No BoB...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CorathSS

No BoB...

Post by CorathSS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:48 am

So I admit it, I have none. Hell, I can't even afford it. Finnacial circumstances beyond my control, related to an ex who was ahh..well, NM. Lets just say, I can't afford it.

But, I am wondering, beyond emergency food, and a radio..what else does one need? I got a fair amount of Gear on hand related to regular camping.
Affliction is a Treasure and Scarce Any man hath enough of it.- John Donne, meditation 17

Bald Chihuahua

Post by Bald Chihuahua » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:03 am

Don't let your BoB pull you into poverty, worry about actual survival (fiscal rebound, stability, et cetera) before worrying about survivalism.
Off Duty Ninja wrote:Sigged
Jolee Bindo wrote:Sometimes swirling Force is just swirling Force. It gets all us old Jedis excited at our age so we go 'Oooo, destiny!'

CorathSS

Post by CorathSS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:05 am

Heh, I'm just wondering what I actually need. hell..I carry an old school anti venom kit in the camping gear. Yep, slash the wound, and suck the venom out through that funny plastic tube thing :P

I have a few magazines about, which is why I'm wondering...
Affliction is a Treasure and Scarce Any man hath enough of it.- John Donne, meditation 17

Bald Chihuahua

Post by Bald Chihuahua » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am

Food and water are the basic necessities. After that, put a change of clothes, or at the very least, a few pairs of socks (trenchfoot :( ).

Magnesium firestarters can be had for a very low price, and tinder can be acquired for $0. Just clean out your dryer lint and put a coating of petroleum jelly on it. You can get Bic lighters for a very small amount of money, though I've always had trouble working them.

A nice multitool wouldn't hurt, but some are rather expensive. I know Gerber makes a multitool that costs around $15, Clutch is what it is called, I believe.

Maps and such are free, thanks to the internet and printers, and a decent compass shouldn't cost much.

Water filters are a different story, because I have yet to find one that is inexpensive, but tablets are fairly cheap.

As for a bag, any bag will do, but a backpack is preferrable. JanSport makes reliable backpacks, and some of them cost as low as $30.

That's all I have at the moment, I'm sure some other forum members could provide more assistance.
Off Duty Ninja wrote:Sigged
Jolee Bindo wrote:Sometimes swirling Force is just swirling Force. It gets all us old Jedis excited at our age so we go 'Oooo, destiny!'

CorathSS

Post by CorathSS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:32 am

Got a lot of that..being a smoker, I have about 5 Bics..and a Zippo, a real zippo..

Tibus

Post by Tibus » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:57 am

I've been told, on this forum actually, that those snake bite kits aren't worth the money. They tell you to do the exact opposite of what a typical first aid guide will tell. Fortunately, in the USA there are less than 10 fatalities from snake bites a year and most of them involve alchohol. But all of that does not relate to the thread topic.
Luckily, a BOB does not need to be expensive though a lot of people choose to get nice expensive stuff. As with most things, you get what you pay for. My BOB started out pretty cheap and I just added to it over time. I upgraded some of the items in it over the course of birthdays/holidays etc. I think BOBs tend to idividual to the user, but the basics are

Food
Water
Fire starting materials
Maps and compass
Knife and other tools
First Aid kit
Possibly a weapon.
Flashlight

There is a knowledge base around here somewhat that gives a great deal more suggestions on items, but the above list is stuff you probably already have around somewhere and won't break the bank. All you need to do is find a suitable bag or backpack and get it together. That way when the SHTF you will have it all together and get on the run quickly.
Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:16 am

Bald Chihuahua wrote:Food and water are the basic necessities. After that, put a change of clothes, or at the very least, a few pairs of socks (trenchfoot :( ).

Magnesium firestarters can be had for a very low price, and tinder can be acquired for $0. Just clean out your dryer lint and put a coating of petroleum jelly on it. You can get Bic lighters for a very small amount of money, though I've always had trouble working them.

A nice multitool wouldn't hurt, but some are rather expensive. I know Gerber makes a multitool that costs around $15, Clutch is what it is called, I believe.

Maps and such are free, thanks to the internet and printers, and a decent compass shouldn't cost much.

Water filters are a different story, because I have yet to find one that is inexpensive, but tablets are fairly cheap.

As for a bag, any bag will do, but a backpack is preferrable. JanSport makes reliable backpacks, and some of them cost as low as $30.

That's all I have at the moment, I'm sure some other forum members could provide more assistance.
Hell, that's a nice job :)

CorathSS

Post by CorathSS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:42 am

Being a Fatalist..a BoB..is low on my list heh.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:55 am

CorathSS wrote:Got a lot of that..being a smoker, I have about 5 Bics..and a Zippo, a real zippo..
Well quit smoking and you'll magically have more money! haha

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:54 pm

Nightside_Eclipse wrote:
CorathSS wrote:Got a lot of that..being a smoker, I have about 5 Bics..and a Zippo, a real zippo..
+1
Zombies man.....They creep Me out. - Dennis Hopper Land Of The Dead

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:19 pm

CaptainZ wrote:
Nightside_Eclipse wrote:
+1
I'm currently a smoker, and regard it as one of the main weak points in my survivability. I'd do fine if cigarettes were suddenly unavailable (I've quite for a month or two several times; my weakness is when those around me are smoking, mostly) but I've definately noticed I have less wind than I used to, and the cost does add up. So I strongly advocate quitting, or at least cutting back, on smoking.

What I would do, if I were in your position, is take an inventory of what you already have.

Check this link for some handy hints; it's very no-BS and emphasizes practicality over tactical fun toys and gearwhorishness:

http://www.bob-oracle.com/

But, basically, if you buy a few cans of canned food and a few bottles of drinking water every time you go shopping, and stash them away, you'll build up a decent bug-in kit in no time. Household bleach, which is a staple cleaner especially for bathrooms, can be used to purify water for drinking in a pinch. A good friend of mine is a survivalist on a very tight budget and he does rather well by frequenting flea markets and discount grocery stores.

Glockmeister

Post by Glockmeister » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:27 pm

CorathSS,..Try ebay. They usually have Medium ALICE packs with straps for a great price. Some of the packs are very nearly new! Sometimes you can get'em for 5 or 6 bucks plus shipping.
Glockmeister

Molon Labe!

misanthropist

Post by misanthropist » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:28 pm

Well, unless you have somewhere to go, a BOB is pretty well useless anyway. I would focus on keeping extra food and water and a cheap rifle around the house. Grab a cheap SKS and a thousand rounds of ammo...no matter how broke you are, that won't take more than a few months to save up for.
DocGKR wrote:.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

CorathSS

Post by CorathSS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:10 pm

If you prepare to remain stationary, but have to move, your fracked.

Sides..I live in WI, why would I wanna stay here.

misanthropist

Post by misanthropist » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:22 pm

If you prepare to sit it out, chances are all that will happen is your backpack will be heavier than someone with a dedicated BOB. You will throw a lighter, a knife, some food and water, and outerwear appropriate to the season, in whatever pack you have, and go. So what?

Lots of guys, OTOH, invest heavily in a BOB, with the intention of what? Wandering off into the forest? That is MUCH worse than trying to move an inconvenient pack load!

Bugging out is only useful if you have somewhere to go. Otherwise, try to get yourself as well set up as you can at home.
DocGKR wrote:.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:51 pm

Lots of stuff can be had around the house for cheap to nothing.

Canteen. A Plastic soda bottle is in many ways better than a Nalgene canteen. Heck you can even get a wide mouth plastic beverage bottle.

Fire starter: Lighters are dirt-cheap and so are matches. Cotton balls mixed with Vaseline are better than any tinder and you can mix them up for near nothing.

Shelter. Cheap tarps can be had at China Mart for 5 bucks.

Water purification tabs are also cheap and can be gotten at the same place as the tarp.

Cordage: Fishing line works for some things and you must have some kinda rope lying around.

Extra clothes like socks and underwear and NON COTTON shirts etc. A Hat and gloves are very important and most people have them around the house.

A knife: Even an extra kitchen knife is better than nothing but most people have something lying around.

The pack: Nothing wrong with a gym bag etc.

Food.

Heck there must be some in your place. Anything. Cans are heavy but food is food. You can pack a bottle of water and have a real good canteen after too.

Medical kit. See what is lying around. Any rubbing alcohol? Bandages? etc. Most drug stores sell small first aid kits for fewer than 10 bucks.

Flashlight.

A LED can be gotten for fewer than ten bucks but if things are real tight most people have some kinda flashlight in the house.

I must have missed some stuff but I bet you could make a BOB for almost no cash that would make you better off than 99% of the sheep walking around thinking that a cell phone and Credit card is all they need. You can then upgrade things over time.

Check your camping gear. You may have items that can be tossed into a BOB. But don't count on holding up in your home. Anything can happen so have a back up plain aka BOB. Camping gear works good for a BOB unless you are thinking FEMA will provide a Cot and a warm meal. Somehow I just don't want to risk that.

Edit:

"Wandering off into the forest?"

Crap that is just what I am going to do. :D
Last edited by Woods Walker on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

luctus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 04
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by luctus » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:56 pm

If you don't think your current location would fare well in a bad situation, try to come up with at least one other place you could go, preferably out of the way. Any family near enough to conceivably reach on foot but far enough away that their situation would be different from yours? As others have mentioned, unless you're experienced and prepared, wandering off into the woods isn't the best idea.

Otherwise you could come up with ideas to improve your present location, e.g. having nails (rather cheap at most hardware stores) and wood (can be found discarded many places) on hand, stockpiling canned food, water, etc.

--luctus
sic transit gloria

CorathSS

Post by CorathSS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:33 pm

Well, my theory for my exfil was simple...get to northern WI, where even if the cabin my family owns IS crawling, there is maybe..2000 people in a 40 mile radius or some such, not to mention weapons and ammo galore cause we hunt up there..

Hardest part will be the driving, then again, I can steal new wheels as I go. Like that deader will need em, right?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:41 pm

Sounds like good Bug Out Land. Just make certain you have a wood stove in that cabin and a good pile of wood. If it snows than the road may be down in a Bug Out. Ever cross country ski or snow shoe?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

mark

Post by mark » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:51 pm

my friend if you have walmart you can have the poormans bob

Keep in mind something is always better than nothing, but you should always add something to your bob one inawhile to improve it

$10 BOB - AKA Poormans BOB

-99 cent walmart flashlight (2 AA)
-99 cent walmart knife
-Bottle of water
-2 energy/protien/candy bars
-$1.99 walmart compass
-99 cent lighter/ box of matches
-99 cent Rain poncho
-99 cent space blanket

Put in a spare backback or large plastic bag and whooooom! you are more prepared than the majority of American. You can also supplement any spare stuff in your house instead of buying it if you wish. Start small and add things once ina while. The BOB above is what i began with around the age of 15 and i kept it in my school backback till school time came then it went into shoprite plastic bag :lol:

o and while i cant say just quit smoking (easier said than done and any moron can say just quit) if you cut down slightly by the time you have used 2 packs less than usual you will be able to get a poormans bob

CorathSS

Post by CorathSS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:04 am

It does have a wood burner stove, and a goodly supply of wood, not to mention surrounded by Trees.

As for those items, I have them all, but I'd hardly want to rely on that trying to get 8 hours away, driving at over 60.

And I've done both sking and snow shoeing, though, I'll have to admit, Sking is a weak point..

Jimmy_J

Post by Jimmy_J » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:38 pm

for those that would like cheap yet decent quality cutlery/tools for their BoBs, check out http://www.coastcutlery.com
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell

- Jim ^_^

CorathSS

Post by CorathSS » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:04 am

Not trying to advertise here, but cutco is an amazing knife, if not pricey.

I so want their Cleaver.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:15 pm

CorathSS wrote:Not trying to advertise here, but cutco is an amazing knife, if not pricey.

I so want their Cleaver.
My wife's got a set of cutco knives; they are in my opinion among the better of the economy kitchen knives. Professional chefs scoff at them, but for the average kitchen user, they're a good knife for the money. Their scissors, on the other hand, are amazing. I need to get me a new pair of cutco scissors. I had a friend who worked as a salesman for them, he showed me the demo where they cut a penny into a spiral with those scissors. Awesome. The micro-marco serration pattern in their steak knives seems to have anticipated the serration pattern on a lot of tatical knives we're seeing today, as well. But man, those scissors...

Return to “Bug Out Gear”