The Pulk Sled

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dood

Post by dood » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Makarov wrote: Image
Dude i thought that was a roast the first time i saw it
carlos mencia wrote:Gorilla's have the strength of ten men. retarded people have the strength of ten men. So if you see a retarded gorilla, you better run bitch!

dood

Post by dood » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Makarov wrote: Image
Dude i thought that was a roast the first time i saw it
carlos mencia wrote:Gorilla's have the strength of ten men. retarded people have the strength of ten men. So if you see a retarded gorilla, you better run bitch!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: The Pulk Sled

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm

Veritas wrote:
Woods Walker wrote: Cooked up some of my favorite Polish treats for dinner.

Sorry for being way off topic, but are those pirogis? If so, you are my hero and I need to know how you made those.
Pierogies are never off topic. These are Poppy's. One of the few store brands that are good. Mrs. T's are lacking. Homemade ones are the best but if I told you the family secret recipe I would have to kill you. 8)

http://www.codinos.com/poppys.htm

Often I pack in frozen Pierogies and Hungarian Kielbasa. Or sometimes Polish. A high energy food source that will keep for a long time during the winter. Not something I would pack inside the BOB however. Might draw in too many Zombies as even the undead knows good Kielbasa beats brains any day of the week. But Hillshire Farms does not know the first thing about a good Kielbasa. People need to get the real stuff to understand what I am talking about.

On the topic of the Paris sled. I think it is no longer made. Darn shame as the Paris makes for a nice pulk. Maybe they can still be found online or Ebay.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Bump for winter project.....

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Same sled nearly 4 years later.

I will be packing the pulk this week for a 4 day winter campout in the Dacks.

Gurthy

Post by Gurthy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!.....now the nightmares of ahkios, squad arctic tents and the M-60 will return! :evil:

Damnit... now I have another weekend project!

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:29 pm

I am building mine this weekend...I am using a Jet Sled jr, will post pics when completed or maybe do a write up.

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:13 am

Ha, I was about to post a thread about me finally getting hold of a Paris pulk. Those I've found for sale at local stores has cost a lot of $$, but a few weeks ago I found a Norwegian netstore that had a sale. So I bought a 6-pack...(less cost per unit and the same for shipping as for 1)
I'm keeping 2 for myself(one to mod and one to keep "clean"), I'm going to gift 1 to my parents to have at the cabin and I'm selling the 3 others to partly fund the ones I keep for myself.

A buddy took one, and he's already building up his version, but I haven't really had the time due to my student(nurse) practice. Now that I've finished my the period I'm going to start looking at options.

So keep those pic's and ideas coming :D
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

aa1pr

Post by aa1pr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:33 pm

I posted how I built mine [write-up] if interested: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=76019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vthunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: original "Night of the Living Dead"
Resident Evil series
Zombieland

Re: The Pulk Sled - some questions

Post by vthunter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:57 pm

"bump" for 2012 and a question or two for both Woods Walker and AA1PR on their respective pulks/sleds:

1) If possible, would Woods be able to reply with the L x W X Depth (sidewall height) of the Paris Expedition?

A re-read of AA1PR's post puts the Shappell Jet Sled Junior at 43X21X8", which echoes Dick's Sporting Goods website. I've heard the Exp is 60" long but cannot find width or height numbers; so, it's much appreciated, if available.

2) I've read 'longer is better' on a pull-behind sled, so it will *track* better. Any comments. Woods or AA1PR? Surely not trying to start a "mine's better" debate but only to get an idea of how each has played/worked out for you both on your travels? I'm looking to buy/build something this winter and don't know how longer vs. wider helps in loading, ease of travel, and trying to avoid tipping over issues? I used a toboggan, once, many (many) moons ago, and we had a heck of a time on slopes and even larger bumps (buried rocks, stumps or bushes), that wanted to tilt the 'boggan & spill the load to the sides (but it was still better than packing it all in on our backs :mrgreen: ).

3) Poles vs. ropes? Poles in the open fields, where it really helps on the downhills? Ropes better in the forest for tight turns/control?

4) How do you each pack your sled vis-a-vis weight distribution? Doesn't matter? Weight-forward so you have the best control of the sled's 'nose'? Weight-back so you have a "boat-like getting on plane" effect so surface-area-of-sled-to-snow is reduced, therefore friction is cut down? Does either help on the downhills? Seems like "heaviest on the bottom" so it's not too top-heavy would be wise, also? Do you guys wrap your load in a tarp or plastic, in addition to strapping or putting bungees over the top?

5) Woods, did you ever try "fins" on yours? As you said before, seems like they'd help on tracking on a sideways hill but would they add 'drag' if you're in the forest and have to do a bunch of tight turns? If you've used them, are they field removable/attachable?

Thanks very much!!! Anything you'd like to add on "how I'd do it better" is most welcome and illustrative pics are always greatly appreciated!!

vthunter

P.S. edited to contribute the following site, http://wintertrekking.com/equipment/sleds-toboggans/, for a good read...they may have been referenced on here before...

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:53 pm

1. I will get back to you on the measurements.

2. A longer pulk is sometimes better because the center of gravity will be lower unlike a shorter pulk stacked higher. There is a less chance of the pulk rolling over.

3. Poles are the only way to go. Ropes are used because someone doesn’t have poles IMO.

4. Pack the pulk with heavy items lower to keep it from being top heavy, beyond that I am not sure as it all seems the same.

5. I don’t have fins but crossing the traces seems to allow more control in hard terrain. But then again others like parallel traces.

vthunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: original "Night of the Living Dead"
Resident Evil series
Zombieland

Post by vthunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks, Woods!!

vthunter :D

Return to “Bug Out Gear”