Axe for survival

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AraZombie

Axe for survival

Post by AraZombie » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Hello survivors! I was talking with a friend who is an "expert" about survival skills and we were debating about which is the best weapon or tool to carry and we both agreed it was the axe. After that, he showed me this guide https://www.toolazine.com/hatchet-vs-axe-survival/ review some of the new axe model and the possible use it could have. I personally love the Gerber Downrange Tomahawk model. That will be the weapon I would like to carry in the apocalypse. What about you?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Axe for survival

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Moved to BOG because it fits better here
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:03 pm

AraZombie wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:00 pm
Hello survivors! I was talking with a friend who is an "expert" about survival skills and we were debating about which is the best weapon or tool to carry and we both agreed it was the axe. After that, he showed me this guide https://www.toolazine.com/hatchet-vs-axe-survival/ review some of the new axe model and the possible use it could have. I personally love the Gerber Downrange Tomahawk model. That will be the weapon I would like to carry in the apocalypse. What about you?
In my urban area I would lean towards a "combat" axe if I felt I might get into man to man nonsense. (Would rather avoid it)

If you had forested areas available then a normal axe or hatchet would be of more use
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:46 pm

It really depends on what your area is like. I don't know that many in the Philippin islands like axes unless they are specifically taking down trees. We have a thread kicking around here with some great machete information and I think the machete does most of what most people need to do, and is lighter.

On the other hand, when you need an axe, you NEED an AXE. Not a machete. And there are some places where that is more necessary. In particular, places with more snow and colder climates tend to need axes because you need to build long fires to stay warm. In summer or in more southern climates most people need to clear brush or grass.

But really, let's start where we should have started: what do you plan to use your tools to do? And what is your climate? If you live in the desert of Arizona, or Nevada, I doubt you need an axe or hatchet. But the mountains of Arizona can be a place where an axe or hatchet are more useful.

And using a tool is important, but carrying a tool can weigh you down. I don't usually carry my axe if hiking to a camping area. But if I am driving to a camp ground I like my axe.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 pm

I am not sure there is a one size fits all solution. I tend to use a tomahawk, which is not the same as an axe or a hatchet. I suppose it comes down to skill, preference, geography, and purpose. I am comfortable with a tomahawk because that's the first tool I was handed when I was younger. In a vehicle I would prefer to have all 3 and then some. But if I am limited to what I can carry, I will go with the hawk.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:44 pm

This depends on AO and situation. Often I can get away with a hatchet and small buck saw.

DId a fine job processing that smaller wood.

Hawks are kinda nice as well. I own a few but gotta say in cranking cold when my camp is hungry for larger processed wood give me a larger camp axe and buck saw. This does bring up another topic. When not using a heated shelter I like to employ the fire's energy to do the work for me. Using an edged tool is always a calculated risk IMHO in field conditions. The less I need to use it the better. I could post some pics of firelays if anyone is interested.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:51 pm

MegaWoodsWalker wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:44 pm
I could post some pics of firelays if anyone is interested.
"if anyone is interested" uh..... I'm kind of disappointed you had to ask! Of course we want pics!

OT: I find that for 90% of what I need my machete (heavy duty parang) does everything just as good as an axe and is smaller/lighter. I'm up here in the PNWet and everyone in forums/talking heads always say you need an axe. While I would agree that if you are in a dire survival situation an axe is better for long term survival. But for my camping and other needs its the machete.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:18 pm

Hatchet and a rubber mallet make a good pair for processing wood. Add a folding buck saw and a decent fixed blade knife and you're ready for most anything. :awesome:
Tony D

IANMCDEVITT

Post by IANMCDEVITT » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:28 am

Outland Equipment? I believe ? Their 19" Axe, their big baby. That weapon and a knife from Storm Crow ? And you can do just about anything. Strap that axe on your back, use some tomahawk techniques when it's close quarters, and of course , you can do the wood processing.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Apart from it being occasionally on sale at 11.99 apiece, what's wrong with this? I bought 4 at that price a few years ago, which approximates the cost of a Woods Chogan Tomahawk. No, they do not come razor sharp from the store, nor do they have a sheath fitted. Any competent educated person should be able to sharpen this with a common sharpening stone, and craft a suitable sheath. Here's a picture.

Once the bit is sharpened and a belt sheath fitted it's as good as anything else mentioned here.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:46 pm

A fancier handle if you prefer from Hardcore Hammers:
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:44 am

I am a huge fan of the fiskars because I can use it for knife jobs as well as axe and hammer jobs. The axe is just so sharp and carved and slices so well.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:07 am

jor-el wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Apart from it being occasionally on sale at 11.99 apiece, what's wrong with this?
The key issue is quality control. The areas I'm most familiar with poor QC are in the fitting of the ax head to the shaft and the metallurgy. It can be shifted to the left or right, and off center for swinging. This causes issues with fatigue, accuracy (and therefore: utility), and safety.

A head put on a shaft wrong can also result in a weak shaft and risk breaking prematurely. Low quality wood can also cause this.

Poor quality control on the head can result in soft metal being used, or more likely, a softer heat treat than desired. This causes premature wear on the head and you cannot risk a thinner edge because of the risk of rolling.

A non-expert will not realize the edge needs to be re-profiled from the factory and may take a long time to realize what a proper edge should look like. This blunter edge or misshapen edge can be a safety hazard.

I"m not saying any of this applies to your particular models. Nor am I saying these issues are found on every one of the hatchets of the world selling for $11.99. But I am saying many (most?) models I have examined in hardware stores suffer from some or all of these issues. It is something to be aware of(and I have found these issues in hatchets selling for $30+, but less often). An imperfect tool in the hands of an expert user can be acceptable. An imperfect tool in the hands of a non-expert can be quite the safety hazard. To be fair, a perfect tool in the hands of a non-expert can also be a safety hazard.

Then we can get into discussion of the shape of the edge, and what we prefer, and all that jazz. Not really worth it, IMO. Other places are more willing to discuss those issues.

Just my $.02 on your question.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”