Are there any bags/rucksacks...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

collisionsurfer

Are there any bags/rucksacks...

Post by collisionsurfer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:28 pm

.. that have both shoulder straps a la rucksack, and a single over-the-shoulder sling?

I'd be grateful for any recommendations, as, so far, one has proved elusive.

Obviously, a rucksack-stylee bag is the most comfortable way to carry weight, but depending on the circumstcnes of any bug-out, I might well have my toddler son on my back. If necessary, I'd like to be able to sling my BOB over my shoulder, if you see what I mean.

Oh, and it'd need to be a fair size. We are talking BOB-for-three.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm thinkin you're gonna be SOL on that one. A bag big enough for 3 (why 3 if you've only got the one son that needs to be carried?) is going to be pretty big, and any bag that big with true shoulder straps is probably going to have an internal frame and the like. Not very comfy AT ALL to carry slung satchel style.

You might look at some long duffel bags, I have a couple that have the two carry handles that work pretty damn well as shoulder straps, and they could have a single shoulder sling too.

I know jack shit about parenting stuff, but have you considered one of those chest slings for the kid? Or is he too big for that?
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:57 pm

What about a IDF style bag?
You can add a sling to that. Dunno about the quality of the ones I linked to though, but you can find nice ones if you shop around.
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

BAD BOY

Post by BAD BOY » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:17 pm

Try this, it just came out. I'll probably pick one up for travel myself.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/vie ... roduct=556

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Bad Boy, that looks like a pretty damn cool bag.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:49 pm

Hell, I'm falling behind in my "what's cool and innovative at MaxPedition"-ness.

Thanks BAD BOY! Great catch! 8)

Don't forget to post pics and a review if you get one. That would be sweet.

*skeedaddles over to Maxpedition.com to see whar else is new*
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Leatherman

Post by Leatherman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:52 pm

That looks awesome, I travel a lot, and my old blue duffel is falling apart, I might have to look at that, good find Bad Boy

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:26 am

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/LEG131-1715-1392.html
Slightly cheaper option, not as tacticool.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

collisionsurfer

Post by collisionsurfer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:05 am

Well, yes, a BOB for two-and-a-bit, really. And yes, he is too big for a chest sling now.

Some decent options there, though- thanks, all!

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:10 am

Let me get this straight.... you're going to be carrying YOUR gear, HER gear, AND the kid?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

BAD BOY

Post by BAD BOY » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:51 am

No problem guys, I would have actually killed for this a month and a half ago. I went on a long trip out of the country but didn't want to bring a bag I had to carry with one hand or roll to and from the airport. I ended up getting a large simple duffel and putting my BOB inside it just to protect the straps. When I arrived I took the duffel bag off and mounted it up on my shoulders (back pack) with the duffel packed inside my BOB. Worked OK but one bag like this would have been even better.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:24 am

How big is your kid? We used one of the sling style 'over the shoulder baby holders' until ours was over 30lbs. Leaves both your hands free too.

Much better to take her around town in too. The kid is close and happy, and you don't have to lug a car seat.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: Are there any bags/rucksacks...

Post by sheddi » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:26 am

collisionsurfer wrote:.. that have both shoulder straps a la rucksack, and a single over-the-shoulder sling?

Obviously, a rucksack-stylee bag is the most comfortable way to carry weight, but depending on the circumstcnes of any bug-out, I might well have my toddler son on my back.
The combat handbag (review - not mine - here) has pack-away shoulder straps and a pair of handles on the top so you can carry it like, er, a handbag. I've not tried it but it should be possible to attach a shoulder strap to the side accessory points.

On the other hand, how about carrying your toddler the way I plan to carry my 18-month-old daughter - on your shoulders? Then you can wear a proper backpack.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:24 am

collisionsurfer wrote:Well, yes, a BOB for two-and-a-bit, really. And yes, he is too big for a chest sling now.

Some decent options there, though- thanks, all!
I think it's time to tell the wife and kid to sack up and carry some of their own stuff, or hire a sherpa.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

collisionsurfer

Post by collisionsurfer » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:34 pm

jamoni wrote:Let me get this straight.... you're going to be carrying YOUR gear, HER gear, AND the kid?
Hopefully not. Ideally, one of us carries the kit, the other, our son. We do have a very good backpack-style toddler-carrier. But, you never can tell, and it pays to be paranoid.

The Mrs and I both sometimes work odd hours. If it's just one of us at home with the Wee Man when TSHTF, I'd like whichever one of us it is to be able to grab-and-go alone. I know I can't carry all the gear and the little fella very far- but out of, say, a burning-down house, or street, I could manage.

He does often ride on my shoulders, but that can be more difficult than you'd think with a backpack. Check out the photo above. Any backpack above the level of your shoulders ain't going to work out.

And yes, bugging in is Plan A. I just like options. Lots of options. If I ever find myself hiking down The Road with No.1 Son and a kit bag with no shoulder strap, I'd regret not asking around before it came to that.

DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:44 pm

That doppelduffel bag would be perfect if it had a handle and wheels. Then the wife could drag it part time and save your back

edit I'm looking for something like this this http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-26/0181 ... k-Bag.html
Half Elf Wrote
"Caddy give me the sniper rifle, I think this is a long shot."
http://www.anza1.com

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:23 pm

This is an issue for us, even though our daughter is 6 now. 6 year olds can run and run, but when they are out of gas they are out cold and need to be carried.

We normally load me up with extra weight, and my wife with lighter bulkier things, since I'm larger/stronger and she's smaller/more agile. If we get to an on-foot bug out, things are well and truly fuxxored already. We'd be doing the best we can, which likely means her with a pack and the kid, and me with the pack and rifle.

We've practiced this; the balance is trickier than you think. Its hard enough walking with a big pack, even harder with 45lbs of kid in your arms.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Further thoughts.

There's a few manufacturers of convertible travel luggage out there. A search for that phrase on Google gives a stack of hits for bags that have shoulder straps and backpack suspensions. I wouldn't like to comment on the suitability of any given example as I've never handled one myself.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 am

I just found this thread doing an unrelated search, but I have one of these:

http://us.kensington.com/html/4730.html

It has a traditional shoulder strap, plus quick-detach backpack straps that hide away in a zippered compartment on the back. I used mine for years and it held up great, then my girlfriend borrowed it and used it for a year or two, and it's only showing minor wear...

bishop

Post by bishop » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:52 am

I have a Hi-Tec Summit that I picked up on sale for $49 at Big 5 (normally $99). This is a 4576 cu. in. internal frame backpack with adjustable shoulder straps and belt which fold up into a covered pocket for when you want to make it a more normal looking bag with handles and a shoulder strap for travel. It has a detachable fanny pack and small backpack. I have a long torso and the adjustable shoulder straps go far enough to be comfortable for me with ~40LB of gear, but can also be adjusted quickly to fit my wife properly.

For relative sizing comparisons, the small backpack the size of an average school backpack and the fanny pack is a pretty good size. The fanny pack would easily fit a full size .45 with plenty of room to spare. As shown, these are mostly empty. They puff up notably if you cram them full of gear. I think I could easily pack enough for two adults and a child in this one bag, and with the detachable packs, could spread some of the workload out at times.

Front in shoulder bag mode:

Back in shoulder mode:

Converting to backpack mode:

Strap cover folded into it's own little pocket:

Relative sizes of packs:

Small backpack and fanny pack detached and ready to use:

Inside compartment and straps for securing stuff in main pack:

Attached rain cover in its own pocket:

Complete pack with rain cover on:

This is also available in a mild green color as well, but the blue seems a lot easier to find.

CavemanSam

Post by CavemanSam » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:28 am

Here is the REI vagabond
http://www.rei.com/product/754680?vcat= ... #prodInfor

Its design is similar to that of the Hi-Tec Summit. The pack straps fold away and there are clips to attach a sling strap to carry like a duffle bag. $99.50
I survived NNY08WCT! We Bug Out Harder!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:39 am

FWIW...it has been my experience that a duffel (or similar) that can do the job of both backpack and shoulder bag does neither job as well as one or the other bag would by itself...

I've carried my son on my shoulders while wearing a backpack, and it works fine if the pack is comfortably setup and not badly packed or bouncing around...

In an emergency, I could (and would) do that for hours/miles, but would also expect my wife to carry some stuff as well...

If you do expect to have this be a part of your emergency plan, I would recommend practicing to see how it works, and also picking out a route that has as little vertical change as is possible; I can carry my son and gear relatively easily on the flat, but it gets exponentially harder when we have to go up or down hills...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:47 am

nfa wrote:If you do expect to have this be a part of your emergency plan, I would recommend practicing to see how it works, and also picking out a route that has as little vertical change as is possible; I can carry my son and gear relatively easily on the flat, but it gets exponentially harder when we have to go up or down hills...

nfa
The hardest parts for me are (1) getting her up to my shoulders one I have the pack on and (2) convincing her that my neck is not the correct place to grab tightly if she feels unbalanced.

Our idea is that in a pinch I'd swap packs with my wife, so I'd have our daughter plus her smaller pack, and she'd have the heavier pack. We practice though with me with the heavy pack and the kid. She's 45lbs now and that's a lot of weight to be up that high, especially as nfa mentions on hilly terrain.

Biff

Re: Are there any bags/rucksacks...

Post by Biff » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:36 am

Return to “Bug Out Gear”