One-person bug shelter question

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

One-person bug shelter question

Post by boskone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm looking to revise my GHB, and one of the "holes" is a bug-proof shelter to go under a poncho/tarp. I may be overthinking this.

I'm kinda leaning towards a Catoma IBNS. Packs pretty small, large enough to not have to brush the sides, setup's pretty easy (a few stakes).

I'm trying to avoid things that require more than a couple sticks, just on general principal; a lot of the treelines here end up on ridges as fields slump, so I might have to pitch in a field or whatever. Kinda rules out the "pyramid"-style shelters.

Tube tents and hooped bivvys don't really seem that desirable over a decent one-person tent.

Regular bivvys usually drape, but with the heat and humidity I don't want to have to sleep in a bag or liner in the summer.

Any suggestions? Assumptions I should revisit? Comments?

woodsghost

Re: One-person bug shelter question

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:05 pm

AO might be helpful.

In my experience two things work well. One is to put a mosquito net over my face, or wear a shemagh, and call it a night. Often that means I'll be lightly sleeping in my poncho liner. That is what I do when it is 70F-80F at night. I can still hear the mosquitos all night, but I'm usually safe.

Another option is to run a ridge line and hang a mosquito net from that. It creates a "safe zone" away from mosquitos and that is nice. It works with both ground sleeping and hammocks. I have a USGI mosquito net with ribbons meant to let me attach it to a ridgeline in that fashion.

I like my headnet because it is less gear to carry. Many people who camp in the Northeast (heavy mosquito country) use whole nets attached to ridgelines and enjoy the sanctuary.

You could run a line from a tree to the ground or run it from hiking pole to hiking pole. That hiking pole method would be more complicated but would work in a field.

Just a few thoughts and experiences.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

rooks

Post by rooks » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:01 am

The one issue I see with the Catoma IBNS (Catoma Burrow) is that whilst it packs flat, it's still approx 13" x 13". It doesn't pack/roll like your average tent, so you won't be able to strap it to the bottom of your pack. It'll have to go inside, or strapped to the back.

The Catoma Raider looks promising for packsize, but it is essentially a better built version of a hooped bivvy with removable poles, which you don't find desirable.

~ Russ

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:29 am

AO is important here. Ticks? Mosquitos? Anyone ever spent the night in LZ Buebird?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Oops, used to our location being under our name. I'm mostly around coastal Texas, with a pretty good bit of time spent out in west Texas.

The latter is why I would like to stay away from things that need trees: the mesquites out there are usually bendy, scrubby things that sway a lot in the ubiquitous winds (around 12mph). Finding a couple weather-hardened sticks for a tarp is usually doable, finding good trees not so much. (Mesquite's kinda weird: it's flexible live, but dried is hard and strong.)

Regarding netting, woodsghost, I have slept with netting draped over me and woken up with mosquito bites. I'm hoping to find something that keeps the skeeters away from me.

A pole or two's a possibility, though. Not sure why I didn't think of just doing that; good thing I asked. :p

rooks, the packdown size is odd, but I was thinking it could be strapped to the front of the pack rather than underneath. Still kinda spitballing at this point, and woodsghost pointing out I can in fact just use a couple sticks or rods to hold some netting is a really good suggestion.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:51 pm

If you don't want a head net Sportsman Guide has surplus bivy nets that cover the whole bag for about $10. I prefer a head net unless the bugs are really aggressive.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Plus one for headnets: great for Alaskan mosquitoes and also for nasty SoCal biting flies.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Burncycle

Post by Burncycle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Sounds like the IBNS is about perfect for that AO regarding simplicity of setup and being freestanding as you indicate. It sounds like you've already considered some other options and ran through the pros and cons.

There are other bug net tents out there for ultralight backpackers, including some with water resistant "tub" bottoms to be used in conjunction with tarps. They'll accomplish the same goal and pack down even smaller since they usually aren't freestanding, but that means they rely on hiking poles if the trees are unsuitable or not available as in your area. Plus they're usually offputtingly expensive.

The new USMC Bivy has a mosquito headnet and wire to keep it off your face, but as you indicate the rest of the bivy lays on you, and that's not going to be comfortable in the heat and humidity. It's good for crashing anywhere (foxhole, ground too hard for stakes, whatever), but that's about the extent of the pros.

So the thought process naturally shifts from a Bivy to a Bivy tent with supports to get it off you (Like the Catoma Raider, or the far less expensive civilian equivalent, Eureka Solitaire), but then it's not really fish nor fowl. The solitaire requires a billion stakes, and unless you're just going to sleep in it, you'll find yourself wanting to sit up in it since it's ALMOST a tent and if it was only a little taller you'd be able to sit up, get refuge from bugs, and do stuff other than just sleeping. So we're back to tents which is about as far away from a basic tarp shelter as it gets. So now let's look into ultralight / minimal (but full featured) tents... and then the cost shoots back up!

I've been through this cycle myself, ranging from ALICE Hellcat decked out 4 season gear including MSS system, to a daypack sized kit with <5 lbs shelter that will get me safely down to 32 degrees... and with as much as I spent on all this stuff throughout the years, I probably could have just gotten one of those full featured minimalist tarptents like the Tarptent Notch and been done with it.

If you're okay with the IBNS's drawbacks (not being able to sit up and not nearly as packable as some other gear) it may be the best compromise for now to achieve the goals without breaking the bank. Otherwise you'll have to compromise elsewhere -- even if you buy once / cry once for something like a tarptent, you'll need to carry walking sticks or hope you can find suitable natural substitutes.

MegaWoodsWalker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by MegaWoodsWalker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:01 pm

I have slept out in bug season with no net. It really really sucked. Literally. Also hanged out in the Big Cypress and got really chewed up badly I show some poncho/tarp setups in this video.

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:42 pm

I've got four of these https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1902300 which I think is what you are talking about. We use them in June brook trout fishing based out of lean to/Andarondaks in northern Maine. Nobody complains about bugs while sleeping. Although they don't compress they are like a fat frisbee. They fit in a medium ALICE or one of my 20 in pack paskets. The cover also has straps allowing them to be secured on the outside. I like them.

reppans

Post by reppans » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:54 am

A single pole pyramid is the most weight/pack-space efficient double-walled shelter that you can get with a good sit-up-inside height and plenty of floor space for storing gear; not to mention about the strongest to handle high winds, shed heavy snow; quickest to set-up takedown; and with a freely modular interior between true bathtub-floored double-wall and a giant floorless vestibule (leave shoes on, use a camp chair, cook, dig a latrine.... while inside).

A pyramid fly with generous peak vent has a very cool nature bug deterrent by itself (without inner net tent) - IMHO ~95% reduction via the flying bug's own survival instincts** and enough so that I personally leave my inner tent collapsed, except for sleeping (when I'm oblivious), which gives me more interior room, no doors to zip though, and I can leave shoes on. Still have the 100% full net protection option for truly nasty skeeter conditions, but I haven't needed it yet. Other pryamid users report similar.

Mine weighs 30oz with pole, polycryo footprint, and stakes, packs to ~2.5L, cost me ~$200 on holiday sales, and doubles as a rain poncho/pack cover (and a few other things). Gatewood Cape/Serenity NetTent.

**they don't want to enter a trapped space, and those that do will quickly seek escape via elevation and light - if the peak vent is generous and bright enough (mine is a head hole) it's like having a self-bug-bailer.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:33 pm

I carry an extra pack of matches. I chew up the matchheads before a night of fishing and have no problem.
Henry David Thoreau

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm

That's why I love my bivy sack, has zip shut with netting/mesh panel that I can look out or pull over hood to cover all up.
Packs up to bread loaf size.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

cap6888

Post by cap6888 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Robbie in ME wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:42 pm
I've got four of these https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1902300 which I think is what you are talking about. We use them in June brook trout fishing based out of lean to/Andarondaks in northern Maine. Nobody complains about bugs while sleeping. Although they don't compress they are like a fat frisbee. They fit in a medium ALICE or one of my 20 in pack paskets. The cover also has straps allowing them to be secured on the outside. I like them.
I wonder about one of these combined with a basha or other light tarp for a rain cover. Can anyone who has one advise how waterproof the bottom is? Is it gore Tex? Is it a "bathtub" type bottom?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:33 pm
I carry an extra pack of matches. I chew up the matchheads before a night of fishing and have no problem.
This sounds crazy. I"m not saying your wrong. I'm worried about the health effects. Do you swallow the match head material? I am nervous about this, but I would love to hear it really works. Will someone else try it and report back? :)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Having lived in countries with lots of exotic mosquito borne diseases (malaria, dengue, Japanese encephalitis and Chikungunya) I will share the following observations. Mosquitos will usually bite you if your bare skin makes contact with the net. In hotels, motels, turning the A/C and fan to full really screws them up. In the field a mosquito net or head net, with this: PERMETHRIN http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html

You can buy it from various places and it is a contact pesticide for clothing, despite the consumer packaging labeled as "repellent."
Image Image

Mosquito lands on it, Dead!
Tick walks on it, Dead!
Black flies crawl on it, Dead!
Neidermeyer, Dead!

Just spread your net out on the front lawn or parking lot, spray the one side, flip it over and spray the other. Just do the exterior of your head net.

This is a pesticide, not a repellent, so save the DEET for your skin. A garment sprayed with permethrin is good for about 20 washes before needing re-treatment. I wash my netting once or twice a year. It's going to protect me for a long time.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

moab

Post by moab » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 pm
Having lived in countries with lots of exotic mosquito borne diseases (malaria, dengue, Japanese encephalitis and Chikungunya) I will share the following observations. Mosquitos will usually bite you if your bare skin makes contact with the net. In hotels, motels, turning the A/C and fan to full really screws them up. In the field a mosquito net or head net, with this: PERMETHRIN http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html

You can buy it from various places and it is a contact pesticide for clothing, despite the consumer packaging labeled as "repellent."
Image Image

Mosquito lands on it, Dead!
Tick walks on it, Dead!
Black flies crawl on it, Dead!
Neidermeyer, Dead!

Just spread your net out on the front lawn or parking lot, spray the one side, flip it over and spray the other. Just do the exterior of your head net.

This is a pesticide, not a repellent, so save the DEET for your skin. A garment sprayed with permethrin is good for about 20 washes before needing re-treatment. I wash my netting once or twice a year. It's going to protect me for a long time.
Wow. I've heard of "Permethrin". But did not know it killed on contact. That is some secret spy stuff there. Thank you for the info. Will it work on other clothing as well? Wool etc. etc?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:32 pm

moab wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Wow. I've heard of "Permethrin". But did not know it killed on contact. That is some secret spy stuff there. Thank you for the info. Will it work on other clothing as well? Wool etc. etc?
Actually it is a synthetic version of a extract from chrysanthemums. If you ever had to use NIX on your kids, thats permethrin at 1% strength.

Yes, it works on all fabrics including wool. During tick season, treat your socks and trousers, the tuck them into your socks and tramp in the bush with confidence.

Can't recall if it was CDC or USAMRIID that reported a 98% effectiveness when DEET is used on the skin and permethrin on clothing.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 am

So yeah, I swallow the match heads. My grandpa taught me this. If you eat the so-called beef or chicken patty from a vending machine or fast-food drive thru a bit of sulphur and paper shouldn't scare you. You might prefer to buy OFF or something similar but let's say you squirrel hunt every morning once the season comes in...you'll eventually run out or forget it. Matches.

I don't know, maybe more people are trying to go outside for more than a minute but the big tick scares and mosquito-borne disease fear is part of the "mind virus" (LOL) of the modern day. It's not real new. It's why the military gives you 41 shots and makes you swallow giant pills before deploying to most shitholes. The infantry battalions I served in also issued the little green bottles of bug juice which kept you from being bit but did nothing for the incredibly loud dogfights skeeters like to have around your head when you try to sleep. The added bonus with the bug juice, we liked to say, was that if you put it on extra heavy you could trip for an hour or so instead of sleeping (wow, did you see that big one pull an immelmann turn man...this DEET rocks!). After '90, the units I was in issued cans of Permethrin as well and the post exchange had cases of it. I would spray the legs of my cammies, socks and jungle boots until they were wet and then let it dry overnight. Where I grew up in a rural area one could always feel a tick walking on them but then at Camp Lejeune I discovered really tiny ones so I used the Permethrin. I went for a run with my Chesapeake once and was playing a game of hide n seek with her. No bug protection. She had shots. At one point I buried myself under some pine needles. When I got home, I was sitting on my back porch when I noticed what I thought were ants on my legs. It was dozens and dozens of these really tiny ticks. I had to scrape them off with a butter knife. At the opposite end was the tick that you might find on the back of a coon hound after he's been out for a workout all night. I've seen them swell up to nearly the size of quarter. That lady who likes to squeeze out pus people seem to be fascinated with these days ought to add tick-poppin' as it may add to more utube views...

Historically, bugs beat bullets when it comes to death. There is no new thing under the sun.
Henry David Thoreau

Robbie in ME

Post by Robbie in ME » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:34 pm

cap6888 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm
Robbie in ME wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:42 pm
I wonder about one of these combined with a basha or other light tarp for a rain cover. Can anyone who has one advise how waterproof the bottom is? Is it gore Tex? Is it a "bathtub" type bottom?
I would run a ground sheet. https://catoma.com/product/merchandise/ ... 1p/burrow/ says ripstop nylon they offer a ground sheet https://catoma.com/product/merchandise/ ... oundsheet/ and various covers https://catoma.com/product-category/mer ... /shelters/.

RapidM4
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
George A. Romero zombie films

Post by RapidM4 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:47 am

Check out the range of Superlight Mesh Tents by DD Hammocks.

https://www.ddhammocks.com/products/tents

Return to “Bug Out Gear”