Headlamps?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Headlamps?

Post by moab » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:26 pm

My old headlamp only runs 11 hours on low with an AA battery. I was tripping around the sales at The Cymb. And found this:

https://www.theclymb.com/Product.aspx?l ... 55&s=00000

It's a discontinued headlamp from Black Diamond. And the price is right at $16. Anyone talk me out of this for something better in this price range? It has an incredible run time compared to my old headlamp. But it does run AAA's. And my outfit is limited to AA's. But I guess I could throw some rechargeables in the mix. Oh. And I don't know shit about headlamps. ;)

I like this one cause it's green, it has long run times, it has red mode for reading maps etc., and it's cheap.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6152
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Headlamps?

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:00 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:26 pm
My old headlamp only runs 11 hours on low with an AA battery. I was tripping around the sales at The Cymb. And found this:

https://www.theclymb.com/Product.aspx?l ... 55&s=00000

It's a discontinued headlamp from Black Diamond. And the price is right at $16. Anyone talk me out of this for something better in this price range? It has an incredible run time compared to my old headlamp. But it does run AAA's. And my outfit is limited to AA's. But I guess I could throw some rechargeables in the mix. Oh. And I don't know shit about headlamps. ;)

I like this one cause it's green, it has long run times, it has red mode for reading maps etc., and it's cheap.
The price is right...hmmm...discontinued...ygwypf.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3355
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Headlamps?

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Wife and myself really like this light. May not have the red light feature and it's 50 lumens less , but it's plenty bright enough for us. Only uses a single AA. Long run time , comfortable head lamp use and can be detached from the headband and handheld. Not expensive.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Headlamps?

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Wife and myself really like this light. May not have the red light feature and it's 50 lumens less , but it's plenty bright enough for us. Only uses a single AA. Long run time , comfortable head lamp use and can be detached from the headband and handheld. Not expensive.
this is the right form factor for sure. The hinge on many traditional headlamps is a weak point,the one piece body that just pivots in a holder is the best I've found by far.

I use the zebralight version of that, if there had been more cheaper knockoffs back then when I was shopping I may have caved, but I don't regret getting one. One of the other advantages of a zebralight is you can get neutral tints if you don't care for the harsh blue/white LED light. The crazy crazy dim mode is WAY more useful then I could have every imagined.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Headlamps?

Post by moab » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:22 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 pm
flybynight wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Wife and myself really like this light. May not have the red light feature and it's 50 lumens less , but it's plenty bright enough for us. Only uses a single AA. Long run time , comfortable head lamp use and can be detached from the headband and handheld. Not expensive.
this is the right form factor for sure. The hinge on many traditional headlamps is a weak point,the one piece body that just pivots in a holder is the best I've found by far.

I use the zebralight version of that, if there had been more cheaper knockoffs back then when I was shopping I may have caved, but I don't regret getting one. One of the other advantages of a zebralight is you can get neutral tints if you don't care for the harsh blue/white LED light. The crazy crazy dim mode is WAY more useful then I could have every imagined.
That's pretty much what I have now. Although I can't find battery life specs for the one posted above. But all I can find for mine is a user test of 20+ hours on low beam. I've never tested. But that pales in comparison to the one I originally posted.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
Towanda
* * * * *
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:02 am
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: Headlamps?

Post by Towanda » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:42 pm

Take a look at the Thrunite TH20. I replaced my Black Diamond Storm with one of these. It will run on either a 14500 Li-ion or a single AA.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

Image
SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

User avatar
wolf_from_wv
* * *
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:54 pm
Location: North Central West Virginia

Re: Headlamps?

Post by wolf_from_wv » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:48 pm

I like to have two, depending on the task. I like to have one very bright one - 350 lumens or higher so I can see what I am working on or in. A less powerful light - less than 100 lumens - is helpful when trying to read something.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

gary83
*
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Headlamps?

Post by gary83 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 pm

I like my Black Diamond Revolt. It is rechargeable and standard batteries can be used also.

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1700
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Headlamps?

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 pm

wolf_from_wv wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:48 pm
I like to have two, depending on the task. I like to have one very bright one - 350 lumens or higher so I can see what I am working on or in. A less powerful light - less than 100 lumens - is helpful when trying to read something.
why not have both features in one light? my Zebralight goes from 300L down to 1L>, the 18650 zebralights can crank out over 1000L but still drop down below 1L with a few taps.

everyone talks about the brightest lights, I think going down into the single digits is highly underrated, especially to read while someone is driving or trying to sleep right next to you.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8961
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Headlamps?

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:50 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 pm
wolf_from_wv wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:48 pm
I like to have two, depending on the task. I like to have one very bright one - 350 lumens or higher so I can see what I am working on or in. A less powerful light - less than 100 lumens - is helpful when trying to read something.
why not have both features in one light? my Zebralight goes from 300L down to 1L>, the 18650 zebralights can crank out over 1000L but still drop down below 1L with a few taps.

everyone talks about the brightest lights, I think going down into the single digits is highly underrated, especially to read while someone is driving or trying to sleep right next to you.
Because, higher output lights tend to be on the weighty side, while lower power lights can be very lightweight. There are always trade-offs when it comes to lights. High power usually requires greater heat dissipation, which often results in beefy metal heat sinks, combined with higher capacity battery requirements. An effective single-digit headlight can be made lightweight enough that you'd barely notice you're wearing it (the head strap would probably be the heaviest part), lighter even than your Zebralight. Low output headlamps can get by with lightweight batteries, such as a single AAA rechargeable, instead of the heavy 18650 a high output light might require. It's all relative.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Re: Headlamps?

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:42 pm

My favorite is the Armytek Wizard. Hard to beat the power of a 18650. The AT Elf is also good.

Image

Image

behindyou
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Night of the living dead, The walking dead (series), Zombieland
Location: Washington, USA

Re: Headlamps?

Post by behindyou » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 am

moab wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:26 pm
My old headlamp only runs 11 hours on low with an AA battery. I was tripping around the sales at The Cymb. And found this:

https://www.theclymb.com/Product.aspx?l ... 55&s=00000

It's a discontinued headlamp from Black Diamond. And the price is right at $16. Anyone talk me out of this for something better in this price range? It has an incredible run time compared to my old headlamp. But it does run AAA's. And my outfit is limited to AA's. But I guess I could throw some rechargeables in the mix. Oh. And I don't know shit about headlamps. ;)

I like this one cause it's green, it has long run times, it has red mode for reading maps etc., and it's cheap.
Used a similar one while running. It's pretty lightweight and you really won't notice it while moving, so it was perfect for me.
Last edited by behindyou on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)
Location: North Jersey
Contact:

Re: Headlamps?

Post by JackBauer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:24 pm

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

RoneKiln
* * * *
Posts: 916
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Headlamps?

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:32 pm

You really can't lose paying $16 for any light made by Black Diamond. I like having a headlamp in the car, by my door, in my go bag, and in the garage. It's not the sort of thing you can easily have too many of. At $16 you'll still appreciate it even if you invest in a far higher quality one.

Of the half dozen types I've had over the years, my current favorite is a petzl Tikka upgraded with petzl's rechargable battery (recharges with any micro usb cord). I use it several times a week for 10 to 15 minutes at a time (it lives by my door and is my first grabbed light) and I've not needed to recharge it in over a year. It's a very simple one setting light.

REI had the baby version on sale for less than $12 this last holiday season. I ordered a box full of them and gave them to my whole crew at work. They love them.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

zombiegirl23
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:12 pm

Re: Headlamps?

Post by zombiegirl23 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:57 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Wife and myself really like this light. May not have the red light feature and it's 50 lumens less , but it's plenty bright enough for us. Only uses a single AA. Long run time , comfortable head lamp use and can be detached from the headband and handheld. Not expensive.
That looks like a good one. I like the Foxelli Headlamp better though. I have it now and works great.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3355
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Headlamps?

Post by flybynight » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:27 pm

zombiegirl23 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:57 pm
flybynight wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Wife and myself really like this light. May not have the red light feature and it's 50 lumens less , but it's plenty bright enough for us. Only uses a single AA. Long run time , comfortable head lamp use and can be detached from the headband and handheld. Not expensive.
That looks like a good one. I like the Foxelli Headlamp better though. I have it now and works great.
5000 mostly 4-5 five star reviews and only ten bucks. Can't beat that. I notice reviews reporting battery drain even when light is off. Have you noticed this? At that price it would be worth it just toss in bag as a back up.
The pair of the Colorday headlamps my wife and I have are still going strong four years after purchase. I like that it only needs one AA battery. Unfortunately it will not work with 14500 rechargeables .
The other unfortunate ( for my wallet) thing is that since that original purchase I've become something of a lumen junkie. My next headlamp purchase will more than likely be a Fenix, Armytek or one of the other name brand super bright lights.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”