It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm 

Hoshun wrote:
Does anyone have experience with using the whole MSS? What are your opinions on the bags?

I used it a lot in the army. I think it's the best piece of gear I was ever issued.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:45 pm 

Where are you guys paying those prices at? I think my search-fu is weak or something but all I get is the whole system and it is expensive.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

search for bivvy, then bivy, then bivvie, then bivie.

People dont know how to spell.

My MSS bivvy bag just arrived in the mail, $46 shipped from http://myworld.ebay.com/gruntgear

It looks in damn near unused condition. Nothing looks frayed or worn or damaged or even rumpled. It looks like someone took off the shrinkwrap and stuck it in a foot locker for a few years.

For what it's worth, I think the sleeping bags in the MSS are too cold. I found the black heavy bag to be too cold to use by itself in 28-30F weather, and it says it's rated to -10 by itself. It'd be way too heavy to carry along with the green patrol bag.

The bags are designed to be slept in in a full uniform, I think.

I plan on using the bivvy as a bugout shelter along with a tarp and ground cloth, and maybe as a UL backpacking solution along with a mosquito net. I dont know if I'll like it as much as a tent though. I like having somewhere to spread out all my gear at night and while I'm at camp.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:07 am 

crypto wrote:
I plan on using the bivvy as a bugout shelter along with a tarp and ground cloth

Yea, thats pretty much what I'm gonna do with my MSS, minus the Intermediate Bag. Won't need that here in Central Florida as its not cold enough for that. Maybe if I go somewhere incredibly cold I would take it, but otherwise its gonna sit unused. The bivvy, patrol bag, green tarp and extra rain poncho are all going into my compression stuff sack, which will be secured to the bottom of my ALICE rucksack.

Μολὼν λάβε

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:25 pm 

I'm bidding on one from gruntgear right now. I'm bidding against a guy that has bought 4 from grunt gear already. Hmmmm.

Crypto I love Willy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:37 pm 

crypto wrote:

I think the larger problem is that there is no agreed upon spelling. They are actually called bivouac sacks. Any of the shortened versions is probably acceptable, but I think the most agreed upon version is "bivy." No need to throw an extra v in there IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:11 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Bump (and necro), due to all the new bivy posts coming in from new forum members. :)

I also just ordered one off Ebay for under $50 and look forward to using it soon with my Softie Elite 2.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:10 pm 

crypto wrote:

My MSS bivvy bag just arrived in the mail, $46 shipped from http://myworld.ebay.com/gruntgear

It looks in damn near unused condition. Nothing looks frayed or worn or damaged or even rumpled. It looks like someone took off the shrinkwrap and stuck it in a foot locker for a few years.

For what it's worth, I think the sleeping bags in the MSS are too cold. I found the black heavy bag to be too cold to use by itself in 28-30F weather, and it says it's rated to -10 by itself. It'd be way too heavy to carry along with the green patrol bag.

I plan on using the bivvy as a bugout shelter along with a tarp and ground cloth, and maybe as a UL backpacking solution along with a mosquito net. I dont know if I'll like it as much as a tent though. I like having somewhere to spread out all my gear at night and while I'm at camp.

They are NOT intended to be slept in in full uniform. You're supposed to strip down to your underwear. You will be much warmer if you do.

Yes, I'm aware that this seems counter-intuitive. But I have used the USGI sleep system many, many times, and in really freaking cold places (Afghani mountains in winter=cold).

" Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back. " - Malcolm Reynolds

"I think it's definitely bad form to get killed for lack of shooting back." - tilt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

If it is sub zero I will wear a fleece hood, sock and base layer. Mostly I wear my boxers, fleece hood and socks. The hat is something that is needed.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:26 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

ude garami wrote:

They are NOT intended to be slept in in full uniform. You're supposed to strip down to your underwear. You will be much warmer if you do.

Yes, I'm aware that this seems counter-intuitive. But I have used the USGI sleep system many, many times, and in really freaking cold places (Afghani mountains in winter=cold).

Man, I dunno. Last weekend I was sleeping in a tent in 15F, and I used my MSS setup with the green and black bags. I needed socks and a base layer to stay comfortable, and I'm usually pretty tolerant of cold.

I'm not buying that the MSS can achieve it's rated comfort level in anything less than the ECWCS base layer. Either that, or the DoD has substantially looser definitions of 'comfort' than the civilian market, which is also quite possible.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:44 pm 

crypto wrote:
ude garami wrote:

Man, I dunno. Last weekend I was sleeping in a tent in 15F, and I used my MSS setup with the green and black bags. I needed socks and a base layer to stay comfortable, and I'm usually pretty tolerant of cold.

I'm not buying that the MSS can achieve it's rated comfort level in anything less than the ECWCS base layer. Either that, or the DoD has substantially looser definitions of 'comfort' than the civilian market, which is also quite possible.

Even with the base layer ecwcs it provides 4 hours of comfort at that level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

crypto wrote:
ude garami wrote:

I know just what you are talking about. I was cold at 5F with the whole system. But was not inside a tent. I am going on a late week trip unless work stops me just like last weekend. Anyways they are calling for a cold blast and telling people to stay inside. :roll: Guessing it will be -6F or lower in the hills and maybe a wind chill of -20F. Not too bad and I don't see what the big deal is. But I hate wind. Would rather do -20F or more than have the windchill be at those temps. In any case I will not be using the MSS.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 pm 

crypto wrote:
ude garami wrote:

First off, it's not supposed to make you "comfortable". If you're sleeping outside in the winter time, you will not be comfortable. It's supposed to keep you warm enough to allow you to sleep for a few hours.

Secondly, I assure you that sleeping in polypros and wool socks sounds cozy, but sleeping in your PT's will keep you warmer for the same reason a thermal undershirt works better if it's actually under all of your clothes.

" Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back. " - Malcolm Reynolds

"I think it's definitely bad form to get killed for lack of shooting back." - tilt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

It goes without saying - but make sure you air out your bag after sleeping in your MSS Bivy.

I used my for turkey hunting last spring and it kept me warm and comfy down to a little below freezing. However, when I went to pull out my sleeping bag for deer hunting later that year... I realized it must have still been slightly damp when I packed it away.

It was covered in a foul smelling, green, nasty mold.

So - important safety tip - - You will get condensation and your bag will get wet.

Consider yourself warned!

BUY MY BOOKS! NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE!
Read my blog!!

GunDown wrote:
BRUCE CAMPBELL IS A GOD.... HE IS THE ONE TRUE LORD OF FILM. HIS HOLY TRINITY RULES ABOVE US ALL! AS RAMI STANDS TO HIS RIGHT AND ROMERO TO HIS LEFT HIS WILL IS INFORCED BY THE ANGEL OF VENGENCE KEVIN MOTHERFUCKING SMITH!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:22 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

ude garami wrote:
Secondly, I assure you that sleeping in polypros and wool socks sounds cozy, but sleeping in your PT's will keep you warmer for the same reason a thermal undershirt works better if it's actually under all of your clothes.

Uh, I've done it both ways and I respectfully disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:09 pm 

crypto wrote:
ude garami wrote:

Uh, I've done it both ways and I respectfully disagree.

I have also done it both ways. You sure you have the real deal? OR maybe you don't generate a lot of body heat. I don't know. I was taught this in the Marines, and have done it both ways many times. Oh, well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:18 pm 

I think a big key here is 4 hours vs 8 hours. Getting warm and staying that way for a smaller amount of time is easy, its making it last through that 3-4AM cold spot that's the hard part. If I had to get up at 2AM and do a guard shift or w/e they do in the military, I'd be a lot warmer for all of my sack time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:45 pm 

Edit: Yup, still like these things bivy and whole system. Using it again this winter.
DK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:34 pm 

Woods Walker,

What do you use on the ground other than the Tyvek ground cloth? One of your pictures looks to be Fall...that ground must be damn cold in the middle of the night.
I know you can use leaves, but it takes 8 metric tons.

I am trying to put together a light and fast mini-bob that will become a module on my bulkier standard bob.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ude garami wrote:
crypto wrote:

My MSS bivvy bag just arrived in the mail, $46 shipped from http://myworld.ebay.com/gruntgear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It actually is made to sleep full uniform. Even if your uniform is damp it'll be dry by daylight.