F@!*ING THIEVES!!!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Molon Labe

F@!*ING THIEVES!!!

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:44 am

My BOB?- GONE! :evil:
My Sub-2000?- GONE! :evil:
ALL MY FUCKING GEAR THAT I COLLECTED FOR OVER 4 YEARS?!!- FUCKING GONE! :evil:
They even took my precious Fallkniven A1. :cry:

I made so much noise after walking thru the apartment, that I didn't even have time to call the police, my neighbors did it out of concern to "WTF is going on over there?"
My PS3 was not even a month old. I have nothing left. All I own (preperation wise) is what makes up my EDC and GHB. AHHH! FUCKING DAMNIT!
I'm gonna have to start all over again. No more SOF ruck, no more rifle, jacket, vest, boots, ammo, everything that was in the ruck itself. Clothing, FAK, Lights, random equipment. Atleast I keep my cliff bars seperate until packing. I'm gonna have to get one of those $20.00 German rucks from Cabela's. Oh for fucks sakes! All that was left was my old duffle from my time spent in service. Probably because it smells like a cross between play-doh, vomit and CS gas.
I've reported the Sub as stolen. As well as the knife (for all the good it will do.)
Guess it's time to start building again.
Seriously, WTF?! People, this is why you need good quality locks on your doors. The shitheads drilled mine out. No one even suspected or saw anything. But I have a notion that it might be one of my room mates old acquaintances. He blabbed about my preperation "paranoia" to all his friends, so it could be any of them. If it was them at all, that is.

If anyone comes across any deals on gear, mid-range quality on up, could you inform me? I apologize if any of my responses to the other threads will come off as a bit cross. I have a feeling that I'm gonna be pissed for awhile to come.
I'm typing this from work by the way. So I won't be posting quite so often for now.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:00 am

Dude, I honestly got a lump in my throat reading that. I've been robbed before and it was the most violated and helpless I've ever felt in my whole life. You have my condolences.

Keep us posted, especially if you track any of those bastards down.

I'm off to assess my home security situation.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

BlackBear

Post by BlackBear » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:10 am

My condolences go out to you.

I know nothing I can say can make it better, but know that if it could, I'd say it.

And, as crappy and lame as it's going to sound, at least you have your life and the knowledge you've accumulated. It's going to suck replacing it all, but at least now you know what you need.

Take care, and good luck. Give 'em hell.

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:26 am

Dude... sorry to hear about your loss. Did the bastards take anything (aside from the PS3) else of considerable value? If not, that seriously leads me to believe it was somebody who knew what they were looking for to begin with. Common thieves don't usually see a backpack and say, " man that looks like a good steal," its usually, "find the most expensive and easily sold shit in here and get the fuck out."

Have you posted your packs here on the forum? If so, that is a good start for tracking your stuff. Print out any pics along with a list of items and pop by your local pawn shops and hand them a copy... it is illegal in most states for a pawn dealer to accept stolen property (as it makes them accesories to theft... possesion is .9 of the law), so they should gladly accept your "report," so to speak. If your stuff does come through their door, if they are decent shop owners, they should pawn the items (that will give them all of the thief's information) and then call the police and you so charges can be filed.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:03 am

ToddGray wrote: Did the bastards take anything (aside from the PS3) else of considerable value?
Have you posted your packs here on the forum?
Shit. The fucking pack alone was over $240.00 and that was about 4 years ago! The Sub was $320.00. The Fallkniven- $140.00. FUCKING SHIT!! All of it was quality!
Atleast my Ruger was at the smith's getting tuned. It's gonna be a Birthday gift for my future father-in law. He's into Western looks.
I never posted any pics due to the fact that my cameras are usually just disposable units.
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."

hometown slugger
Location: on your roof, ripping the shit out of your shingles

Post by hometown slugger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:09 am

Did you have pictures of the sub-2000 or have the Serial # written down?

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 am

hometown slugger wrote:Did you have pictures of the sub-2000 or have the Serial # written down?
Yeah. I made copies of the serial# and handed it over to the officers that made the report.

hometown slugger

Post by hometown slugger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:23 am

Molon labe wrote:Yeah. I made copies of the serial# and handed it over to the officers that made the report.
You could report it to insurance and get compensation Blue book value, but if it is found it is no longer yours, your call.

I know, your options suck but hang in there

Good luck :(

Capt Cook
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by Capt Cook » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:12 am

This is one reason why we don't tell other people about the gear we have.
We tell them to get prepared but we don't tell them what we already have.
I may sound a bit paranoid but without a truly secure location to lock it all up we can't be telling too many people what we have.
My neighborhood isn't bad but there are plenty of poor people around here & the kids do most of the petty theft.
Heck, they even went into my car & stole my cellphone charger, a nice pocket knife & my nail clippers. Well, at least they will be well groomed thieves.
Had the idiots looked in the trunk they would have gotten all my tools too!
Friends help you move.
Real friends help you move bodies!

Loquinho
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead 2004, Zombieland

Post by Loquinho » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:15 am

If you have renters insurance you might be able to make a claim for the overall value of your loaded pack etc. in order to replace its contents. It depends on what your renters insurance covers (if you have any). Many of them do cover theft, however. If you've got a police report that the break in occurred, that's a good start to making a claim with the company. Still, the thief just caused you a huge amount of work and possibly money, and that sucks.
"[Girl], don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
- Malcom Reynolds

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:16 am

Dude I am so sorry to hear about that. They'll get theirs though. I hope you get all your stuff back though. I'll definitely keep an eye out as well.
ImageImage

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 am

Start going to local gun shows, flea markets and pawn shops. Check the for sale ads in local paper and see if anything turns up.

Sorry for your loss.. that really does suck.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 am

Bloody hell. Keep an eye out on Ebay and Gunbroker for people shipping stuff like yours from your area. You might get lucky. My heart goes out to you on this one mate. That really sucks.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 am

Okay, I know this is no time to make a joke. And I really do grieve for your loss... I don't know how I'd handle years of hard work down the drain because of some asshole drilling out my lock.

However, at least said thieves will be prepared when the zombies come a knockin'.

/me shuffles off to the banned portion of the website for bad humor.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:38 am

elricfate wrote:Okay, I know this is no time to make a joke. And I really do grieve for your loss... I don't know how I'd handle years of hard work down the drain because of some asshole drilling out my lock.

However, at least said thieves will be prepared when the zombies come a knockin'.

/me shuffles off to the banned portion of the website for bad humor.
You flip baby kittens the finger, don't you?

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:42 am

Molon labe wrote: You flip baby kittens the finger, don't you?
No ... I love baby kittens. They taste good with duck sauce.

But on a serious note, I'd really like for you to find this kid, or kids, and string them up by their toes. :-(
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:47 am

Sorry man, being the/a victim sucks.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

kincet

Post by kincet » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:04 am

My sympathies, man.
I've been in a similar situation (but not as devastating).
Karma is non-exclusive, and the perps will get theirs. Especially when you come knocking at their front door.
Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is that little-death that brings total annihilation. I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me. When it has gone I will turn my inner-eye to see its path. Where it has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Valekhai

Re: F@!*ING THIEVES!!!

Post by Valekhai » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:20 am

Molon labe wrote:People, this is why you need good quality locks on your doors. The shitheads drilled mine out. No one even suspected or saw anything.
I kinda scared me when I learned to drill out locks and realized how easy it is. I won't do it around the students anymore (even if it's their room I'm getting in to, I'll ask them to leave for awhile) because I don't want them to see how to do it. If you have a cordless drill and aren't worried about the noise, you can break in to just about any kind of lock that a person would typically have on their door.
I'm sorry for your loss.
I'm guarding the hooooouuuuuse.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:46 am

Jesus! That SUCKS. like that is Not cool, at ALL. I think I'm gonna start inventorying my gear.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Maddie

Post by Maddie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:59 am

Oh man! I feel for you! I've had stuff stolen, and very little makes me angrier! Is that stuff all they took? If it was, you know it's probably someone in your circle of friends or a friend of your friends. Start a rumor that a neighbor saw someone at the door for a suspicious length of time, saw him come out with a pack and something else, and got a make on the vehicle, and that the police think there's a good chance they'll get the guy. If they ask you if the guy was alone or any other questions, tell them you're not supposed to say anything about it yet and smile knowingly (see if your friends gets nervous!). Maybe you can rattle someone enough that they try to get rid of the stuff fast. Also, make sure you notify any local firing ranges of the theft, as well as the pawn shops and gun dealers. If that's the only thing stolen, it might have been someone who wanted the gun for himself and can't resist the urge to go play with it.

And don't completely give up hope. I've had friends who have gotten their guns back and others who have gotten their camping/caving gear back after it was stolen. A lot of petty thieves do get caught with the goods.

Grace

Post by Grace » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:05 am

I've heard about this happening to someone before (she kept her BOB in her car, which was broken into), and I can only imagine how devastating it is. Hang in there, and a big +1 to looking on eBay and checking flea markets. You have my utmost sympathies.
I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. And since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 am

Damn ML. I can't imagine the frustration. Here's hoping they aren't smart enough to unload the stuff without getting pinched.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

hometown slugger

Post by hometown slugger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:08 am

If you do find who did it, play the inquizitive buyer, not enough to scare him (or her) off, just enough for more info for the police to move in and bring the sucker down hard. :wink:

Return to “Bug Out Gear”