My Mobile BOL

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

My Mobile BOL

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:08 pm

I say that a bit tongue in cheek, as this is just my car camping setup, but it would be used as such if I had to get some alone time in the woods for whatever reason, or simply as a vehicle bug out shelter kit on a longer trip.
Currently I am limited to a smaller hatchback (Honda Fit) so a more intense shelter like a wall tent, yurt, or hexayurt is off the table for now.

the core shelter:

A Seek Outside 6 man tipi. An 8 would be better for this but the 6 is small enough to manpack in a pinch. I currently have two poles, one carbon fiber and one beefy aluminum, I have a mix of army surplus and recreational stakes, but I should buy some more of the surplus ones as they have proven their worth when weight isn't a concern.

A hammock and straps for some camp furniture, a Seek Outside two person nest for bug and ground protection, and a recently added tomahawk for stake pounding duties. I may swap this out for a larger hatchet/hawk or simply a dedicated hammer.

A bit redundant, but in the white dry bag is a second tipi in case of tent failure or in case I can't find enough open ground to pitch the 6 man. Still large enough for me and the wife, but less comfortable. With my two poles I could also setup this as a guest house, but I should throw in some more stakes to make that practical. Next to that is a Kelty Noah's tarp 12' for awning/porch use. In the ziplock baggy is a string of LED "fairly lights" from eBay that plugs into any USB power source for soft tent lighting, and a Black Diamond AA lantern for brighter task lighting. The orange things are large inflatable REI InCamp mats that clipped together make an almost queen sized bed and some ground insulation. Bonus picture of smaller tipi:

The only reason I don't include bedding in this is it maxes out my North Face Basecamp duffle that it all fits in so nicely. For trips or emergency use we'd either add our sleeping bags from our BOBs or more tradition bedding from our house.

In use a few weekends ago:

This was the first use of the awning in this setup, and because I didn't know you weren't allowed to guy out to trees at this campground I had to wing it with the poles; the third pole was recruited from my INCH bag I'd taken on a whim. Despite how large our tent is, getting stuck in it during storms is still a drag, and I now consider an awning tarp a must have for both morale and productivity.

My water system was crude but useful, for a longer trip or an emergency I'd throw in another MWC.

Since my SOP is more or less to at least get out of site of the car before setting up camp I'm experimenting with pack frames to make fewer trips. Here you can see my camp kitchen, some food, and our cooler strapped to a MOLLE II frame for easy packing. I think two or three of these could carry a pretty self sufficient medium term camp; Perhaps one for kitchen and food, one for shelter and bedding, and one for water etc.

It had been a long time since I'd car camped (for a long time we slept in the back of our car more often then setting up a tent) so I was a bit rusty. Things I'd like to add to round this out:

1) more guyline. I had enough for this trip, but more would have been needed to weather a storm.

2) more poles. In case I can't use trees again for whatever reason, I'd like at least two more dedicated tarp poles for a covered living area.

3) more robust water system. A big filter that plays nice with the MWCs and perhaps a tripod for gravity filtering and gravity feeding water could be handy.

4) A larger cooler. I debate a large cooler's usefulness in a BO situation, but perhaps being able to take some of the fridge and freezer with you on the way out could be good. Likely the cooler would be left with the car and not packed to camp like the rest of the food and cook gear. For car camping the utility is obvious.

5) A sacrificial tarp. Since I am used to backpacking (taking down your tent every morning) I forget how much UV your shelter can soak up if you are stationary for a few days or longer. I'd like my tipi to last for many years yet, so especially in sunny Colorado at high elevation a cheap, consumable tarp could save me a lot of money in the long run.

6) more stakes. I had only 2-3 spares with this setup, and certainly couldn't pitch both tents and an awning. I would have need more if I was going to pitch the tipi for a real storm.

Lots of other stuff I could add, but more intense tools, power infrastructure, security, and food topics I think are better left for separate threads.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Stercutus

Re: My Mobile BOL

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:20 pm

more robust water system. A big filter that plays nice with the MWCs and perhaps a tripod for gravity filtering and gravity feeding water could be handy.
Whenever we used a water jug for a hand-washing station or a water point we always inverted the can fully 180 for more pressure. Unless it is very windy out it is surprisingly stable.

If you scroll down to the Hydrowell on this page there is an interesting filtration system. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well it works.

http://www.htiwater.com/divisions/milit ... ducts.html
A sacrificial tarp.
I'd find an old tent at a yard sale. You can cut it and make it the way you like it. Tent material is normally much more UV resistant.
A larger cooler.
A big cooler ins't just a cooler. It is a chair, table, storage box, water supply, drink dispenser etc. With wheels it is even more useful.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Top of my filter list is a katadyn siphon, field cleanable and no moving parts. Cheap too, just hope it's small enough to fit through the opening on the MWCs. I'll definitely try the 180* trick next time, I found out getting some vacuum in the jug (underventing) was the secret to getting rid of the constant tiny dripping I could never quite eliminate before.

Most tents are going to be a bad shape and size for covering a tipi no matter how much you cut them up; likely end up looking like a Goode Projection. Non-crappy poly tarps still have a UV lifespan measured in months or years, and recreational tarps (such as the Kelty) have the same UV treatment as tents. I already have several tarps in the same fabric as the tipi that would be cheaper to replace but I'd rather go even cheaper yet.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:51 pm

Whenever we went to Port Aransas, TX I hung a black plastic jug, on back of jeep, with hose attached to it to clean ourselves of sand before getting in jeep. Would be warm too.
Got it from camping store, sold as solar shower.
Been camping in rv with water hose sitting in sun, would get hot enough to wash dishes without lighting water heater.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”