British 24 Hour Ration-Pack Review

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Big and Daft

Re: British 24 Hour Ration-Pack Review

Post by Big and Daft » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:33 pm

I had most of a ration pack for my tea tonight (i've been left alone for nearly a week and couldn't be arsed making a real meal for myself and I have no spare cash for a takeaway)
I had the biscuits brown and biscuits fruit with the chicken and herb 'pate' spread on them earlier today as a snack and I must say it was nice, tasty and well I was shocked! I also had the hot-chocolate and a yorkie bar, both were very good again. The boiled sweets are alright, nothing special but OK and they are full of sugar.
For my main meal I had meatballs and pasta, tasted good but a little bland but i've made myself much worse so no problems there. Then I had a treacle pudding for pudding and fuck me, was it sweet, felt like the sugar melted my teeth. It wasn't great the treacle was like thick water and the pudding was a solid block - but its high in calories. I also had a coffee (technically I had both of the coffees in one cup as I have a very large cup) it seemed like it had a higher caffeine content than normal coffee. I assumed this because of the headache and twitchiness I still have - but it will keep you awake if need be.
All in all, really good, if your wern't doing anything too strenuous and single 24hr ration pack could last you two days. I will be buying a few more, just in case.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:18 pm

Where did you buy yours from?

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I think it was from http://www.ratpacks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it was a couple of months ago now and I think I found the link here on ZS. Unfortunatley they are now out of stock of everything, but IIRC they were the cheapest I had come across - they seem to run for about a tenner everywhere I look now. Sometimes there is a bloke on eBay who sells off individual items, they cost a little more but you can pick and choose what you want.

EDIT - http://www.soldierstuff.co.uk/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; these sell the idividual meals, 5 of the same for £9, not a bad start - Iwill be buying some from them, just not the tooth melting treacle pudding :)

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:18 am

FYI, you can also buy the main parts of the rat packs such as dinner, breakfast etc. from a camping company called Cotswold Outdoors. They come in commercial packaging but are exactly the same thing as in the rat packs.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:24 am

Yes, its the Wayfayrer food range - who have just brought out a Pilau Rice meal and a seperate Chicken Tikka Masala meal, they sound quite nice and decent filling meal.

bingobadgo

Post by bingobadgo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:25 am

Where is the best place to get in date ratpacks? My local surplus shop sells them but they are always about 3 years old, which doesnt give much useful life left. I bought one last winter and just tried the fruit dumplings in custard. They were potentially quite nice, the custard even had nutmeg in it, but were clearly years past their best. Is there anywhere to get these freshly packed?
Beware the badger uprising

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 am

Like the posts a few above said, try checking out the wayfarer packs from Cotswold stores. They are the same as the boil-in-the-bags found in the UK rations.

Even if they are a few years old though, the meals are usually perfectly edible. I doubt they would do you any harm, even if they don't taste great. If you're bugging out, as long as it gets fuel in you, you'll be alright. Besides, in my experience when you are wet and cold, any hot 'food' tastes great!
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:15 am

A few questions:

1.) WTF are boiled sweets?

2.) WTF is treacle pudding?

3.) How big is the individual rat pack box?

4.) Are they like MREs in that they have a given shelf life before being surplussed out, but so long as the retort packaging isn't compromised, they have an indefinite shelf life (at the expense of flavor as they get older?
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:40 am

JollyRoger762 wrote:A few questions:

1.) WTF are boiled sweets?

2.) WTF is treacle pudding?

3.) How big is the individual rat pack box?

4.) Are they like MREs in that they have a given shelf life before being surplussed out, but so long as the retort packaging isn't compromised, they have an indefinite shelf life (at the expense of flavor as they get older?
1: Image

2: Image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacle_pudding" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3: Off the top of my head, I'd say that the boxes are about 8"x7"x5"

4: They are like MRE's in that they don't really go bad, like you said, but just go a bit wrong. I've eaten some pretty ancient rat packs before. As for being sold as surplus, I don't know what the actual proceedure is for the old ones. Knowing the UK, they are probably just destroyed and if you try to sell them as surplus you may be a terrorist (which is apparently what you are if you own any field manuals too).

Big and Daft

Post by Big and Daft » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:42 am

1 - Boiled sweets are hard candy, in a few different flavours.
2 - Treacle pudding is like a cake type thing with treacle/golden syrup sauce. Delia expains it better than I.
3 - The box is about 9"x9"x4" or there abouts, but as mentioned previously it can be split down.
4 - I'd assume the same things happen, but i'm not 100%. Most of the rations i've found have a date of manufacture of about 2003/2004, so they might store them for 4 or 5 years and then sell them on? I think they will last damn near forever, but as you say its at the expense of flavour.

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 pm

They only come in boxes so that the honourable members of her majesties Royal Logistics Corp can stack them in nice neat piles on shelves, one box, one meal, keeps things simple for the blanket stackers and combat slop jockeys.

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:36 pm

zoiders wrote:They only come in boxes so that the honourable members of her majesties Royal Logistics Corp can stack them in nice neat piles on shelves, one box, one meal, keeps things simple for the blanket stackers and combat slop jockeys.
Steady on! The RLC might not be in combat daily, but without resupply neither would any other soldiers in our forces. It's all very easy to poke fun at them, but if you were shot up in the ME I'd bet you'd be pretty glad that there were supplies to treat you.

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:24 pm

OK, thanks so:

1.) boiled sweets are hard candy
2.) treacle pudding is some sort of alien larvae (judging by the picture)
3.) The boxes are f-ing huge
4.) Like most military rations, their real life is probably only eclipsed by twinkies and SPAM.
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:10 pm

JollyRoger762 wrote: 3.) The boxes are f-ing huge
I don't think they are that big, but maybe it's just because they are what I am used to. Obviously they are bigger than an MRE, but British rations contain a whole day's food (probably more). I've got some boxes of them in my flat, they really aren't that big.

Oh, and treacle pudding is nice, despite its appearance. Got to have it with custard though, that's non-negotiable. It's definitely not as weird as some other British puddings, after all, we eat one called 'spotted dick'...

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Well, now that I think about it (happens every now and then), I guess for a full day's food, they aren't that big.

Now what is it with the English and their pudding? You guys seem to have a friggin pudding for everything. Is pudding to the English what apple pie is to Americans?

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:57 pm

JollyRoger762 wrote:Well, now that I think about it (happens every now and then), I guess for a full day's food, they aren't that big.

Now what is it with the English and their pudding? You guys seem to have a friggin pudding for everything. Is pudding to the English what apple pie is to Americans?

Pudding unlike america is more of a generic term for dessert items.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Steak And Kidney pudding is the best Main Meal food item in the Ration Pack.

I don't know why more people don't eat offal. I managed to make a US Marine feel Queasy when I described Haggis, but Haggis is very tasty.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Urban Fox

Post by Urban Fox » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:05 am

Has anyone tested if an MRE heater will fit the pouches?

(both the biscuit types are great)
Last edited by Urban Fox on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:35 am

I really don't think that the meal pouches will fit in an MRE heater. British Rations are about twice the size of an MRE, but I doubt that you could fold it or squish it into an MRE heater.

I must confess that I didn't really get what you were on about in the rest of your post, sorry.

Urban Fox

Post by Urban Fox » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:11 am

Sorry, I hope it is now more readable. Thanks for the infomation on the MRE heater size, I've been wondering for some time.

TC

Post by TC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:07 am

Urban Fox wrote:Sorry, I hope it is now more readable. Thanks for the infomation on the MRE heater size, I've been wondering for some time.
Don't worry about it. It's my fault really, I was in a bit of a rush and didn't really have time to read your post properly before I tried to answer the question. Glad I was able to tell you what you wanted to know though.

I suppose, in theory, you could use the inside of the MRE heater (the granules of chemicals wrapped in paper) and use them in a bag that the British ration would fit in, but you'd need to find a way to insulate it like the MRE box does.

Urban Fox

Post by Urban Fox » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:05 am

I'll stick to hexamine then thanks. It also lets you make the soup up so no huge loss :)

ant69
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by ant69 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:51 am

I had recieved both a Canadian and a Brit Rat pack I tried the Canadian and found it to be a nice change to the U.S. MRE's I still have to break out the Brit pack and try it. I think it would be a great way to break up the monotony for purposes of morale in a long term seclusion or survival situation. Athough I think the same thing could be accomplished easily with various canned goods and a small garden. Ant
I have no signature so that I will not offend anyone by exercising my freedom of expression or by bringing to light the follies of the less informed! Thank You. Ant

zoiders

Post by zoiders » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:39 pm

TC wrote:
zoiders wrote:They only come in boxes so that the honourable members of her majesties Royal Logistics Corp can stack them in nice neat piles on shelves, one box, one meal, keeps things simple for the blanket stackers and combat slop jockeys.
Steady on! The RLC might not be in combat daily, but without resupply neither would any other soldiers in our forces. It's all very easy to poke fun at them, but if you were shot up in the ME I'd bet you'd be pretty glad that there were supplies to treat you.
Hurling light hearted abuse at members of other corps or regiments is a time honoured tradition

It doesnt mean I think any less of them or that I dont know what they do - RLC provide transport, logistical support, assault pioneers, bomb disposal, mail men, cooks - the list continues

They will still be known as the combat slop jockeys though :wink:

Return to “Bug Out Gear”