Fun with Paracord! (or) Misadventures with Paracord!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stormdrane

Re: Fun with Paracord! (or) Misadventures with Paracord!

Post by Stormdrane » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:42 am

tony d tiger wrote: What knot(s) is/are this long lanyard?

I need something similar for a trucker's wallet...
It's a spool knit lanyard, 2 peg version. I have a tutorial. ;)

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:00 am

Think I found it on your blog. Two-peg spool knit lanyard @
https://youtu.be/bentrOlcfFs

Lanyard knot might be a little harder to get right, but ought to be better than my current shoelace-daisy chain job. :lol: I've had this wallet about 35 years, and it's gone from the original chain, to an Army boot lace, to a work boot lace... time for something special.

Thanks for putting the info out there, stormdrane.
Tony D

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:37 pm

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/h ... t-33839610Worthless without pics, I know; I'll try to edit/add one to this post soon... it can be seen at the URL if you don't mind checking into a motorcycle forum.

I made a spool from a coffee can, duct tape and pieces of wire hangar; and a spike from hangar also.
Bought 100 feet of 550 cord, and cut a 10 foot length to knit the lanyard. First attempt was too loose, so I think the 550 might be a tad thick to pull into a tight braid - but the second attempt was good enough to keep going with... the la yard knot didn't come out quite right, but overall it's good enough for me.

Fun project.
Tony D

Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:53 am

Camp/scout knife lanyard.

Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I added a leather and paracord handle wrap to a CRKT Woods Nobo tomahawk...

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks for continuing to post here, Stormdrane. I finally looked at a few of your videos and now find myself messing with cord in my office as well. That's a nice group of marlinspikes but I'll admit that it took me a minute to realize the great relevance.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:38 pm

What's the deal with glow in the dark paracord?

I'm all about camo. But after watching that episode of "Alone" where the guy loses his ferro rod. And has to be evacuated because of it. I want to put some bright green glow in the dark paracord on my ferro rods. I found some 9 strand on ebay. I don't need much of it. Just gonna put some loops on each. So I can see them during the day and at night. If I ever accidently put them down.

How long does it glow for? Do you have to hit with light before it glows? For how long will it last? I mean just bright green is probably enough. Even without any glow in the dark. Was just curious.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:11 pm

If you don't care about glow, try some reflective tent cord - shows up well when you shine a light.
Tony D

Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 am

Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am

moab wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm all about camo. But after watching that episode of "Alone" where the guy loses his ferro rod. And has to be evacuated because of it. I want to put some bright green glow in the dark paracord on my ferro rods. I found some 9 strand on ebay. I don't need much of it. Just gonna put some loops on each. So I can see them during the day and at night. If I ever accidently put them down.

How long does it glow for? Do you have to hit with light before it glows? For how long will it last? I mean just bright green is probably enough. Even without any glow in the dark. Was just curious.
As long as the glow-in-the-dark paracord has been exposed to light, to charge it, it'll glow for hours. The glow diminishes quickly, but to dark adapted eyes, it can still be seen. There are some variations of glow paracord that also have reflective tracer thread, and those are also handy for improved visibility when used on items you don't want to drop and lose or set down and forget about. Neon colors can bee good for loss prevention too... :wink:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:38 pm

As Tony said, some reflective cord will serve the purpose just as well, or probably better. If you need some just PM me and I'll cut a length off the 100' hank I keep in my pickup.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:41 am

Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:58 am

Return to “Bug Out Gear”