It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:08 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

My roomie works part-time at REI and I told him abot this review. He's actually sold a few now, and I'm hoping to get mine soon to mess around with. Well, borrow the one my roomie buys because I am not allowed to take part in his discount in any way.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:21 pm 

bump

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:43 pm 

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive
resurrecting. this looks awesome, thanks so much for the review Gunny. I see that the original post is about 1+1/2 years old. Have there been any changes to the product, or other companies making the same/better thing?

Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:02 pm 

After reading this review of Gunny's, I kept my eye out for dromedary bags. Blackbearhardware had some gear I wanted AND the 10L dromedary bags for $25 - I couldn't resist. I've only used it a few time but it feels very tough and durable. Plus, 10L is a very sizable amount of water to be able to fill up.

I just bought a Kelty Red Cloud 6650 multi-day pack, and for fitting, I needed ~35lbs. Well, the dromedary bag weighs ~22lbs full.....keep that in mind if you're thinking about hauling it around much...

R.I.P. Pat, a/k/a HK33k

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:40 pm 

here's yet another option http://www.source-vagabond.com/a-hsystems6.html second from top they are made by source vagabond

they are not well know here in US but their gear is really good. they had/have a partnership with deuter, kelty and tactical tailor and the usmc has switched to a source bag a few years ago.

i've used mine through my second half of my service (after my camelbak stealth busted on me) and i still use it for camping and occasional edc, since then i purchased a few more just to have around since they are not too easy to come by here.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:27 am 

Gunny wrote:
Bump per request. If you must get a collapsible water container, this is the one to get.

Really? Ortlieb makes excellent waterproof storage, and they started to make some bags that are waterproof in the other direction a few years ago. My Water bag is now four years old, and has survived sixteen weeks of touring.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:22 am 

Has anyone used/seen the camelbak sixbak? I have a blackwater pack (primary BOB for the family) that this would fit in perfectly.
How do you think it compares to the MSR Dromedary?
The MSR is $20 cheaper and connects directly to many filters, but is more of a camp bag
The sixbak looks as heavy made, inclides an inline filter (not the same as a full filter) and mainlines as a hydration pack.

BTW... I am really ticked I didn't get the MSRs when blackbear had them at clearance prices. They were something like $10-15, but I dragged my feet. I was going to get 2-3.... then poof they were back at full price.

CamelBak SixBak 200 OZ Hydration Pack

Features
Massive external OMEGA Access Port allows for quick and easy filling, cleaning, and ice addition
Hydrolink Modular Attachment System, now with reservoir shut-off at exit port
Easy access to In-Line MicroFilter
Lightweight, durable 1000D Cordura exterior
Top and side exit slots enable multiple tube routing options
Multiple D-ring attachment points
Dimensions: 17" L x 11" W x 1" H
Volume: 366 cu. in. (6.0 L)
Weight: Empty reservoir- 1.27 lbs, Filled reservoir- 14.50 lbs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:20 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I was going to go with a Katadyn system before I read this, but after doing a little research, I think an MSR filter and bag is the way to go. Thanks Gunny! I'm curious about any updates you may have about your equipment, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 pm 

Thanks Gunny
Now my family has a 10L bag, we got the shower kit too. Can't wait to try it out.
ZS wins again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:47 pm 

I just stumbled across this today, thanks for the review. I'll be picking one up this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:19 pm 

Cultentacle wrote:
I just stumbled across this today, thanks for the review. I'll be picking one up this weekend.

Neat :)

Be sure to shop around and you'll find a better price. I've the 10L model and love the damn thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:20 pm 

For everyone who has one of these bags, would you mind taking a picture or two when you add it to your BOB/hike/however? It'd help flesh out this bag's section in the mega thread.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:02 pm 

Gunny wrote:
For everyone who has one of these bags, would you mind taking a picture or two when you add it to your BOB/hike/however? It'd help flesh out this bag's section in the mega thread.

Next time I'm out backpacking I'll be sure to take pictures. I also plan to get the shower addition for it as well...those photos wont be included though :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:28 pm 

Cultentacle wrote:
Gunny wrote:

Next time I'm out backpacking I'll be sure to take pictures. I also plan to get the shower addition for it as well...those photos wont be included though :wink:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

JCD wrote:
Here is a different option

This is similar to your dromendray, except you just fill it up and let gravity filter the water. However I've never tested it.

Question: What's the advantage of the MSR Dromedary over this Katadyn? It seems to me that there's a whole lot less pumping with the katadyn system... NFA had one of these at the NNY08SCT and it kinda rocked.

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
Rush2112 wrote:
TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:04 pm 

outoforder2day wrote:
JCD wrote:

This is similar to your dromendray, except you just fill it up and let gravity filter the water. However I've never tested it.

Question: What's the advantage of the MSR Dromedary over this Katadyn? It seems to me that there's a whole lot less pumping with the katadyn system... NFA had one of these at the NNY08SCT and it kinda rocked.

Go back and read my article a bit more thoroughly. The MSR bag is damn near indestructible. It can also host a wide number of attachments for filtering/showering/drinking and so on. I've even filled mine with snow and tossed it next to a campfire to get some drinking water (a huge no no with most bags) and it didn't seem to phase it.

It's the bag for the survivalist who likes to know his gear works regardless of how he or mother nature treats it.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Gunny wrote:
outoforder2day wrote:
JCD wrote:

Go back and read my article a bit more thoroughly. The MSR bag is damn near indestructible. It can also host a wide number of attachments for filtering/showering/drinking and so on. I've even filled mine with snow and tossed it next to a campfire to get some drinking water (a huge no no with most bags) and it didn't seem to phase it.

It's the bag for the survivalist who likes to know his gear works regardless of how he or mother nature treats it.

I understand that the MSR is extremely durable but was wondering about the other differences since they appear quite similar on the surface. No one responded to JCD so I asked again... I went out and dug up the below info because I was curious. I asked because I though other folks might already know it.

Point by point:
1)Compact size - MSR (2 liter) 8 x 16.5 in. 6.3 oz. (bigger, lighter) VS. Katadyn (1 Liter) 7.5 x 4 in. 22 oz (smaller and heavier)
2)Adaptability - Katadyn: Only takes it's own type of filter cartridge (20,000 Liter capacity). But it doesn't need any separate filter. This filter can break if frozen.
3)Functionality - The Katadyn closes just like a dry bag (fold over and clasp). This provides a sturdy loop to put around anything, including a small tree branch, no extra cord required. I'd argue that this method disperses the weight better than a grommet would, but that probably doesn't matter much.
3b)MSR: Can't find flow rate Katadyn: Approximately 1.4 gallons per hour max
4)Durability - MSR: 500- and 1,000-denier Cordura and laminated with food-grade polyurethane, can withstand temperatures from freezing to boiling Katadyn: No Information on specific material, some kind of nylon. The Ceramic filter may crack if it freezes.

Knowing the above, I'd use the Katadyn during the warmer months because while it's filtering into my pot/canteen/dromedary/whatever I could be doing any number of other things. Both the MSR and the Katadyn have their pluses.

Further Questions:
What attachments are available? Is there one that provides the same gravity filter capabilities as the Katadyn? I see MSR has this, but was wondering if there's something that would work directly with the dromedary bag.

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
Rush2112 wrote:
TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:34 pm 

Nice system... But She has got to lose the "ND" hat ! sorry....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:20 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I picked up my 10L Dromedary from Cabela's on Saturday. I haven't filled it up yet but it seems just as bomb-proof as everyone is saying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I'm getting ready to take my 10L Drom bag out this weekend for a camping trip. I'll let you know if it explodes and kills everyone, but I wouldn't bet on it. After a couple years of going on every camping trip I go on, it's pretty much still good as new.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:32 pm 

hardtorn wrote:
Nice system... But She has got to lose the "ND" hat ! sorry....

I'm also wearing a ND hat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:41 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

crypto wrote:
I'm getting ready to take my 10L Drom bag out this weekend for a camping trip. I'll let you know if it explodes and kills everyone, but I wouldn't bet on it. After a couple years of going on every camping trip I go on, it's pretty much still good as new.

That'd be strange if it s'ploded. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:34 pm 

I was wondering... I know the bag says it goes from freezing to boiling and with the shower attachment it has my interest peaked for sure, but my question is, has anyone tried pouring hot water into it?, either straight boiling or warmed up slightly?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:53 am 

MrBabel wrote:
I was wondering... I know the bag says it goes from freezing to boiling and with the shower attachment it has my interest peaked for sure, but my question is, has anyone tried pouring hot water into it?, either straight boiling or warmed up slightly?

I've put just about boiling temperature water in mine while cleaning it, not for shower purposes. Since they are black they warm up nicely if left in the sun. I've had my Dromedary for probably 15 years, they are pretty indestructible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next