*Improved*Keep a low profile with 2QT Canteen Mod!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

armored_pig

Post by armored_pig » Thu May 22, 2008 9:28 pm

EDIT: Mods if this is in the wrong place please relocate for me!

I had a leaky canteen, well what good is a leaky canteen?

Then it hit me, who suspects the canteen? It would be an ideal host for concealing a pistol during shtf, especially when you want to keep your head low.

I also had a cheap holster, one of those 7 dollar gun show holsters that seem like a good idea until you take it home and realize you bought a piece of shit..

So a little cutting and a little tinkering: we have this! Possibly my best invention yet! :D

Materials used:
8" of 1.5" web strap
1 2qt canteen
1 2qt canteen cover
1 cheap holster

Last edited by armored_pig on Fri May 23, 2008 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

kaiservontexas

Re: Keep a low profile with Armored Pig's 2QT Canteen Mod!

Post by kaiservontexas » Thu May 22, 2008 10:30 pm

That is awesome!
"Gerechtigkeit vor Vurnunft." German Translation: Righteousness before reason.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 pm

That truly kicks ass. I like it!

I haven't gotten my CCW yet (not old enough), but I was thinking that camping/hiking would probably be one of the places I would definitely want to carry. I was also thinking that any kind of IWB holster or the like would not work at all whilst wearing a pack. This is a very creative solution!
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

armored_pig

Post by armored_pig » Thu May 22, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks!

In true ZS fashion, I'm thinking I should utilize the left over space to include a small survival kit too--without interfering with my pistol/magazine draw..

I think this is my new woods holster, since I scare people with my shoulder rig when I go wheeling..

AP

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu May 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Psh. I think that true ZS fashion would be to use any extra space for either more ammo, or booze.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

docsven

Post by docsven » Thu May 22, 2008 11:04 pm

That rocks !

L.A.Police Gear has 2 qt canteen covers on clearance.

Docsven
Smoking is a filthy habit. I pick my NOSE...but only in the FINEST of RESTAURANTS !

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:19 am

Squirrley wrote:That truly kicks ass. I like it!

I haven't gotten my CCW yet (not old enough), but I was thinking that camping/hiking would probably be one of the places I would definitely want to carry. I was also thinking that any kind of IWB holster or the like would not work at all whilst wearing a pack. This is a very creative solution!
Unless there's a law in your specific state, if you're old enough to post here you're old enough (according to federal law) to have a CCP/CCW.

Also...I freaking love this low profile holster! Your DIY projects always inspire me to do some of my own, AP.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:45 am

Rush2112 wrote:

Unless there's a law in your specific state, if you're old enough to post here you're old enough (according to federal law) to have a CCP/CCW.

Also...I freaking love this low profile holster! Your DIY projects always inspire me to do some of my own, AP.
I'm sorry...I've been away awhile, did ZS impliment an over-21 requirement for the boards recently, or was it always that way and I just never noticed?

armored_pig

Post by armored_pig » Fri May 23, 2008 2:44 am

Rush2112 wrote:

Thank you very much! It means a lot to me that my ideas are appreciated here :D

So upon CCWing this holster all day (including a bike ride to the gym), my experience with it is that its GREAT! Since the mags are tied down by the straps, nothing rattles, it feels solid as it did when I carried water in it, and theres room for a small flashlight too, which is DEFINITELY a good thing to have with you in case of a power outage.

One improvement could be made though, the 1.5" webbing can catch the mag catch notch, so either use 2" webbing, or be sure that the straps are loose enough to allow the mags to be pulled free when you need them. Also note that 33rd mags fit just fine if you are inclined to have the extra ammunition--they bulge the top flap, but not enough for anyone to think you don't have a plain old water canteen on you.

AP

EDIT: Also note that I suspect a larger pistol will fit without issue. So even though I have a glock 19, a full sized pistol should be a-ok to use as well.

EDITED to show some improvements:
Canteen profile with 33rd mag inside
Contents including 33rd mag and flashlight
Paracord anchor (with extra long loose ends in case you need it during shtf)
Drainage hole
Parachord anchor to the bottom gromet (note that there is another hole in the canteen just above the gromet, so the canteen can be tied to the carrier).

I anchored the canteen to the carrier even though the canteen does not pull out when drawing the weapon--this is just a precautionary measure.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:09 am

TDW586 wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:

I'm sorry...I've been away awhile, did ZS impliment an over-21 requirement for the boards recently, or was it always that way and I just never noticed?
Nope, still 18.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

elricfate

Re: *Improved*Keep a low profile with 2QT Canteen Mod!

Post by elricfate » Fri May 23, 2008 6:07 am

The other thing you could do is add a small water bladder attached to the spout. Like a ziploc baggie or something, so if someone wanted to see you pour water from your Canteen to prove it's real (or you wanted to prove to them you were of no consequence because all you had was water) you could then just unscrew the cap and dump a little out.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:12 am

elricfate wrote:The other thing you could do is add a small water bladder attached to the spout. Like a ziploc baggie or something, so if someone wanted to see you pour water from your Canteen to prove it's real (or you wanted to prove to them you were of no consequence because all you had was water) you could then just unscrew the cap and dump a little out.
I can't see someone coming up to me while I held a water bottle and saying "Prove there isn't a gun in there!"
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 am

I like this. Keeping a low profile during a bug out is going to be a huge deal. Any mass movement of people during a bug out is going to have LEO and NG forces around - not enough to do any real good, but enough to pound you if they decide to.

This would be more comfortable on a long haul than my IWB. I have an old uncle mike's retention holster that would do this well.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri May 23, 2008 7:13 am

Rush2112 wrote:
elricfate wrote:The other thing you could do is add a small water bladder attached to the spout. Like a ziploc baggie or something, so if someone wanted to see you pour water from your Canteen to prove it's real (or you wanted to prove to them you were of no consequence because all you had was water) you could then just unscrew the cap and dump a little out.
I can't see someone coming up to me while I held a water bottle and saying "Prove there isn't a gun in there!"
That's not the point. The point is if you made a move to your canteen and someone caught it... they would probably point a gun your way (think prisoner of the moment in front of someone threatening you with a rifle because they think you might be a threat to them and look like a raider or something). You could then unstrap the canteen and pour a little water out, allaying their fears you were doing anything threatening...

Then draw and fire.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

ImfromtheGovt

Post by ImfromtheGovt » Fri May 23, 2008 7:38 am

Rush2112 wrote: Unless there's a law in your specific state, if you're old enough to post here you're old enough (according to federal law) to have a CCP/CCW.
I don't know about Oregon, but I know in FL you have to be 21 to purchase a Handgun or handgun ammo *AND* to get a CCW. Funny loophole, though, because according to the law, you can still OWN a handgun at 18, you just can't purchase one.

One of my buddies back in Highschool had his mom buy him a .357 revolver on his 18th b-day, and they went straight to the Police Station and registered it in his name. He rode a sportbike (A Honda Interceptor... this was 1987 mind you) and would *LEGALLY* keep the gun in a holster strapped to the top of his gas tank on the bike! :lol:

/thread hijack
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves"

-Ronald Regan

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Fri May 23, 2008 7:55 am

That is pretty ingenious. :D

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri May 23, 2008 8:06 am

ImfromtheGovt wrote:
Rush2112 wrote: Unless there's a law in your specific state, if you're old enough to post here you're old enough (according to federal law) to have a CCP/CCW.
I don't know about Oregon, but I know in FL you have to be 21 to purchase a Handgun or handgun ammo *AND* to get a CCW. Funny loophole, though, because according to the law, you can still OWN a handgun at 18, you just can't purchase one.

It is my understanding that this is the case in CO, also. 21 to get stuff, but if poppy gives you a handgun at 18 thats OK too.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:26 am

Squirrley wrote:
ImfromtheGovt wrote:

It is my understanding that this is the case in CO, also. 21 to get stuff, but if poppy gives you a handgun at 18 thats OK too.
See, there ya go! Get to work on that canteen!
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Fri May 23, 2008 8:59 am

Armored_pig: You, sir, are a genius.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

LittleTeapot
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LittleTeapot » Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 am

Chiming in a little late, but DAAAAAAAAAAM!!

That rocks. Amazing work, armored_pig.
Insert Witty Signature Here

>>> Join Zombie Squad

dbruce

Post by dbruce » Fri May 23, 2008 9:25 am

Armored_pig,

Just a quick question.

Are the canteen covers right handed or left handed?

Looks like both in the pictures.

Thanks

dbruce

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Fri May 23, 2008 10:53 am

Still Hating. :) I like this idea. Yet another thing to have to mess with.
Good idea, thanks for sharing.
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Fri May 23, 2008 11:23 am

Do you secure it to your belt, or does the bag move freely? Does this affect quick access to your pistol?

Nice rig. Good to see the dead canteen had a useful purpose after all.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Fri May 23, 2008 2:24 pm

I like it. This is one of those ideas where you say to yourself, "Now we didn't I think of that?"

I like the fact that is can hold spare mags too but carrying your spare mags strong side is a bad idea. I'd toy with the idea of cutting the top of the 2qt pouch along the seem that is against your body and attaching it with a couple of snaps or velcro. Seems like it'd be easier to present if you didn't have to undo the clip and then lift the flap up.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”