I carry. This provides enough (I hope) incase I'm be hindered in reaching my home due to evacuation traffic jams or any other obstructive causes.

Tier #3 - Home Cache - This provides a Long Term Survivability option for a minimum of 30 days because either one of two possibilities have happened. #1 - FEMA / NG have arrived and restored order and a reasonable supply of food, water and vital city services / resources. #2 - They Can't or Aren’t coming, in which case I've Bugged Out to my "Term Life" location

Tier #4 - "Term Life" - This is the location where I'll live out the rest of my life...generally Off the grid in a place where I have family and I'm well known by the "normal" residents. I and they can provide the necessary provisions for life.

Regards,
Gunny Al

+1.....great approach and realistic planning on this whole subject matter Gunny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 am 

First off, lemme say a biga*s "THANK YOU!!" to Gunny for this very informative post!! :D

While thinking of a firearm to keep in your B.O.B. you might want to consider not only food gathering, but self defense, all in one package.
There is only one firearm, that I am aware of, that can do both, function flawlessly, and still keep the load light.

The Keltec Sub-2000.

This little Angel folds in half, reduceing its size from a 29" carbine to a Backpackable 16"X7". It is made of light weight polymer (Think "Glock") and can be had in the same magazine configurement as your sidearm, be it (9mm) Glock17/19, BerettaA92/Taurus 92, S&W59, Or even the Sig P226. .40SW comes available in GLK22, BerettaA96, Sig226. Accessories include a spring loaded fold down scope mount (Think 4X and a JPoint), and an aluminum foregrip that includes a P-Rail (Think Laser sight/3 position flashlight), and an extra magazine holder which affixes to the buttstock.

Here's the link... http://www.keltecweapons.com ...

It's what I keep in my B.O.B. (Unless I take it out and play with it...The Carbine, ya jacklegs, the carbine!!) along with 250 rnds of 9mm Federal Hydroshok (Self defense), and 250 rnds of 9mm subsonic HP (Hunting ammo). I have a Sig P226 (Actually, I have 4, but who's counting??) and this lil jewel uses the SAME MAGAZINE, therefore, I carry 10 Loaded mags (5 20rnd mags of Hydro/5 20rnd mags of SS)
The coolest part of this is this carbine can be had for around $300US, and it's legal to own in all 50 states...Check it out.

Oh yea, NO, I am NOT a Keltec salesperson...I just believe, after owning this Carbine for 5 years, and using it for everything from plinking to hunting small/intermediate Game, that it can't be beat. And I don't give a Rats A*s what anyone sez...A 9mm Hydroshok "double tap" WILL stop a man, trust me on this...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:35 pm 

HopnPop wrote:
First off, lemme say a biga*s "THANK YOU!!" to Gunny for this very informative post!! :D

While thinking of a firearm to keep in your B.O.B. you might want to consider not only food gathering, but self defense, all in one package.
There is only one firearm, that I am aware of, that can do both, function flawlessly, and still keep the load light.

The Keltec Sub-2000.

This little Angel folds in half, reduceing its size from a 29" carbine to a Backpackable 16"X7". It is made of light weight polymer (Think "Glock") and can be had in the same magazine configurement as your sidearm, be it (9mm) Glock17/19, BerettaA92/Taurus 92, S&W59, Or even the Sig P226. .40SW comes available in GLK22, BerettaA96, Sig226. Accessories include a spring loaded fold down scope mount (Think 4X and a JPoint), and an aluminum foregrip that includes a P-Rail (Think Laser sight/3 position flashlight), and an extra magazine holder which affixes to the buttstock.

Here's the link... http://www.keltecweapons.com ...

It's what I keep in my B.O.B. (Unless I take it out and play with it...The Carbine, ya jacklegs, the carbine!!) along with 250 rnds of 9mm Federal Hydroshok (Self defense), and 250 rnds of 9mm subsonic HP (Hunting ammo). I have a Sig P226 (Actually, I have 4, but who's counting??) and this lil jewel uses the SAME MAGAZINE, therefore, I carry 10 Loaded mags (5 20rnd mags of Hydro/5 20rnd mags of SS)
The coolest part of this is this carbine can be had for around $300US, and it's legal to own in all 50 states...Check it out.

Oh yea, NO, I am NOT a Keltec salesperson...I just believe, after owning this Carbine for 5 years, and using it for everything from plinking to hunting small/intermediate Game, that it can't be beat. And I don't give a Rats A*s what anyone sez...A 9mm Hydroshok "double tap" WILL stop a man, trust me on this...

Interesting thought. I've seen this mentioned before. This seems to have been a option in the past (old West) with single action pistols and lever action rifles and these combos exist today in .357 and a couple of others. Not knocking your choice in caliber it just a little light for me. You choice could be ideal for many and I have friends who own Keltecs and they seem to me to be of good quality.

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:46 am 

In the progress of making my own BOB, I put together a list of things to consider when building/maintaining a BOB or INCH, and I thought I would share it with your. Keep in mind that the list is a work in progress, so it might not be complete, also some points do need clarification.
()=Points to consider, I have just given a few examples of options.

1. Situation
a. Opponent (what are you likely to encounter? scenarios? Men, animals, robbers, organized/disorganized etc. )
b. Terrain, Climate, Season?
c. Your age, stamina, alone/together, family/ kids, level of training (you and your BO-party)
d. CBRN-sit.

2. Assignment : What do you want to be able to do with your BOB (24h, 48h, 72h or more, Short duration/long duration, Long range/short range, )

3. How will you overall conduct the plan: Overt, Covert or hidden. (Plain clothing, Local clothing, Camouflaged, civilian, military, Show of force, Gray man? )
a. What are your detailed plans (Primary plan, Alternative plans, Routes , Alternative routes, Oscar Mike; day or night, LUPs, RV-points, Linkup, Resupply, Refuel, caches, sustainability )

4. Logistics
a. Transportation (Foot, car, horse, kayak, boat, bike, ATV, snow chains, snowshoes, cross country skies?)
b. Navigation (Compass, maps, stars, NVA/NVG, binoculars, GPS?)
c. Hydration (collecting and filtering water)
d. First Aid (FAK, medicine, antibiotic, IFAK, GSW or Booboo?)
e. Light (xenon, LED, beta light, IR, light stick, waterproof. etc?)
f. Shelter (Tent, Tarp, Bivi, snow cave, etc.)
g. Weather gear (Boots, shoes, sandals, Wet? Cold? Sun? Fiber? Fleece? Down? Etc. )
h. Fire /Heat (3 types of fire making?)
i. Repair Kit/Tools (Knife, Sewing kit, tape, glue, plies, saw, bars, cord, axe, hawk, ropes, shovel, snow shovel, etool, keys, bits, AA/AAA, spare parts ?)
j. Nutrition (cold, warm, on the go, salt, fuel, stove, burner, )
k. Hygiene (TP, toothbrush, dental floss, private parts, female products, eyes, feet?)
l. Funds (Cash, gold, silver, cards?)
m. Back ups (Papers, data, photos, ID, phone numbers, etc.)
n. Protection (And we are not talking rubber here… CBRN, predators, criminals?

5. Communication (FM/AM, VHF, HF, CB, PMR? Flares, smoke, strobe, signal panel, pen, paper, recognition ? Etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 pm 

My survival weapon of choice for my BOB is my Remington/Bakail .410-.22 over under. It breaks down to nothing and is super light. It also gives me the option of using a .410 Shotgun or .22 LR Round. Ammo is cheap, light and readily available.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:03 pm 

I didn't see this in the thread but in my bag I have an LED flashlight that is friction powered. You just spin it and you have light! Im sure you've all seen them but just in case, you can get them at home depot, harbor freight and im sure numerous other places.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:28 pm 

evisceration wrote:
I didn't see this in the thread but in my bag I have an LED flashlight that is friction powered. You just spin it and you have light! Im sure you've all seen them but just in case, you can get them at home depot, harbor freight and im sure numerous other places.

I picked one of those up at Wal Mart. I also have a headlamp and really small penlight. One of the above will inevitably get lost, so that hand cranked LED is a good choice for an extra. It is also pretty lightweight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 pm 

Just spitballin here but it strikes me that a small pkg of razor blade might be an incredibly useful thing to have in the BOB. Minimal wieght and space useage and some tasks require a finer edge than a knife blade.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 pm 

perfect layut and very instructinal. enjoyed it and am going to start building my B.O.B soon thabks for making it clearer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:52 pm 

So I know very little about how this works but as you stated "these filters do nothing to remove chemicals from the water, and can only trep specific sizes of nasties, so i's always important to treat your water after you filter.

I was thinking about picking up the MSR Miniworks EX (as you recommended) for a filter but what is the best means for water treatment? Is the MSR MIOX CHEMICAL TREATMENT meant for this function and to be used with the filter?

I might be asking these questions wrong making my ignorance obvious but please educate me.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:06 pm 

Really great information and tips here guys thanks keep it coming

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm 

Wow, this is one of the best presented BOB forums I have ever come across. Well done and well presented. Tagged for future adds

FYI... Federal Reserve Notes are NOT money, dollars or real currency, they ARE Fiat Notes or Currency, with no value except what the Fed says, So I now call them Federal Reserve Fiat Notes. Better to call things as they really are...

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:01 am 

I'd like to thank you all for the information in this thread, and this forum.
I'm about to move overseas and the recent CDC release, and the fact it's a third world country, got me thinking that I should really have a BOB put aside incase anything happens.

So yeah...thanks!

Edit: How's that...almost 6 years here, and this is my first post...

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:43 am 

discofever wrote:
I'd like to thank you all for the information in this thread, and this forum.
I'm about to move overseas and the recent CDC release, and the fact it's a third world country, got me thinking that I should really have a BOB put aside incase anything happens.

So yeah...thanks!

Edit: How's that...almost 6 years here, and this is my first post...

There was a very logical exercise I found online in which the author reviews the reason to bug out or bug in (stay put). For most situations, he concluded that in the West (read most of North America, Western Europe) there are more opportunities to stay put than probably situations that require/ compel someone to leave. This is based on an assumption that a strong national government can restore some order and provide some relief within a matter of days (think recent tornadoes in the US, although that is probably more local/state government).

The one case the author repeatedly determined someone needed a bug out bag and plan was a Westerner in a third world country-- which sounds like your situation. The author compared a natural disaster in a third world country to one in the West and easily determined that resources can be unavailable or infrastructure can be out of commission for weeks or longer. Add to that being a minority in a far away country, and things (political, economic, or societal conflict) can escalate quickly.

Of course, even one of the top countries in the world judging by GDP and technological development--Japan-- can face huge problems with natural disasters. CNN reported some American guest teachers working as English instructors spent 13 hours walking about 20 miles to the next town after the tsunami struck.

The lesson may be that the less you know an area and the more you stand out, the better prepared you need to be.

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm 

Do you happen to have a link to it? I'd love to give it a good read.

It sounds like exactly what I'll be up against overseas. I fall into the first one, thinking the government would be able to provide some support, but over there? Completely different story.
It's probably a bit naive of me to think that, but I figure if this is the beginner steps, then it can only be the right way forward.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:43 am 

discofever wrote:
Do you happen to have a link to it? I'd love to give it a good read.

It sounds like exactly what I'll be up against overseas. I fall into the first one, thinking the government would be able to provide some support, but over there? Completely different story.
It's probably a bit naive of me to think that, but I figure if this is the beginner steps, then it can only be the right way forward.

Unfortunately I was not able to find the article after searching for about 45 minutes. I remember it was short, analytic, and seemed to go against conventional wisdom, which was probably the main reason I remembered it. There were a few web sites I came across that were similar to the short, straightforward format, but I was unable to find the article.

If you are looking for a bag, consider the three day bag at http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3- ... pack1.html It is a great bag to start with and very inexpensive, but I have no idea what shipping costs are wherever you are located. Start slow, read, and avoid the temptation of depending on cash to make up for knowledge or insight. Anyone can blow a lot of money on a high-end military bag, but not everyone understands--including myself-- how best to pack it. First and foremost, how you go about putting together a bag or a plan will come down to your needs, preferences, and priorities.

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:17 am 

Very thorough. I'm just beginning to look into survivalism and this is all way over my head right now! But helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:28 pm 

I am new to this site and have read and appreciated A LOT of useful advice. Here's my contribution, only with permission of course. I just haven't seen this mentioned in any thread and think it may make an ENORMOUS difference when it matters most. And this is about survival.

That said, when I was contemplating creating my first BOB, which I'm preparing right now, one of my thoughts was to get a sufficient length of siphoning hose for the quite possible event that fuel is crucial and the only way to obtain it is to get it from another vehicle, with or without permission. While I don't doubt it would take up some room unless it is wrapped around an exterior element of the GHB or BOB, the weight would be minimal. And the advantage in a critical situation is obvious.

However, I was wondering as to the best length, width and composition of a siphoning hose? Any high-tech polymer that rolls up like a shoe lace or something? Any tips for more efficient siphoning? Any drawbacks? Any thoughts on the subject from somebody who knows what they're talking about?

And again, thanks for all of the great advice!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:40 am 
BANNED

for siphoning you want a long 1/4 inch od fuel line, because now days vehicles have anti siphon features, which can usally be slipped through with a small hose, best bet however is a screw driver and a hammer an punch a hole in the tank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:31 am 

Siphoning fuel would be against forum rules- being illegal and all.
What I got was a dollar store siphon pump, for adding to my water gathering equipment. It has a 1/4" OD hose, rolls up rather small, if you take your time doing so, and has the advantage of being able to be attached to either end of the pump portion, or used alone. The hose is about 6 feet long (2 meters-ish), and is all you'd need for just about ANY type of siphoning- the drawback being the small diameter of the hose, and slow delivery rate because of it. I got it because sometimes, as plentiful as water in my area is, you can't really get to it conveniently. This way, I can weight one end of the hose, drop it into the water, and pump the water up to my level for gathering and treating.
For a weight, I would suggest attaching the hose to a short length of copper 1/4"OD tubing, by heating the 'rubber' hose and forcing the tubing into it. By re-rolling the hose in the opposite direction, any curl to it can be pretty well removed, and the weight should handle what's left to it.

I own and use this type for my BOB: http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/28441 ... n-pump.jpg
There are "jiggler" types, and tropical fish owners I know have given them positive response: http://www.superjiggler.com/big_siphon.jpg
I own and have used this one in my plumbing business, and I like it: http://www.fishgasm.com/wp-content/uplo ... 20Pump.jpg
And then, you could always tailor one of these kerosene pumps to suit your uses: http://www.canjee.com/upload/pic/20100115140954249.jpg

Your options are by no means limited. What I like about any of the above units, is that they are ALL rated for fuels usage, so if I had to, I could transfer gas between my vehicles- I just wouldn't want to use it for water afterward.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next