Bug Out Bag for Baby

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Bug Out Bag for Baby

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Here's the start of the Bug Out Bag I've built for my daughter.

I posted a couple months ago about a day trip my wife and I took with our 6 week old and dog. Of the great number of things we learned that day, we realized that everyone's bag cannot be a "backpack". I bought myself a new pack late last summer, and bought my wife a matching pack for christmas. This freed up my wife's old BOB for our daughter. The scope of this bag is not TEOTAWKI, but a regional disaster forcing us from our home. Our bags do not include much in the way of shelter, beyond extra clothing, this bag is designed for couch surfing or hotel living until insurance can cover our needs.

The bag is a K3 40L Excursion duffle bag, water resistant with handles on each end and wrap under handles on top, backpack straps, and shoulder strap. Lots of ways to carry it, perfect for this purpose, which I would expect to carry either slung over a shoulder or in the hand. The outside has a ton of daisy chain and a mesh pocket on the front. At this point I keep a notepad and a stylus/pen in this pocket. This notepad isn't write-in-the-rain like my other bags, maybe one day.

Upon opening the main compartment you find a mesh pocket in the lid, and a second smaller mesh pocket is in the side of the bag under the lid flap. An internal waterproof pocket also flips out to the front.

The small side pocket holds the few items for a "survival situation" for my daughter, but this is a fairly limited scope. A reflective blanket (because I already had it), and a small tube of glow bracelets/necklaces. These glow sticks were a trick i stole from a guy I met at a local prepper meetup. His daughter was a fair bit older than mine at the time, but every night he gave her a glow bracelet and necklace. if she wandered away from her parents, it was easy to pick her out of the tree line. Another use for these bracelets (with children) is to mark doorknobs in unfamiliar environments or when the power is out, especially bathroom doors for toilet training aged children.

in the lid pocket I put toiletry and first aid items, this will be expanded in the near future, but primarily infant focused.

Currently
a sleeve of cotton pads,
A small tin of Burt's Bee's Baby Salve (medical salve, diaper cream, all in one product)
Camilia is a pain medication marketed for teething babies, one pouch contains 5 doses in single dose droppers. We've never needed more than two doses in a night.
zip lock bag of examination gloves (can be used for medical procedures or diaper changes if hand washing is not an option.

To be added will be infant toothbrush/toothpaste.
I'm on the lookout for travel sized lotion, bug repellant and sun screen. I pay a bit more for travel sized products that I can keep sealed until needed instead of cycling out product more often when decanting big bottles into travel tubes.

Also pictured, an old winter hat I had which has always been too small for me. Gifted to me by an ex, I didn't throw it away while we were together for obvious reasons, and it just ended up tucked away in boxes of "extra winter gear". Prime candidate for a child's BOB.
And a water bottle my wife bought a few years ago. Packs down small, but only expands to hold 500ml. Great for a young child who only drinks 1-2 ounces a day.

The "internal waterproof pocket" is where I've put food stuffs.

Infants are easy. My wife has breastfed the majority of my daughters food over the past 6 months. There was a period recently where milk supply dropped and my wife was having a hard time keeping up. We used formula for a couple days, these were the leftovers from those days. In the ziplock is a bottle from the system we use daily and a pacifier, with a pacifier clip on the top. We stopped using a pacifier before 4 months old, but I figured it may be useful if we're in a stressful situation and need a quiet child for a few minutes.

The remainder of the bag is filled with this rolled up stadium blanket and three "wet bags".

I'll talk about the wet bags (and cloth diapering) first:
Before my daughter was born, we were pretty enthusiastic about cloth diapering. My wife spent hours researching different designs and systems. Typically, cloth diapering parents invest in a single system, but until you know what system you like, and fit your child, you're stuck either investing in different systems, or rolling the dice in one over the others after labouring over online reviews. We decided to go the multiple system route, just to be sure. My wife did the leg work of locating many of the systems at good prices on Facebook Marketplace. Some we bought new, or bought knock offs from Wish.com. Part of cloth diapering is transporting soiled diapers home without soiling your entire diaper bag. That's where these bags came from, receiving one or two with every purchase of diaper covers, These bags are fairly light, durable and waterproof. For several different reasons over the past 6 months, we have been prevented from going cloth diaper "full time" (our idea for full time was at home only, saving the convenience of disposable for outings). Regardless, these bags serve dual purpose, first to organize things within the BOB, second, in the event of soiled clothing, they can be stored within these bags until they can be laundered.

Professionals estimate 8 diapers per day for a baby, we've never personally hit 8 diapers in a day, but I used that to calculate 24 diapers in a three day bag. I split those 24 diapers into two wet bags, one being slightly larger than the other, has a travel pack of baby wipes. Mine and my wife's BOBs also have the same package of wipes.

The JEEP stadium blanket was a freebie with some sort of promotion at the dealership. It lived in my car for a long time, fleece lined with a poly shell. You don't put babies into car seats wearing bulky winter clothing. Typically, parents pre heat the car, wrap the child in a blanket or poncho to transfer them to the car, and then take that outer layer off within the car. Just a challenge of living in a cold climate. This blanket is a great option for protecting a child from the cold without bundling them into a proper snow suit.

Clothing for an infants bug out bag is probably the biggest challenge, especially in my circumstances. My 6 month old daughter has grown at a rate far outstripping "normal". Roughly one clothing size per month, starting at 0-3month clothes when she was born ... my 6 month old wears clothes sized between 2T and 3T ... two to three year old's clothes. Thank the gods for friends with hand me downs. Since starting her bag, I haven't kept clothes for her, because she has been so unpredictable, and life has been too busy to stay on top of something changing that often. She's finally started to slow down, I think (hope), and I plan to put in two sets of oversized pyjamas. Kids can get away with wearing pyjamas all day. They're comfortable, warm, and even if she outgrows them a little, forgiving. My part of the province has been on lockdown since deciding this would be the best route to go, I should be picking up these PJ sets in the next week or two. One saving grace in this category; when I packed clothes in my wife and my's bags, I did so assuming I might be naked and have to leave. My daughter is only naked at two points in the day, never for extended periods of time, and always with clothes at the ready.

The last (green) bag is for blankets. One muslin blanket, large, light, soft. Two receiving blankets, mid size, bit of weight, bit of warmth. Three walmart tea towels - super absorbent, these were bought in bulk as cloth diaper liners, since cloth diapers haven't worked for us, we have tons of these. They are our default bib and general baby use towel. There's room in this bag still, so it will be where I put the clothes after I pick them up. Depending on space afterwards, I will fill the rest of the way with more white tea towels.

Currently, the bag weighs in at just under 13 pounds.

I'll be sharing my dog's bag, and my wife's and mine soon, but I started with this one because I know it needs the most work. Happy to answer any questions or receive any feedback, I've been prepping for a third of my life, I've been a dad for 6 months, this is where those two overlap. I'll edit the post and pictures as I finish picking up the last few things mentioned. Thanks for looking.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Bug Out Bag for Baby

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13 am

These might be something to look into, Compressed Wipes. Just add water. I have them but have not done extensive testing.

I can fit a bunch in an altoids tin, a waterproof pill container, a 3x5 jewelers ziplock, and they come with a plastic container also. They are advertised as GREAT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN - Unscented wipes contain no harsh additives. Gentle for kids’ face and hands, baby wipes, and pets.

https://www.amazon.com/Wysi-Wipe-Hypoal ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

You want to keep 'em away from humidity or water until you need to decompress them. Disposable/biodegradable.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:50 pm

On what you've already done:

I would suggest removing the travel sized wipes and replacing them with 1 or 2 full sized packs or using something like the compressed ones if all you've added is the one pack shown in the photos. As you know, one pack won't last long especially when you're using it to clean faces and such too. For clothing, you're going to want more than 2 pairs pajamas. I would add at least 4 pairs with 4 onesies at a bare minimum. Don't forget socks.

What I didn't notice you mention but could have overlooked:

Consider adding Mylicon drops, an infant grooming kit, Infant Tylenol just in case and a changing pad so if ya'll have to change him/her somewhere other than a car seat or something you're not risking dirtying up a blanket to do so.

Teething rings or whatever you're using to let him or her gnaw on while teething might be helpful.

Duplicate copies of the birth certificate need to be in all adult bags plus the baby bag. Same with the Social Security card if you have them.

And a carrier or small umbrella stroller strapped to the bag itself. If by chance ya'll would end up walking with the baby, carrying an infant for any amount of time is going to wear on your arms. Both carriers and umbrella strollers are lightweight enough to not really add a ton of weight to the bag. They'll add bulk but not a ton of weight.

Is the baby eating solids? If so, you'll want a few jars of baby food and feeding equipment. Same with sippy cups if you're at that stage or will be soon.

Maybe consider a couple of stuffies or other toys to help keep him or her distracted.

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:11 pm

goofygurl wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:50 pm

I would suggest removing the travel sized wipes and replacing them with 1 or 2 full sized packs or using something like the compressed ones if all you've added is the one pack shown in the photos. As you know, one pack won't last long especially when you're using it to clean faces and such too.
the thing about large packs of stuff is you may only need to use a few. So during emergency scenarios, a bunch of smalls is better IMO. even if they are more expensive per unit. Maybe you need to be a hero and give some to another party. or trade some.

Same thing vacuum packing dry goods, maybe a bucket lasts a month but turns out you only need a week. so divide the bucket into 4) one week packs.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:11 pm
goofygurl wrote:

I would suggest removing the travel sized wipes and replacing them with 1 or 2 full sized packs or using something like the compressed ones if all you've added is the one pack shown in the photos. As you know, one pack won't last long especially when you're using it to clean faces and such too.
the thing about large packs of stuff is you may only need to use a few. So during emergency scenarios, a bunch of smalls is better IMO. even if they are more expensive per unit. Maybe you need to be a hero and give some to another party. or trade some.

Same thing vacuum packing dry goods, maybe a bucket lasts a month but turns out you only need a week. so divide the bucket into 4) one week packs.
I agree but on the wipes specifically since you quoted that part, that's a travel pack of baby wipes with approx. 20 wipes in it. They will use a minimum of 2 per wet and minimum twice as many for dirty diaper changes. In other words, that small pack will be gone in a single day if it even lasts that long. He stated that the bag was meant for couch surfing/hotel living which implies (at least to me) longer than a single day.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

goofygurl wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:26 pm
MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:11 pm
goofygurl wrote:

I agree but on the wipes specifically since you quoted that part, that's a travel pack of baby wipes with approx. 20 wipes in it. They will use a minimum of 2 per wet and minimum twice as many for dirty diaper changes. In other words, that small pack will be gone in a single day if it even lasts that long. He stated that the bag was meant for couch surfing/hotel living which implies (at least to me) longer than a single day.
The pack of wipes pictured are 56, sorry, not a great picture, and my wife and I both have the same pack in each of our bags. The compressed ones require more water, so I opted for pre moistened.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:36 pm

goofygurl wrote:

I would suggest removing the travel sized wipes and replacing them with 1 or 2 full sized packs or using something like the compressed ones if all you've added is the one pack shown in the photos. As you know, one pack won't last long especially when you're using it to clean faces and such too. For clothing, you're going to want more than 2 pairs pajamas. I would add at least 4 pairs with 4 onesies at a bare minimum. Don't forget socks.

What I didn't notice you mention but could have overlooked:

Consider adding Mylicon drops, an infant grooming kit, Infant Tylenol just in case and a changing pad so if ya'll have to change him/her somewhere other than a car seat or something you're not risking dirtying up a blanket to do so.

Teething rings or whatever you're using to let him or her gnaw on while teething might be helpful.

Duplicate copies of the birth certificate need to be in all adult bags plus the baby bag. Same with the Social Security card if you have them.

And a carrier or small umbrella stroller strapped to the bag itself. If by chance ya'll would end up walking with the baby, carrying an infant for any amount of time is going to wear on your arms. Both carriers and umbrella strollers are lightweight enough to not really add a ton of weight to the bag. They'll add bulk but not a ton of weight.

Is the baby eating solids? If so, you'll want a few jars of baby food and feeding equipment. Same with sippy cups if you're at that stage or will be soon.

Maybe consider a couple of stuffies or other toys to help keep him or her distracted.
Some great suggestions. The clothing is definitely the bare minimum. Assuming my daughter is dressed when we have to evac, three sets of clothing. The biggest deterrent has been the rate she has grown. Regular outfits have been hard to keep up with between the speed she outgrows them and the local lockdowns. If she has slowed down like we think she has, we might be able to add more than two sets.

Copies of identifications need to go in the bag, again, we have them in both adult's bags, but it should be here too.

We have an umbrella stroller in the car. We have a multiple carriers, we should store one in this bag.

We've only recently started baby lead weaning, solid foods are more about sensory experiences than the necessity of nutrition at this age. There was another baby related thread here a while back, someone suggested putting a garlic press in a baby bag, to mash more solid foods into baby sized foods. I may add one of those as the adult bags have survival rations, but ultimately breast milk is the majority of her nutritional intake at this point.

Stuffed animals and general toys haven't been of much of a hit so far, she plays with them, but isn't particularly attached to anything, but rattles and noise makers have become more popular in the past week or two alone. We have used a few teething toys through the first teeth, I'll see about finding a spare of our favourites, but we also used frozen facecloths a lot.
BullOnParade

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

The pack of wipes pictured are 56, sorry, not a great picture, and my wife and I both have the same pack in each of our bags. The compressed ones require more water, so I opted for pre moistened.
The ones in those premoistened packs also have a volume of air along with the wipes, so their volume is inefficient for the number of wipes you can carry. Also in my experience with those, there may be a puncture or some way air gets in and then they dry out. Especially with long term storage. That's the main reason I switched, tired of my two year old, unopened wipes being dried out and having to add water anyway. But you have to weigh your personal need, and figure out what's best for you. If you're using wet wipes like that all the time then you'd just rotate them thru your BOB's and into your daily use.

The compressed ones do need a tablespoon of water to hydrate. Yes, but you can fit a 100 wipes in a smaller space than your 56 pack.

Here's some ways I store the compressed wipes. These came in a resealable ziplocks of 100, and seem to be smaller volume than a small 20 wipes pack. They also came with that long clear tube that holds 12. 28 fit in an altoids tin.

Lifetime gamer watch at:

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:38 pm

Thing's I've added in the past few days
Baby spoon and two pouches of baby mash - breast milk will continue to be the primary source of nutrition, but stressful situations will impact that supply, and another source of food is important.
Garlic press - a suggestion from an older ZS thread on baby specific preps, it can be used to make a mash out of foods you may otherwise have a hard time mashing.
Baby toothbrush and toothpaste, a few facecloths - part of our daily hygiene routines, keep some normalcy even in a hotel room.
Travel change pad - Picked up a spare off Facebook marketplace for cheap.
BullOnParade

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

Return to “Bug Out Gear”