The USMC ILBE Pack

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Umbrella

Re: The USMC ILBE Pack

Post by Umbrella » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Holy thread resurrection Batman! Well I put this thread up in 08 when I was considering the ILBE and since then I have purchased one and used it quite a bit.

I'm my experience the pack has provided a comfortable platform for my backpacking needs. During the spring and summer months I have regularly used it in 80 degree weather, with 60lbs over 4 miles on flat terrain. The strapping supports and distributes the weight much better than other surplus packs (when used in a more "civy" fashion ie not over first line gear/sapi/armor etc). Even with that, the pack is much closer to your back and doesn't allow for really any airflow, so personally I easily sweat right through my shirt when I wear it.

Here is a quick comparison of pack size on 3 guys all about 5'10".

Left to right: Kifaru ZXR, ILBE, Alice Hellcat

--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:00 pm

Hey does anyone know the cubic inches of the ILBE? I think the various pacs go like this (based on my limited google-fu):

Medium ALICE-2900 CIs
Large ALICE- 3900 CIs
CPF-90- 4400 CIs

But does anyone know the ILBEs facts?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Psycosis

Post by Psycosis » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:57 am

0122358 wrote:Hey does anyone know the cubic inches of the ILBE? I think the various pacs go like this (based on my limited google-fu):

Medium ALICE-2900 CIs
Large ALICE- 3900 CIs
CPF-90- 4400 CIs

But does anyone know the ILBEs facts?
The interwebs says 4500

http://www.military-backpacks.com/ilbe/ilbe-main-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Main Pack on the ILBE system, also referred to as the ILBE rucksack, was designed to be the main load bearing portion of the backpack. It’s standalone capacity is 4,500 cubic inches. When combined with a supplemental Assault Pack containing an additional 1,500 cubic inches of storage space, the backpack has a capacity of 6,000 cubic inches and up to 120 pounds.

none1

Post by none1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:25 am

I am a fan of the ILBE. In general, I'm a fan of the civy packs with real good suspensions. I like gregory and arcteryx. The ILBE is arcteryx, but, somewhat older design, but I think they do sell the bora the ILBE was patterned after. The civvy versions are lighter, and, IMO, they are pretty durable in that many folks pack and camp for weeks and weeks and weeks before their packs blow out. The military versions are more durable ... AND weigh a lot more.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/post ... &p=1443723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

none1 wrote:
1) Large Alice with Frame = 3800 CUI, 6 lbs

2) Medium Alice, no frame = 2400 CUI, 3.3 pounds

3) Molle2, no pouches, with sleep carrier = 4600 CUI, 8.6 pounds. Pouches are about a half pound each.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=62056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4) USMC ILBE = 4500 CUI, 7.5 pounds (produced by propper / Arc'Teryx)

5) USGI SPEAR UM21 pack, 4 pouches = 7000 CUI, 12 pounds, about 10 pounds with no pouches (5400 cui no pouches) (produced by gregory) Ya, that's 12 pounds EMPTY :-)
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=53647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 48&t=50975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6) Gregory Palisades 80 = 5000 CUI, 6.45, CIVILLIAN pack, included cause it's here next to the rest of them. :)
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Aim2Maim

Post by Aim2Maim » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:09 pm

anyone have experience with this pack and an EMR? I need a lot of space as I carry the brunt of the gear for the family. Looking at upgrading from a Molle2 and had been looking at an EMR but if the ILBE can save me a ton for the same comfort I'm willing to give it a shot. Thanks!
Behold the pale white horse, the man that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him.
If you prepare for the impossible, you can survive the inevitable.

GOODdaysir

Post by GOODdaysir » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 pm

I feel bad for resurrecting this, but has anyone dyed the ILBE?
Hey guys, Please check out my blog for gear reviews you can trust
http://suburbansurvivorgear.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A new perspective on gear, to help you choose the best load-out for your situation

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:11 am

I have one of the prototypes in OD, but I've never heard of anyone dying one, no...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

slavage

Post by slavage » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm

never heard of any one tying to dye one the way the coating on them are i dont think it will take
but i have an extra one i was going to sell if any one is interested toss me a pm
dave

Nomad Duck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie land

The USMC ILBE Pack

Post by Nomad Duck » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 am

I've used this pack for over 5 years now. Love it! I have an extra USMC issued ilbe pack and 3 day assault/day pack. Feel free to pm or email me.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 am

I thought I would post on here rather than starting a whole new thread. I just got an ILBE pack from Ebay. The pack is new never issued! I picked it up for $41! :D The pack didn't come with the waist belt or lid. Ebay took care of those easy enough. The lid is almost new for $19.27. The belt is in good shape and cost $13.56. $73.83 for the whole package! :clap:

After fiddling around with the pack for a bit I finally did a test run. I loaded up the pack and took a short walk. Between the pack and fighting load carrier, I was carrying 45 pounds. I am impressed with how comfortable it was to walk with. I am 290 pounds and out of shape. I can only imagine how much nicer it will be once I lose some weight and get in better shape. This pack defiantly beats my MOLLE 2 large ruck. I will still need to play around with packing and adjusting the pack, but so far it looks like a winner. If you have been thinking of getting this pack, it seems to be well worth it, especially if you can find a great deal like I did. Since the Marines are switching packs, now seems like a good time to buy one. Seems the only reason not to go with this pack is if you use body armor.

Cheaper than dirt has some grade 2 ILBE's in stock for $179.97. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MLT-9127
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Well since we keep bringing this thread back from the dead, let me do my bit:

Quick someone tell me why should my first serious GHB/BOB pack should be a MilSurp USMC ILBE Gen 2 -3 Day pack (+/- $40.00 on Ebay) instead of a Spec Ops Brand “T.H.E. Pack” (+/- $85 to $100 on Ebay and $120.00+ on their site).

Both have tons of MOLLE / PALs attachment points, no frame-padded back, are made here in the US. Materials quality aside, the one place were the ILBE / Arc*Tyrex loses is in the volume department: 1500 cubic inches vs. 2550 c/I on the “T.H.E. Pack”, but with enough pouches etc., I imagine the difference could be made up.

Would my spending anywhere between 50 to 60% less on an ILBE 3 day really make me miss out on the very much touted awesomeness of the Spe Ops Brand pack? I would probably end up getting one anyways but is it silly that I want to 'cut my teeth' so to speak, sinking a little less coin into the endeavor? It is not like I would not keep or use the ILBE after the other pack got picked up, I am likely to just repurpose it.

Discuss among yourselves. KTHXBYE!
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:54 am

mr_slappy75 wrote:Well since we keep bringing this thread back from the dead, let me do my bit:

Quick someone tell me why should my first serious GHB/BOB pack should be a MilSurp USMC ILBE Gen 2 -3 Day pack (+/- $40.00 on Ebay) instead of a Spec Ops Brand “T.H.E. Pack” (+/- $85 to $100 on Ebay and $120.00+ on their site).

Both have tons of MOLLE / PALs attachment points, no frame-padded back, are made here in the US. Materials quality aside, the one place were the ILBE / Arc*Tyrex loses is in the volume department: 1500 cubic inches vs. 2550 c/I on the “T.H.E. Pack”, but with enough pouches etc., I imagine the difference could be made up.

Would my spending anywhere between 50 to 60% less on an ILBE 3 day really make me miss out on the very much touted awesomeness of the Spe Ops Brand pack? I would probably end up getting one anyways but is it silly that I want to 'cut my teeth' so to speak, sinking a little less coin into the endeavor? It is not like I would not keep or use the ILBE after the other pack got picked up, I am likely to just repurpose it.

I have never used either but I would opt for the ability to carry more inside the pack as opposed to the possibility of adding pouches. But then again if you get the ILBE day pack you have the possibility of attaching it to the bigger pack if you so choose down the road.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:19 am

One thing I dislike about this is people use it for a bug out bag. If I saw this from a long distance and I had a rifle, it'd be a target to me.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Arsenul wrote:One thing I dislike about this is people use it for a bug out bag. If I saw this from a long distance and I had a rifle, it'd be a target to me.
A- how do you plan on seeing this well camouflaged pack from a long distance?

B- you plan to randomly shoot everyone you come across who has nice gear?
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:06 pm

claverhouse wrote:
Arsenul wrote:One thing I dislike about this is people use it for a bug out bag. If I saw this from a long distance and I had a rifle, it'd be a target to me.

No, only military pattern gear. Obviously he wouldn't shoot if it was bright orange or a muted grey. That would just be silly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

You do realize how fucking stupid this statement is, right? I mean, really fucking stupid.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:46 pm

omega_man wrote:
You do realize how fucking stupid this statement is, right? I mean, really fucking stupid.
Not only that but talking about illegal activities is against ZS Rules. Notice given and time get back on topic.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:07 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
claverhouse wrote:

No, only military pattern gear. Obviously he wouldn't shoot if it was bright orange or a muted grey. That would just be silly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Ooookay then...yeah thanks folks; So other than being in danger of becoming a walking bullseye if I happen to come across folks who are like-minded to Arsenul...I should be G2G within the parameters of the ILBE 3 day AP. Right?

74or more does make a very good point regarding "base volume" vs. "Potential volume".
BTW Eagle Industries' newer "FILBE" comes in straight up Coyote Brown, ya'know if I wanted to be less oh IDK.."appealing to targeted violence?"...it is a quite bit more than the G2 ILBE, almost as much as the Spec Ops.

Reason I am looking at a 3 Day pack vs. Something bigger is b/c this is going to do main duty as a GHB / 24 hr. BOB for two people stuck 30 miles out from home at the office (yes, my SO I work for the same employer and commute together). Makes sense? I am still working on our individual full-on BOBs, but in our current situation this is a more realistic priority.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
omega_man wrote:
Not only that but talking about illegal activities is against ZS Rules. Notice given and time get back on topic.
I think what he meant to illustrate is that people wearing an overtly military bag stick out more as someone who might be a valuable target.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:59 pm

crypto wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:
omega_man wrote:
I think what he meant to illustrate is that people wearing an overtly military bag stick out more as someone who might be a valuable target.
Saying a military pack could make someone a target aka beating the gray man dead horse yet again is one thing but saying "If I saw this from a long distance and I had a rifle, it'd be a target to me." isn't going to fly around these parts. I gave the benefit of the doubt, as is my nature so simply posted a notice and a desire this thread remain on topic.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 am

mr_slappy75 wrote:
Reason I am looking at a 3 Day pack vs. Something bigger is b/c this is going to do main duty as a GHB / 24 hr. BOB for two people stuck 30 miles out from home at the office (yes, my SO I work for the same employer and commute together). Makes sense? I am still working on our individual full-on BOBs, but in our current situation this is a more realistic priority.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
I've used just the assault pack from this setup as a 3-day with about 25lbs in it with no issues. It is a molle covered comfortable pack and well worth the price, considering if you bought the Arcteryx branded Charlie pack it would be $160.

You might not be looking for a larger pack now, but for the average $75 for the combo (ILBE main pack, and assault pack) go for it. It's a great setup, and the packs "dock" together easily, if you want to use both. IMHO worth it :wink:
--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:56 pm

I was recently given an ILBE main + assault pack, both in very good shape. Up till now, all of my nessisities have been scattered in small pouches in my truck---toolbox, behind seat, etc.
Since I got these packs for free, I decided it is time to assemble everything together--it will still stay in the truck 90% of the time..
My question is---I want to see how the military sets up these packs as designed-----I figure that will give me a good starting point to figure out what I need inside the pack, any external pouches, options for hydration, and so on.
Does anyone have a .mil manual or setup photos I can take a look at?
Yes, I can figure out my setup through trial and error, but like everything else, these packs were designed for a certian configuration----I think that it will save me time and effort if I don't have to "re-invent the wheel" if the Marines have already done it.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm

aikorob wrote:I was recently given an ILBE main + assault pack, both in very good shape. Up till now, all of my nessisities have been scattered in small pouches in my truck---toolbox, behind seat, etc.
Since I got these packs for free, I decided it is time to assemble everything together--it will still stay in the truck 90% of the time..
My question is---I want to see how the military sets up these packs as designed-----I figure that will give me a good starting point to figure out what I need inside the pack, any external pouches, options for hydration, and so on.
Does anyone have a .mil manual or setup photos I can take a look at?
Yes, I can figure out my setup through trial and error, but like everything else, these packs were designed for a certian configuration----I think that it will save me time and effort if I don't have to "re-invent the wheel" if the Marines have already done it.
Youtube. There are some very motivated staff-pieces what did a few videos already.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

hawk55732
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead and City of the Dead

Post by hawk55732 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:00 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:Well since we keep bringing this thread back from the dead, let me do my bit:

I have both of these bags. Being in the Marines I have used the ILBE Day pack for quit a while. Especially from the time before the Marines changed it so we can carry bags that arent issued on our backs.

The Assault Day Pack is made out of 750D Cordura Nylon fabric while T.H.E. Pack is made out of 1000D Cordura Nylon fabric. For most people and most uses this wont make a big difference. In fact, making it out of 1000D Cordura Nylon fabric makes T.H.E. Pack a bit heavier. However, I have had my T.H.E. Pack for almost 10 years now and I havent not had a single issue with the fabric. Notice that I say the fabric not the rigging. I have run into one issue in the last year where the buckles have snapped in a few places. This isnt completely detrimental and I can fix it. On the other hand this will most likely happen to the Assault Day Pack given enough time. Lets also not forget that T.H.E Pack has been to Iraq twice, numerous excersises in the field, to Okinawa and has seen use as my carry on for plane trips, over night car trips, over night camping trips and has room for more then one night of camping.

T.H.E. Pack weighs about 3 pounds or so while The Assault Day Pack weighs at bit less. Do remember thou that T.H.E Pack carries 2550 cubic inches while the Assault Day Pack carries only 1600 cubic inches. On the other hand, you have to remember that the main compartment on T.H.E Pack has a carrying capacity of 1730 cubic inches. It does have two extra compartments that hold 250 cubic inches and 570 cubic inches. So if you are looking for just one big opening the Assault Day Pack almost has the T.H.E Pack beat when it comes to space/weight.

One thing that I love about T.H.E Pack is that Spec Ops makes whats called the Pack Rat. It is a special organizer that is designed to sepcifically fit in the bottom pock of T.H.E Pack. http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-ge ... nizer.html
This thing works great for carrying all of your extra gear. What I have done is used it as a mini surival bag to carry during the day. In it I keep a disposable raincoat, emergency blanket, knife sharperner/knife, a flashlight, matches, water tablets etc..... I also keep a first aid kit in the bottom pocket so that is like my emergency grab and run bag if I really have to go light weight.

The BIG differnce... besides all of that stuff is the price. I was lucky, I was able to get my T.H.E Pack for 100 bucks at the PX in Iraq. I paid 75 dollars for my ILBE+Assault Pack. Now T.H.E. Pack goes for 150 to 200 depending on what kind you get. You can get them on ebay for less then a hundered thou. In the end, the Assault Pack wins on price.

In the end I use both of them. T.H.E. Pack is used as my every day carry bag. I take it to work and on all of my trips. I have set up my Assault Pack as my light weight GHB that stays in my car. However, if I had to go with just one it would be T.H.E Pack. I will say though that that might just be because I have had it for so long that it is like a part of the family. In the long run I think you will be happy with whatever one that you get.

*edit* on a side note, Spec Ops does make a frame for T.H.E Pack http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-ge ... black.html. This thing helps a lot. It really does help with the weight of the bag. You can also fit a water bladder in the slot the frame goes in while the frame is in there.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”