Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Thought we might discuss these. ARe these good for field use or just ocean use? Great price. Anyone have any reviews or thoughts on this?

$155, normal prices $230-280

https://www.steepandcheap.com/ocean-sig ... Q3MDAwMDAz
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1

Post by raptor » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 pm

That is 406 khz epirb that transmits the lat/lon of the unit to the satellites. It is very effective albeit it only sends distress signal. If you use it it better be a real emergency. It will work land, sea or air. That is a good price. The battery has a 7 year life and other replacing the battery it requires no r&m.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:16 pm

It might be gone. I couldn't find it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 pm

raptor wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 pm
If you use it it better be a real emergency.
Waaaay back when I was a youngster cadet in the CAP, we'd get called out several times a year....and living here on the coast, we always found ourselves down at one of the marinas, looking for an epirb someone accidentally set off. The one time we thought we may have had an actual aircraft down, we ended up finding an epirb about 20 miles inland. Sumdood bought a boat, didn't know what the epirb was, so he took it home and put it in his garage. He was standing in his yard when we pulled up in our vehicles, wanting to know why that little blue and white plane was buzzing his house. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Steep and Cheap had the same sale last month and I didn't pull the trigger, kinda regretted it. Was surprised to see it on sale again this month so I picked one up.

The thing is pretty small, about the size of two tic-tac boxes stacked on each other.

They may have run out but I'd keep checking back.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 pm

AT that price. With no monthly fee. It seems like everyone going on a long hike or backpacking edventure should have one. I think I might have finally found one I can get behind.

Was just curious if these were a POS or not. Sounds good.

EDIT - It got the highest marks from Outdoor Gearlab. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/ ... cueme-plb1 Scroll to the bottom for rankings.

EDIT EDIT - I didn't realize these had sold out. What's the best place to get alerted of another deal? Anyone see these go on sale again please post.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:18 pm
raptor wrote:
Waaaay back when I was a youngster cadet in the CAP, we'd get called out several times a year....and living here on the coast, we always found ourselves down at one of the marinas, looking for an epirb someone accidentally set off. The one time we thought we may have had an actual aircraft down, we ended up finding an epirb about 20 miles inland. Sumdood bought a boat, didn't know what the epirb was, so he took it home and put it in his garage. He was standing in his yard when we pulled up in our vehicles, wanting to know why that little blue and white plane was buzzing his house. :crazy:
I hope he got sent a bill.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:57 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm
RickOShea wrote:
raptor wrote:
Those bills are no joke. Aircraft are expensive to operate. :shock:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:01 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:57 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm
RickOShea wrote:
raptor wrote:
Those bills are no joke. Aircraft are expensive to operate. :shock:
And he needed to learn it and pass it on to his buddies so they learn it too.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:42 am

I have looked at a different one for when I dive on an ocean again, it is rated to 425ft depth.
https://www.nautiluslifeline.com/
it is more nitch that the PLB1, but I though I would toss it out as an option.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:26 am

raptor wrote:
That is 406 khz epirb that transmits the lat/lon of the unit to the satellites. It is very effective albeit it only sends distress signal. If you use it it better be a real emergency. It will work land, sea or air. That is a good price. The battery has a 7 year life and other replacing the battery it requires no r&m.
Note that it transmits on 406 MHz and also 121.5 MHz

406 MHz is only for the satellite uplink with the GPS data and the 121.5 MHz is a homing beacon for the SAR folks to use for radio direction finding the same as for downed aircraft. http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/#specifications

I think that at the offered price the unit was a great deal.

I've been using a SPOT beacon with messaging for many years and they have steadily raised the fees to a nosebleed level. I've look at PLBs for a while now and will probably switch. Because of the many solo trips I go on I believe in having some sort of rescue beacon always with me.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:23 am

teotwaki wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:26 am
I've been using a SPOT beacon with messaging for many years and they have steadily raised the fees to a nosebleed level. I've look at PLBs for a while now and will probably switch. Because of the many solo trips I go on I believe in having some sort of rescue beacon always with me.
This what is keepig from getting something (SPOT X) :? :(

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:26 am

Note that it transmits on 406 MHz and also 121.5 MHz
...I've been using a SPOT beacon with messaging for many years and they have steadily raised the fees to a nosebleed level. I've look at PLBs for a while now and will probably switch. Because of the many solo trips I go on I believe in having some sort of rescue beacon always with me.
Normally if they transmit on 406mhz they will also use 121.5.

These types of beacons are very good and reliable. They are simple and work. They are not a replacement for SPOT messaging service but they will work very well for distress purposes.

If you set on off by accident here is the procedure for cancelling the call for distress.
http://hmsgmdss.blogspot.com/2013/04/pr ... tress.html

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm

raptor wrote:
That is 406 khz epirb ..............snip
raptor wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 pm

Normally if they transmit on 406mhz they will also use 121.5.
Current EPIRBs use 406 MHz as 406 KHz transmitting antennas are too bulky, LOL

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Kilohertz megahertz,potato,potato.... The EPIRBs work well and are a cost effective means of signaling for assistance. :D

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 pm

These are good kit. The only thing to look for at these prices is the expiration date. They have a 7 year warranty and battery life, and as Raptor said you can change them out in the field. The catch is new batteries run around $75, so if these units are at the end of their batter life that may explain the great deal.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:39 pm

wagdhead wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 pm
These are good kit. The only thing to look for at these prices is the expiration date. They have a 7 year warranty and battery life, and as Raptor said you can change them out in the field. The catch is new batteries run around $75, so if these units are at the end of their batter life that may explain the great deal.

That is great point especially if you buy a used unit. They are only as good as the remaining battery life.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:39 pm
wagdhead wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:36 pm
That is great point especially if you buy a used unit. They are only as good as the remaining battery life.
Even if you replaced the battery from scratch you are spending about $220 (with that discounted price) and bought a new battery every year you will be ahead compared to Spot. If you want a non-messaging unit you are still spending less than buying a Spot unit and paying a yearly fee. If you need messaging that is a different added value.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”