20 Volt Multi-Tool Sets: Opinions and Experiences

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: 20 Volt Multi-Tool Sets: Opinions and Experiences

Post by moab » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 pm

jor-el wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:04 pm

or

Is a 1/4 impact driver that useful? So long as it can work on passenger car lug nuts I suppose...

An angle grinder is kind of useful. Often need to cut metal stuff that's thick as a chain.
How does the top one compare to an air impact driver? I'm assuming it would be a great addition to a vehicle kit. If they put the cordless drill in this lineup on sale. I'm going to pull the trigger.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:44 pm

jor-el wrote:

or

Is a 1/4 impact driver that useful? So long as it can work on passenger car lug nuts I suppose...

An angle grinder is kind of useful. Often need to cut metal stuff that's thick as a chain.
I have an 18v Makita 1/4" drive impact that I use for stuff all the time. It's great for driving screws into wood, such as when screwing to the wall studs to hand a TV or monitor. No way will it do lugnuts, but it's awesome for a lot of other things.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:40 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:44 pm
jor-el wrote:

or

I have an 18v Makita 1/4" drive impact that I use for stuff all the time. It's great for driving screws into wood, such as when screwing to the wall studs to hand a TV or monitor. No way will it do lugnuts, but it's awesome for a lot of other things.
Can you use an impact gun like a drill? I'm completely unfamiliar with them. Except my air impact wrench which only takes sockets.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:40 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:40 pm
Can you use an impact gun like a drill? I'm completely unfamiliar with them. Except my air impact wrench which only takes sockets.
This is one reason why you see 1/2" cordless hammer drills. It really helps when driving screws into wood, especially if there's no pilot hole. I use the 1/4" impact the same way. It also works for driving sheet metal screws into heavy gauge material. For example, I put E-Tracks in my trailer for securing loads and drove the 7/16" self-drilling self-tapping screws into the steel framing of the trailer with my 1/4" impact and a socket.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:40 pm
moab wrote:
This is one reason why you see 1/2" cordless hammer drills. It really helps when driving screws into wood, especially if there's no pilot hole. I use the 1/4" impact the same way. It also works for driving sheet metal screws into heavy gauge material. For example, I put E-Tracks in my trailer for securing loads and drove the 7/16" self-drilling self-tapping screws into the steel framing of the trailer with my 1/4" impact and a socket.
So they take normal bits and have a high and low? Like a normal drill?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm
NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:40 pm
moab wrote:
So they take normal bits and have a high and low? Like a normal drill?
No high/low and they take bits that lock into them, like these:

Note the waist area (for lack of the proper term that escapes me at the moment) on the end that goes into the tool. That allows them to lock in.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 pm

moab wrote:
I suppose you could if you used hex shank drill bits. But honestly a dedicated drill driver is a much better tool for making holes and driving screws. A variable clutch is a godsend for ensuring you don't bury a screwhead into soft wood or drywall.

But also an impact driver is really a different animal than an impact gun (wrench). The former is great for things like driving lag bolts into pressure treated wood. The latter is better for say, oh, I don't know, removing stubborn sprocket anchor bolts on a Kawasaki KLR650, just to make up a totally random, hypothetical scenario.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 pm

1/2 is pretty standard drive for impact wrenches and lug nuts. I use 1/4 for things like battery terminals and trim panels. I can't really see it being useful for much that you would actually need an impact driver for. I have their 1/2 electric impact and most of the time I have to break them loose by hand. I actually burned up the first one I had on its first use and got a replacement.

I also think you'd be better served with a set of bolt cutters over the angle grinder for the stated purpose.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

moab

Post by moab » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Dewalt has there 20v cordless drill/driver on sale for $99. And it comes with 2 batteries instead of 1 like the HF.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-V ... /204279858

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:47 pm
moab wrote:
I suppose you could if you used hex shank drill bits. But honestly a dedicated drill driver is a much better tool for making holes and driving screws. A variable clutch is a godsend for ensuring you don't bury a screwhead into soft wood or drywall.

But also an impact driver is really a different animal than an impact gun (wrench). The former is great for things like driving lag bolts into pressure treated wood. The latter is better for say, oh, I don't know, removing stubborn sprocket anchor bolts on a Kawasaki KLR650, just to make up a totally random, hypothetical scenario.
You're splitting hairs with the terms "impact driver" and "impact gun". Now, between "impact drill" (commonly called a hammer drill - I may have used the wrong term earlier as I'm half asleep) and "impact gun", yes, there's a significant difference, most notably the lack of a high/low gear range that I previously stated, and the lack of a variable clutch, which you mention. The tool in question here is an impact driver, which sits halfway between a full-on impact gun and an impact drill/driver. It's generally got more blows per minute than a drill/driver, and a higher final torque rating, but not the kind of torque a full impact gun would have. I certainly would not advocate trying to drill anything with a 1/4" impact driver. Bosch probably does have impact rated masonry drills with 1/4" hex shanks, and you could probably use them in drilling holes in block walls, but a dedicated impact drill is really the way to go with that.

I've used all three tools in the past. Hell, I still have them all around here someplace in different sizes from 1/4" to 1". I'm not going to try using my SDS Hilti to drill holes in drywall to insert a molly, nor am I going to try using a 1/4" impact driver to loosen lug nuts on my GMC, my 1/2" drive air impact gun to put down deck planks, my 1/2" drill press for engraving jewelry, or my Dremel to drill holes in a concrete slab for Tapcons. Different jobs require different tools, and while a tool might be used for a job that doesn't always make it the best tool for the job. There's a lot of variables and variations here, both between the different tools and in the terminology involved. Bottom line though, I've found a 1/4", battery powered impact driver to be a very useful tool for things like putting small lag screws into a wood column to secure computer monitor swing arm mounts and into wall studs for TV mounts, for assembling steel shelving, various "tighten the nut and bolt" tasks that would normally involve a 1/4" or 3/8" ratchet, screwing hex head SDST sheet metal screws into heavy gauge sheet steel for mounting things like antenna brackets and cable anchors, and for driving home lightweight concrete anchors in poured slabs (after drilling the proper holes with an SDS impact drill). If you don't think it'll work for what you want to do, don'y buy/use it. Simple as that.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 pm

moab wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 pm
Dewalt has there 20v cordless drill/driver on sale for $99. And it comes with 2 batteries instead of 1 like the HF.

If you're not already invested in tools that use the HF batteries (or any other brand), sure, it's a good deal on a starting point for a complete set of battery powered tools. If you are already invested in a particular manufacturers line of battery powered tools though then it's probably best to stick with what you have.

Edit: The HF 1/2 drill/driver is currently $64.99 and comes with one 1.5 Ah battery (the DeWalt comes with a pair of 1.3 Ah batteries), but a second HF battery would only be another $19.99, for a total cost of $83.98 vs the $99 DeWalt deal. You could even splurge a bit and get a 3.0 Ah HF battery for $39.99, which would put you just above the DeWalt sale price but give you one battery that was significantly longer running.

That being said, I will in no way dispute that the DeWalt is probably a better quality tool. It comes down to what your needs are and what fits best in your tool collection.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:25 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 pm
moab wrote:

If you're not already invested in tools that use the HF batteries (or any other brand), sure, it's a good deal on a starting point for a complete set of battery powered tools. If you are already invested in a particular manufacturers line of battery powered tools though then it's probably best to stick with what you have.

Edit: The HF 1/2 drill/driver is currently $64.99 and comes with one 1.5 Ah battery (the DeWalt comes with a pair of 1.3 Ah batteries), but a second HF battery would only be another $19.99, for a total cost of $83.98 vs the $99 DeWalt deal. You could even splurge a bit and get a 3.0 Ah HF battery for $39.99, which would put you just above the DeWalt sale price but give you one battery that was significantly longer running.

That being said, I will in no way dispute that the DeWalt is probably a better quality tool. It comes down to what your needs are and what fits best in your tool collection.
Good point. I'm not invested into one type of battery. I'm mainly air tool or wired tool. Except for a drill. But I need a new drill. And probably down the road would love to get a cordless jigsaw. So ya. Point well taken. I should decide on one brand now. Thank you.

Not sure you made this point. But are either harder to find batteries for from China? Like on Ebay?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:45 am

moab wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:25 am
NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 pm
moab wrote:

Good point. I'm not invested into one type of battery. I'm mainly air tool or wired tool. Except for a drill. But I need a new drill. And probably down the road would love to get a cordless jigsaw. So ya. Point well taken. I should decide on one brand now. Thank you.

Not sure you made this point. But are either harder to find batteries for from China? Like on Ebay?
Personally, I'd steer well clear of eBay as a battery source for stuff like this. Too much fraud with worn out worthless crap cleaned up and sold as "New". And frankly, why bother? HF is always going to be about as cheap as you can find, and DeWalt is DeWalt, their prices and quality vary quite a bit but they too will always have promotions and sales you can take advantage of. Bear in mind, the most expensive component in sets like this is the battery. The drill itself is almost a giveaway. I have in the past bought tools I didn't need or really want, simply because the batteries that came with them were more expensive to buy on their own than the set. Case in point from about 15 years ago, I was heavily invested in Ryobi stuff because I was just getting back on my feet after being homeless. I had one of the big kits but really needed more batteries to work with but they were pretty expensive. It was hard to afford a $70 battery at that time for me. One day I walk into Home Depot and I see a display of some boxed Homelite brand battery operated yard equipment, There was a 10" chainsaw, a hedge trimmer, a pole pruner, two batteries, and a charger all for $49.00. Looking at the box I realized that the battery in the picture was a rebranded Ryobi 18v battery, selling at that time for $60-$70. I barely had enough money to cover it but bought the set for the two batteries. I spent the rest of the day trying to borrow money from people, intending to buy at least three more sets for six more batteries. When I went back the next morning at 6AM when they opened they were sold out. One of the ladies on the registers said, "Yeah, it was weird. We had contractors coming in yesterday buying them by the dozen." When I explained why to her and a few other employees there they all went, "Holy shit!" $120 worth of batteries for $49.00? Yeah, gimme all you got.

I still have the chainsaw and hedge trimmer. The batteries died long ago and are on the shelf in the garage because I keep forgetting to take them for recycling.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:55 pm

On the subject of those 1/4" impact drivers, I'm gonna just leave this here. The guy's not a great presenter, he repeatedly gets stuff wrong and uses the wrong terminology, but just watch the tools. These little impacts are strong. I have that same Makita model he's showing and I've driven similar lag screws with it, no problem.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Just picked up one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Vo ... /206159256

I have wanted a 12V compact air compressor for some time but kept putting it off. While I would still like a more serious unit I am fairly committed to my Ryobi infrastructure at this point and the new batteries make this more then the gimmick it would have been a few years ago. As small, light, and cheap as it is I think it is a good option for an apartment dweller like me that just needs to put 5psi in a tire or two every few months. The cordless nature is very fast and convenient, with no popping the hood or blowing fuses on a cigarette plug, and it was very nice to be able to hop from my wife's car to my own without re-setting up. I don't know if I will use it for much besides tires, but it would make a mean fire bellows as well.

As a bonus it fits perfectly in the 20mm ammo can I keep strapped in my car with all my tools and recovery gear.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:11 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm
Just picked up one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Vo ... /206159256

I have wanted a 12V compact air compressor for some time but kept putting it off. While I would still like a more serious unit I am fairly committed to my Ryobi infrastructure at this point and the new batteries make this more then the gimmick it would have been a few years ago. As small, light, and cheap as it is I think it is a good option for an apartment dweller like me that just needs to put 5psi in a tire or two every few months. The cordless nature is very fast and convenient, with no popping the hood or blowing fuses on a cigarette plug, and it was very nice to be able to hop from my wife's car to my own without re-setting up. I don't know if I will use it for much besides tires, but it would make a mean fire bellows as well.

As a bonus it fits perfectly in the 20mm ammo can I keep strapped in my car with all my tools and recovery gear.
Add a small air receptacle. Say a 2 gal tank. And you've got yourself a killer computer blow out device too. I've threatened to do this so many times. Instead of dismantling my computer and taking it into my shop. To my 40 gallon air compressor. I could just open the side and blow it out. It gets all over. But a vacuum fixes that. Easier than dismantling everything.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:50 pm

During the week that issue of the HF/Bauer stopping after "extended" use finally came up.

We've been doing wood laminate flooring for our upstairs hallway and we used the Bauer jigsaw to fit panels to existing molding and door frames.

During an especially long detail cut, the saw cut off; stopped 3/4 of the way. We had to wait a minute or so for the tool to "cool down".

Job was still done, but time has to be added in as a factor. May seriously consider getting better expendables such as blades.

Also, having shopped at Lowe's for some of the materials, this came up.

Porter Cable 20v Max 8 Tool Combo kit

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-8 ... 1000331409

At this particular store, they were having a sale on this at $50 of the lower price, which is $299, or $324 with tax. Doing the math, that's $40.50 per tool and comes with a charger and two batteries, 1 x 1.5Amp and 1 x 3.Amp.

Based on Youtube reviews, so far these don't seem to have the "cool down" issues of the HF/Bauer. Not industrial/contractor grade but a slightly better base warranty.

Thoughts about Porter Cable?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Did you know PC also makes 20v Lithium Max Nail guns?

My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”