2 pages of printed survival data?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

2 pages of printed survival data?

Post by moab » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm putting together a very small survival/first aid kit for my son who's going off to college. I have room to print out about 2 pages of data. And include it in the kit. First off I put family names, addresses and phone numbers. Emergency contacts. Maybe a copy of his insurance card. (I can reduce this stuff down and get it all on a couple pages.)

He doesn't have a lot of survival skills. What other info should I include? First aid? Navigation? It's not a lot of room. And I don't have room for a book. (Maybe the SAS Survival guide if I really cram it in there. Maybe I should just put that in there with the emergency contact and insurance stuff.) I think a couple pages with basic info would be a good addition though. Any ideas? Does something like this already exist? I'll start looking on google.

EDIT - The purpose would be for bugging in during a natural disaster and bugging out should he have to flee. I know that's asking a lot from 2 pages. But if a general survival 2 page guide exists that would fit. But still thinking the SAS book might be the ticket. And be done with it.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JayceSlayn

Re: 2 pages of printed survival data?

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Since they don't take up much room, maybe some general survival mindset "hints" would be something you could include. While they might come as second-nature to some people, others might benefit from some simple pointers. E.g:
Step 1: Assess the situation. Once you're out of immediate danger and have a chance to plan your next moves, you should try to stay two steps ahead of the situation. Try to assess what is going on, what your goal is, and what are the next problems you might face trying to achieve that goal.
Step 2: Assess your resources. Take an inventory of everything you have on you and around you. Think creatively about how to leverage what you have to the current task. If you don't look carefully first, you might overlook something you have that would be helpful. Remember that this applies to people you are with as well - rally them to help.
Etc.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm

These are the instructions made by Doug Ritter for the pocket survival pak:

http://www.dougritter.com/psp_survival_ ... s_0206.pdf

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 pm

JIM wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm
These are the instructions made by Doug Ritter for the pocket survival pak:

http://www.dougritter.com/psp_survival_ ... s_0206.pdf
Thank you. I'll add that to my files. I ended up fitting an SAS survival manual in the kit. He hasn't had to use it yet. But he's used several of the medications I sent along. And the leatherman for repairing and fixing things. It's been a success so far. :)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Why not just load some stuff on his phone and then give him a back up lithium battery for the phone?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:19 pm

Hasn't been "field tested " but - i picked up a couple early kindle readers. Pre wifi etc. And loaded several hundred pdfs and manuals on them along with a few kids books in addition to pdf scans of pertinent personal docs.
With a AA to usb micro adapter and a handful of Duracell quantums it charges quickly and will last several days of heavy use on a single charge - add in a small solar panel and its limitless.
It doesn't have capacity for tons of apps or thousands of document formats- it does one thing well, takes up minimal space, and can be had for cheap ($20-$30 bucks on fleabay). Uses far less power than a current smartphone or tablet and seem to be pretty rugged.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:13 pm
Why not just load some stuff on his phone and then give him a back up lithium battery for the phone?
Good idea!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:58 pm

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:07 am

there is an app called "Offline Survival Manual" that would fit the bill for his phone.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 pm

emclean wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:07 am
there is an app called "Offline Survival Manual" that would fit the bill for his phone.
Yes. I can get several. The original idea was a survival/first aid kit for a SHTF event. So the printed book was my goal. Or small printed material. In the case of power and cell outage. But I like the idea of adding an external battery pack. And survival info on his phone. We'll call this version Survival/First Aid kit 2.0. Remember it all fit into a small pouch that he could stash in his stuff. He's at a very liberal college in NY. Studying writing and film. And I had to research the only leatherman he could carry legally in NY. Which is the original LEatherman PST. I happened to have one. And put that in too.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:19 pm
Hasn't been "field tested " but - i picked up a couple early kindle readers. Pre wifi etc. And loaded several hundred pdfs and manuals on them along with a few kids books in addition to pdf scans of pertinent personal docs.
With a AA to usb micro adapter and a handful of Duracell quantums it charges quickly and will last several days of heavy use on a single charge - add in a small solar panel and its limitless.
It doesn't have capacity for tons of apps or thousands of document formats- it does one thing well, takes up minimal space, and can be had for cheap ($20-$30 bucks on fleabay). Uses far less power than a current smartphone or tablet and seem to be pretty rugged.
What model of Kindle? The classic? If your Kindles do not have wifi do they have a 3G cell/wireless option? How have the Kindle's batteries been doing?

I found some resources for identifying Kindle age and model types

https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/2014/0 ... dle-model/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201263790
http://compareebookreaders.com/kindle/k ... ndle-fire/
http://tiwizard.com/what-are-the-differ ... explained/
https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/20/1127 ... -this-time
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm

2 gen 4 kindles (pre paperwhite) wifi only, 1 1st gen paperwhite wifi only.
Ebay/craigslist "old". I get several days of moderate use on a single charge, and 2 - 3 charges from my no name 6aa LiOn pack.
Get at least a month of standby time on a 4th early paperwhite I use occasionally.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm
2 gen 4 kindles (pre paperwhite) wifi only, 1 1st gen paperwhite wifi only.
Ebay/craigslist "old". I get several days of moderate use on a single charge, and 2 - 3 charges from my no name 6aa LiOn pack.
Get at least a month of standby time on a 4th early paperwhite I use occasionally.
Well, it's all your fault, LOL!

I bought a new in the box Kindle Fire for $35. It has 8 GB internal and a mini SD card slot. Now I've downloaded my 800+ books off of Amazon onto a mem card so as to have a backup.

Thanks for the inspiration

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 pm

Excellent start. The fire tablets are ok, but don't have the battery life of the older pure e-readers - on the plus side they do more, and have more versatility.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 am

SRO1911 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 pm
Excellent start. The fire tablets are ok, but don't have the battery life of the older pure e-readers - on the plus side they do more, and have more versatility.
I figured age would go against them when buying used and it can be a crap shoot if the device was abused.

I read up on the Fire 7 and the reviewers considered the battery life to be as claimed by Amazon: mixed use (read/surf/video/music) at 8 hours continuous. They also advised turning on the power management options and simply turning the device off when not in use. I figured for reading only and wifi turned off it should go way past 8 hours.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”