BOB Essentials Series: MSR Dromedary Bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

cougar

Post by cougar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:21 pm

great wright up Gunny. Thanks for the info
If I lite a cigarette, will you go away?

R.I.P HK33k

JCD

Post by JCD » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:59 pm

Here is a different option

This is similar to your dromendray, except you just fill it up and let gravity filter the water. However I've never tested it.

AntiZombie Corps

Post by AntiZombie Corps » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm

Patient Zer0 wrote:
Thats what I love about ZS. Anywhere else, abunch of men commenting on each others clothing gets a little too "Brokeback" for me :lol:
Yes when get our accessories and attachments... we grab our scopes, lasers, flashlights and magazine clamps.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Bump per request. If you must get a collapsible water container, this is the one to get.

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:29 pm

Hella good review, Gunny. I've been thinking about this very thing, for the very reasons that you stated.

Do you know how the DromLight stacks up against the Dromedary? Obviously, it's a "less" water bladder, but...

Where the HELL did you get the 10-l bag for $20?
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:11 pm

I have a dromedary and they are a great watersack

But for backpacking, I use Nalgene Canteens...on longer trips I carry two

Each one holds about 3 liters and it just seems easier to fill one or two depending on the situation

And I feel more balanced carrying one in each hand, or strapping one to each side of my pack

best part is that you can drink out of one like a wineskin
Last edited by Obiwan on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:41 pm

Obiwan, these have a different use, to be quite honest. These dromedary bags are awesome for when you're at your campsite, and want water but only want to go get it once a day or so. If all you have is 2 nalgene bottles, you'll be going down to filter water at every meal (and then some).

If you've got this big awesome bag, you can just fill it once, and then use it until you need more water.

Gunny, did you say you froze yours? I'm thinking wintergeddon and that I dont want to hike down the hill to the lake 3 times a day. I guess I could just dump it all out before bed everynight so I dont have a block of ice in it in the morning.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

kir

Post by kir » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:26 pm

Thank you for pointing this thread out! It is just the sort of thing I'd like to replace my other less functional water bag with. ++

KYZombieHunter

Post by KYZombieHunter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:15 am

Gunny, where did u score the 10L for 20 bucks? 30 is the best I have been able to find.
"I'm all about hearts and minds... two in the heart and one in the mind...." Cpt. Ryan Holliday

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:34 am

KYZombieHunter wrote:Gunny, where did u score the 10L for 20 bucks? 30 is the best I have been able to find.
I know a guy who works for Campmor's customer service department.

Crypto: It's frozen a few times, and it's never had any wear and tear.

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 am

Crypto....reading is fundamental

I think you saw this

When I was referring to this

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:15 am

One advantage to two bottles over one big one is that if one spills or leaks you only lose half your water

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Ah so, Caine.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

SharkChild

Post by SharkChild » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:58 pm

I have the DromLit Bag. It works. But I have not put it through hell like Gunny has with his.
nfa wrote:must...keep...my...fucking...mouth...shut...
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:31 pm

sharkchild wrote:I have the DromLit Bag. It works. But I have not put it through hell like Gunny has with his.
I haven't thrown mine off a cliff or anything, but it's withstood dozens of camping trips with impunity.

Honestly guys, you're getting hung up on a $10 difference. Buy one and you won't be disappointed.

On a side note, if you fill the 10L up about 3/4th of the way, it makes a pretty damn nice pillow.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:26 pm

I bet, I've found out that my camel back makes a pretty darn good pillow, and then you've got water right by your face all night.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:00 pm

Sloshing softly in your ear......do you find you need to get up and urinate a lot?

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:03 pm

not with the camel back, cause there's no air in it. It looks like the whasiwhoozit bag that Gunny's yellin about shouldn't have any water in it either.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:28 pm

How did I miss this thread? Nice review Gunny. :D

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:46 am

I just got one from Campmor because of this review...thanks Gunny!

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

docsven

Post by docsven » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:32 am

Thanks for this post. I will be picking up a couple to put in my BOB's.
Smoking is a filthy habit. I pick my NOSE...but only in the FINEST of RESTAURANTS !

Navygal_302

Post by Navygal_302 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:19 pm

Just got a brand 4L one off eBay for 29.95. Thanks Gunny.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:42 pm

I want one... next time I'm in the area, I'm stopping by your house...I mean, Cabela's...it's pretty much the same thing I guess...
ImageImage

Obiwan
BANNED

Post by Obiwan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:28 pm

"your house...I mean, Cabela's...it's pretty much the same thing I guess"

:lol:

Yeah...my wife keeps asking me when the K2 expedition is stopping by to gear up so we can have our basement back :D

Return to “Bug Out Gear”