It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hammock question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 pm 

So i'm going to be buying a double nest hammock with a pad sleeve this year (re: eno reactor or the like). My question is this. I live in mosquito central (alabama). For those of you who have expierence with back packing / camping with a hammock, do you prefer a bug net or a thermacell? The reason I ask is after looking at a rain tarp, mosquito net, hammock and all the hardware to mount it, i'm looking at a packed size BIGGER than a light weight tent and almost the same weight. So what sayith the hive mind.

and before it's recommended, i'm not joining yet ANOTHER forum to ask this question.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: hammock question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 pm 

if you haven't bought a hammock yet i would look into one with an integrated bug net like the warbonnet black bird. that is what i use here in Florida. also i find that after you ad the hammock and tarp you get a similar size and weight to a lightweight tent the difference is with the comfort you gain from sleeping of the ground.
hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 pm 

Hennessy.....

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I'd look into one with an integrated netting. Something that you won't have to modify to add a ridgeline to (like I did with my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter) I usually don't backpack/camp much when the bugs are bad as I like the openness of the hammock. You can also hit your hammock with permethrin to give you a bit of added protection (just keep the cats away as you're applying it..)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:54 pm 

If you stick with Eno, get the single nest over the double. The double is just wider and mine keeps trying to wrap me up like a burrito.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:51 am 

Ryder358 wrote:
If you stick with Eno, get the single nest over the double. The double is just wider and mine keeps trying to wrap me up like a burrito.

Personal difference for me 6' 220-225lbs broad sholders and huge legs.... double is well worth the added weight. But if you live down there you'd definitely want one with integrated bug net. not joke.... even might want a little extra protection because they will come at you THROUGH the hammock.....

So good luck I'm just getting into hammock camping but it's WAY better then slumming it in a tent.... Especially on clear nights with no bugs, nothing like it.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Halfapint wrote:
Ryder358 wrote:

Personal difference for me 6' 220-225lbs broad sholders and huge legs.... double is well worth the added weight. But if you live down there you'd definitely want one with integrated bug net. not joke.... even might want a little extra protection because they will come at you THROUGH the hammock.....

So good luck I'm just getting into hammock camping but it's WAY better then slumming it in a tent.... Especially on clear nights with no bugs, nothing like it.

+1 to getting the double. I'm like 5'8"(9"?) and 150lbs soaking wet. I made the hammock that I sleep in every night to the specs of a double. I really enjoy the room to sprawl out/sleep on my side during those restless nights. Also make sure you have your insulation beneath you squared away. It'll also help keep the skeeters from biting you through the bottom of the hammock :oh:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:24 pm 

so definately net over the thermacell then? i think i'm leaning towards one of the hennesy hammocks, but can't seem to find a picture of one stuffed....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:05 pm 

Mags said the only word necessary in this thread. Hennessy. I wish I'd never bought my ENO. :(

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:46 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

SkidvonArk wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
Ryder358 wrote:

+1 to getting the double. I'm like 5'8"(9"?) and 150lbs soaking wet. I made the hammock that I sleep in every night to the specs of a double. I really enjoy the room to sprawl out/sleep on my side during those restless nights. Also make sure you have your insulation beneath you squared away. It'll also help keep the skeeters from biting you through the bottom of the hammock :oh:

Once got maybe 50 bites through the bottom of my HH on an exposed leg. :shock: It was the high point in bug season. The air was thick with them. 99 percent of the time I have my sil nylon undercover which is bite proof but not that night. Bad memories for sure. Good advice on cold back which can be an issue even in summer for some locations.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:59 am 
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Also consider a hammock with two layers of nylon on the bottom as is available on the Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. Very tough for mosquitoes to bite through, dare I say impossible?

-Jeff

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:26 pm 

I've never used a Warbonnet Blackbird or Henessey, but they seem... much more expensive than they need to be.

I'm happy with my Hammock Bliss netted-hammock and I got that on-sale for $69 I think? http://hammockbliss.com/no-see-um-no-more
I haven't gone out of my way to hang it in a swamp or anything, but I never got a bite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:42 pm 

+15 to the Hennessey. They are a bit heavy, but by the time you pack the bug net, tarp, and ridge line, you haven't saved much for weight going with another make. The A-symetrical design is comfortable too, there is no ground pad I've found yet that compares to a hammock. Heed the advice about the under insulation....A light breeze on a 70 degree night will leave you colder than a well digger in January. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:47 pm 

my interst is peaked on that no-see-um.... wondering if they come with a fly...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:03 am 

I'm looking to buy a no-see-um hammock. I think they are the ideal compromise for a BoB or GHB. Being in Fl. the netting is crucial. My budget is sub $100 but I would like to buy 2 (BoB and GHB), so $200 is a bit much. Maybe I could compromise with a better hammock for my BoB and a less expensive one for the GHB. For a lesser expensive one, the Blue Sky hammocks have gotten fairly good reviews and Wally World just dropped the price to $42 from $49. This may be my GHB hammock. I always worry though when I cheapen up.

Agreed on the bottom protection. Clothes, a sleeping bag liner and a SOL bivy are what I have now. I need to figure out if moquitos can penetrate mylar :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:10 pm 

Simply Light Designs has what you need Toxoph

But your wrong. Dead wrong.

GET EM IN THE HEAD!!!

MAXPEDITION MINI CHEST RIG IN BLACK NEVER USED, SEND PM.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I used a old army hammock for years before I ponied up for a hennesy, they are a cheap alternative if your just starting with hammocks and want to try it out before spending more.

ZS#4545

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:51 pm 

1. At least read Hammock Forums if you don't want to join.

2. If you think for a second your going to get into "hanging", spend the cash on good gear. I'm leaning Warbonnet or Dream.

I've got an ENO double-nest and ENO bug net, it is a 2 piece system. I was at an outdoor shop last year and got these for a smoking deal as they wanted to move stuff for the holidays.

I'm running a Thermo rest ridge rest mat, Kammock Python straps, and a Warbonnet Superfly tarp. Little on the heavy side but, I'm still in the learning mode and planning on something from one of the above.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 pm 

Brunt The Grunt wrote:
Simply Light Designs has what you need Toxoph

Those are nice, thanks Grunt. Wish they had better pictures though :vmad:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:20 pm 

Dragon80 wrote:
Mags said the only word necessary in this thread. Hennessy. I wish I'd never bought my ENO. :(

Mags also owns a Clark :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 pm 

Dragon80 wrote:

I have both a Hennessy and a ENO, and for over the top mosquitos I prefer....the ENO bug net (with some minor modifications).

Here is why. If you sleep in a hammock shelter in a bad mosquito area on hot days when you are not using a sleeping bag, they will bite thru the hammock material and get you along your back and ass. Some folks spray their hammock with mosquito repellant. The ENO bug net avoids this because it surrounds the entire hammock with plenty of space. For the record if you get the CHEAPER version of the Hennessy this is less of an issue because the hammock is made of thicker heavier polyester, verses the thinner Nylon that the lightweight models are made out of.

Also if the area is real buggy and you want to sit up (if your big and heavy, most likely with your legs crossed) or move around to get changed you can in the ENO while still remaining in the bug net. With a Hennessy sitting up and going with the lounge chair mode you need to lose the bug net.

The ENO bug net also makes a decent half ass gear hammock, bottom quilt holder but its easy to tax it with too much weight and ripping it.

However the ENO Bug Net fails on so many other levels. You need to mod the ends, if not you will have thumb size gaps that be a big enough hole to let all types of creepy crawlers in. Usually its solved with some sort of improvised baffle, or tying it down with some paracord. I personally use the Hennessy more simply because the complete set is so easy to put up and take down. ENO with everything being separate is a royal PITA compared to Hennessy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:05 pm 

i think probably i'm going to go with the hennessy with a pad sleeve. the sleeve coupled with the thicker material and bug net should do what i want. if not, i'll sell it and get something different

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:34 am 

calicojack wrote:
i think probably i'm going to go with the hennessy with a pad sleeve. the sleeve coupled with the thicker material and bug net should do what i want. if not, i'll sell it and get something different

We started with Hennessy and are now using WBBB hammocks. Our Hennessy's were the original bottom-entry versions; I would strongly recommend going with the side entry for several reasons and the extra weight of a double-layer hammock is offset by use of a sleeping pad and avoiding butt-bites. Additionally, every spring (around May), I'll spray down all the hammocks (and other gear) with Permethrin which lasts us all summer and into the fall.

Lastly, the only issue I've had with Hennessy is their rain fly setup. Being integrated is a nice consideration but fails in other areas. It's easily fixed, but I would make your fly a stand-alone, and you may need a slightly bigger fly because of it. First, it makes it easier to put up and take down your hammock while keeping you and your gear dry when raining. Second, it gives you more maneuver room when on in your hammock, but along side and even when lounging. Lastly, you can use your fly as a temporary shelter when it's really getting ready to downpour and you just want to take a break, cook a little lunch and just wait out a more severe storm without getting soaked or huddled under a tree with a poncho.

It's true that a cold-weather hammock set up will equal or exceed a light-weight tent set up, but I continue to rationalize the benefits and more importantly the comfort. I did a trip with a couple of guys from our church and a half-dozen youth. Only one kid was using a tent (borrowed from me) and the last day we were packing out it started raining steady at 0500. The two men and one kid had the excellent Clark hammocks and two of the boys were using Hennessy hammocks. I had to help the boy with breaking down the tent and it sucked...I hate taking down tents in the rain if it wasn't for my fly, all his stuff would have been muddy and wet. Unless temperatures are consistently below 20 degrees, you'll find me hanging in comfort!

Maybe my old ass is just getting soft, but I picked up a Jacks-R-Better under-quilt (dri-down) and comfort is even better in colder weather. Additionally, I upgraded from a simple AHE canary cut fly to a WB Super Fly that can pretty much seal off the hammock like a tent. It really reduces the affects of convection and makes your sleeping pad and/or under-quilt more efficient.

ROCK6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:00 am 

So far i'm torn between the WBBB in m/c, the hennesy explorer XL (cause i'm 6'4 200lbs), and the No-See-Um (for price alone, just to see if i'm going to like it). I looked at the clark, and the only one that struck my fancy was the double... and it was $649.......