Hobo stoves for scout fires.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Hobo stoves for scout fires.

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 pm

I really like twig stoves to cook food and boil water but they have another use. These stoves can make for nice low impact, clean burning scout/small campfires. Sets up faster than a fire ring and leaves less trace for times when discretion is the better part of valor. Lets go for a walk.

This bark looks good.

Some punky wood.

Yellow Birch, Oak and Tulip Poplar bark.

The type of hobo/twig stove I employ for this task are usually larger. The reason being these can produce longer burn times and have enough flames to illuminate the camp and provide some area heat which is why people make a camp fire. Also driving away bugs but that's not an issue here.

Left to right: Solo stove campfire, Firebox original and Core 5 setup in simplest configuration.

Core 5. Very UL. Around 8 oz. https://shop.mysurvivalpack.com/core-5- ... t-titanium

Firebox original. 2 lbs. https://www.fireboxstove.com/5%E2%80%8B ... ng-firebox

Lets start with the Solo stove campfire. https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-campfire/

I am going to ignite this wood gas stove from the top however it's larger firebox allows for the addition of fuel without smothering the gasification. Also it works well if ignited from the bottom like a traditional hobo stove.

Birch bark and a Bic. Found the Yellow Birch maybe 10 feet from day camp.

Big flames with little or no smoke are all pros of a larger wood gas stove. Cooking the sacred bacon and getting warm at the same time.

As the wood gas stove burned down to ash used the last bit of heat to dry out fluffed up barks. Going to use the Core 5 next.

I intended to use traditional flint and steel with charred bark to ignite the stove however realized I didn't have a rock in my traditional fire kit. It was removed when testing a Titanium striker. One of the pros to traditional methods is natural materials are replaceable. There is a brook right behind daycamp. I employed my finest flint knapping skills on some brook quartz.

A hit!

Behold! My new flint rock aka quartz. Used my REI CO-OP dividend points!

Tossed some good sparks. The second pic is the moment of ignition.

With a pile of natural charred materials time is on my side. Let it smolder as got the stove ready.

Fire. The Core 5 can be fueled though the bottom.

It was getting dark and still had some miles to go so didn't use the Firebox stove this time. It's a good stove however. The pros of campfire usage for twig stoves are fast setup and low impact. Additionally wood burning stoves use very little fuel. I think they make for nice little scout/camp fires.

Here is an overly long video. Hold on... Aw 12 minutes isn't so bad. Thanks for looking.

For some reason the video function isn't working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPz1eoBHBYI

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Hobo stoves for scout fires.

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:23 am

WW, you have my blessing to marry either one of my daughters. I may even give you a dowry.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Great post thank you for sharing this with us!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Yet another excellent pot from MWW. :D

I am without emoji for absinthe :ohdear:

FTR: I never used emojis until I got here. It's your guys/gals fault. :wink: :clownshoes:

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:25 pm

awesome thread, and as always concise prose with awesome pictures. thanks for sharing!
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:52 pm

I busted out my smaller knock off woodgas stove (thrift store find) the other day, lots of potential but I need more practice, it was easier to smother then I thought but still easy to revive with a few puffs. I have larger Solo stove (maybe the same as OP's?) but it was also bought second hand and I will confess to not having tested it yet. I assume larger wood gas stoves are easier to use then smaller ones?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”