lighters - a basic discussion

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

111t

Re: lighters - a basic discussion

Post by 111t » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 am

sorry i'm having a problem cutting and pasting here...
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Not Found

The requested URL /forum/posting.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at zombiehunters.org Port 80
This is the first time i've run into this... I origianlly typed the message into the window... then i got this message so i went back and copied the post to the clipboard so i wouldn't loose it. it's not exceptionally long. Any idea what's up? I can clearly post anything else.
All the best!
-Paul

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:51 pm

111t wrote:
Not Found

The requested URL /forum/posting.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at zombiehunters.org Port 80
This is the first time i've run into this... I origianlly typed the message into the window... then i got this message so i went back and copied the post to the clipboard so i wouldn't loose it. it's not exceptionally long. Any idea what's up? I can clearly post anything else.
Try it again. It's possible the server was a little flaky when you tried this. If you keep having problems, let me know.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I don't tend to trust these IMCO Triplex Super Lighter types of lighters. The fuel seems to evaporate out of them faster than you can replenish it. But, they're cheap and I bought a few. In January, I half-filled one and put it on a window-sill where it'd be frozen cold, blown by the wind, and as it warms up heated. Every other day or so, I flick it to see if it works, and it still does. It's proving to be quite amazing for how cheap it is.

SugarMaple

Post by SugarMaple » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:49 pm

I love bic lighters. I found one walking home from work awhile back, half buried in the snow. It still worked. I've had one go through the washer and dryer. It still worked. I've got a few of them in my 3 day bag, 2 of them in my daypack and I've almost always got one in my pocket. They're so helpful and cheap that it just seems silly not to be redundant with them.
Acer saccharum

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm looking at getting one of these.

http://www.rei.com/product/806554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:49 am

allofthemonkeys wrote:I'm looking at getting one of these.
http://www.rei.com/product/806554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't bother. I got one as a present. Flimsy, broke quickly.
Went back to firesteel and BICs.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu May 13, 2010 7:28 pm

So, a little update on my Peanut Lighter from County Comm.

I received it 10 months ago, plus or minus a few days. At that time I filled it up with lighter fluid. Every month/couple of weeks I would pull it out and flick it. So far, it still lights. I think that is pretty impressive, especially since I got it for use in a PSK that does not get used until I really need it. It is not my EDC lighter, so I don't care about overall burn time as much as I care about the ability to prevent evaporation and be available when I need it.

I give this product an A+ for use in a PSK where it will not be used frequently, and could be prone to evaporation. I wanted to wait until 1 year, but 10 months is close enough.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

111t

Re: lighters - a basic discussion... It is Time...

Post by 111t » Sat May 15, 2010 10:54 am

Over three months ago i vacuum sealed a zippo. Based on my experience three months is long enough for a non-active zippo to loose it's fuel.
Date Check:
What if the fuel accumulate on the outside of the lighter & inside the bag, in effect lighting your hand on fire when you go to flip & click the first time?
The outside of the lighter was coated in a thin film of fluid... possibly sucked there by the sealer. If it was going to permeate the plastic i think it would have by now. The fluid evaporated momentarily after the lighter was out of the bag. The flame was strong, as if i had just filled it.
A bottle of zippo fuel would last a long time... I think a sealed zippo and a bottle of fuel would be an excellent thing to have in a bug out bag...
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

DrunkWookiee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead

Post by DrunkWookiee » Sat May 15, 2010 1:21 pm

In my experience, cold kills Bics but Zippo's function just fine. The big problem is the Zippo's fuel exaporation. Looks like 111t found a way to prevent that for BOB storage.

Thanx for conducting that experiment 111t.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon.

DrunkWookiee's IFAK

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sat May 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Nice! Thanks for the update 111t!
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sat May 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Veritas wrote:Nice! Thanks for the update 111t!
+1
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

DocLee8404
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn Of The Dead

Post by DocLee8404 » Sat May 15, 2010 10:51 pm

I bought a Ronson butane lighter that produces an adjustable jet flame and I love it. I picked it up for $5 at the pharmacy near my girlfriend's place just for the hell of it. It burns well and even survived my seven months in Afghanistan. The nickel finish is wearing a bit but it's still running strong. Maybe something to consider. I am in concurrence though that Ronson flint lighters (ie, the Zippo knock offs) are pieces of trash. I'm considering carrying a metal can full of Vaseline gauze in my camp\bug out bag since it runs so well as a fuel. Any comments on that?
Life Is Hard- It's Harder When You're Stupid.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon May 17, 2010 10:12 am

111t wrote:Over three months ago i vacuum sealed a zippo. Based on my experience three months is long enough for a non-active zippo to loose it's fuel.
Date Check:
What if the fuel accumulate on the outside of the lighter & inside the bag, in effect lighting your hand on fire when you go to flip & click the first time?
The outside of the lighter was coated in a thin film of fluid... possibly sucked there by the sealer. If it was going to permeate the plastic i think it would have by now. The fluid evaporated momentarily after the lighter was out of the bag. The flame was strong, as if i had just filled it.
A bottle of zippo fuel would last a long time... I think a sealed zippo and a bottle of fuel would be an excellent thing to have in a bug out bag...
Very nive, 111t. My apologies on the quote.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

KnightoftheRoc

Re:

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon May 17, 2010 10:32 am

BloodLust wrote:I carry a torch, lighter, waterproof matches and tinder. If you want to spend a little, get the camping tinders which light even when wet. Fire paste is handy too. But I use cotton balls coated in petroleum jelly, stored in a film canister. To use, just pull 1 cottonball apart or open it up a little. Lights well and long.
I agree with the multiple methods idea. Waterproofed matches for when the lighter gets wet, windproof matches for high winds, and a magnifying lens for several uses, not just fire starting. Your own tinder supply in a watertight container for when it's pouring, and learn how to gather your own when it's dry, for use and for storage.

I just ran across a virtually limitless supply of the translucent polypropylene (I think) film canisters- for FREE. Go to your local Walgreen's 1 hour photo counter, and just ASK for them- they save several up until there's a pile, and then end up tossing them, so they aren't out anything at all if they just give them away. They seal pretty tight, I'm going to say watertight, but haven't had the chance to put them to any kind of rough usage tests yet, but polypro holds up well, since it has some give to it, and doesn't start to become brittle until it's god-awful cold. Good material for tinder, cotton/vaseline balls, etc.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Re:

Post by Dogan » Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
BloodLust wrote:I carry a torch, lighter, waterproof matches and tinder. If you want to spend a little, get the camping tinders which light even when wet. Fire paste is handy too. But I use cotton balls coated in petroleum jelly, stored in a film canister. To use, just pull 1 cottonball apart or open it up a little. Lights well and long.
I agree with the multiple methods idea. Waterproofed matches for when the lighter gets wet, windproof matches for high winds, and a magnifying lens for several uses, not just fire starting. Your own tinder supply in a watertight container for when it's pouring, and learn how to gather your own when it's dry, for use and for storage.

I just ran across a virtually limitless supply of the translucent polypropylene (I think) film canisters- for FREE. Go to your local Walgreen's 1 hour photo counter, and just ASK for them- they save several up until there's a pile, and then end up tossing them, so they aren't out anything at all if they just give them away. They seal pretty tight, I'm going to say watertight, but haven't had the chance to put them to any kind of rough usage tests yet, but polypro holds up well, since it has some give to it, and doesn't start to become brittle until it's god-awful cold. Good (container?) material for tinder, cotton/vaseline balls, etc.
Match safes work well for small tinder boxes too. Be careful not to use the metal ones for magnesium shavings tho.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

GlockASP
Favorite Zombie Movies: OMG, All of them

Post by GlockASP » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:26 pm

111t wrote:Over three months ago i vacuum sealed a zippo. Based on my experience three months is long enough for a non-active zippo to loose it's fuel.
Date Check:

I did the same thing in January of 2005 to three Zippo's. (Sorry for not taking pic's it never occurred to me). All three, after being sealed for five years were fully functional right out of the bag. One of the bags did not have the vacuum seal but was from a small pinhole (I am thinking from the other stuff in the box it was in), while it still lit it did not have the same amount of fuel in it.

I had sealed them in the hope that they would be OK for a camping trip. Long story short, we moved and they were thrown in a moving box and left in our new garage for 4+ years (unheated).

I did have the same layer of fuel on the out side of the lighters. There was no damage to the food saver bags that i could see from the fuel. I had also cut down the bags as close to the lighters as i could before sealing them.
Stuck behind enemy lines in the peoples republik of Massholes!

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
Kinda funny, for a state that takes and regulates your liberty's to such extremes to have this as the state motto.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:32 pm

I have a bunch of Djeep disposable lighters scattered around and I usually carry one. Just last week, one of my Djeeps went through the washer and dryer and still works just fine. The Djeep didn't even swell up in the dryer like Bics tend to do.

Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:42 am

Weird that I have a magnifying glass in my FAK but never thought of using it as a fire-starter. I think my head was so wrapped around worst case scenarios that it never occurred to me that I might be starting a fire on a beautiful sunny day!

My wife and I were watching Man, Woman, Wild... the guy noted that he keeps Potassium permaganate and glycerin in his FAK... and that the 2 mixed together make a very hot flame. I knew this but had never thought of fire-starting... and it turns out that these each have valid FAK uses as well. My wife made some comment to me about it... and I said, "Just a sec..." and returned with KMnSO4 (is that potass permag?) and glycerin from our BOL bunker/supply depot, aka Laundry Room. She just started laughing at me.

Meanwhile, we have a bzillion BICs in our BOBs, cars, different rooms, etc. I'm enjoying this thread. Thank you for the tests and pictures.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:40 am

Well done! :)

Do you think similar results could be had by the simpler expedient of wrapping the exterior of a zippo lighter in duct tape? The metal of the case itself should be gas tight, perhaps all that's necessary is to seal the seam while the case is closed. If that works it should also prevent the exterior of the case from accumulating a film of fuel.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

111t

Post by 111t » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 pm

I was thinking electrical tape. I suppose it's worth a try. The only issue i could foresee would be the fluid breaking down the adhesive on the tape.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

AdamRadam

Post by AdamRadam » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:44 am

interestung stuff!

I recently was stuck with out any of my zippo "stuff" and ran out of fuel and flint. Shit! This being on a boat i had to improvise...

If you take the flint (or is it magnesium?) off of a cutting torch striker and ground it down, its too thick, and put in zippo, it seems to throw 'hotter' white spark.

Also used charcoal lighter fluid, and paint thinner as fluid. Both seemed to burn faster than honest to god zippo fluid.

Next ill try diesel. but my striker flint just shit the bed... were going to town in next few days so i should have 'normal' flints soon.

111t

Post by 111t » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:45 pm

I found that coleman fuel performs pretty much exactly the same as zippo or ronsonol fluid. Plus at $10/gallon it's way cheaper than those two. Plus if you have a white gas campstove you can share fuel.

I've never tried kerosene or diesel in a zippo... let us know how it works. I think the trick would be getting the sparker to light the less volatile fuel. But thats just conjecture on my part.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

john917v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Romero movies

Post by john917v » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:07 pm

I bought an electric-ignition jet lighter from Walmart for $2, it's a Ronson, found it while in the checkout line, where the candy/small bags of junkfood are. I like it so far. However, I've got Bics in my BOB, and the Ronson.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”