Alpenflage clothing dye job?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Alpenflage clothing dye job?

Post by moab » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm

I'd post a pic but this forum makes it to difficult. Wish we could donate to a better software. Anyway...

Wondering if you could dye this cheap Alpenflage material. I wonder what it would turn out like if you dyed it with say olive drab RIT dye?

https://majorsurplus.com/catalog/produc ... nts-combo/
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Re: Alpenflage clothing dye job?

Post by flybynight » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 pm

moab wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm
I'd post a pic but this forum makes it to difficult. Wish we could donate to a better software. Anyway...

Wondering if you could dye this cheap Alpenflage material. I wonder what it would turn out like if you dyed it with say olive drab RIT dye?

https://majorsurplus.com/catalog/produc ... nts-combo/
Yeayou can ,but why? That pattern dissappears in Manzanita
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Likely the red would turn some shade of brown and the greens would take on a darker shade, depending on how the fabric takes the dye.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:23 pm

For thirty dollars, just go for it. It is cotton twill, from the 1950s so it should hold the dye quite easily.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:20 pm

don't bother, that fabric is some of the worst I've ever seen in surplus. It is a loose, thick weave which is both hot and not very windproof, as well as soaking up water like a sponge and taking forever to dry. The cut and features on them is about as bad as it gets as well, cannot say enough bad things about them.

the pack attaching to the jacket is also one of the worst ideas every conceived before the advent of kickstarter.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:26 am

Sportsman's Guide has some good deals on more new/modern Flecktarn style camo. Kinda like what appenflage would be if you died it.

I'm probably gonna get some for hunting season next year
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:52 am

moab wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm
In this case its not the forum but the source page. You can't directly copy an image link out of those 'magnifiy' frames. And some pages try to actually hide their images because they don't want people 'hotlinking' to them. I had to use my browser's 'inspect element' and pull the image link directly out of that page's source code. Which is easy if you watch someone do it once, but to try to explain it via text and screenshots, not so much. It took me 4x longer to type this paragraph than to pull the image, and i type fast.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:07 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:26 am
Sportsman's Guide has some good deals on more new/modern Flecktarn style camo. Kinda like what appenflage would be if you died it.

Ya. But I'd bet my last dollar - none that fit me. LOL! I'm 6'3". SG never has anything (let alone surplus in general) that fits anyone over 6".

Not that the flecktarn stuff fit. But they did have a 2xl before they sold out.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:10 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:20 pm
don't bother, that fabric is some of the worst I've ever seen in surplus. It is a loose, thick weave which is both hot and not very windproof, as well as soaking up water like a sponge and taking forever to dry. The cut and features on them is about as bad as it gets as well, cannot say enough bad things about them.

the pack attaching to the jacket is also one of the worst ideas every conceived before the advent of kickstarter.
I don't want to do it now. Thanks Ronny! lol. ;)

No seriously. I'm better off just buying more multicam in my 6'3" size that fits. I was just curious about the old flecktarn. And how it would dye.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am

moab wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:07 am
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Ya. But I'd bet my last dollar - none that fit me. LOL! I'm 6'3". SG never has anything (let alone surplus in general) that fits anyone over 6".

Amen to that I wear a LG or XL it seems SG only has small or Medium on most things.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:41 pm

raptor wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am
moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Amen to that I wear a LG or XL it seems SG only has small or Medium on most things.
Finally someone on here that gets it. There was another guy on here who was famously way over 6 feet. But I don't recall his username. Wore a trenchcoat and carried an ALICE pack. His avatar was a pic of him in a hat with a big beard. Hasn't been around in a long time.

Anyway. I love shopping for surplus. But surplus clothing is just out. I rarely find anything that fits. With the exception of current issue multicam. I did find a goretex shell that fit me in USGI multicam. And goretex pants in UKGI multicam or whatever their name is for it. It's the only reason I use multicam as camo. It's the only thing that fits and that I can get everything in. There are better camo patterns. But nothing that fits like multicam. I also have a full set of clothing in multicam. Including fleece, pants, shirts, outershells, medium baselayers, hats etc. But it was very hard to find. And my web gear. If I could find all that in modern flecktern or CAdpat or ATACS I would.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm

raptor wrote:
moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

They have XL and 2XL in the gear I'm looking at. From the staff responses, it's not labelled on the website in the Euro sizes that typically run small, they are adjusted to USA sizing.

I'm 6'0", around 240 and I'm wide up top (I power lift) so I need big stuff that isn't made for little Euro soccer players.

So if I get some, I'll report back.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:52 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm
raptor wrote:
moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

They have XL and 2XL in the gear I'm looking at. From the staff responses, it's not labelled on the website in the Euro sizes that typically run small, they are adjusted to USA sizing.

I'm 6'0", around 240 and I'm wide up top (I power lift) so I need big stuff that isn't made for little Euro soccer players.

So if I get some, I'll report back.
Ya. I need at least a 3xl. If not a 4xl depending on what I need to put on under it. I await your report. :)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:16 pm

I'm taller. You should have seen me trying to shop in Europe in last Summer.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:16 pm
Yeah aren't you like 6'5"?

My buddy from the UK bought me a team jersey over there as a gift, asked me what size shirt I wear. I told him XL or XXL to be safe. Thing is like tryna put on spandex. My wetsuit fits less snug than that thing.

I guess they don't raise them on corn and growth hormone over there.

But what is frustrating with US sizes, as both Ster and Moab know since they are Giants, many companies don't make things taller as sizes increase. So many times I've tried XL and XXL things, only for the 2X to be fatter. Especially annoying with foul weather gear when I want my butt covered.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:

When I bought that Alpenflage set they had it in all sizes ( sportsmans guide ). I think that was the first time I bought something in 2X or 3X . And I bought it to wear over other clothes. So the fit was fine. Baggy but fine. I bought it for bow hunting in the Angeles national forest where there is a lot of Manzinita brush , so like I said it just disappeared in that . I really liked that set. Just recently found the jacket attach pack. Never did figure that thing out. Never worked well.( which would be the reason I found the pack with other stuff). Have no idea where the pants and jacket is. Think I paid like 12 bucks for it back in the mid 90's .

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:07 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 pm
RonnyRonin wrote:

When I bought that Alpenflage set they had it in all sizes ( sportsmans guide ). I think that was the first time I bought something in 2X or 3X . And I bought it to wear over other clothes. So the fit was fine. Baggy but fine. I bought it for bow hunting in the Angeles national forest where there is a lot of Manzinita brush , so like I said it just disappeared in that . I really liked that set. Just recently found the jacket attach pack. Never did figure that thing out. Never worked well.( which would be the reason I found the pack with other stuff). Have no idea where the pants and jacket is. Think I paid like 12 bucks for it back in the mid 90's .
I used to shoot at that rifle range out there.

Ya. Finding stuff that is really 3 or 4xl is a huge pain. I rarely find stuff that fits me. So when I do I buy it straight away. It took years to fill my BOB with items I could actually wear in camo. Camo is hard to find in large sizes. Although if you don't mind civilian camo patterns bigcamo.com is a good place. They also have stuff in plain colors. Ster might find something there he likes.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:16 pm
Bigcamo.com has a lot of oversized outdoor clothing. Not just camo either. That's about the only place I can find stuff to fit me. But you have to be careful. Because sometimes big and tall stuff comes bigger. So a 2xl will actually be a 3xl. But bigcamo does a good job of telling you exactly how they will fit. And what the dimensions are. Columbia also makes big sizes. Which is fortunate. They are about the only outdoor clothing company that makes larger sizes. No one else literally makes anything bigger than a 2xl. And even then it's a EU cut so it fits way to small.

Someone mentioned liking their clothes to fit down past their waist. Big pet peeve of mine. I'm to the point now where I have all my clothes tailored. I find something that fits in the waist but looks like sailor pants in the legs. So I have them taken in. Same with my tshirts. I buy a size too big to fit my shoulders. And then have the huge "gangster" sleeves taken in. I hate those big sleeves. Much prefer a classic fit tshirt. Once I move back to Seattle I'm going to have a company there take in my UKGI goretex pants. They fit in the waist but the legs are like sails. Ridiculously huge. My USGI goretex jacket could use another 3 inches in length. But nothing your gonna do about that. Just don't bend over a lot in the rain I guess. lol.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 am

2XL American is a little big in the middle for me and a little short. 3XL is way too baggy but just tall enough. There is some variation based on where it is made and what material. I never found any European 3XL and the 2XL stuff makes me look like the Hulk busting out of stuff. I did find a decent suit but the guy had to get the absolute largest size he had.

I guess around here I am in the top 10-15% in height and maybe top 33% for weight (being Alabama we lots of obese people around here). It is kind of funny and sad that anyone European sized around here is assumed to be on Meth. The sad part is that assumption is correct more often than not.

The US Army camo sizes will fit any person from 4'9" to 6'10" of practically any weight except for a pure butterball. You just have to find the right sizes.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Not to derail further, I went to order some Flecktarn colored "jigsaw" camo from Sportsman's Guide (I think they have 3xl and supposedly run large as well).

But anyways, $25 to ship to Alaska. So basically I'm deciding whether I want to risk the clothing for that shipping, or consider joining as a member (30 day free trial) for free shipping.

I might just give up and worry about it next year.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:46 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:42 pm
Not to derail further, I went to order some Flecktarn colored "jigsaw" camo from Sportsman's Guide (I think they have 3xl and supposedly run large as well).

But anyways, $25 to ship to Alaska. So basically I'm deciding whether I want to risk the clothing for that shipping, or consider joining as a member (30 day free trial) for free shipping.

It's almost winter. Shouldn't you be shopping for

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:51 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:07 pm
flybynight wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:

Ya. Finding stuff that is really 3 or 4xl is a huge pain. I rarely find stuff that fits me. So when I do I buy it straight away. It took years to fill my BOB with items I could actually wear in camo. Camo is hard to find in large sizes. Although if you don't mind civilian camo patterns bigcamo.com is a good place. They also have stuff in plain colors. Ster might find something there he likes.
Are you talking about Angeles shooting range or the shooting areas up in the hills? Man I can tell you some funny and creepy stories about the shooting area called Middles off the Angeles Forrest road.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:09 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:42 pm

I hate that about SG. I've never joined. Because I've rarely found anything that fits me. But $25 shipping. I'd pay for the membership.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:09 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:51 pm
moab wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:07 pm
flybynight wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:

Are you talking about Angeles shooting range or the shooting areas up in the hills? Man I can tell you some funny and creepy stories about the shooting area called Middles off the Angeles Forrest road.
The actual shooting range.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”