Free Olight review thread-I3E

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Free Olight review thread-I3E

Post by yossarian » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:35 pm

I figured lots of folks jumped on this and it would be interesting to see what kind of sample size we can get. Got mine today and my intention is to use the hell out of it and come back here periodically to say it's either held up or it died. Anyone else who got one is more than welcome to do the same. Initial impression is "damn that's really small and really bright". Seems well made. For the $5 shipping it was definitely worth a shot. If it holds up then it's a good deal even at retail. My Streamlight Microstream looks monstrous in comparison.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Free Olight review thread-I3E

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Mine arrived today. It's a pretty nice key chain light and certainly well worth the $5 shipping cost. The threads are nicely machined and the desert tan anodizing is flawless. The 90 lumen output seems like a good bit of light for such a small package. And it is small: about two and a quarter inches.

Having said that, it's either on or off (via twisting the head; no real switch gear on this light). With no medium or low settings, run time is advertised as a mere 45 minutes. For occasional/emergency use that's fine. But if it's a light you want to use frequently, the short run time could be a liability. I for one am not very good at estimating how many minutes I'm using my lights, much less keeping an accurate running total. If I used this light daily, I'd start getting nervous about remaining battery life after about a week of usage.

As I said in another thread, I don't actually need another key chain light; I have Nitecore Tubes on both my car and motorcycle key chains. Those are sub-$10 lights that are even lighter, USB-rechargable and have real switches with high and low output settings. Their 45 lumen max output is plenty-o-light for a key chain torch, for my needs at any rate.

On the other hand, this i3E EOS seems much better built than the Nitecore. I own an older M2 Warrior weapon light so I know Olight makes quality gear. Plus I can't resist a good deal, so here I am. Maybe I need to buy a third vehicle ...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 pm

I got mine in this afternoon's mail and so far it's pretty impressive. Nice small size, good light output, solid construction. I also note that while the light is rated for 45 minutes using alkaline batteries, it's also rated for 70 minutes using NiMh rechargeables, which I just happen to have and plan to use in the light. (My little red Manker E02 light uses them too) I'll probably attach this as a zipper pull on my jacket during fall/winter/spring but for the summer it's going in the pocket of my sweats that I wear around the house.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Holy crap this thing is tiny. Will check the light output when it gets dark ( and less than a 100 degrees )

ETA For it's size it is quite bright. To tell the truth I expected a somewhat bigger flashlight in size. I think it's worth the five bucks , but then again if I had seen this in a store . I wouldn't have given it a second glance. If I can convince the wife to add it to her edc it will find a useful place. She already carries two small 400 lumen Ultrafires that are much brighter ( three times the size. But which she loves to death) Otherwise it will stay right where I just put it. On the kitchen shelf. It's not bright enough for my use so I probably won't be carrying it.
EETA It's kinda growing on me. It actually will light up to my barn from the house 80 ft away.
Last edited by flybynight on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:11 pm

I love it. Might be short on the battery life, but I generally carry an extra battery in my pack. I keep a flashlight in my pocket. My previous one was about 90 lumens with two AAA batteries and obviously a much longer life. It also stabbed me in the leg occasionally and was a PITA. This light is a perfect replacement.

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Was really hoping mine would come in before I went on a trip this weekend, but sadly it did not.

Keep trying to convince my husband to also sign up and order one, but he doesn't want to :(
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Ellywick wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:45 pm
Was really hoping mine would come in before I went on a trip this weekend, but sadly it did not.

Keep trying to convince my husband to also sign up and order one, but he doesn't want to :(
They're out of them now. I tried to get my wife to order one but the offer was over. :(
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:05 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:44 pm
Ellywick wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:45 pm

They're out of them now. I tried to get my wife to order one but the offer was over. :(
Bummer. Well, at least I got one out of the deal. Hoping it will be in when I get back home. Been on a kick to get a bunch of keychain sized useful items, as I sometimes carry just a wallet/clutch instead of my larger EDC bag when I make a quick run out or leave my office for lunch.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:21 pm

Wootness! It came in!!! Was starting to worry it had been delivered to the wrong house, as we sometimes have issues with the mail. Haven't used it other than testing, but love that it is small enough to hang off of the ring on my wallet/clutch and is very bright for the size. Also seems really durable. Bright enough that I accidentally blinded my husband for a minute when I called him over to see it and he chose to lean down to look at it for some reason, lol.

I was only able to score one out of the deal, but if this continues to work well I might go ahead and pay full price for another one.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”