BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9168
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:22 pm

I was intrigued by this. I may have to consider one at some point for my trailer. There's also a smoking deal on 170w panels in the video.

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7393
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Came across this post while searching the forums for something else. Sorry I missed it the first time around, NT2C.

I recently purchased something along the same lines, but with less features and a lower storage capacity: a Rockpals 350 watt power station. Ostensibly it's to power my CPAP machine while camping or during power outages. You can buy a dedicated battery pack for CPAPs, but they are obscenely expensive and have very limited capability beyond their intended purpose.

These portable power stations, sometimes inaccurately called "solar generators", provide a number of AC and DC output options as well as multiple ways to recharge the unit itself. That opens up some intriguing possibilities in a grid down situation. In addition to the CPAP, the unit I have will power a number of household AC appliances, including the Rinnai propane heater that serves as the primary heat source in my miniscule home. I don't imagine it would run it for more than a day or two, but it would certainly get me through the first night of a howling snowstorm. That would spare me having to venture out into the elements to set up my gasoline generator.

About the only disadvantage of going with the power station rather than a dedicated CPAP battery pack is that I can't bring the Rockpals with me on airplanes. Even though a dedicated unit uses the same type of lithium battery, it's technically considered a medical device and therefore exempt from the no-fly rule.

But I have a hard time imagining where I'd fly that wouldn't have AC power. And as a prepper, that's a small tradeoff for all the extra capability these power stations offer.

I've watched a number of Hobotech reviews on YT. He seems like a very knowledgeable resource. And the Bluetti brand is very highly regarded. Rockpals is more of a budget alternative.

User avatar
EBuff75
* *
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Location: SE Michigan

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by EBuff75 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Will Prowse on YouTube did a favorable review the pre-production unit and provided an affiliate link to the Kickstarter campaign. Now, he has backed off his endorsement after getting complaints from his subscribers. Apparently, they are upset and claiming some units aren't functioning properly and that deliveries on them are running way behind schedule. Here's the video he did about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvuThT86FNU

I stumbled across the campaign late and felt bummed that I'd missed out. That was until I saw how they ran it. Low initial price (I believe it was $999 at first) with a limited number of units at that price. When they were out, add $100-200 to the price and make another batch available. Rinse, repeat. By the time I came across the campaign, they were something like $600 above where the price had started (60% increase), although all the links that I followed to get there from various reviewers had stated lower prices (as did the detailed text on the Kickstarter page). It felt sort of sketchy to me and I noped out. Now I'm glad that I did, given the issues which are being reported!

I've seen campaigns which add new tiers at a higher price, but that was usually to get around limitations on having the same price for different offerings after unexpectedly selling out the initial run of something. Those would generally add a few dollars to the price and then offer more of them so that more people could get in on whatever they were offering. Jacking the price up 10% or more each time after deliberately limiting the number of units just felt like a money grab.

PsycoBob
* *
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:01 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil series
Location: Auburn, NY

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by PsycoBob » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:33 pm

Not specifically about this unit, feel free to ignore me.

I was using freebie APC smart-ups units, and a cable adapter to plug into military trucks. They charge batteries when plugged in, and provide clean power when not. Not the most efficient, but they were free from businesses when the internal batteries wore out.

My "desktop" ups is a big 2200va, with a 48v battery. Apparently, Lithium ion batteries work well at 24 and 48v, in 7s or 14s strings. An ebike 48v pack would work well with my big UPS, at about the same price as the OEM pack. For bigger stuff, used Nissan Leaf battery packs are popular.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6445
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Would this genny be a whorthwhile investment?

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1614
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by boskone » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 pm
Would this genny be a whorthwhile investment?
What're you planning to put on it? And do with it?

Not speaking to quality, just power. 800W isn't much; a typical US household circuit will be 1,800W (15A@120V).

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6445
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:08 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 pm
Would this genny be a whorthwhile investment?
What're you planning to put on it? And do with it? Not speaking to quality, just power. 800W isn't much; a typical US household circuit will be 1,800W (15A@120V).
To recharge this. It's for my CPAP.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9168
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:53 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:08 am
boskone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 pm
Would this genny be a whorthwhile investment?
What're you planning to put on it? And do with it? Not speaking to quality, just power. 800W isn't much; a typical US household circuit will be 1,800W (15A@120V).
To recharge this. It's for my CPAP.
That's going to depend on a few things, the first being what is the current draw while it's recharging? I looked at the tech specs in the manual and nowhere am I seeing that bit of info, just that the current limit for the whole unit is 10A, but that includes it recharging while running at max capacity. Under that spec your genny is 450 watts short, even at its max output, which is not how you want to run a genny. Ideally, you want about 1/2 load on one for best fuel efficiency and least strain on the unit.

But, I just happen to have a way I think I can test this for you. We have a similar UPS on my wife's two work monitors and her docking station and I own a wattmeter. I can discharge it this weekend and plug it into the wattmeter to recharge it and see what the draw is. Should give us an idea of how much capacity you'll need to charge yours.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6445
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: BLUETTI AC200 Portable Power Station

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:06 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:53 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:08 am
boskone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:55 pm
Would this genny be a whorthwhile investment?
What're you planning to put on it? And do with it? Not speaking to quality, just power. 800W isn't much; a typical US household circuit will be 1,800W (15A@120V).
To recharge this. It's for my CPAP.
That's going to depend on a few things, the first being what is the current draw while it's recharging? I looked at the tech specs in the manual and nowhere am I seeing that bit of info, just that the current limit for the whole unit is 10A, but that includes it recharging while running at max capacity. Under that spec your genny is 450 watts short, even at its max output, which is not how you want to run a genny. Ideally, you want about 1/2 load on one for best fuel efficiency and least strain on the unit.

But, I just happen to have a way I think I can test this for you. We have a similar UPS on my wife's two work monitors and her docking station and I own a wattmeter. I can discharge it this weekend and plug it into the wattmeter to recharge it and see what the draw is. Should give us an idea of how much capacity you'll need to charge yours.
:D :clap: :awesome:

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”