Looking for reviews of compact binoculars?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Looking for reviews of compact binoculars?

Post by moab » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:30 pm

I read a nice "how to buy binos" on opticsplanet. So I know I want the larger variety. I forget the prism name off the top of my head. Probably looking for 8x25 or so.

But then when you look at like "top 10 compact binoculars" on google you get the same regurgitated sites that just show stuff from amazon. And base all their reviews on them. Or a bird watching site that only shows high end stuff.

Anyone got any leads on reputable binocular reviews? Maybe I'll try Audubon Society or other birding places. But if you have any help it would be greatly appreciated.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Re: Looking for reviews of compact binoculars?

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:31 am

You will be out some bread but buy once, cry once. You will be completely satisfied with them.

https://www.adorama.com/st832xc.html?gc ... gKXTvD_BwE
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:13 am

They are not compact but are great in the marine environment. Fijion 7x50 with or without the compass are truly water proof and durable. They are also big and heavy.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:16 am

They are not compact but are great in the marine environment. Fijinon 7x50 Mariner with or without the compass are truly water proof and durable. They are also big and heavy. They should come with a flotation strap.

It is hard to beat 7x50 for low light viewing. It is also hard getting beaten up by them lugging them around on land.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by EBuff75 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:37 am

Question, did you read the Optics Planet article on choosing compact binoculars, because they do have one that is specific to that type. https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how- ... ulars.html There are some recommendations for binos in the article for three different categories: corrected roof prism, premium compact roof prism, and porro prism. Might be a good place to start looking.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:52 pm

EBuff75 wrote:Question, did you read the Optics Planet article on choosing compact binoculars, because they do have one that is specific to that type. https://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/how- ... ulars.html There are some recommendations for binos in the article for three different categories: corrected roof prism, premium compact roof prism, and porro prism. Might be a good place to start looking.
Ya. that's the article I started with. I'm looking closely at these waterproof Leupold's. https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Rogue-8x ... Leupold+8x

$89 and they get excellent reviews. Even on the shitty review sites. lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Bug Out Gear”