This is what I have, any suggestions?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mechphisto

This is what I have, any suggestions?

Post by Mechphisto » Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 pm

Here is my EDC I just finished putting together with my new shoulder sling bag with a molle "med" pouch attached to it.
Any suggestions on what else to put in it?
(also not mentioned in it as it's not a normal carry for me, my 9mm and spare mag)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JhcN-6 ... sp=sharing
Thanks!

flybynight

Re: This is what I have, any suggestions?

Post by flybynight » Sat May 18, 2019 11:48 pm

Flashlight, I also keep a water filter straw and small am fm weather band radio
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Sun May 19, 2019 1:11 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:48 pm
There's a flashlight listed in the "med pack." Yeah, the water filter and radio are good ideas!
Actually, maybe:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFCFKG5/re ... 4CbJD68HPK

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 19, 2019 8:46 am

Mechphisto wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:11 am
flybynight wrote:
There's a flashlight listed in the "med pack." Yeah, the water filter and radio are good ideas!
Actually, maybe:
I heard it told that there hasn't been a good crank radio since BayGen.

jryan06
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jryan06 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:03 am

tourniquet, compression bandage I realize that triangular bandages will serve in a pinch, but a good CAT tourniquet can be a real life saver

moab

Post by moab » Sun May 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:18 pm
Here is my EDC I just finished putting together with my new shoulder sling bag with a molle "med" pouch attached to it.
Any suggestions on what else to put in it?
(also not mentioned in it as it's not a normal carry for me, my 9mm and spare mag)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JhcN-6 ... sp=sharing
Thanks!
Good for you for making a list! a lot of people come on here. We give them advice. (Usually it's "start with a list".) And we never hear from them again. Good follow thru.

Can you not carry a knife where your at? Oh. I guess you have one on your multi tool. That's good enough.
Some more food. Maybe a powdered drink. (This seems like a bit more than an EDC to me. thus why I mention these items. Seems like more of a lightweight GHB.)
Maybe a change of socks.
A simple map of your city or surrounding area. Maybe county.
A couple large heavy weight or contractors plastic bags.

When I think of EDC. I think of what can go in my pockets. Or at best a belt pouch. With a small backpack like this you could make it into a lightweight GHB IMHO.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun May 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Actually, maybe:
I have a similar Chinese knock off of the Eton FR160: https://www.amazon.com/Version-iRonsnow ... 210&sr=1-3, as well as the Eton FR160 itself: https://www.amazon.com/American-Microli ... B001QTXKCE.

You can definitely see where the RunningSnail and iRonsnow get their inspiration from. I also suspect that all of those Chinese FR160 copies come from the same factory, or are at least produced with the same design specifications.

Since I own the Eton original as well as the iRonsnow, I can offer two points of comparison, which I suspect apply to the RunningSnail as well. The Chinese copy feels a bit more plasticy and the switch gear isn't as high quality as the Eton. On the other hand, I have found the iRonsnow to be perfectly functional. I was easily able to tune in some local FM stations and got a NOAA weather update on a couple of the weatherbands. The handcrank and solar features do work, as does the LED flashlight function. On all of these radios, the Eton included, the promise of recharging your cellphone is probably a cruel joke. I suppose if you were desperate to make one 3 minute call and are willing to crank for an hour ...

One recommendation if you end up going with any of these little radios: throw a cheap pair of earbuds in your kit. Plugging in the earbuds bypasses the speaker and allows you to listen quite a bit longer before having to start cranking again.

Eton original:

iRonsnow copy:

Runningsnail copy:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 pm

I own three of one of those. I bought five of them at a Walmart while visiting my daughter and her husband in Georgia just as a hurricane was approaching. They got one My other daughter got another and I brought the other three home. Function tested them put them back in the box and wrapped them in heavy duty foil. ( for the inevitable EMP attack :wink: ). I have no idea which type they would be and I don't want to unwrap all that shiny stuff.
When I mentioned radio for your edc bag I was really thinking a much smaller radio. Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Weathe ... FIRPLP65HQ

Especially if you are using a sling bag, Those usually don't have much excess space

John Titor was right

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Mon May 20, 2019 2:20 am

moab wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:32 pm
Good for you for making a list! a lot of people come on here. We give them advice. (Usually it's "start with a list".) And we never hear from them again. Good follow thru.
Oh, uh, thanks. I just like making lists; it's what I do :)
moab wrote:
Can you not carry a knife where your at? Oh. I guess you have one on your multi tool. That's good enough.
There's a lockblade knife on there in addition to the multitool, AND I carry a small Gerber lockblade in my pocket. And a Zippo. Guess "pants pocket" should go on the list :)
moab wrote:
Some more food. Maybe a powdered drink. (This seems like a bit more than an EDC to me. thus why I mention these items. Seems like more of a lightweight GHB.)
Maybe a change of socks.

When I think of EDC. I think of what can go in my pockets. Or at best a belt pouch. With a small backpack like this you could make it into a lightweight GHB IMHO.
Ah! Good suggestions, a paper map is a great backup! As a matter of fact, this IS what I consider my GBH as well as my EDC. The whole thing is small enough to be a "man purse," and it's Portland, OR... guys carry bookbags, knapsacks, murses, satchels, and outright hiking backpacks all over the place. My carrying a shoulder bag fits right in. It also carries my Chromebook, notebook, and other ordinary stuff.
But since I work from home where my BOB/INCH is, if I go anywhere I need to have a GBH with me and cars get broken into... so, it's gotta be my EDC as well.

Thanks for the tips!

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 am

flybynight wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 pm
When I mentioned radio for your edc bag I was really thinking a much smaller radio. Something like this

Especially if you are using a sling bag, Those usually don't have much excess space
That's actually just over one cubic inches of volume as one of the solar/crank radio/flashlights! So, might as well go with that :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018I4BPNU/re ... il_4?psc=1

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Mon May 20, 2019 5:33 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:46 am
Mechphisto wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Actually, maybe:
I heard it told that there hasn't been a good crank radio since BayGen.
My life gear one isn't bad.

But a battery one will last a while.

Otherwise OP.

I just use one tape. Which at the moment is strapping tape because I am focused on movement for a Bob. And that means if an ankle or knee goes I can tape it and keep moving. It also does blisters quite well. And of course holds a bandage down. And will tape stuff.

I have discovered this stuff called waxed whipping line which is strong enough to hold up a tarp. And thin enough to fit through the eye of a sail needle. And it is waxed so knots work a bit better. So instead of paracord I will use that and a stuff called hootchie cord or Venetian blind cord. Both are thinner than paracord and so I get more length for the same space.

For plastic bags I carry some larger good quality sandwich bags because they will hold water in a pinch and we have these ultra lite shopping bags. That I use for gathering. (Kindling mostly) but put the sandwich bag in the shopping bag and I can transport a heap more water than I have water bottles.

My first aid kit always has iodine because as well as an antiseptic it can purify water.

For pens I use uniball tank which is a disposable version of a space pen. Waterproof and so on.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 am

Mechphisto wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 am
flybynight wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 pm

That's actually just over one cubic inches of volume as one of the solar/crank radio/flashlights! So, might as well go with that :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018I4BPNU/re ... il_4?psc=1
Ok. I just went and relooked at it. That one is much smaller than the ones I have.

John Titor was right

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am

Mechphisto wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:20 am
AND I carry a small Gerber lockblade in my pocket. And a Zippo. Guess "pants pocket" should go on the list :)
As long as the Zippo is always in your pocket and you're refilling it regularly. Otherwise I don't recommend a Zippo as a lighter for any kind of emergency prep kit because without modification, the lighter fluid in standard Zippos evaporates so quickly.

Oh, and make sure you function test that firestarter integrated into that paracord bracelet you have on your list. A nephew who knew I was into prepping gave me one of those once. As I recall, I did check the little button compass against my Silva orienteering compass and found it to be reasonably functional, as was the whistle. But the tiny ferrocerium rod integrated into the buckle was absolute junk. I don't think I managed to throw a single spark with that thing, even after scraping off the outer finish.

Obviously, I never told him that and always make a point of wearing it whenever we go camping together. He always proudly points out to the other adults that he gave that to me. :wink:

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am
As long as the Zippo is always in your pocket and you're refilling it regularly. [...]
Oh, and make sure you function test that firestarter integrated into that paracord bracelet you have on your list. [...]
Zippo, yep, agreed. But I'm a pipe smoker so I carry it anyway :) But I agree with your caution!
I believe in redundancy (so long as it doesn't take up unnecessary space/weight to do so), which is why I ALSO have the flint/steel starter (on a thing that's also paracord, whistle, compass). And yeah, I have definitely checked if it works. Was scared at first because of the coating causing it to do nothing... then suddenly... BAM! Nice sparks! And kept sparking nicely each test after that.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Mon May 20, 2019 4:11 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:20 am
moab wrote:
Oh, uh, thanks. I just like making lists; it's what I do :)
moab wrote:
There's a lockblade knife on there in addition to the multitool, AND I carry a small Gerber lockblade in my pocket. And a Zippo. Guess "pants pocket" should go on the list :)
moab wrote:
Maybe a change of socks.

Ah! Good suggestions, a paper map is a great backup! As a matter of fact, this IS what I consider my GBH as well as my EDC. The whole thing is small enough to be a "man purse," and it's Portland, OR... guys carry bookbags, knapsacks, murses, satchels, and outright hiking backpacks all over the place. My carrying a shoulder bag fits right in. It also carries my Chromebook, notebook, and other ordinary stuff.
But since I work from home where my BOB/INCH is, if I go anywhere I need to have a GBH with me and cars get broken into... so, it's gotta be my EDC as well.

Thanks for the tips!
I wonder what it would cost to print a map on to a bandanna?

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 pm

drop bear wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:11 pm
I LOVE IT! :D
https://burntpointlodge.com/products/silk-maps

moab

Post by moab » Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 pm
majorhavoc wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am
As long as the Zippo is always in your pocket and you're refilling it regularly. [...]
Oh, and make sure you function test that firestarter integrated into that paracord bracelet you have on your list. [...]
Zippo, yep, agreed. But I'm a pipe smoker so I carry it anyway :) But I agree with your caution!
I believe in redundancy (so long as it doesn't take up unnecessary space/weight to do so), which is why I ALSO have the flint/steel starter (on a thing that's also paracord, whistle, compass). And yeah, I have definitely checked if it works. Was scared at first because of the coating causing it to do nothing... then suddenly... BAM! Nice sparks! And kept sparking nicely each test after that.
If you want to seriously start fires. I would not rely on anything but a dedicated firesteel. It can be had cheap from ebay/china. Like $5 or less. For something in the 1/2"x4 or 5" range or smaller. doesn't have to be that big. Even 1/4"x4 or 5 is fine. But get one with a hole already cut in it for a paracord lanyard. Use glow in the dark or bright colored paracord. The last thing you want to lose is your ability to start fire. And an actual firesteel will do that for a much longer time than any of your lighters. Firesteel that comes on anything like a compass or whistle. Is for sure very low quality. And you can buy very high quality firesteel for a lot more than $5. That will throw even more sparks. I've just found the thick ones from china to be good enough. This is just one area you don't want to skimp on. And $5 isn't even skimping.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Mon May 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 pm
drop bear wrote:
That's a pretty rudimentary map. If you zoom for the detail. You can't see trails and roads until you get into a very small area. I would not rely on that. Your better off printing out a USGI map or buying one. Keeping it in a ziplock or laminating it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 20, 2019 7:11 pm

When it comes to critical gear like knives, firesteel, etc. it was on this very site I learned an important truism. There are only two color options; "hi-viz" and "lost".

I assume you already adhere to the, "two is one, one is none, three is better" viewpoint?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Mon May 20, 2019 7:22 pm

moab wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:58 pm
Mechphisto wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:17 pm
drop bear wrote:
That's a pretty rudimentary map. If you zoom for the detail. You can't see trails and roads until you get into a very small area. I would not rely on that. Your better off printing out a USGI map or buying one. Keeping it in a ziplock or laminating it.
Microfiber?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.trendh ... lly-fabmap

They are even doing stone paper maps these days.

https://www.panoramaresort.com/panorama ... stone-age/

Return to “Bug Out Gear”