tent heater?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
Varandelo
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:23 am

tent heater?

Post by Varandelo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:04 am

hi all, i'm new here. i found this forum when i looked for tent heaters. sorry if it's off-topic.
anyone have exp. with tent heaters?
do they put out good heat for a 2 man dome tent?
type of fuel?
how long do they last?
safety issues?

basically, i want something to knock the chill out of the air. GA Winters are hit & miss, might be 20 deg. one night, 60 another

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7278
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: tent heater?

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:42 am

Welcome to the forums!

If you're really talking about a 2 person tent, my recommendation would be a good winter bag and maybe one of those Zippo personal heaters (although they're smelly in operation). A tent that small doesn't really safely lend itself to having any other discrete heat source in there with you, your bag, gear and perhaps another person. At least not one that requires combustion.

Larger tents can be heated with a wood fired tent stove or - for short term use - a Mr. Heater Buddy propane heater.

User avatar
RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:00 pm
Location: Eastern OR

Re: tent heater?

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:50 am

I have spent many a night in a heated shelter via the wood burning stove and fiberglass stove jack option. I like it a lot for the winters here in OR, but comes with a lot of work, especially if the wood in your area was already pretty wet when the snows/freeze came.

As far as heating a more traditional tent, I like what majorhavoc had to say. I’ll caveat on that by saying I have had great success putting hot water in a Nalgene bottle, and putting that inside my bag. I like to do it before I got to bed that way I’ve got a nice warm bag to slide into. Of course this doesn’t take the morning chill off when you have to get up, which is my favorite part of having a heated shelter. What part of GA? If I was in north GA mountains, I’d consider the heated shelter option. If more down south, perhaps the warm bottle and just sucking up the occasional cold is more in order.

Let me know as I’ve had tipis from all the big 3 and can help you out on that front.
High Explosive, Dual Purpose.

behindyou
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Night of the living dead, The walking dead (series), Zombieland
Location: Washington, USA

Re: tent heater?

Post by behindyou » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:59 pm

Varandelo wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:04 am
hi all, i'm new here. i found this forum when i looked for tent heaters. sorry if it's off-topic.
anyone have exp. with tent heaters?
do they put out good heat for a 2 man dome tent?
type of fuel?
how long do they last?
safety issues?

basically, i want something to knock the chill out of the air. GA Winters are hit & miss, might be 20 deg. one night, 60 another
In smaller tents even a candle may generate good heat. A real small tent will be warmed by your presence. But a lot of this also depends on what type of cold it is and where you are. So any extra details are always welcome :)
But for a 2 man dome I'd recommend you to get a warmer sleeping bag or add a warm throw over your bags as well, as it would be more effective. For a small tent heater is an overkill as other guys already mentioned. But as another option you might try electro pad that uses a 12 volt battery. I found some reports in other communities about getting several days of use before draining a standard battery when used on 'low'.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14173
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: tent heater?

Post by Stercutus » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:17 am

I have not used this but love the design.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHGDr81 ... =emb_title[/YouTube]
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Zed Hunter
* * *
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

Re: tent heater?

Post by Zed Hunter » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:26 am

Get a medium sized dog. Smelly but very warm.

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: tent heater?

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:38 pm

for occasional use Mr. Buddy heaters seem the most popular, I was recently camping with someone that was heating a 3-man dome tent with one, but he had to swap out the 1lb cylinders at least once during the night. The size and weight is a non-starter for backpacking, but for car camping it might be an option; an adaptor hose and a 20lb bulk tank would cut the cost down considerably.

In Japan I see a lot of folks use those large free-standing kerosene heaters in larger tents; also huge and heavy, and liquid fuel has its own hassles, also a non-starter for smaller tents.

I've heard candle lanterns recommended for smaller tents; they can be hung relatively safely with some care but I don't know how much heat to expect.

I use floorless tipis with titanium woodstoves. They don't heat the tent over night but are great for warming up in the morning and drying gear. They are a significant investment in money and time to use, and require a lot of special consideration in regards to tent installation and use.

Image

Image

Image

Image
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

RoneKiln
* * * *
Posts: 819
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: tent heater?

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:36 am

I have several inserts for my sleeping bag that allow me to add or subtract layers to fit a wide range of temperatures. They work far better for temperature swings than just getting a heavier bag. As others have mentioned, I've also found candle lanterns to add a fair amount of heat. Somewhere on this forum is a great guide to making a tiny wood gas stove. Not sure I'd want to risk using up that much oxygen in a tent, but it might help warm a tent up before going to sleep.

My bag(s) also can zip together to turn them into a larger double bag for two people, and I've found two people in one bag is FAR warmer than each in their own (not tried adding the thermal inserts this way). If you're lucky enough to be camping with someone you want close, try finding bags that zip together.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8330
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: tent heater?

Post by NT2C » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7278
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: tent heater?

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Most of these options make no sense for a 2-person dome tent, as OP specified. Supplemental heating in a tent that small isn't practical unless it's a personal heat source: hot water bottle, electric vest, Zippo hand warmer, or a willing tent-mate.

I continue to maintain a good winter bag is the answer. I probably also should have mentioned a good hat.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: tent heater?

Post by moab » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 pm

I think a teepee tent with stove hole and proper heat protection is the answer. Isn't that called a "stove jack" or am I having a fever dream?

Teepee tents are also the lightest as they have no floor or fly. But then you add in the stove and it's an equal playing field. So you've got a dome tent for spring, summer and maybe part of fall. And then you use your teepee tent and stove in the winter. OR just use the teepee tent year around with and without the stove.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6341
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Location: St Louis

Re: tent heater?

Post by PistolPete » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:56 pm

I've used both a Buddy heater and a wood stove in a small tent. The Buddy heater is on the verge of being too hot, even on it's lowest setting. You get about 6 hours of of a small propane canister.

The wood stove I puts out a more reasonable about of heat, but if you don't have good wood you have to stoke it pretty often. The first night I ran it in a 3 person teepee (with a stove jack) in 15 degree weather I had to feed it every 2 hours. If I had more solid wood it would have lasted longer, but the area I was in only allowed for collecting branches from the ground. I went through a surprising amount of wood each night.

As others have mentioned, a long burning candle may give just the right amount of heat for a 2 person stove. And it your tent won't have to be as ventilated as it would be if you ran a more robust heat source.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain
Image

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: tent heater?

Post by moab » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:25 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:56 pm
I've used both a Buddy heater and a wood stove in a small tent. The Buddy heater is on the verge of being too hot, even on it's lowest setting. You get about 6 hours of of a small propane canister.

The wood stove I puts out a more reasonable about of heat, but if you don't have good wood you have to stoke it pretty often. The first night I ran it in a 3 person teepee (with a stove jack) in 15 degree weather I had to feed it every 2 hours. If I had more solid wood it would have lasted longer, but the area I was in only allowed for collecting branches from the ground. I went through a surprising amount of wood each night.

As others have mentioned, a long burning candle may give just the right amount of heat for a 2 person stove. And it your tent won't have to be as ventilated as it would be if you ran a more robust heat source.
I wonder how it would be if you ran one of those three wick 24hr candles in say a 2 man. That should keep the frost off. I know tea candles under a poncho while hunting is a nice warmer.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Robbie in ME
*
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am
Location: Maine

Re: tent heater?

Post by Robbie in ME » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:38 pm
for occasional use Mr. Buddy heaters seem the most popular, I was recently camping with someone that was heating a 3-man dome tent with one, but he had to swap out the 1lb cylinders at least once during the night. The size and weight is a non-starter for backpacking, but for car camping it might be an option; an adaptor hose and a 20lb bulk tank would cut the cost down considerably.

In Japan I see a lot of folks use those large free-standing kerosene heaters in larger tents; also huge and heavy, and liquid fuel has its own hassles, also a non-starter for smaller tents.

I've heard candle lanterns recommended for smaller tents; they can be hung relatively safely with some care but I don't know how much heat to expect.

I use floorless tipis with titanium woodstoves. They don't heat the tent over night but are great for warming up in the morning and drying gear. They are a significant investment in money and time to use, and require a lot of special consideration in regards to tent installation and use.

Image

Image

Image

Image
Interesting looking tent! It reminds me of a canvas tent my Boy Scout Troop used back in the sixties,but with no stove. Is that something you made?

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: tent heater?

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am

Robbie in ME wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am

Interesting looking tent! It reminds me of a canvas tent my Boy Scout Troop used back in the sixties,but with no stove. Is that something you made?
The stove and tents are made by Seek Outside, the tent is their "courthouse" model, which was partially based off of an old canvas range tent but adapted for silnylon. I mostly led the development of the tent but I did not sew it. It has a better volume/footprint ratio then a tipi, but obviously is much more vulnerable to wind, went camping the other night where my 6 man tipi barely stayed up, the Courthouse would not have worked at all.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: tent heater?

Post by moab » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am
Robbie in ME wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am

Interesting looking tent! It reminds me of a canvas tent my Boy Scout Troop used back in the sixties,but with no stove. Is that something you made?
The stove and tents are made by Seek Outside, the tent is their "courthouse" model, which was partially based off of an old canvas range tent but adapted for silnylon. I mostly led the development of the tent but I did not sew it. It has a better volume/footprint ratio then a tipi, but obviously is much more vulnerable to wind, went camping the other night where my 6 man tipi barely stayed up, the Courthouse would not have worked at all.
I have to ask. Who's 10/22 is that? And what did they do the stock? I get the weight savings in the buttstock. But what is that up front?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7278
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: tent heater?

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm
I have to ask. Who's 10/22 is that? And what did they do the stock? I get the weight savings in the buttstock. But what is that up front?
He corked it. Like an illegal baseball bat. :crazy:

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: tent heater?

Post by moab » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:09 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm
moab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm
I have to ask. Who's 10/22 is that? And what did they do the stock? I get the weight savings in the buttstock. But what is that up front?
He corked it. Like an illegal baseball bat. :crazy:
LMAO!!! At least he's not stealing signs. ;) (Or whatever you call them in baseball! lol.)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: tent heater?

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:19 am

moab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm

I have to ask. Who's 10/22 is that? And what did they do the stock? I get the weight savings in the buttstock. But what is that up front?
thats mine, its all weight savings. Plus it fits my bike-scabbard better with a shorter forend:

Image

I just chopped the forened down and hit it with a spade bit anywhere I could, each spade bit hole saved about 2oz and off the front of the gun where it matters more. Now my $15 hardwood stock weighs less then most synthetics on the market, and when I pull the barrel and receiver out they happen to be the exact same length as the stock. two pieces of velcro one-wrap keeps the bundle together in my bug-out duffle.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7278
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: tent heater?

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:19 am
moab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm

I have to ask. Who's 10/22 is that? And what did they do the stock? I get the weight savings in the buttstock. But what is that up front?
thats mine, its all weight savings. Plus it fits my bike-scabbard better with a shorter forend:

Image

I just chopped the forened down and hit it with a spade bit anywhere I could, each spade bit hole saved about 2oz and off the front of the gun where it matters more. Now my $15 hardwood stock weighs less then most synthetics on the market, and when I pull the barrel and receiver out they happen to be the exact same length as the stock. two pieces of velcro one-wrap keeps the bundle together in my bug-out duffle.
So you essentially did cork your bat! I know you've posted that picture in a prior thread somewhere. But let me take the opportunity here to say that your Surly, the modded 10/22, that brilliant carry system (really, the only place on bicycle where it's practical), those mustache handlebars and especially that magnificent bike horn speak volumes about the kind of person you are, all good. :wink:

Robbie in ME
*
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am
Location: Maine

Re: tent heater?

Post by Robbie in ME » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:23 am

Thanks for the reply and info. That tent looks like it would work well here in the northeast woods. BTW your Ruger reminds me of Patrick Smith's old Remington 600 Ramblin rifle.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: tent heater?

Post by moab » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:21 am
RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:19 am
moab wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm

I have to ask. Who's 10/22 is that? And what did they do the stock? I get the weight savings in the buttstock. But what is that up front?
thats mine, its all weight savings. Plus it fits my bike-scabbard better with a shorter forend:

Image

I just chopped the forened down and hit it with a spade bit anywhere I could, each spade bit hole saved about 2oz and off the front of the gun where it matters more. Now my $15 hardwood stock weighs less then most synthetics on the market, and when I pull the barrel and receiver out they happen to be the exact same length as the stock. two pieces of velcro one-wrap keeps the bundle together in my bug-out duffle.
So you essentially did cork your bat! I know you've posted that picture in a prior thread somewhere. But let me take the opportunity here to say that your Surly, the modded 10/22, that brilliant carry system (really, the only place on bicycle where it's practical), those mustache handlebars and especially that magnificent bike horn speak volumes about the kind of person you are, all good. :wink:
Couldn't agree more. :)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: tent heater?

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Robbie in ME wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:23 am
Thanks for the reply and info. That tent looks like it would work well here in the northeast woods. BTW your Ruger reminds me of Patrick Smith's old Remington 600 Ramblin rifle.
oh man, I miss the golden years of Kifaru and the Kifaru forums, a lot of people asking interesting questions and coming up with real solutions. More then a few companies were born out of the old Kifaru forums, but I don't think anyone of them has really captured the spirit of what Kifaru used to be.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Robbie in ME
*
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am
Location: Maine

Re: tent heater?

Post by Robbie in ME » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:36 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:59 pm
Robbie in ME wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:23 am
Thanks for the reply and info. That tent looks like it would work well here in the northeast woods. BTW your Ruger reminds me of Patrick Smith's old Remington 600 Ramblin rifle.
oh man, I miss the golden years of Kifaru and the Kifaru forums, a lot of people asking interesting questions and coming up with real solutions. More then a few companies were born out of the old Kifaru forums, but I don't think anyone of them has really captured the spirit of what Kifaru used to be.
Yup,me too.

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”