The USMC ILBE Pack

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Umbrella

The USMC ILBE Pack

Post by Umbrella » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:13 am

In a quest to find a newer pack without totally breaking my budget I ran into the newer USMC Improved Load Bearing Equipment Pack. It seems like quite a nice piece of gear.

-Modern PALs/MOLLE all over.
-Top, bottom and side loading.
-A top cover that stores gear and is removable.
-A good overall size

The pack is produced by Arc'Teryx and Proper for the USMC. I found that Arc'Teryx offers commercial packs of a similar construction. This is quite lucky for me as I only purchase the pack body and REI has the commercial straps and belt, so all is well.

Has anyone played with these? Any opinions?

--Pics of the pack I found on the web (not me)--

--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

jor-el

Re: The USMC ILBE Pack

Post by jor-el » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:58 pm

Roughly a CFP-90 with MOLLE straps instead of ALICE.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Short Bus

Post by Short Bus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:51 am

I woujld love to have one of those. Seems like it is a great pack from the pics. If you find out a good place to get them, I may have to try and get one.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:55 am

my gawd, that's MONSTROUS. you could bug out IN the bag. ;) in fact I think I could fit in there and you could just carry me around when SHTF.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:58 am

The bag looks big like Gunny's Kifaru. It's not really huge it's having all the weight in it after you load it down. It looks comfortable but as far as durability I have no idea.

How much does it cost?
ImageImage

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:37 am

Looks a lot like a Kifaru EMR. How much does it cost (being from Arc'Teryx, it can't be real cheap)?

If it's close to the cost of the EMR, you might be better off going that route, as the suspension is probably better.
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:19 am

I've been issued several, frankly, I don't like them. Firstly, I've found that they become completely useless when worn over body armor. Specifically, the hip strap no longer works and they slide around on the SAPI plate, making them highly uncomftorable.

Secondly, they're just too damn big. Yes, I know that you might need to carry a lot of gear, but IMHO, using a huge freaking pack (they're set up to attach a 3-day assault pack on the outside of the main pack, BTW) just encourages one to pack way too much shit.

With the assault pack attached, it's very easy to load that pack upwards of 100, even 120 pounds or more. IIRC, our packs in Marine Combat Training (that model) weighed in at about 100, give or take. And most of us made it through the forced humps, (3, 7 and 15 milers, I think, it's been a few years), but it wasn't fun. /end rant

That being said, if you're not planning to wear body armor or a bulky LBV with it, and you need a pack that size, it is a good piece of gear. Without the body armor issue, it's extremely secure and as comftorable as a pack that size can be. Personally, I prefer to make do with a framed medium ALICE and a buttpack, but that's just me.

Disclaimer: that's all assuming you get a genuine Marine Corps issue, I obviously can't speak for the quality of knock-off gear.

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:32 am

Y.T. wrote:my gawd, that's MONSTROUS. you could bug out IN the bag. ;) in fact I think I could fit in there and you could just carry me around when SHTF.
Funny thing is this guy has a pic to address that comment.

As I am migrating from a CFP90 this seems to be a good overall size. I thought of a ZXR or EMR instead but after buying the body, top lid and commercial straps I'll have about $185 in it overall, mostly thanks to eBay. Compare that to the aprox $400 for a Kifaru and I think I'll be sitting pretty.

I don't intend to wear the pack with armor (notice I said "intend" :wink: ), but it is good to know that some features are not as useful as others if I were to do so. Also I'm not opting for the assault pack, as I haven't had a lot of luck with dock and lock bags. They never seems to be secure enough and always make the pack feel unbalanced IMHO.

Once I have the parts in place and assembled I'll get my opinion together and pass along the info.
--Umbrella Corporation--

goblin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original day of the dead!

Post by goblin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:40 am

If that pack were to be full, how much would it weigh and how long\far could you hump it?
"Just kickin' a can down the road to Hell."
"Real zombies CAN"T run!!"

Visit http://www.urbansurvivalstrategies.forumsland.com/

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:55 am

goblin wrote:If that pack were to be full, how much would it weigh and how long\far could you hump it?
Right now my CFP is around 70lbs (aprox. I need to put it on a scale) and I'd do 4 miles 3 times a week. Now, I must admit my lazy ass hasn't been out on that schedule for about 3 months, so I'm sure I'm a bit out of it :oops: .
--Umbrella Corporation--

Regret

Post by Regret » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Y.T. wrote:my gawd, that's MONSTROUS. you could bug out IN the bag. ;) in fact I think I could fit in there and you could just carry me around when SHTF.

Sorry...had to do it, nothing to see here...move along.
Church: What a shitty medical school.
Tucker: Yeah, where'd you go, the University of Jamaica?
Doc: Oh please, I wouldn't be caught dead on that campus. I went to Jamaica State! We were the Jamaica State Fighting Irish!

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Umbrella wrote:
Y.T. wrote:my gawd, that's MONSTROUS. you could bug out IN the bag. in fact I think I could fit in there and you could just carry me around when SHTF.
ROTF!! :lol: :lol: So does this mean I can just hang out in your bag when the SHTF? Coz that would make my bugout plans a whole lot easier. You could be like, "hey, Y.T. hand me a flashlight while you're in there." or "I'm feeling kinda hungry you wanna make me a sammich." I could hold an umbrella over your head when it rains. It could totally work for you. For reals. ;)

OOH! OOH! OOH! or we could be like Master Blaster. I could get you a cool helmet. Dude, this plan could totally work. Totally.

:lol: :lol:
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:14 pm

Y.T. wrote:
Umbrella wrote:
Y.T. wrote:my gawd, that's MONSTROUS. you could bug out IN the bag. in fact I think I could fit in there and you could just carry me around when SHTF.
ROTF!! :lol: :lol: So does this mean I can just hang out in your bag when the SHTF? Coz that would make my bugout plans a whole lot easier. You could be like, "hey, Y.T. hand me a flashlight while you're in there." or "I'm feeling kinda hungry you wanna make me a sammich." I could hold an umbrella over your head when it rains. It could totally work for you. For reals. ;)

OOH! OOH! OOH! or we could be like Master Blaster. I could get you a cool helmet. Dude, this plan could totally work. Totally.

I think I've seen this idea somewhere before....

Yep that's it I'm totally in on this...as long as you're a kick ass Jedi Master I think we're set :lol:
--Umbrella Corporation--

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:24 pm

Umbrella wrote:Yep that's it I'm totally in on this...as long as you're a kick ass Jedi Master I think we're set :lol:
best of both: Jedi Master Blaster?

omg, why did no one think of this before... Yoda backpack & Luke vs. Master Blaster. This is Thunderdome, 4 men enter, 2 men leave. ;)

Regret wrote:Image
:lol: too funny.

ahhhhh, sorry for the thread tangent. I just couldn't help it. too much funny sitting there. :)

turan8

Post by turan8 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:17 am

I believe that outside those sold on ebay, all the ILBE's on the civilian market are stolen because they were all manufactured for the Marines.

Now I was never a Marine, but as former LE/military person I can say that buying an ILBE and stuff like it is generally unethical...at least to me.

Now I also hear the Marines are doing active investigations on the ebay sellers of these packs so I wouldn't want to be involved in it because of that angle either :o

Luckily Arc'Teryx sells a commercial version of the ILBE in all sorts of colors not just MARPAT. Here's one such seller:
http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/it ... urn false;
Local AK expert at your beck and call for all PAW consulting services pertaining to Mr. Kalishinakov's marvelous creation.

cetane

Post by cetane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:26 pm

turan8 wrote:I believe that outside those sold on ebay, all the ILBE's on the civilian market are stolen because they were all manufactured for the Marines.

Now I was never a Marine, but as former LE/military person I can say that buying an ILBE and stuff like it is generally unethical...at least to me.

Now I also hear the Marines are doing active investigations on the ebay sellers of these packs so I wouldn't want to be involved in it because of that angle either :o

Luckily Arc'Teryx sells a commercial version of the ILBE in all sorts of colors not just MARPAT. Here's one such seller:
http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/it ... urn false;
LMAO that one of the dumbest thing I have ever read!!! I buy these US surplus packs right from the government surplus site in 14 to 25 pack lots. They are for sale every day all year. Some times they are new and never issued. Its not even close to illegal. DOD sells surplus lots daily.
ImageImageImageImage

houstonems

Post by houstonems » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Unfortunately for me, I was an Army Ranger in the 1980's. During my time, we went from the "MEDIUM" Alice Pack, to the "LARGE" Alice Pack, and Field Tested the CFP-90. (still have mine Experimental Marked, made by Lowe-Alpine).

It was hard enough to hump the Large Alice. The CFP-90 was a stone cold "B#tch". And that was for a 20-ish Ranger in Top Physical Condition. As the packs got bigger, the military found more and more things for us to carry. (or we did it ourselves,,, sigh). The Moral of this story, is that JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN (use a bigger ruck) DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD.

Even the U.S. Military has realized that the chances of soldiers having to be out of contact for weeks at a time, and have to hump everything they own/need, are a thing of the past. This is why current doctorine has USMC & Army Infantry using the smaller assault packs, buttpacks, fanny belts, and vests with everything hanging from them, and then a logistical tail with their larger packs in the rear. Right now that means an AFV, Hummer, MRAP, etc. In the future, there will be a Autonomous or semi-autonomous all terrain vehicle similar to the USMC Mule used in Viet Nam, traveling with our troops.

Now most of us are NOT in the same physical condition as military troops. So pack lightly, and think modular. Distributed items between Buttpack, Back Pack, Body vest/belt/harness, clothing pockets, and heaviest items in or on your primary mode of transport, other than your feet.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Regret wrote:

Sorry...had to do it, nothing to see here...move along.
I had this 5 foot tall boot one time and we made him get in an ILBE with a 7 foot tall machine gunner carrying him around; the little guy in the ILBE was instructed to repeat: "Who runs barter town, master-blaster runs barter town!". Ah, fond barracks memories...

ILBE, good piece of gear if you're not, and I stress NOT, wearing body armor. Just don't over pack it.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

navajojoe

Post by navajojoe » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:37 pm

IRT houstonems comment about using less gear and making things weight less.

Um, well let me say this: I don't think the Marine Corps got this memo. My last deployment a year and a half ago, I was a rocking 168 lbs, after I put my loadout gear on I was a nice comfortable 255 which equals 87 lbs of stuff. :x What stuff was that, well I carried rifle, H20, ammo, flack, kevlar, frags, smoke grenades, radio, NODs, gps, binos, food "other than MREs" etc etc etc. :gonk: All totaled up for a nice walk for a four to seven day trip. Morale of the story is, yes we do use smaller packs for four to seven day trips. However, the weight is still there. Oh and I do not like the ILBE, most of us still rock the Mollie pack or have purchased our own rucks. It is money out of pocket, but does wonders on the body. There has got to be a better way to make a living ! :shock:
Navajo Joe
"Keep your powder dry"

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:39 pm

We tested the ILBE prototypes(like the one hanging in my garage) in my unit(K/3/3), but that was before major SOP changes, like plates & armor everywhere you go, and armor mounted hydration pouches. Because of this, the Corps got a ruck that haulled a ton of gear pretty well, as long as you drape your flak and 782 gear over the top of the pack instead of wearing it. If your requirements are to carry a lot of shit and not wear armor, this is a viable solution, and the price is right.

If you do consider wearing armor an alternative, try the army's new MOLLE Medium ruck, it's 1609 frame stradles an armor mounted hydration bladder very nicely!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Silent Fire
Favorite Zombie Movies: In order of preference -
28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead (Snyder version)
Shaun of the Dead
Quarantine
28 Weeks Later
Everything else.

Post by Silent Fire » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:45 am

I didn't like it, but I only spent a month with one. I suppose if I had one I could tinker with or if I had time to get used to it, it might grow on me, but I turned had to turn it back in.

I think for the money there are better options. I suppose if you're tall, it will fit you well, but I'm 5'7" and I couldn't get it as high as I like it on my back (waistbelt always hung low and left blisters/bruises and interfered with walking). And yes, it is huge. I have a Kifaru Zulu, and I would say that it beats the ILBE by a significant margin in terms of comfort and usability. I haven't used any other packs of comparable size.

I didn't like the waistbelt either. The omni-belt Kifaru makes fits more naturally and seems to carry the weight better.

Have you heard the alternate acronym for it?

ILBE-
"I Love Buckles Everywhere."

Tons of straps. Tons of them. So you can compress it a lot.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 am

If you ever have to take it somewhere without rucking it, i.e. truck it, airplane, etc. then you'll see that the straps catch and tear holes, especially the map pouch. The kidney belts are bad about popping off.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

navajojoe

Post by navajojoe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:28 am

Doc Torr is right about those waist belts just popping off. I forgot about that issue, we had this happen to us when we went to 29 Palms :evil: and put our packs in the belly of the plane. When we landed in March ARB, it was a big game of putting belt to pack and then the drive to HELL, or 29 Palms !

Kutter 0311, when were you with 3/3? I went to East Timor back in 2000 with them on the MEU. Good times.
Navajo Joe
"Keep your powder dry"

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:44 am

navajojoe wrote:Kutter 0311, when were you with 3/3? I went to East Timor back in 2000 with them on the MEU. Good times.
Sounds like the pump before I got there, as I got there right after 9/11/01, and we pumped out again a few months later.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”